PDA

View Full Version : 4e - Multiclassing that (hopefully) works

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-22, 06:55 PM
I've tried and failed to post this several times but my comp continued to crash. And so, there are no spoilers. Enjoy this unspoilerific homebrew.

Cleric Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You can use Healing Word once per encounter.
Feat 2: You gain access to Channel Divinity features
Feat 3: You can use Healing Word as a normal cleric.
Feat 4: You gain the Healer’s Lore class feature. You are considered a cleric for the purposes of meeting any requirements. You can pick powers from either your base class or your cleric class when you gain access to new powers. You may use a holy symbol as an implement when casting cleric powers and cleric paragon path powers with the implement keyword.

Fighter Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You may use Combat Challenge twice per encounter
Feat 2: You gain the Fighter Weapon Talent class feature
Feat 3: You can use Combat Challenge as a normal fighter.
Feat 4: You gain the Combat Superiority class feature. You are considered a fighter for the purposes of meeting any requirements. You can pick powers from either your base class or your fighter class when you gain access to new powers.

Paladin Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You may use Divine Challenge twice per encounter
Feat 2: You may use Lay on Hands as a normal paladin
Feat 3: You may use Divine Challenge as a normal paladin
Feat 4: You gain access to Channel Divinity class features. You are considered a paladin for the purposes of meeting any prerequisites. You can pick powers either from your base class or your cleric class when you gain access to new powers. You may use a holy symbol or a holy avenger as an implement for paladin powers and paladin paragon path powers with the implement keyword.

Ranger Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You may use Hunter’s Quarry twice per encounter
Feat 2: You gain one of the two ranger fighting styles and the Prime Shot feature
Feat 3: (Prereq: Either Toughness or Defensive Mobility) You may use Hunter’s Quarry as a normal ranger. You are considered a Ranger for the purposes of meeting any prerequisites. You can pick powers either from your base class or your ranger class when you gain access to new powers.

Rogue Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You may use Sneak Attack twice per encounter
Feat 2: You gain a Rogue Tactic feature
Feat 3: You gain the First Strike and Rogue Weapon Talent features.
Feat 4: You may use Sneak Attack as a normal Rogue. You are considered a Rogue for the purposes of meeting any prerequisites. You can pick powers either from your base class or your rogue class when you gain access to new powers.

Warlock Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You may use Warlock’s Curse twice per encounter
Feat 2: You select a Warlock Pact. You gain this pact’s pact boon.
Feat 3: You may use Warlock’s Curse as a normal warlock. You also gain the Prime Shot feature.
Feat 4: You gain the at-will power that is associated with your pact. You are considered a Warlock for the purposes of meeting any prerequisites. You can pick powers either from your base class or your warlock class when you gain access to new powers. You can use rods, wands and pact blades as implements for your warlock powers and warlock paragon path powers with the implement keyword.

Warlord Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You can use Inspiring Word once per encounter
Feat 2: You gain the Combat Leader class feature
Feat 3: You can use Inspiring Word as a normal Warlord
Feat 4: You gain a Warlord Commanding Presence. You are considered a Warlord for the purposes of meeting any prerequisites. You can pick powers either from your base class or your warlord class when you gain access to new powers.

Wizard Feat Multiclass Progression

Feat 1: You can use Cantrips and one at-will power as encounter powers
Feat 2: (Prereqs Ritual Caster) You gain additional free rituals as a Wizard would
Feat 3: You can cast cantrips and your selected at-will power as a normal wizard.
Feat 4: You gain a Spellbook and an Arcane Implement Mastery feature. You are considered a Wizard for the purposes of meeting any prerequisites. You can pick powers either from your base class or your warlord class when you gain access to new powers. When you gain access to new daily or utility powers, you gain an additional choice of power from the Wizard spell list (two more with Expanded Spellbook). You can prepare either a power from your spellbook or a power from your base class at the beginning of each day. You may use a staff, wand or orb as an implement blah blah blah.

Note: This system completely replaces the system in the PHB. "Paragon Multiclassing" does not work as explained therein. As such, this method leaves no way of "swapping" at-will powers, or powers you took before getting the final feat (barring retraining). In order to retrain any feat in this progression, you would first have to retrain any feats that have it as a prerequisite. The rule of one multi-class per character still applies.

EDIT: Ok, new rule has been applied based on some feedback. These feats cannot be taken after Heroic Tier. This is to mechanically balance the, well, mechanic, but also to reflect that at Paragon Tier, one's character is focusing on training their Paragon Path disciplines at Paragon Tier, and would be far too far along in their career to learn a whole new class at epic. While they are still getting a feel for their own strength is when they can use these multiclassing feats.

Tuataralad
2008-09-22, 07:16 PM
I think this is quite well done. I have to agree that the multicalss system in the PHB is really, well, bad. I mean, it costs two feats just to get one power from that class, which is really annoying, because frankly, those two feats could go to beter things. This is also a lot of feats, but at least you get the full benefit of the class instead of one power per feat. I seriously hope that they will revise the official stuff for multiclassing though, because it just looks really unappetizing right now. The only thing is that for the first feat in your system, it lets you use the classes main ability or whatever two times per encounter, and while this seems good, many classes have a more useful one of these than others (like, I would much rather have sneak attack than combat challenge). Anyway, good overall, keep the homebrew coming.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-23, 07:03 AM
stuff

Thanks, for the input. I'll get to work on Swordmage and solve the problem of Spellscarred when I get the FRPG.

Zocelot
2008-09-23, 04:20 PM
It's very overpowered. With just 4 feats (Trivial at epic levels, but still easily possible at Paragon or even Heroic, you essentially become completely another class. No character wouldn't take them ASAP.

The original multiclass feats are balanced, albeit useless in some situations. You'd be better fixing the few problems that do appear (which is pretty much only PPs that depend on class abilities), rather then a complete overhaul of the system.

I think this is quite well done. I have to agree that the multicalss system in the PHB is really, well, bad. I mean, it costs two feats just to get one power from that class, which is really annoying, because frankly, those two feats could go to beter things. .

I'll have to disagree with you. Powerwise, multiclass feats > nearly every non class or race specific feats. Having to spend two feats is something that most people have more then enough room for by the end of the Heroic Tier.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-23, 05:52 PM
It's very overpowered. With just 4 feats (Trivial at epic levels, but still easily possible at Paragon or even Heroic, you essentially become completely another class. No character wouldn't take them ASAP.

The big thing is, you can't qualify for another class's Paragon Path if you take all the feats after heroic tier. And the feats aren't outrageously powerful; there is no reason I would always take one of these multiclass feats over a basic feat. Taking these only in Heroic Tier, you would have 2 feats left over to spend on other things. Which leaves very little room to fill with racial feats, superior weapon proficiencies, and skills, among other things. I would consider making it a 5 feat system where the 4th feat is simply a class feature, and the 5th feat gives one access to the class's powers (leaving one non-MC feat at heroic levels).

On another note, I have the FRPG and Swordmage and Spellscarred will soon follow.