PDA

View Full Version : GitP's Escape the Room: Reality Edition!

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 06:55 PM
:smallbiggrin: I... um...

I seem to be trapped...

the door handle has broken off, the bar mechanism inside is warped and the door is... very much closed.

I'm currently on the third floor and know nobody in phone distance who can come open it from the other side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get out?

:smallredface:

Hope the changed title draws more help.

Spiryt
2008-09-22, 07:01 PM
Well this is indeed original... :smallwink:

I would naturally try to shout and get someone nearby to open it.

Is somebody near?

Alternatively, you can just wait.

Or use your body momentum, but I suspect that you don't want to destroy your door any further...

And if you need someone here to give some smart advise, you should describe your door, suroundings.

mercurymaline
2008-09-22, 07:03 PM
Er, you're on a computer, is there someone in the building you can e-mail?

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:08 PM
I'm in a house. My neighbors are... not gonna hear me, to say the least.

I'm home alone but for two cats.

And the door is about two centimetres inset into the frame...carding it's not going to work.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:10 PM
Door's pretty solid wood, and there will be some deadly fallout if I break it down. Not to mention, it's at the base of a fairly steep corner staircase; momentum won't be easy.

Leaves me landline and cell, computer, full washroom and... a mini bag of Doritos. My toolkit is just beyond the door; I MAY have a screwdriver.

Spiryt
2008-09-22, 07:12 PM
What "broken" and "warped" mean, anyway? Can you manipulate lock anyhow, (use something as a handle, for example)?

Also, do the door open to the inside, or outside? :smallamused:

EDIT: Anyway, calling some locksmith would be probably easier, although would certainly be costly...

Lex-Kat
2008-09-22, 07:12 PM
How about calling the police.

Mr. Moon
2008-09-22, 07:13 PM
Oh my.

This happened to me in a video game once.
I think I died.
:smallamused:

Are you in a house, an appartment building, etc? And more importantly, are you alone? Will anyone be coming?

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:13 PM
Door would swing away from me to open.

Warped = the rectangular casing is itself loose; one side is bent out maybe 1 mm and another bent ~3mm. Inserting anything into it just helps it rattle loosely.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:15 PM
Once again; it's a pretty true-to-life Escape The Room:

Three-story house. I am on the third floor, which I have entire access to. There is no fire escape. The way down is a staircase with an outward-swinging wooden door at the bootom. The staircase is cornered and steep-set - not good for building momentum. And breaking down the door is currently not an option.

Nobody will be coming. The only other person who lives here left yesterday for a six-day trip.

The only person I can call is currently at a concert and probably very drunk. He's also got his phone turned off.

Mr. Moon
2008-09-22, 07:17 PM

This, sir, is truely impressive. I applaud your getting-trapped-ness.

The only way I can think of to get the door fixed is to take it out, so you might as well do that. Break it down, m'boy!

Suzuro
Any long, small cylindrical items you can use to get the hinges off?

-Suzuro

afroakuma
Hundreds of pencils and pens.

I'll go give one a shot.

Update: They won't fit.

Jack Squat
2008-09-22, 07:18 PM
Does your door open towards or away from you? It sounds like it may open towards you if there's stairs right at the doorway.

If so, easy way is pop out the hinges.

If not, are there screws on the doorknob?

If there are, you completely undo the doorknob on your end, and twist the little bar that turns the knob manually. I had one door at a friends where the inside was actually bent, and the door was jammed shut. I managed to pry it back far enough that it came out diagonally, but it's not the smartest choice.

If none of these options are avaliable, is there a window you can get out of? You say you're on the third floor, but plenty of places have balconies or roofs that you can get onto. We have one of those chain ladder fire escape things, so those are also an option if you can get your hands on one.

If all else fails, call someone and get them to come by with a screwdriver and a hammer so they can pry the outer hinges out..

EDIT: Looks like you're going with the hinge route...I recommend against pens or pencils...most won't fit up underneath the hinges to move the pin up. Do you have any screwdrivers or small metal tubes? Good scissors will probably work, but it's best for you to list what you do have.

Spiryt
2008-09-22, 07:19 PM
The only person I can call is currently at a concert and probably very drunk. He's also got his phone turned off.

Well, you have a net and phone . I'm pretty sure calling some locksmith or police would work.

Of course if you don't want to do the breaking - but if a lock is already only reapair worth, it may be not so bad.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:20 PM
The door swings away to open. The doorknob was a fancy handle joined to a "screwless plate" - a plate that contains the screw and hides the heads. Not that it matters, as the entire handle came off.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:22 PM
For reasons related to my neighborhood, the police are not an option. Neither is a locksmith, really.

Suzuro
2008-09-22, 07:22 PM
Wait, so, can you see the actual 'hole' where the handle usually fits into?

-suzuro

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:23 PM
I do have Allen keys up here though. I'll try a few.

And yes, I can see most of the hole. The handle on the other side is intact. The manual bar mechanism is what's warped.

Jack Squat
2008-09-22, 07:24 PM
The door swings away to open. The doorknob was a fancy handle joined to a "screwless plate" - a plate that contains the screw and hides the heads. Not that it matters, as the entire handle came off.

You should be able to twist it off to access the screws. I don't have one of these with me, so I can't verify that. Either way, if you can get it off to be able to work at the inner bits, do so.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:26 PM
The screws are joined to the external plate and have torn out of the wood completely. The only metal in the wood right now is the key lock and the metal casing for the manual bar.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-22, 07:28 PM
There's NOBODY within a few miles of where you live that can bust you out? Are you cool with waiting for the person you can call to get sober? Most importantly, do you have a bathroom?

Suzuro
2008-09-22, 07:30 PM
Well..if you can see the actual mechanism, then a last resort would obviously be to break that and move the bolt out of the way.

Besides that..hmm, allen wrenches....tried them in the hinges? Although you may need something hard to hit them with. (A rock or something to simulate a hammer)

-Suzuro

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:31 PM
I live in... a wealthier neighborhood. Most of my immediate neighbors are not home. The few who are would call the police to report a civic disturbance. Calling the police myself would of course bring the police, which would be seen as bad. Most of my normal contacts are unavailable due to being out of the city, having their cell phones off or having their cell phones dead. One of them has her cell phone HERE, which is SO useful.

That said, I do have a bathroom, bedroom, TV, internet, all that good stuff.

Spiryt
2008-09-22, 07:33 PM
Do you have any camera?

If somebody ITP can help you with lock, he will certainly do it better if he have seen actual lock, and what's wrong with it.

Jack Squat
2008-09-22, 07:33 PM
The screws are joined to the external plate and have torn out of the wood completely. The only metal in the wood right now is the key lock and the metal casing for the manual bar.

by metal casing, are you talking about the latch mechanism? (the middle bit (http://www.masterdoorlock.com/images/illustrations/large/ext_locking.gif)

I had to get a door open with one of those being jammed once...it was actually a bit of a miracle that I got it out...Ended up using a screwdriver and basically bash/pry it out.

If it'll twist, grab anything that'll fit in and give it a turn...they don't take that much pressure.

Why wouldn't emergency services respond to a call saying you're stuck in your house?

EDIT: I see, it's a matter of pride. if you're stuck call...it's not like they're going to race there with sirens blaring.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:35 PM
If I summon the police it will make a neighborhood stink bomb. This place is a bit bad for that sort of thing.

The pic you posted? The leftmost mechanism there, the rectangular portion sticking out from the center? The inner rod is gone and the metal casing around it is bent.

And yeah; camera is the one thing I DON'T have.

Cyrano
2008-09-22, 07:38 PM
So call the firemen.

Jack Squat
2008-09-22, 07:39 PM
The other end of the doorknob is the only bit left in the door? I'm going to assume it's stuck to the latch. Do you have a hammer, or something else you can jab at it with some force? I've got a sheet metal hammer in my room, and I've always got a mini crowbar on me, but I know I'm not typical in that regard. A big kitchen knife would probably work, but you'd end up ruining the tip.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:40 PM
Firemen would be almost as bad.

However, the game has ended. One of my Allen keys is a perfect fit in the warped casing.

I am FREE!!!

Thanks all for "playing."

And no, I do not intend to publish a "sequel."

Suzuro
2008-09-22, 07:40 PM
If you can, stick one of them allen wrenches in the hole and twist.

-Suzuro

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:49 PM
Allen key fit perfectly with no force required. It was actually pretty odd.

I'm out now, but I'm leaving the Allen key in there and blocking the door open.

Suzuro
2008-09-22, 07:50 PM
VICTORY IS ME! Congratulations...on....getting out of the room......right.

-Suzuro

Phae Nymna
2008-09-22, 07:51 PM
I never had a chance to contribute before you freed yourself, but I just wanted to add, in case of another incident like this, my motto:

"BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!"

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 07:54 PM
I would have, but my toolkit was almost literally just beyond the door.

Spiryt
2008-09-22, 07:54 PM
This motto seems similar this old, polish proverb:

"Bez młota, to *$#@^ nie robota" :smallwink:

Uncle Festy
2008-09-22, 08:21 PM
You're free! Congrats!
:smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 08:25 PM
:smallbiggrin: Yes. Hooray for me!

Flickerdart
2008-09-22, 09:02 PM
You gained 300 XP. You gained a level! Open Lock went up by 1. Wisdom went up by 1.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 10:17 PM
Pssh. I wish Wisdom had gone up.

Phase
2008-09-22, 10:29 PM
Born free! As free as the wind blows! As free as the grass grows!

Moff Chumley
2008-09-23, 06:03 PM
And about the sequal business... Sorry, you have no choice. Get back in there before I stick YOU with an Allen Wrench. :smallyuk:

:smalltongue:

afroakuma
2008-09-23, 08:48 PM
Hilariously enough, there very nearly was a sequel. The other side of the door wouldn't open, either. Were it not for the Allen key being inside when I closed the door, I would have locked a friend in.

Enlong
2008-09-23, 08:54 PM
OH my. You should call someone to get that door fixed for reals, man.

ArlEammon
2008-09-23, 08:56 PM
I'm in a house. My neighbors are... not gonna hear me, to say the least.

I'm home alone but for two cats.

And the door is about two centimetres inset into the frame...carding it's not going to work.

Does the police have an email in your town?

Collin152
2008-09-23, 09:15 PM
Hilariously enough, there very nearly was a sequel. The other side of the door wouldn't open, either. Were it not for the Allen key being inside when I closed the door, I would have locked a friend in.

Just take the door off the frame, man, it's clearly out to get you people.
It's hungry.

afroakuma
2008-09-23, 09:41 PM
Dammit, I hate nontraditional mimics.

Door fix-ed.

Collin152
2008-09-23, 09:45 PM
Dammit, I hate nontraditional mimics.

Door fix-ed.

Fixéd?
Or would it be fixèd?
One of the two.
It's not really a place for a hyphen, I think.

FdL
2008-09-23, 10:05 PM
I want to congratulate you, Afroakuma. This was the best thread ever.

afroakuma
2008-09-23, 10:18 PM
I want to congratulate you, Afroakuma. This was the best thread ever.

Lol thanks. I'm sigging that.

Zakama
2008-09-24, 12:18 AM
I wish something like this would happen to me... :smallfrown:

dish
2008-09-24, 06:12 AM
I wish something like this would happen to me... :smallfrown:

Getting trapped in a room by a broken door? It's happened to me twice, and neither experience was pleasant. More like anxiety-inducing. (And it made me late for work.)

However, if you mean being congratulated by FdL. Well, yes, we all want that. :smalltongue:

FdL
2008-09-24, 06:22 AM
Getting trapped in a room by a broken door? It's happened to me twice, and neither experience was pleasant. More like anxiety-inducing. (And it made me late for work.)

However, if you mean being congratulated by FdL. Well, yes, we all want that. :smalltongue:

This was one of my top posts of all time. And I hereby certify that Dish is an awesome lady.

You can sig me on that ^^

Zakama
2008-09-24, 10:47 AM

I was thinking getting of trapped in a room. Of course, I wouldn't say no to being congratulated by FDL though... :smallwink:

chiasaur11
2008-09-24, 12:55 PM
Hey, at least you weren't caught in a real life version of a Sierra adventure game.

Poor sucker never stood a chance.

FdL
2008-09-24, 01:52 PM
I was thinking getting of trapped in a room. Of course, I wouldn't say no to being congratulated by FDL though... :smallwink:

Zakama, your avatar is cool and your username has a Z, which is awesome in its own right. Also sounds kind of African, which is interesting.

There you go ^^ Siggable congratulations for those who want them :p

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-24, 01:59 PM
I was going to suggest ordering chinese with a side of screwdriver.

afroakuma
2008-09-24, 02:09 PM
Meh...I'm more of a pizza guy.

Collin152
2008-09-24, 03:05 PM
I was going to suggest ordering chinese with a side of screwdriver.

See, I was gunna say "Order Pizza Hut Online, and under 'special delivery instructions' say 'Send a strong deliveryman, preferably with screwdriver"
But I took too logn trying to fit more innuendo into it.

Zakama
2008-09-24, 06:51 PM
Zakama, your avatar is cool and your username has a Z, which is awesome in its own right. Also sounds kind of African, which is interesting.

There you go ^^ Siggable congratulations for those who want them :p[/QUOTE]

Why thank you! *sigs* :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2008-09-26, 08:18 PM
There you go ^^ Siggable congratulations for those who want them :p

Why thank you! *sigs* :smallbiggrin:[/QUOTE]

Awesome :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2009-05-29, 08:17 AM
Ah, there are two cats! Very simple. Wait until person on trip arrives. When threatened with starvation, eat a cat. As for thirst, drink cat blood. This was done over 3 years by a man trapped on an island with noting but sand: Catch turtle, drink blood, eat. he eventually got rescued, only to die 6 months later in an accident involving a cart.

Rawhide
2009-05-29, 08:22 AM
arb514: Please don't "resurrect" really old threads.

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead". If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn't been posted in for a month and a half, don't post to it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.
From the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).