PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Any PDF sheets or programs for automatically making monster/encounter stat blocks

newbDM
2008-09-22, 07:55 PM
Hi,

You all know the format used for monsters and such in the books, MMs, modules, etc?

Here's an example:

Sailor (Mate)

Human Warrior 1/Expert 1
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Init +0; Senses Listen +1, Spot +1
Languages Common
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 10, touch 10, flatfooted 10
hp 8 (2 HD)
Saves Fort +2, Ref 0, Will +3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 30'
Ranged Lt. Crossbow +1 (1d8/19-20 x2, range 80')
Melee Club +1 (1d6+1/x2) or dagger +1 (1d4+1/19-20 x2)
Base Atk +1; Grp +2
Combat gear Lt crossbow, 12 bolts, club, dagger
Abilities Str 12, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats , Skill Focus-Profession (Sailor), Skill Focus-Rope Use
Skills Balance +4, Climb +3, Listen +1, One craft skill +5, Profession (Sailor) +9, Spot +1, Survival +1, Swim +1, Use Rope +8
Possessions combat gear plus 50' rope, grappling hook, knife

These stat blocks are great to use, but are annoying and time consuming to make. At least for me. For some reason my mind can't just slap all it's stats in order like this without getting confused and slowed down (I have some short term memory problems as well as a bit of attention problems to boot), plus you need to format it every time. And when I reuse one by copying and pasting I need to go in an erase each thing without erasing something I shouldn't, and then go back and type in the new information.

I have a few PDF character sheets I use on my Macbook which also has XP on it through Parallels. These sheets work wonderfully for me, and really help me out. This is why I have been trying to find similar sheets, online for the statblock format. I have not had any luck, though. I have Adobe Professional, so I can type in anything I need if the PDF is that kind of PDF.

If there are any programs for this out there that would be even better. One which can let me store them and organize them all would be insanely great!

Thank you in advance for any help!

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 07:58 PM
THIS (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php) is exactly what you're looking for, I think.

newbDM
2008-09-22, 08:29 PM
THIS (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php) is exactly what you're looking for, I think.

Thank you, but it is a bit limited for what I need. :smallfrown:

Rei_Jin
2008-09-22, 08:33 PM
Many of the online character sheet generators have an option at the bottom of them to generate a stat block. You could use that if you need to...

That way, you generate your stat block fpr generic pirate, then you copy/paste it elsewhere. You then go back and alter the sheet for sniper pirate, generate the stat block, copy/paste it.

Repeat ad nauseum.

It may not be exactly what you're after, but it could be helpful

Woodwyrm
2008-09-22, 09:10 PM
Here's one - Monster Maker (http://www.asmor.com/programs/monstermaker/index.php) - that sounds like what you're looking for.

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 09:30 PM
Here's one - Monster Maker (http://www.asmor.com/programs/monstermaker/index.php) - that sounds like what you're looking for.

That one likes like it's just 4E, though, which I don't think is what the OP wants (based on his example stat block).

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 09:35 PM
What he wants does not exist; for at least one good reason. OP, you should use the preformatted code from the Homebrew sticky. If you don't want it in code form, there's a text version just above it.

newbDM
2008-09-22, 09:41 PM
Many of the online character sheet generators have an option at the bottom of them to generate a stat block. You could use that if you need to...

That way, you generate your stat block fpr generic pirate, then you copy/paste it elsewhere. You then go back and alter the sheet for sniper pirate, generate the stat block, copy/paste it.

Repeat ad nauseum.

It may not be exactly what you're after, but it could be helpful

I see . Which online character sheet generators are you referring to?

That one likes like it's just 4E, though, which I don't think is what the OP wants (based on his example stat block).

Yeah, sorry about that. I need it for 3.5. Not a 4.0 fan at all.

What he wants does not exist; for at least one good reason. OP, you should use the preformatted code from the Homebrew sticky. If you don't want it in code form, there's a text version just above it.

Huh?

Haven't seen that. I'll go look for it right now.

newbDM
2008-09-22, 09:43 PM

Yeah, I saw that while searching The Google for something. I wish there was a 3.5 version, but I believe the creator is a 3.x hater. :smallannoyed:

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 09:48 PM
Bottom sticky topic "Homebrew Guidelines" has all the templates prepared.

Rei_Jin
2008-09-22, 09:49 PM
I see . Which online character sheet generators are you referring to?

Mythweavers has a good one that I use occassionally. Below is an example of one of my characters, converted into a stat block.

Fu Ling (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=70336)
Male LN Human Monk2/Warlock4/Enlightened Fist 10, Level 16, Init +5, HP 149/149, DR 1/Cold Iron, Speed 70ft
AC 30, Touch 22, Flat-footed 18, Fort +17, Ref +21, Will +24, Base Attack Bonus 11, Action Points 0
Admantine, Magic Unarmed Strike (-) +19/+14/+9 (3d6+8, x2)
Admantine, Magic Flurry of Blows (-) +17/+17/+12/+7 (3d6+8, x2)
Activate as a Swift Action Wraith Strike Touch Attack ( , )
- Bracers of Armor +8 (+8 Armor, +5 Dex, +7 Misc)
Abilities Str 22, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 15, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition None

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 09:52 PM
Oh, I also remembered this Javascript D&D 3.5 Character Generator (http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm). It's supposed to be for PCs, but if you've got complex BBEGs or other NPCs it should be pretty helpful. I've done stat blocks (actually, almost full character sheets) for BBEGs and such using it.

newbDM
2008-09-22, 09:52 PM

You mean:

Name
SIZE TYPE (SUBTYPE)
HD HD (Average HP)
Speed X ft. (X squares); ALT SPEEDS
Init: INITIATIVE
AC X; touch X; flat-footed X
(AC DETAILS)
BAB +X; Grp +X
Attack Standard attack +X
(damage, critical range/critical multiplier + additional damage)
Full-Attack Full attack +X/+X/+X (damage, critical range/critical multiplier +additional damage)
Space X ft.; Reach X ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Saves Fort +X Ref +X Will +X
Abilities Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X
Skills
Feats
Environment
Organization Name (Number appearing)
Challenge Rating X
Treasure X gold; X gems; X art; X magical items
Alignment
Advancement by TYPE; Favored Class
Level Adjustment +X

Yeah, I can just place that in a text file I guess. Kinda made one already like this. I was hoping for a bit more.

On that sticky there was also the webpage linked to above, but that one lacks any way to customize and plug in things.

kpenguin
2008-09-22, 10:24 PM
I used this site (http://www.dmtools.org/) to make my stat blocks.

Prometheus
2008-09-22, 10:38 PM
I haven't actually done it yet, but it occurs to me an Excel spreadsheet would probably actually be pretty good for this. You'd start with a template that automatically adds ability score bonuses and the like, and maybe a couple of macros that automatically advance or add common class levels. It wouldn't be pretty, but it would be dense and accurate.

If anyone's interested, I'd make one in my spare time.

afroakuma
2008-09-22, 10:41 PM
What more were you looking for, besides software that would let you fill in the blanks and make the necessary numerical adjustments on the fly?

Specifically ignoring that, I repeat, specifically discounting that sort of thing, what were you looking for?

newbDM
2008-09-25, 05:33 PM
I used this site (http://www.dmtools.org/) to make my stat blocks.

Dude, that is awesome!

It is even better than I had hoped for. I have already made my first two stat blocks on there.

Much appreciated.

However, there are currently 96 statblocks pending (98 now). Does this mean that the owner of this site has abandoned it? If so, it is only a matter of time until the server host deletes it. And this is such an awesome site for a DM. :smallfrown:

Reinboom
2008-09-25, 06:03 PM
So, if I modified mine to allow information to be stuck in to it (and saved on my server), this would work for you?

(Mine is the pifro one)

newbDM
2008-09-25, 07:08 PM
So, if I modified mine to allow information to be stuck in to it (and saved on my server), this would work for you?

(Mine is the pifro one)

Oh, so you're the owner of http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php?

It is a nice site/program. It is just that it is very limiting. I am sure many find it very useful, but I prefer something like DMtools.org where I can modify or plug in anything I would want to.

However, yours is much better in that I can use the scroll down menus to automatically select things like the HD, Types, Subtypes, Size, etc. Makes thing a whole lot easier.

If there was a cross between the two it would be great.

For example, here is a stat block I was able to make on Dmtools (although it took much more time and effort):

Warforged Fighter Mercenaries (Angelovis [Human] Forged)

Servant of Iron Fate
Warforged Fighter 2
LN Medium Construct (Living Construct)
Init +0; Senses Listen -1, Spot -1
Languages Common, Dwarven AC 18
hp 18 (2 HD) ; Damage reduction 2/adamantine
Fort +6, Ref 0, Will -1
Speed 20ft
Melee M.W. Glaive +5 (1d10+1/×3) or
Longsword +3 (1d8+1/19-20 ×2) or
Slam Attack +3 (1d4+1/x2)
Ranged 4x Javelin +2 (1d6/×2)(30 ft.)
Base Atk +2; Grp +3
Atk Options
-While their Deep Dwarven comrades [see my Warforged Warrior Mercenaries (Deep Dwarven Forged) entry] form a shield wall, they attack from behind the wall with their 10ft reach glaives.
Combat gear M.W. Glaive, Longsword, 4x Javelins.
Abilities Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 7
SQ
-Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.
-Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a warforged, there is a 25% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
-Arcane spell failure -35%.
-Cannot heal damage naturally.
-Does not eat, sleep, breathe.
-Inert but not progressing to death at -1 to -9 hp.
-Armor penalty of -5
Feats Adamantine Body, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus: (Glaive)
Skills Climb +2, Craft: (Blacksmith) +1, Jump +2, Swim +2, Listen -1, Spot -1
Possessions combat gear plus backpack, belt with sheaths for longsword and javelins, sack, pouch, hemp rope (50ft), flint & steel, whetstone.
250gp
Hook We were once slaves, but now we fight for our own goals!
Age 78;

Race Keywords:
Class Keywords:
Sourcebook(s): 3.5 Player's HandbooklEberron Campaign SettinglComplete Warrior

Notes:
-I distinguish warforged in my games by where on my campaign setting they were constructed, and by which race forged them. Warforged also tend to resemble the creating race. Hence "xxxxx [Human] Forged" warforged would usually resemble human, while "xxxxx Dwarven Forged" warforged would usually resemble dwarves.
-They serve under Iron Fate. - Contributed by celestialkin

Here is the most I can do on your site:

Size/Type: Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+20 (25 hp)
Initiative: -4
Speed: ??
Armor Class: 6, touch 6, flat-footed 10 (-4 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/+6
Attack: ?? +6 str-based / ?? -4 dex-based (3d8+6)
Full Attack: +6
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: ??
Special Qualities: ??
Saves: Fort 0, Ref -4, Will -1
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 3, Con —, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 7
Skills: 4 skill points with a max rank of 4 (or 1 maxed skills)
Feats: 1 feats
Enviroment: ??
Organization: ??
Challange Rating: ??
Treasure: ??
Alignment: ??
Advancement: ?? Favored Class: ??
Level Adjustment: —

Type Info
Construct
A construct is an animated object or artificially constructed creature.
Traits
A construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* No Constitution score.
* Low-light vision.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
* Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
* Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
* Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
* Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
* Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
* Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table.
* Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.
* Proficient with no armor.
* Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Notes:
-You might want to add Living Construct to the Type list.
-What is the difference between Reach Tall and each Long? Is that a 4ed thing?

Then again, DMtools.org seems like it will go down soon, so I will probably be using your site much more often.

Either way, I think it is pretty cool that you made and maintain that site for the community. That was very nice of you.

Reinboom
2008-09-25, 07:42 PM
Yes, I'm the owner/programmer.
Living Construct is not OGL, if I remember right (I would love for you to show me this is wrong, adding things to any of my scripts fills me with endless joy). So, I could only make it an 'option' without describing what it actually is.

Also, Reach is 3.x. It's the difference between a large monster having a 10ft reach (as in, an ogre) or a large monster having a 5ft reach (as in, a dire wolf).

It will take me a bit to modify, since I don't get much free time anymore. I'll also have to investigate DM's tools more.

kpenguin
2008-09-25, 08:07 PM
However, there are currently 96 statblocks pending (98 now). Does this mean that the owner of this site has abandoned it? If so, it is only a matter of time until the server host deletes it. And this is such an awesome site for a DM. :smallfrown:

Well, she hasn't seemed to have updated the new statblocks in a while. However, the site was shut down by the server host for a while, and I thought it was gone for good at that time, but it soon came back online.

You might want to e-mail the owner.