PDA

View Full Version : The right four words

UncleWolf
2008-09-22, 08:14 PM
i think V just fulfilled the prophecy. V said the right four words(disintegrate, gust of wind) to the right being (Kubota) for the wrong reason (to kill Kubota when he was supposed to stand trial and to keep from being interrupted again)

V may have just gotten ultimate power without knowing it.

Ferrous
2008-09-22, 08:15 PM
i think V just fulfilled the prophecy. V said the right four words(disintegrate, gust of wind) to the right being (Kubota) for the wrong reason (to kill Kubota when he was supposed to stand trial and to keep from being interrupted again)

V may have just gotten ultimate power without knowing it.

Kindly explain to me how killing Kubota = ultimate power? This poor soul does not follow your argument.

Kranden
2008-09-22, 08:17 PM
He just got enough experience to ding? :P

UncleWolf
2008-09-22, 08:18 PM
I don't know how it equals ultimate power (I don't even want to know why) but it seems that all the requirements were just met.

Impikmin
2008-09-22, 08:19 PM
V is going to say TONS of 4 word phrases! Stop formulating, we'll never guess until we actually see her do something amazing (like kill a giant demon, maybe we should look at all the 4 words he said before that /end sarcasm)

Kranden
2008-09-22, 08:21 PM
Heres a wild thought, what if Qarr offers V demonic powers to find Haley. V is desperate to find Her and he does not even care for his own well being over hers. Desperate times.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-09-22, 08:21 PM
It would be a rather interesting twist of fate :D :vaarsuvius:

Kranden
2008-09-22, 08:24 PM
V is desperate for ultimate arcane power in order to find Haley. Besides what use is a soul if existence is going to be undone. Besides Elves live for a long time and with ultimate power there's no reason to even let death stop you.
V Is on the path to Lichdom.

UncleWolf
2008-09-22, 08:25 PM
With all the twists and turns in this comic, there is a pretty good chance that Rich won't make it obvious or such a big deal. He seems to have a taste for doing the exact opposite of what we think (or don't think) will happen. It doesn't have to be flashy.

nerdnumber1
2008-09-22, 08:26 PM
I love this (likely unintentional) study of prophecy on the Giant's part. Give several vague prophecies about future strips that will come to pass hundreds of strips later and leave see what the fans interpret as the answer.

The removal of Kubota might have opened future opportunities for a more definite resolution to the prophecy.

Kranden
2008-09-22, 08:26 PM
V is desperate for ultimate arcane power in order to find Haley. Besides what use is a soul if existence is going to be undone. Besides Elves live for a long time and with ultimate power there's no reason to even let death stop you.

Timberboar
2008-09-22, 08:27 PM
I don't know how it equals ultimate power (I don't even want to know why) but it seems that all the requirements were just met.

Except the requirement that V actually obtain said power.

Kish
2008-09-22, 08:30 PM
...No. They weren't just met. Vaarsuvius said four words to a being at a time for reasons which I doubt Rich means us to think were right, is what is established. You're assuming that they were the right words, that it was the right time, that Kubota was the right being. All it takes is for one of those assumptions to be wrong and the whole thing falls apart.

I just posted in the discussion thread, in response to someone else who thought those were the right words:

I guessed, "Someone on the boards will have posted that 'Disintegrate Gust of Wind' is the four words."

It's as reliable as the sun, any time Vaarsuvius says four words, from the second the prophecy was made, whether those four words bear any resemblance to the rest of the prophecy or not.

Sholos
2008-09-22, 08:38 PM
Also, consider the fact that it doesn't have to be limited to a four-word phrase. Just at least four words. Specifically the right four words.

Kaihaku
2008-09-22, 08:44 PM
Another of these topics?

No. First, V didn't say the words to anyone. Disintegrate and Gust of Wind stand in the place of vocal spell components. Also, Kubota was DEAD for the Gust of Wind.

Second, well, it's pointless I guess to point out how anti-climatic that would be. Personally, I'm betting on Lich or some similar template, probably after meeting a God.

Tinox
2008-09-22, 08:46 PM
...No. They weren't just met. Vaarsuvius said four words to a being at a time for reasons which I doubt Rich means us to think were right, is what is established. You're assuming that they were the right words, that it was the right time, that Kubota was the right being. All it takes is for one of those assumptions to be wrong and the whole thing falls apart.

I just posted in the discussion thread, in response to someone else who thought those were the right words:

The funny part being, of course, that I had no solid basis whatsoever to make the assumption Kish referred to. As I said in the other thread, I just happened to read the prophecy comic and say 'Hey, why not?'.

I'm just going to forget about the prophecy thing now, kick back and watch the action, because I have no idea what is about to happen. Rich is good at surprising.

UncleWolf
2008-09-22, 08:59 PM
Rich is good at surprising.

My point exactly, we don't know what to expect in this comic so I may be right, I may not. We just have to see.

Dairun Cates
2008-09-22, 09:59 PM
Except the requirement that V actually obtain said power.

Actually, I'm tending to agree with the possibility of this theory. It's not just that it's four words. I've seen a lot of those and didn't think any of those were it. Still, it does seem that she did just blow someone up with four somatic component words as the right thing for the wrong reason.

The fact that it didn't immediately happen doesn't actually prove anything. It just has to happen because of it. It could be a couple of strips down the line or even a hundred, but you never know when something small like this will lead to the prophecy being right. Besides, prophecies are always vague and unpredictable. Otherwise EVERYONE would listen to them all the time.

Spiky
2008-09-22, 10:23 PM
Is there any way to jump from level 14 to epic? Cause if there isn't, V can't say those 4 words now cause nothing will happen.

Also, I counted 12 words in this comic. Yes?

Mant
2008-09-23, 05:08 AM
My point exactly, we don't know what to expect in this comic so I may be right, I may not. We just have to see.

You simply don't.

GSFB
2008-09-23, 10:11 PM
Disintegrate. Gust of wind.

That's four words...

drengnikrafe
2008-09-23, 10:14 PM
Uhh...

Probably not. But, +2 points for effort.

Ridureyu
2008-09-23, 10:22 PM
We all know V's four words are gonna be, "Yeah, I'd hit that."

Hwarinengwion
2008-09-23, 10:47 PM
It's four words but only one of them is spoken at a being the other three are at a pile of smoldering dust.

Theodoriph
2008-09-23, 11:23 PM
A) There's already a thread about this.

Edit: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91745

B) Stop being silly. Any 4 words V says could be those 4 words. It's pointless to make threads about them all. We'll know what the 4 words are when we see them.

Kaihaku
2008-09-23, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it's been said before and, as I pointed out in the other thread, V didn't say those words to ANYONE. Unless the magical energies of the universe are suddenly personified.

Pip
2008-09-24, 12:01 AM
At this point Giant is having V speak four words at time, just to play with us.

GSFB
2008-09-24, 07:54 PM
Sorry, did not see other thread (too many new ones all at once because the last few strips were JUST THAT AWESOME!).

This thread can be closed I guess.

Barbolanero
2008-09-24, 08:17 PM
We all know V's four words are gonna be, "Yeah, I'd hit that."

Those are actually 5 words.

Spiky
2008-09-24, 09:48 PM
Those are actually 5 words.

A conjunction counts as one, actually.

Fawkes
2008-09-24, 09:56 PM
V's four words are clearly "What is a 'kubota'?"

Emanick
2008-09-24, 10:02 PM
V's four words are clearly "What is a 'kubota'?"

No, no. :smalltongue: They must be "Lie. Say he escaped."
Or "What do I care?" :smallwink:

Zeitgeist
2008-09-24, 10:55 PM
I personally believe this is the most solid theory that has been posted on the 4 words.

He did say the 4 right words (killing him and getting rid of the body, or ashes)
He did probably get rid of somebody who needed to be gotten rid of (Kubota)
His reason was horrible. Sure, he needed to die, but not just because V thought he probably needed to die. He had no sound reason for it, but it really is GOOD that Kubota is out of the way.

As for Ultimate Arcane Power... the consequences he may have to face for what he did (who knows what kind of events can be stirred up as a result of this) may open the door for him to obtain power. One small action can have a big impact on the future (like the Butterfly Effect would say).

I don't know how, but it's definitely possible. The requirements have been met better than ever in the past. Now we just have to wait and see if there are any results. But we probably won't know that until the end of the comic.

An Enemy Spy
2008-09-24, 10:57 PM
Everytime V opens his mouth there's a new thread about the four words.

Finwe
2008-09-24, 11:28 PM
Also, consider the fact that it doesn't have to be limited to a four-word phrase. Just at least four words. Specifically the right four words.

No one ever said they had to be consecutive words, either.

Silverlocke980
2008-09-24, 11:34 PM
Killing Kubota gives V ultimate power because it was awesome.

Also, who knows? Killing Kubota may set off a chain of events- probably involving Qarr, I'll admit- that will end with V gaining ultimate power.

After all, the Oracle never said that it had to happen immediately after the four words were said, did it?

Leewei
2008-09-25, 12:13 AM
The infernal powers had big plans for Kobuta. Vaarsuvius blew him away out of pique. Those same powers may well be seeking a mortal agent now that has a fair amount of power and flexible scruples. If this is the case, expect Qaar to make another appearance soon -- possibly as Vaarsuvius's replacement familiar.

Fish
2008-09-25, 12:23 AM
I'm convinced these are the right 4 words, and that Kubota was the right being. My money is on the XP gain that V would get from defeating Kubota — who just happened to mention he's high enough level for a prestige class. Probably worth a few XP, him.

FujinAkari
2008-09-25, 02:20 AM

why do people keep saying this? Guys, V selected Necromancy as a barred school.

He quite literally -can't- become a lich.

I'm convinced these are the right 4 words, and that Kubota was the right being. My money is on the XP gain that V would get from defeating Kubota — who just happened to mention he's high enough level for a prestige class. Probably worth a few XP, him.

Exceedingly unlikely. We would have seen the ding by now.

Erlindur
2008-09-25, 08:12 AM
I think we a missing a vital point in here. The question was "HOW will I achieve complete and total ultimate arcane power?"
What restricts a high level mage from total power, if not the barriers that come from his/her alingment? My guess is that those four words were the beginning of an alingment change for V, that will lead him/her to ultimate arcane power.

Just my 2 cents.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-25, 08:27 AM
;o Maybe V will survive the Snarl battle, and TheGiant will never tell us how he gets ultimate power, only that he will.

That'd be hilarious to see all your reactions.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 08:31 AM
This is why I never make guesses relating to anything in webcomic prophecies. It never ends well.

Nerdanel
2008-09-25, 08:38 AM
why do people keep saying this? Guys, V selected Necromancy as a barred school.

He quite literally -can't- become a lich.

Look at this way of becoming a lich (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a) (note the website). No mention of necromancy requirement.

V could well have gotten the Craft Woundrous Item feat. We know that V's caster level is over 11. That's it for the background requirements according to the article.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 08:42 AM
V could well have gotten the Craft Woundrous Item feat.

I don't normally pick on typos, but this was funny.

I should rename Craft Magic Arms and Armor to that.

Anyway, that seems... cheesy. Not in the sense that it's too powerful but that it breaks the thematic of banning necromancy. Generally the characters that dance with rules interpretations to do major things seem to have that as a schtick of theirs in general, where V plays with the rules mostly straight-and-narrow. He's even an evoker, for crying out loud.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-25, 08:44 AM
I think we a missing a vital point in here. The question was "HOW will I achieve complete and total ultimate arcane power?"
What restricts a high level mage from total power, if not the barriers that come from his/her alingment? My guess is that those four words were the beginning of an alingment change for V, that will lead him/her to ultimate arcane power.

This. Right here.

Or, if I may borrow a line, "You do not know the power of the Dark Side."

The infernal powers had big plans for Kobuta. Vaarsuvius blew him away out of pique. Those same powers may well be seeking a mortal agent now that has a fair amount of power and flexible scruples. If this is the case, expect Qaar to make another appearance soon -- possibly as Vaarsuvius's replacement familiar.

Also this, possibly happening in the upcoming #600, which at this point I have to believe with be a Vaarsuvius-centered splash page.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-25, 08:47 AM
V could multiclass to sorceror and have necromancy (He'd be able to control up to 40 HD of undead at once after he reaches level 20! Wow!). He could multiclass cleric and would be able to do something useful with necromancy (as opposed to wizards/sorcerors) (He'd be able to command up to 80 HD of undead at once once he reaches level 20! WOW!), or finally, he could multiclass True Necromancer and be able to command 400 HD of undead at level 20 (Like a character I made for a quick level twenty castle raid session.

In short, necromancers SUCK. They're just terrible, unless you go true necromancer, in which case they're OK. True power will never, EVER come from necromancy.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-25, 09:14 AM
V could multiclass to sorceror and have necromancy (He'd be able to control up to 40 HD of undead at once after he reaches level 20! Wow!). He could multiclass cleric and would be able to do something useful with necromancy (as opposed to wizards/sorcerors) (He'd be able to command up to 80 HD of undead at once once he reaches level 20! WOW!), or finally, he could multiclass True Necromancer and be able to command 400 HD of undead at level 20 (Like a character I made for a quick level twenty castle raid session.

In short, necromancers SUCK. They're just terrible, unless you go true necromancer, in which case they're OK. True power will never, EVER come from necromancy.

This guy :xykon: would like to have a word with you.

(That said, I actually agree with you; strictly on a rules-based, crunchy basis, arcane necromancers suck, divine ones are about average and True Necromancers, at least ones who also take levels in the drow Yathrinshee PrC, can be scary Army of Darkness types. In OOTS however, the most powerful spellcaster we've seen is a necromantic sorcerer lich.)

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 09:16 AM
This guy :xykon: would like to have a word with you.

(That said, I actually agree with you; strictly on a rules-based, crunchy basis, arcane necromancers suck, divine ones are about average and True Necromancers, at least ones who also take levels in the drow Yathrinshee PrC, can be scary Army of Darkness types. In OOTS however, the most powerful spellcaster we've seen is a necromantic sorcerer lich.)

He's also not particularly impressive for an epic character, though. I mean, DR or not, he did actually get -hit- by Roy repeatedly, and Roy pulled that trick at the end of the Dungeon of Dorukan.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-25, 09:30 AM
Jesus H. Christ, you people are still on about this?
The words are " Damn, you are sexy."
Okay?

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-25, 09:33 AM
He's also not particularly impressive for an epic character, though. I mean, DR or not, he did actually get -hit- by Roy repeatedly, and Roy pulled that trick at the end of the Dungeon of Dorukan.

Yeah, a +5 undead bane weapon will have a tendency to do some damage like that, and Roy's win in the Dungeon of Dorukan was, strictly speaking, a plot win and had nothing to do with anyone's respective abilities.

But you're right, in a sense Xykon is not impressive at all, because he's so lazy and careless, which is because he's completely reliant on his own immense personal power and, up until the battle with Soon, he was able to get away with that. Now that he's learned he may not be the most badass dude on the planet after all and there are things that can actually kill him, he'll probably be quite a bit more effective in the next arc.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 09:37 AM
Yeah, a +5 undead bane weapon will have a tendency to do some damage like that, and Roy's win in the Dungeon of Dorukan was, strictly speaking, a plot win and had nothing to do with anyone's respective abilities.

Not damage - hit. Roy wasn't really damaging him much as far as I could tell, but he was hitting. And Roy is not a cheesed out Fighter, he doesn't have absolutely max strength most likely, and he was at least 9 levels under Xykon - slightly more the first time they met. A semi-optimized -competent epic character of any kind should be able to monologue, basketweave and dance circles around a level 12 without getting hit.

nybbler
2008-09-25, 03:07 PM
I think perhaps "ultimate" may simply mean "last" in this case -- V's ultimate arcane power is the last arcane power he'll achieve, so the words may gain him a level... and get him killed.

XenoTherapy
2008-09-25, 03:49 PM
I've been reading the archives, and V's four words must be:

"Think nothing of it!" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)

It fits perfectly.

...except that it, like the billion other four words threads, makes no sense. Seriously, everyone stop speculating. What will happen will happen when it happens, and we will know then.

busterswd
2008-09-25, 03:52 PM
I've been reading the archives, and V's four words must be:

"Think nothing of it!" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)

It fits perfectly.

...except that it, like the billion other four words threads, makes no sense. Seriously, everyone stop speculating. What will happen will happen when it happens, and we will know then.

It's not the matter 4 random words, for me, though I don't personally believe this is the situation. It's the matter of 4 words AND V doing the right thing for the wrong reasons that makes this one more tangible than most.

Linkavitch
2008-09-25, 05:24 PM
I still think V will literally say "The right four words to the right person at the right time for all the wrong reasons."

Silverlocke980
2008-09-25, 06:16 PM
I can't believe this didn't occur to me already!

V's four words will be a variation of the one verbal joke it has going for it. "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning." Some variation of that phrase will be his path to ultimate power.

Don't ask me how, but a four-word variation of that phrase will be his four words- probably at the end of the strip (because, c'mon, how do you get an all-powerful character as a party member and keep any semblance of story?).

So? Who thinks this is it?

Studoku
2008-09-25, 06:18 PM
I'm fairly sure this has already been suggested.

Impikmin
2008-09-25, 06:18 PM
Dying words: ... I.. prepared... explosive... runes...
Or: No, just read it. :smallamused:

SPoD
2008-09-25, 06:23 PM
Can we get a merge between this and the other (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92005) three (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91745) threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91869) on this exact topic that are still on the front page?

Forum Staff
2008-09-25, 06:26 PM
Can we get a merge between this and the other (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92005) three (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91745) threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91869) on this exact topic that are still on the front page?

I was just thinking that same thing. Threads merged.

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-25, 06:44 PM
Seriously, everyone stop speculating. What will happen will happen when it happens, and we will know then.

Where's the fun in that? :smalltongue: This is one of the common speculations that I have no problem with, unlike V's Gender and Miko's alignment.