Godric
2008-09-22, 09:48 PM
Dear Rich,

I love you.

Sincerely,
Godric

Charles Phipps
2008-09-22, 09:56 PM
Prediction: Hinjo has to banish them but its okay, because it banishes them to go find Haley and reunite the Order since the Order has eliminated the chief threat to Hinjo's reign now.

slayerx
2008-09-22, 10:09 PM
Indeed
-"prepare for the trail of the century and the continuation of a minor villian!"
-DISINTEGRATE!
-"and now, for something completely different"

Prediction: Hinjo has to banish them but its okay, because it banishes them to go find Haley and reunite the Order since the Order has eliminated the chief threat to Hinjo's reign now.

Well... thanks to the use of disintegrate and throwing all of Kubota's clothing off the ship, their is no evidence that V kill him... Elan could confess, but since he's chaotic, V could convince him to just leave things as they are.

on the other hand, when Hinjo finds kubota missing, he will ask questions because the nobles will be asking questions... and Elan may just spill it... Being Lawful, Hinjo will need to do something about it as the law does not say you can just execute someone without a trial...

HOWEVER, without Kubota to manipulate stories of what was going on, Elan and the Kato's testimony will go pretty much unquestioned thanks to the zone of truth type of spells... normally, the zone of truth testimnoy would be warped due to Kobuta's ability to lie under detection and thus raise questions to the "truth"... As for killing Kobuta, V could simply argue that it was "strictly necessary" in the given situation, it might just fly in court.

Porthos
2008-09-22, 10:22 PM
Dear Rich,

I love you.

Sincerely,
Godric

Errr... What makes you think this wasn't planned out long ago? :smallconfused:

Teron
2008-09-22, 10:27 PM
Elan, may be too nice and cliché-bound to kill a defeated villain, but he is still (presumably) chaotic. Telling the truth won't help anyone now, so, while perhaps too slow-witted to think of it on his own, he should be easily convinced to lie.

Obviously, I can't claim to know whether Mr. Burlew had this planned for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me. While some people (not myself, by the way) find this storyline has been dragging on, the resolution alone justifies it for me (the humour also does, at least twice over, but that's beside the point). I'd suggest, once #600 goes up or thereabout, that everyone who has found the plot stagnant go back and read the whole thing in one sitting to see if it feels as slow when you don't have to read it at the rate of a few pages per week.

Linkavitch
2008-09-23, 05:52 PM
Well... thanks to the use of disintegrate and throwing all of Kubota's clothing off the ship, their is no evidence that V kill him... Elan could confess, but since he's chaotic, V could convince him to just leave things as they are.

Now, Elan could say that Kubota tragically drowned, and was eaten by a passing shark. . .

David Argall
2008-09-23, 06:26 PM
Errr... What makes you think this wasn't planned out long ago? :smallconfused:

Well, it is not certain. My own bet is that it was planned, but we know from the inn scene that the lesser parts of the plot can suffer drastic change.
Here we might find that our writer tried drawing a trial and found it didn't work the way he wanted, and so he decided, possibly almost at the last moment, to just junk it by having V off him.

SliderDaFeral
2008-09-23, 06:38 PM
:vaarsuvius: earns 5000 cool points.

Deepkicker
2008-09-23, 07:34 PM
Well, it is not certain. My own bet is that it was planned, but we know from the inn scene that the lesser parts of the plot can suffer drastic change.
Here we might find that our writer tried drawing a trial and found it didn't work the way he wanted, and so he decided, possibly almost at the last moment, to just junk it by having V off him.

Nah...you could see the events of this strip being set up about two weeks ago. I get the feeling from reading the latter half of OotS that Rich has it all planned out already.

ericgrau
2008-09-23, 07:48 PM
In the FAQ Rich says he goes against peoples predictions and/or suggestions just to be contrarion. I think the comic was already headed in this direction, i.e. the previous comics point to some kind of resolution coming soon. And it's yet another reason to spoiler your predictions.

I don't think the complaints anyone might have about V will have much effect. And reluctant approval wouldn't be that exciting either. A single strip of snippy comments and transition, maaaaybe... or maybe not. For the sake of story intensity, I predict an immediate switch back to Haley & co. What follows is anybody's guess. Roy's Rez is the obvious answer, but too many people have been predicting Rez/Re-unite @ 600, so I dunno (see first paragraph). IMO it'll be whatever maintains the recent status-quo of awesome. The dominos were stacked over a hundred strips, now they're tipping, and I expect them to continue to tip until they all fall.

Stormpax
2008-09-23, 08:15 PM
:vaarsuvius: earns 5000 cool points.

Just 5000?
I thought he would get over 9000. References ftw.

Theodoriph
2008-09-23, 08:19 PM
Just 5000?
I thought he would get over 9000. References ftw.

What??? 9000???

snoopy13a
2008-09-23, 08:51 PM
Since so many people make predictions, someone has to get it right, right?

factotum
2008-09-24, 03:20 AM
In the FAQ Rich says he goes against peoples predictions and/or suggestions just to be contrarion.

He says he gets an uncontrollable urge to do that--he doesn't say that he actually does it. Besides, I'm sure several people predicted V would kill Kubota in the thread for comic 594, and I haven't noticed that Rich has done the opposite just to spite them, have you?

VariaVespasa
2008-09-24, 03:57 AM
Besides which, being kneejerk contrarian isnt possible all the time without screwing up the story, and, in its way, is just as predictable in any case. Best to just tell the story you wanna tell, really, and only react to reader input when its not a major element, or when they find a fixable plothole.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-24, 06:41 AM
V should totally level up for this.
Also... Appropiate music, please.*puts on shades*
*cough*
VARSUUVIUS!
(**** YEAH!)
COMIN' AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHER****ING PLOT YEAH!
VARSUUVIUS!
(**** YEAH!)
THIS WAS THE ONLY GOOD WAY, YEAH!
DISINTEGRATE!
**** YEAH!
GUST OF WIND!
**** YEAH!
ONE-LINER!
**** YEAH!

NerfTW
2008-09-24, 06:50 AM
He clearly planned this. The whole point of it was to give Elan a situation where there isn't a happy ending, and to push V to the breaking point. I think the reason most people (and I, by the end) were getting annoyed was the same reason V was getting annoyed. There's far more important matters to be attending to and Kabuto was delaying them.

Or do you seriously think he just decided to randomly meander about in meaningless plots because he was bored?

AKA_Bait
2008-09-24, 08:49 AM
He clearly planned this. The whole point of it was to give Elan a situation where there isn't a happy ending, and to push V to the breaking point. I think the reason most people (and I, by the end) were getting annoyed was the same reason V was getting annoyed. There's far more important matters to be attending to and Kabuto was delaying them.

Or do you seriously think he just decided to randomly meander about in meaningless plots because he was bored?

Yeah. It was almost certinaly planned and had little to nothing to do with speculation on the boards. Didn't the Giant and some point specifically say that he stays away from this forum a lot exactly because he doesn't want to be influenced by spoilers?

blackspeeker
2008-09-24, 10:41 AM
Yeah. It was almost certinaly planned and had little to nothing to do with speculation on the boards. Didn't the Giant and some point specifically say that he stays away from this forum a lot exactly because he doesn't want to be influenced by spoilers?
Yes he did, it was hidden in our wonderful faq.

http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq8

Edit: Also I agree about Rich having this planned out, this is how V has been working since the party split keeping himself away from distractions like when the party was on the orc island he continued to do research, now he has decided to simply take ignoring distractions further by eliminating them.