PDA

View Full Version : Earth in the cosmic sense of things.

krossbow
2008-09-22, 10:32 PM
Specifically, DC earth compared to Marvel earth.

Overall, despite being inferior to many more technologically advanced races, earth manages to hold its own in Marvel's universe. The people and beings populate, including the governments, can do pretty well with the weapons and tech at their disposal, and they're even capable of bloodying the nose of quite a few other planets and races; this isn't even adding in the ability they have to intentionally manufacture superbeings for use.

DC earth on the other hand is almost a newborn baby in comparison to many other aliens; its governments technologies and military capabilities are woefully inadequate for fending off most of the other alien races in the universe. In fact, its importance revolved solely around a large number of uber powered beings making it its home, and its place at the center of the universe's fabric.

Overall, in which universe do you think Earth ranks as being of more interplanetary/galactic importance?

Enlong
2008-09-22, 11:56 PM
Eh, it's mostly harmless.

chiasaur11
2008-09-24, 11:15 AM
Well, in the marvel U, the top tech beats everything the universe can dish out (And by top tech, I mean the stuff in Reed Richard's garage), and Earth has a great track record with the whole "Beating Galactus over and over" thing, but the overall tech level is a good deal lower than galactic average.

In the DCU, earth is slightly higher tech, and is infamous for the sheer power of its guards, but has less native power for negotiating.

I'm going with the MU, but only barely, due to the fact its biggest powers are natives.

Gavin Sage
2008-09-24, 08:36 PM
In the DCU the Earth, specifically Earth-0/New Earth, is the foundation stone of 52 universes. Its why in the Sinestro Corps War the Anti-Monitor attacked that planet as opposed to say directly assaulting Oa, which is merely the center of the Earth-0 universe. Its also the only planet in the universe to have four members of the Green Lantern Corps, the most powerful single body in the DCU.

Marvel Earth is a backwater that happens to be near some interstellar throughways. Or something. Given its spawned some big name galatic heroes like Peter Quill and Richard Rider, but the planet really isn't that important by comparasion. Its most notable feature is having survived Galactus. Which is impressive, but not really foundation of the multiverse impressive. Also Marvel has done a better job of flushing out its cosmic civilization as a distinct whole making Earth far less important. The most important human in Marvel's universe is Richard Rider, who you've probably not heard of and he's hardly on Earth on the whole, present issues excepted.

At any rate DCU Earth has been the centerpoint for more cosmic crisises then Marvel Earth. I see your Skrulls and raise you Dominators. I see your Thanos and raise you Darkseid. I see your Galactus and raise you the Anti-Monitor or Parallax or Mister Mind. Given Marvel doesn't do the real cosmic level crisis hardly ever, but Annhilation is the most recent and Earth had all of Alaska and a cameo in it. Alaska!

(Why do I feel like few on this board will be able to follow all of that?)

The Tygre
2008-09-25, 07:21 AM
I'm gonna go with Marvel for intergalactic but DCU for broader in general.

Dude, DCU gave the universe God in the form of a pre-pubescent British school-girl while Satan stirred drinks in Los Angeles.

chiasaur11
2008-09-25, 01:03 PM
In the DCU the Earth, specifically Earth-0/New Earth, is the foundation stone of 52 universes. Its why in the Sinestro Corps War the Anti-Monitor attacked that planet as opposed to say directly assaulting Oa, which is merely the center of the Earth-0 universe. Its also the only planet in the universe to have four members of the Green Lantern Corps, the most powerful single body in the DCU.

Marvel Earth is a backwater that happens to be near some interstellar throughways. Or something. Given its spawned some big name galatic heroes like Peter Quill and Richard Rider, but the planet really isn't that important by comparasion. Its most notable feature is having survived Galactus. Which is impressive, but not really foundation of the multiverse impressive. Also Marvel has done a better job of flushing out its cosmic civilization as a distinct whole making Earth far less important. The most important human in Marvel's universe is Richard Rider, who you've probably not heard of and he's hardly on Earth on the whole, present issues excepted.

At any rate DCU Earth has been the centerpoint for more cosmic crisises then Marvel Earth. I see your Skrulls and raise you Dominators. I see your Thanos and raise you Darkseid. I see your Galactus and raise you the Anti-Monitor or Parallax or Mister Mind. Given Marvel doesn't do the real cosmic level crisis hardly ever, but Annhilation is the most recent and Earth had all of Alaska and a cameo in it. Alaska!

I'd argue the Galactus thing makes Reed Richards the universe's BMOC.
I mean, for millenia, only one planet hadn't got et after being targeted.

Richards comes on the scene and WHAM. Galactus is chased off earth, like, fifty times. Then Reed saves Galactus. And gets cleared of charges.

I agree Nova is the most important in day to day politics, but I figure Richards is a legend. I mean, what most of the universe (including Earth) thinks of as "We're gonna die", The Fantastic Four think of as "Sue, I'm going to be late for dinner. Shouldn't be more than an hour. Love: Reed."

Your general point makes sense though.

Devonix
2008-09-26, 04:57 AM

Because while Annhilation was the most importaint event to happen in the Marvel Universe in years, it was barely even advertised. And yes Rider is pretty much one of the most importaint people in the Marvel Universe at the time.

Earth in Marvel U is pretty much a place that is fought over, Alien Races and Space Gods want to experiment on it or control it.

Earth in DCU because of it being the Cornerstone of all creation is a bit more importaint. Also in that it litteraly becomes the center of the galactic community eventually. " Legion of superheroes. " Its also pretty importaint to the GL Corps with being sort of a beacon of willpower with what happened in Coast city and even being written into the book of OA.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-10-03, 09:55 PM
In the DCU, earth is slightly higher tech, and is infamous for the sheer power of its guards, but has less native power for negotiating.

DCU's tech level is higher? I have to disagree with you there. Marvel has far too many people who (even well past the age of Lee and Kirby) routinely invent tech that would make Einstein break down and weep.

chiasaur11
2008-10-03, 10:20 PM
DCU's tech level is higher? I have to disagree with you there. Marvel has far too many people who (even well past the age of Lee and Kirby) routinely invent tech that would make Einstein break down and weep.

I meant as an average.

Marvel has way better high tech stuff, but DC, until recently, seemed more likely to have the tech filter down to the people on the street.

I totally agree marvel's higher tech stuff is way beyond DCs. I mean, pretty much everything Reed Richards invents proves that.

I may be somewhat wrong, but that's just my impression.

Xallace
2008-10-03, 10:39 PM
I'd argue the Galactus thing makes Reed Richards the universe's BMOC.
I mean, for millenia, only one planet hadn't got et after being targeted.

Richards comes on the scene and WHAM. Galactus is chased off earth, like, fifty times. Then Reed saves Galactus. And gets cleared of charges.

I was reading through Essential X-Men #1 the other day. Loved when... wait, Spoilers.

...the Shiar come to Earth chasing down the princess, and the Commander orders a status check of Earth. It goes something along the lines of...

"Blah blah blah inhabitable... blah blah blah backwards monkey species... blah blah- OH CRAP."
"What's wrong?"
"These guys beat Galactus! FOUR TIMES."
"OH CRAP."

And Earth is still considered a "backwater planet," what?
Alright, so I didn't have much to contribute besides that, I just find it entertaining how Earth is always considered a "little, backwards, backwater planet" no matter what we do.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-10-03, 10:54 PM
I know what you mean. If I ever get around to writing the comic series I have planned out in my head, Earth will wind up harnessing the brains and technology of the metahuman-crowd to vault into the ranks of interstellar powers.

Enlong
2008-10-04, 12:42 AM
Eh, I still say it's Mostly Harmless.

Gavin Sage
2008-10-04, 11:57 PM
And Earth is still considered a "backwater planet," what?
Alright, so I didn't have much to contribute besides that, I just find it entertaining how Earth is always considered a "little, backwards, backwater planet" no matter what we do.

When you don't have a spacefaring society you are a primitive backwater its that simple. Because when the percentage of people with any advanced tech is all of a-few-thousand/six-billion then you are indeed a primitive backwater.

chiasaur11
2008-10-05, 12:57 AM
When you don't have a spacefaring society you are a primitive backwater its that simple. Because when the percentage of people with any advanced tech is all of a-few-thousand/six-billion then you are indeed a primitive backwater.

Yeah.

I figure Earth is like a backwater amazon tribe. Where a couple of people have laser toting space capable mecha.

krossbow
2008-10-05, 03:57 AM
Yeah.

I figure Earth is like a backwater amazon tribe. Where a couple of people have laser toting space capable mecha.

It almost reminds me of the middle ages, with a small "elite" with advanced learning and resources while everyone else is uneducated and illiterate.

Granted, i can see why they don't just hand out Iron Man armor on street corners, but alot of the technology available to alot of the millionaire superheroes (coughreedrichardscough) could really improve society.

Linkavitch
2008-10-05, 02:52 PM
Eh, it's mostly harmless.

Better than just, 'harmless':biggrin:

Anyway, based on your descriptions, Marvel. I mean, if it's capable of doing all those things to defend itself, don't you think that one alien race or another should have contacted us and asked for our secret warfare tactics or something? With your description of DC, pretty much what seems to happen is whenever extra-terrestrials attack Earth, Superman (being one himself) saves us all.

chiasaur11
2008-10-05, 03:02 PM
It almost reminds me of the middle ages, with a small "elite" with advanced learning and resources while everyone else is uneducated and illiterate.

Granted, i can see why they don't just hand out Iron Man armor on street corners, but alot of the technology available to alot of the millionaire superheroes (coughreedrichardscough) could really improve society.

Not his fault every single company that buys the stuff says, roughly, "Oh @#$@! (yes, that is how people swear on earth 616) This would make so many products obsolete, releasing it now would cause a total economic collapse!"

Gavin Sage
2008-10-05, 09:48 PM
Anyone care to actually cite some of Reed's working inventions. Like ones you can point to with an issue number as actually existing. I mean so help me I think what improvements does say a Negative Zone gateway give to human society? (very unescapable prisons maybe.....)

The biggest one I can think of is his unstable molecule clothing worn by many of the various supers. Which okay its wonder clothing and makes you look mighty sexy, but hardly the new electric motor or microchip.

Blue Paladin
2008-10-06, 11:04 AM
Anyway, based on your descriptions, Marvel. I mean, if it's capable of doing all those things to defend itself, don't you think that one alien race or another should have contacted us and asked for our secret warfare tactics or something? With your description of DC, pretty much what seems to happen is whenever extra-terrestrials attack Earth, Superman (being one himself) saves us all.The idea that alien species would comment on Earth's surfeit of supers was covered in one of DC's early crossover events, Invasion! I never read the actual series (despite its apparently far-reaching consequences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion!_(DC_Comics))), but I found the parody special Blasters! (written by Peter David apparently) hilarious. It starts with the alien invaders noticing that Earth has a goddamnlot of heroes. What's up with that? They crunch the numbers and come up with the mathematical-limit very-edge-of-probability "one out of every fifty" with the potential to become a superhero.

SO the aliens round up fifty random humans, put them in the Blaster Field, an area filled with the highest tech weaponry and mines and generic spinning sawblades and other hurty things... basically a deathtrap, to cause enough "stress" to bring out the latent abilities hidden within. If it worked, they would then have their very own human superhero to observe; if it didn't work, well, round up fifty more.

There are six survivors.

Twelve percent survival rate? On the first try? Clearly, humans are too dangerous to let survive. Imagine what would happen if they actually spread out into space! They unite multiple alien forces in the face of this [potential] human menace and invade the Earth.

So that's DC for you: twelve percent of the world has the potential to become super.

And as for Superman saving the world, he couldn't cut it; it took convincing the Daxamites to turn against the Invasion Alliance. Once that happened... Well, when you come right down to it, there's not much you can't do with several thousand Superman equivalents.

krossbow
2008-10-06, 09:18 PM
Anyone care to actually cite some of Reed's working inventions. Like ones you can point to with an issue number as actually existing. I mean so help me I think what improvements does say a Negative Zone gateway give to human society? (very unescapable prisons maybe.....)

The biggest one I can think of is his unstable molecule clothing worn by many of the various supers. Which okay its wonder clothing and makes you look mighty sexy, but hardly the new electric motor or microchip.

reed richards successfully made a robot thor clone.

If you can grow a replica of Thor, you should easily be able to mass grow vital organs.

He's made a device before that creates solid matter from thought.

He can make flying cars.

ect.

doliest
2008-10-06, 09:27 PM

Heck, to galactus just search Madeddon, which is bigger, stronger, and down-right eviler than...well anything really.

chiasaur11
2008-10-06, 10:12 PM

A machine to send energy anywhere in time (The Simonson run)
A cure for zits. All zits. He did that as a quick "okay, I need some cash, and so many companies will pay to bury this one".
Hovercars (first handful of issues).
Passenger ICBM: first few issues.
Really good Toasters.
Really smart robots.

Dalenthas
2008-10-07, 02:49 PM
In the Marvel Universe, it is apparently very easy to make a good AI, as Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Hank Pym, and pretty much every other "super-scientist" has done so at one point or another. Of course, to be fair, Pym's AI turned evil and omnicidal, but then again he's a particle physicist, not a programmer.

chiasaur11
2008-10-07, 06:33 PM
In the Marvel Universe, it is apparently very easy to make a good AI, as Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Hank Pym, and pretty much every other "super-scientist" has done so at one point or another. Of course, to be fair, Pym's AI turned evil and omnicidal, but then again he's a particle physicist, not a programmer.

So did several of Stark's.

Richards is the only one who manages non-evil, functional AIs consistently.

Most guys who avoid having their AIs turn evil only make one or two.

Dalenthas
2008-10-07, 08:06 PM
So did several of Stark's.

Richards is the only one who manages non-evil, functional AIs consistently.

Most guys who avoid having their AIs turn evil only make one or two.

Care to point out one? The sentient armor wasn't his fault, it was actually intrusive Ultron programming (making it, ironically, Pym's fault). HOMER, PLATO, and a few others I can't recall at the moment worked out just fine.

chiasaur11
2008-10-08, 12:36 AM
Care to point out one? The sentient armor wasn't his fault, it was actually intrusive Ultron programming (making it, ironically, Pym's fault). HOMER, PLATO, and a few others I can't recall at the moment worked out just fine.

Ah.

My mistake. I was under the impression the armor had gone bad more than once.

kpenguin
2008-10-08, 01:49 AM

Ah, Pym. The butt-monkey of the Marvel Universe.

krossbow
2008-10-08, 09:16 AM
Ah, Pym. The butt-monkey of the Marvel Universe.

Hey, when your an abusive jerk who regularly puts your girlfriend in the hospital, its hard NOT to be disliked.

chiasaur11
2008-10-08, 10:41 AM
Hey, when your an abusive jerk who regularly puts your girlfriend in the hospital, its hard NOT to be disliked.

He only hit her once.
During a mental breakdown.

He's been suffering for it ever since. Poor guy. And Busiek put so much effort into rehabilitating him too.

And besides, he's in an ace Christmas comic.

krossbow
2008-10-08, 01:19 PM
He only hit her once.
During a mental breakdown.

He's been suffering for it ever since. Poor guy. And Busiek put so much effort into rehabilitating him too.

And besides, he's in an ace Christmas comic.

He also caused her to be mass stung into shock by ants while tiny sized.

chiasaur11
2008-10-08, 03:18 PM

That was in "Ultimates", right? Because that's technically a different guy. I mean, that'd be like blaming Marvel Adventures Reed Richards for being a murderer because his zombieverse version was.

Kris Strife
2008-10-30, 12:38 AM

At least he didnt stuff her in the fridge.