PDA

View Full Version : Where exactly are raptors statted out for PC play?

overduegalaxy
2008-09-22, 10:53 PM
I know they're somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find them.

Also, what's the explanation for them being a playable race? Is this something that carried over from an earlier edition? Do people just have some innate desire to play something more reptilian than a kobold or lizardman? Is it even a 1st-party option, or is it just a 3rd-party race that keeps showing up?

Flickerdart
2008-09-22, 10:59 PM
Wherever they appear in the MM, just subtract 10 or 11 from their stats to get even modifiers and apply Level Adjustment as listed. I don't think they're actually statted anywhere.

Asbestos
2008-09-23, 12:00 AM
Aha! Found it. Savage Species has a silly image of a Deinonychus (this was before Jurassic Park misnamed them I think) fumbling with a sword and while it doesn't stat one out, it gives us the tools to do so.
Take the Dino from the MM and Awaken it.
Awaken replaces the creatures Int score with a rolled one and adds 1d3 Cha as well as 2 HD.
The animal gains the language of the caster of the Awaken spell as well as one additional language known by the caster per point of Int bonus (the animal's)
The book specifically uses the Deinonychus as an example of something lacking opposable thumbs. As such it is capable of picking up a stick, but it can't wield said stick as a club. The Dino can push and pull objects, but can not manipulate them.
Consider picking up a Tail Club (again, savage species) to add a bludgeoning attack.
Look to an Amulet of Natural Weapons for a magic item, it'll let you enchant your natural weapons as if they were regular weapons.
Hope that helps!

Iku Rex
2008-09-23, 12:01 AM
You're probably talking about raptorans. They are bird-like humanoids from Races of the Wild.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/row_gallery/86656.jpg

overduegalaxy
2008-09-23, 12:11 AM
deletia

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I knew I remembered that goofy picture from somewhere!