PDA

View Full Version : A Potentially Silly Question [4e]

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-23, 02:21 AM
The RAW is a little vague. It says that you can't have two handlsot items functioning at the same time, as in gauntlets and a shield. But says nothing on arm slotted items functioning/not functioning with arm slotted items. (Silly question I know, but I'm not accutstomed to have two slots for the limbs.)
So does this mean that hand slot items and arm slot itmes both function at the same time? Such as Iron Armbands of Power and Bracers of Perfect shot, thus effectivley getting a +2 item bonus to ranged and melee damage?

EDIT: Also, what's the point of the Iron Armbands of Power? They're the bracers of mighty striking only 4 levels higher.

Dhavaer
2008-09-23, 02:53 AM
You can use an arm slot item with a hand slot item. If the armbands and the bracers both give an item bonus, though, they won't stack.

Jokes
2008-09-23, 04:10 AM
Bracers and Shields are Arm slots, gauntlets and gloves are Hand slots. You can have gauntlets and Bracers working together, but in your example, both are Arm slots and wouldn't work.

You can benefit from only one magic item that you wear in your arms slot even if, practically speaking, you can wear bracers and carry a shield at the same time.

Dhavaer
2008-09-23, 04:28 AM
EDIT: Also, what's the point of the Iron Armbands of Power? They're the bracers of mighty striking only 4 levels higher.

Iron Armbands of Power give a damage bonus to all melee attacks. Bracers of Mighty Striking only effect basic attacks.

BobVosh
2008-09-23, 04:44 AM
What is the point of mighty striking then ;)

Jokes
2008-09-23, 04:53 AM
What is the point of mighty striking then ;)

Well, they are cheaper (level 2) and they are good for fighters who like to make opportunity attacks.

ColdSepp
2008-09-23, 05:23 AM
Bracers and Shields are Arm slots, gauntlets and gloves are Hand slots. You can have gauntlets and Bracers working together, but in your example, both are Arm slots and wouldn't work.

Customer Service has said you can use Magic Bracers/Mundane shield, at the same time, since it only applies to magic items. There was a big ado about it on the WOTC forums. It was on the thread about two hand weapons vs sword and board.

Burley
2008-09-23, 08:27 AM
Iron Armbands of Power give a damage bonus to all melee attacks. Bracers of Mighty Striking only effect basic attacks.

I've not got my books on me, but just to clear things up for me, that part I emphasized: Basic attacks, or basic melee attacks.
If it's only Melee attacks, that's not super useful.
If it's all basic attacks, that means that Warlocks can apply it to their Eldritch Blast, since EB states it functions as a basic ranged when you want it to... but with different words.

ashmanonar
2008-09-23, 09:27 AM
I've not got my books on me, but just to clear things up for me, that part I emphasized: Basic attacks, or basic melee attacks.
If it's only Melee attacks, that's not super useful.
If it's all basic attacks, that means that Warlocks can apply it to their Eldritch Blast, since EB states it functions as a basic ranged when you want it to... but with different words.

They don't need to function with Mighty Striking, because, lo and behold; the Bracers of the Perfect Shot! They add the same +2 damage bonus to ranged basic attacks.

1of3
2008-09-23, 09:54 AM

Mighty Striking is just for Basic Melee Attacks, but your Warlock really wants Bracers of the Perfect Shot for Christmas. (They are the same for basic ranged.)

Starsinger
2008-09-23, 09:59 AM
Bracers of Mighty Strike are also useful if the Party Warlord is fond of Commander's Strike. But like mentioned, they're also good for Opportunity Attacks.

Burley
2008-09-23, 11:22 AM
Bracers of Mighty Strike are also useful if the Party Warlord is fond of Commander's Strike. But like mentioned, they're also good for Opportunity Attacks.

Does an opportunity attack count as a Basic Melee? What it the OA isn't a basic melee attack, like the Battle Mage's Arcane Riposte? Would that benifit from the Bracers of Mighty Strike?

Jokes
2008-09-23, 11:35 AM
Does an opportunity attack count as a Basic Melee?

Yes, it is (phb 290).

What it the OA isn't a basic melee attack, like the Battle Mage's Arcane Riposte? Would that benifit from the Bracers of Mighty Strike?

Now that ones slightly tougher... Any thoughts? Mine would be what is your Battle Mage doing with Mighty Strike and not Perfect Shot? :smalltongue: I would also say it is not longer a basic attack.

Burley
2008-09-23, 11:40 AM
Mine would be what is your Battle Mage doing with Mighty Strike and not Perfect Shot?

I dunno, but the answer to that question is probably the same answer to this question: "Why would a wizard use Arcane Riposte, when it doesn't need Dexterity anywhere else at all?" There's a :smalltongue: for you!

Jokes
2008-09-23, 11:49 AM
Wow, that's an insanely good point...

very :smalltongue: worthy.

Starsinger
2008-09-23, 11:53 AM
I dunno, but the answer to that question is probably the same answer to this question: "Why would a wizard use Arcane Riposte, when it doesn't need Dexterity anywhere else at all?" There's a :smalltongue: for you!

Arcane Riposte wouldn't be bad for Wandzards if it wasn't for the fact that Arcane Riposte doesn't get an implement bonus to hit. Meaning it's useless.