PDA

View Full Version : Judicial Coup D' Etat - Consequences

Moechi_Vill
2008-09-23, 04:31 AM
Personally I classify V's act as easily CG, but that's to the side. This thread is created now to ponder the consequences of V's actions.
Obviously he's saved many lives and possibly the world by killing (not murdering, as it could be easily justified as a pure AND greater act of self defense (pure self defense as this person is known for his penchant for assassinations and extrajudicial methods and a trial would result in massive attempts at assassinations and perversion of justice. This is what a closed trial, a court martial or summary justice is for.)) Kubota.
But what will happen to the party? Unless public opinion is overwhelmingly in favor of Hinjo he will have to take the counterintuitive (as in against the interests of the entire fleet) step of banishing them.

What V did was perform a coup, judicially. The price will most likely constitute being chucked off the fleet, as covering for them will make Hinjo a tyrant.

Personally I feel this is worth it, Kubota had managed to turn the primary force of good for saving the world into a neutral fleet of boats sailing aimlessly around in the wind. Now they will go on to save the world, plus this turn of events will bring the OotS back into their own.

What Hinjo could do alternately, is take control of the judicial system and declare V's actions legal. That would certainly allay the concerns of everyone on this board who found his actions reprehensible. Earthly law is bought by blood and it can be rescinded by blood.

vegetalss4
2008-09-23, 04:37 AM
clearly kabuto whas a murderer on the run, and V had to kill him in self defense. whos gonna say otherwise. the Katos? the he tried to murder my babies Katos? V clerly not. Elan? he dosen't even see it as wrong

Dervag
2008-09-23, 04:40 AM
This would be very easy to cover up in several ways. "Disintegrated him in self defense" is the easiest. Another is "Lord Kubota fled the scene, escaped Elan, and we don't know where he went."

The problem is that the current government is ruled by a paladin. Hinjo isn't all that likely to lie to his people. So if he finds out, the whole thing could get blown wide open.

Benime
2008-09-23, 04:45 AM
I'm mainly wondering what Elan will do, since his actions in the very near future will determine if there are any consequences at all.

As a side note that's almost unrelated: I don't remember who said it but I agree with the idea that if OotS was a tabletop game, Elan is being played by the most mature, wise and intelligent roleplayer in the group. Every time he gets put into situations like this the results are always entertaining; almost as if it was planned that way...

Red XIV
2008-09-23, 04:51 AM
This would be very easy to cover up in several ways. "Disintegrated him in self defense" is the easiest. Another is "Lord Kubota fled the scene, escaped Elan, and we don't know where he went."

The problem is that the current government is ruled by a paladin. Hinjo isn't all that likely to lie to his people. So if he finds out, the whole thing could get blown wide open.
That would of course be why you don't tell Hinjo. Kubota simply vanished, and nobody knows where he is. The most likely scenario is that he tragically fell overboard and since he wears heavy armor to protect against assassins, he sank to his death. If anybody would like to provide evidence that something else happens, be my guest. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, that scenario relies on Elan doing what would be smartest, so...

Danukian
2008-09-23, 05:19 AM
The whole point of the Gust of Wind was to eliminate any evidence - obviously Kubota knew the Azurite legal system much better than the PCs, and was planning on exploiting that fact - No one other than Elan, V, the Kato's, Kubota and the Lone Ninja knew Kubota's plans, and we have know proof anyone other than Elan and V knew that Kubota made it safely out of the row-boat.

The Gust of Wind blew all of Kubota's identifiable equipment into the ocean, destroying all evidence of his being there - the only to testify that Kubota wasn't lost at sea is the Lone Ninja. There isn't even a reason to suspect V, let alone enough evidence to bring him to trail.

Jenx
2008-09-23, 05:55 AM
...Geez, excuse me for saying this, but do we really need so many threads all saying "oh my gosh I can't believe V just did that let's discuss alignments now"? Yeah, he did something shocking, yeah, it might not be exactly good, and yeah - there will probably be consequences for his act. Does everyone need to repeat that several times in several posts in several threads?

David Argall
2008-09-23, 08:30 PM
Apparently, yes.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-23, 08:40 PM
Miko Dies. 4000 Miko threads pop out.

Vaarsuvius is found to be quasi-gendered. 4000 V-Gener threads pop out.

People start wondering why Sabine is a demon/devil, if Haley isn't a celestial. 40 "Is Haley as Celestial" threads pop out.

They visit the oracle. 2000 "Interpret the Oracle's thoughts" threads pop out.

It's part of the OOTS community's nature to post a bjillion (not a real number, I know) threads about anything new. At least it's slowed down the "When will Belkar Die" and "When will Roy be Rezzed" threads a bit.

Jenx
2008-09-24, 01:25 AM
Which on it's own isn't that big of a problem. I do find that endless speculation ruin the enjoyment of a comic somewhat, but considering we have an "official" thread that obviously discusses 2-3 of the threads, I just find it nothing but spamming to keep making new and new threads saying the same thing that's already said. (or maybe I'm just looking too much into this.)

Oberon
2008-09-24, 02:13 AM
clearly kabuto whas a murderer on the run, and V had to kill him in self defense. whos gonna say otherwise. the Katos? the he tried to murder my babies Katos? V clerly not. Elan? he dosen't even see it as wrong

Waht do you mean he doesn't see it as wrong? There's no evidence to support that. All we know is Elan wanted to bring Kubota to trial and is shocked by V's actions. I think this will lead at the very least to an moral argument between Elan and V. Even though he is chaotic, Elan still has qualms about breaking the rules... in a bad way. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0471.html)

Pheldagriff
2008-09-24, 02:31 AM
my guess is that there will be absolutely zero repercussions for V

besides, I expect the next strip to portray one of the other arcs again

NikkTheTrick
2008-09-24, 02:34 AM
And getting kicked off the boat will hurt OotS (since we are talking about it in "reduced format", it will be EVD from now on) how?

EVD should have some straight talk with Hinjo about their priorities and course of action. OotS mission is to save the world. Recapture of AC is a concern only if it helps the saving the world goal. As of now, Hinjo needs EVD way more than they need Hinjo. V is capable of oversee travel due to flight and if anything getting a ferry should not be too problematic for EVD. If Hinjo gets angry at V, V should just say "screw you" and fly away.

VariaVespasa
2008-09-24, 02:40 AM
The whole point of the Gust of Wind was to eliminate any evidence - obviously Kubota knew the Azurite legal system much better than the PCs, and was planning on exploiting that fact - No one other than Elan, V, the Kato's, Kubota and the Lone Ninja knew Kubota's plans, and we have know proof anyone other than Elan and V knew that Kubota made it safely out of the row-boat.

The Gust of Wind blew all of Kubota's identifiable equipment into the ocean, destroying all evidence of his being there - the only to testify that Kubota wasn't lost at sea is the Lone Ninja. There isn't even a reason to suspect V, let alone enough evidence to bring him to trail.

Er, I doubt it was the ONLY reason- it also served to destroy any semblance of a body, which makes it harder to resurrect him. Not impossible or anything, but requiring a higher level spell, if I recall, which may be harder to get. Azure City was a major hub of civilisation, and had possibly the best chance of having a priest capable of casting the needed spell, and the main AC priest died in the battle, so it may be a LOT harder to find anyone else to raise him.