PDA

View Full Version : MnM Noir

Tadanori Oyama
2008-09-23, 01:02 PM
I'm considering running a Film Noir detective story style adventure using MnM rules, and early Golden Age style adventure of sorts.

The players aren't MnM players so I'm just using the system as is in a lower power level setting (I'm thinking around level five, maybe four), enough for them to get some decently high attributes without having alot of powers (though some special powers is fine, al la The Shadow, etc).

My question is simply: is this a good idea? I have other systems I could use (Hunter the Vigil looks appealing). I want something that's fairly simple and focuses more around roleplaying and simple die rolls.

Anyone tried something similar?

TerrickTerran
2008-09-23, 01:08 PM
MNM works fine for Noir (and has a really good book for it which will hopefully update at some point) PL 5 or 6 would work just fine.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-23, 01:10 PM
Out of curiosity, do you want to have any supernatural elements? Or will everyone be a (badass) normal?

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-23, 01:13 PM
MNM works fine for Noir (and has a really good book for it which will hopefully update at some point) PL 5 or 6 would work just fine.

The main writer of Noir, however, has stated that he would probably rewrite the entire book rather than just adapting it to 2nd Edition due to it being the most hated book of M&M.

Silly Christopher McGlothlin.

batsofchaos
2008-09-23, 01:18 PM
Yeah, MnM would work just fine for that sort of game.

I'd go with the slightly higher power level, just so the players can get a smorgasbord of skills, which is very important to detectivey characters. Probably don't need to go higher than 8, but those extra points are a good idea. To keep with the flavor, you could impose a restriction on powers by setting the level cap at half or even a third what it would normally be.

Additionally, a lot of the powers can be flavored differently since they fundamentally describe the outcome of use without dictating the cause. The blast power could be an energy blast a la DBZ, but it could also be flavored as a plain old gun. If you go that route, you're probably going to end up with something a bit more pulp than noir, but could still be well within the bounds of the system. Remember, this system can be used to create a living tree that throws exploding apples as a character, without much trouble, with a viable build.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-09-23, 03:01 PM
Out of curiosity, do you want to have any supernatural elements? Or will everyone be a (badass) normal?

They'd be able to make that up on their own. The main idea was that they aren't have the truth of their powers publically known so they have to be able to hide them. If they can't realistically do so, than I probably won't let them use it.