PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter what gender V is?

TGWG
2008-09-23, 01:38 PM
Because whatever gender he/she/it is, any sex he has is gonna be HAWT... well, mabye not now.

vampire2948
2008-09-23, 01:41 PM
It matters not.

For we shall never know.

And it is a recurring joke.

Vampire2948,

Ridureyu
2008-09-23, 01:42 PM
It matters because, until we know the truth, squeeing 14-year-old girls can't make up strangely inappropriate homosexual fanfiction for V. V can't bang Belkar if V is a girl, after all.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-23, 01:50 PM
The weird thing is that it's only a recurring joke because people think it is.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-23, 02:01 PM
The weird thing is that it's only a recurring joke because people think it is.

Humm... I thought it started out that way and became an official reoccuring joke. As I understand it, the Giant started out with a gender for V but early readers couldn't tell right off the bat what gender that was supposed to be. The Giant, not missing opportunity knocking, decided that he would from that point forward make it a reoccuring joke in the strip and also never reveal it.

Kaytara
2008-09-23, 02:32 PM
I kind of wonder... Why IS there virtually no OotS fanfiction? There are so many aspects that could be further explored, and... all right, Baalkarius fics are probably better off never seeing the light of day, the House of Horrors is more than enough, but still.... It's not like the fanbase is too small...

Fawkes
2008-09-23, 02:34 PM
I kind of wonder... Why IS there virtually no OotS fanfiction? There are so many aspects that could be further explored, and... all right, Baalkarius fics are probably better off never seeing the light of day, the House of Horrors is more than enough, but still.... It's not like the fanbase is too small...

Maybe the fanbase is too intelligent?

Naaaah.

AtomicKitKat
2008-09-23, 02:34 PM
Humm... I thought it started out that way and became an official reoccuring joke. As I understand it, the Giant started out with a gender for V but early readers couldn't tell right off the bat what gender that was supposed to be. The Giant, not missing opportunity knocking, decided that he would from that point forward make it a reoccuring joke in the strip and also never reveal it.

Bang on the noggin. Right around the point Roy called him V-man, and people were "Wait, I thought he was a she!" and Rich saw an opportunity to get rich(well, compared to 0 dollars).

Kaytara
2008-09-23, 02:37 PM
Maybe the fanbase is too intelligent?

Naaaah.

Eeeh... XD Well, the fanbase can't be too BUSY. We're talking about the people who start threads on exactly what kind of potion Elan swallowed before jumping off the boat....

Jenx
2008-09-23, 02:45 PM
It doesn't matter in the slightest, but people insist on theorizing about it. Like the 4 words that he's supposed to say, or how Belkar will die, or why the Oracle isn't purple instead or some other random thing.

FelixZ
2008-09-23, 03:08 PM
Eeeh... XD Well, the fanbase can't be too BUSY. We're talking about the people who start threads on exactly what kind of potion Elan swallowed before jumping off the boat....

Freedom of Movement of course. But that's off topic.

Didn't Haley have V in her room at an inn?

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-23, 03:25 PM
No, FelixZ, for the love of humanity and the Order of the Stick, don't turn this into another V gender debate thread!:smalleek:

And it matters because people want to say he or she when talking about V, as well as the fact that knowing what gender a character is is important to some readers of any fiction.

-Fiery Diamond

edit- and the answer to your question, FelixZ, is yes

WarriorTribble
2008-09-23, 03:31 PM
It matters because, until we know the truth, squeeing 14-year-old girls can't make up strangely inappropriate homosexual fanfiction for V. V can't bang Belkar if V is a girl, after all.Oh my, someone hasn't seen any Sheik (alter ego to Princess Zelda) is gay for Link fanfic.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-23, 04:06 PM
I'm actually surprised there isn't. After all, it's not like you actually need to know which s/he is in order to write it, if you're vague enough.

Jenx
2008-09-23, 05:05 PM
Yet we somehow manage just fine without knowing his gender, right?
Some use male, some female, some use him/her, some use "hir" instead - in the end it's down to each person to decide for himself, just like characters do in the comic.

snoopy13a
2008-09-23, 05:51 PM
It matters if V and his/her spouse decide to have a child. A pregnant V would be significantly different from a non-pregnant V :smallsmile:

Linkavitch
2008-09-23, 06:00 PM
Not really. We'll probably never meet V's mate, so s/he will die with the knowledge. (What I want to know is why no one in the OotS has actually asked.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-23, 06:08 PM
Not really. We'll probably never meet V's mate, so s/he will die with the knowledge. (What I want to know is why no one in the OotS has actually asked.)Why does my gender matter to you? Are you so unenlightened that you cannot judge me without knowing what is beneath my robes? And further, what abysmal spot score must you have to not know already? Leave my presence.

Jenx
2008-09-24, 01:20 AM
What the previous poster said.
1. V obviously doesn't view gender as anything important...or in some cases, as anything at all (I suspect that's why Haley sleeps in the same room with him, not because she actually knows what gender V is)
2. Asking out right would result in the triad already posted by the previous poster, or, if asked in the mood V's now:
2.1. Result in desintigration rays and fireballs running all over the place for people poking their nonexistent noses into his/her business. Now would anyone really want that happening to them?

Kurald Galain
2008-09-24, 03:15 AM
(What I want to know is why no one in the OotS has actually asked.)

Roy did, in Origin of PCs. He did not get an answer.

FoE
2008-09-24, 03:42 AM
(What I want to know is why no one in the OotS has actually asked.)

Can you imagine that line of questioning? "Say, umm, V, we were wondering ... what gender are you?" Aaaaaaaaaawkward.

And it's only the (confirmed) males who are wondering. Haley has not shown one bit of curiousity, implying she already knows.

starburst98
2008-09-24, 06:59 AM
think the reason haley does not mind him sleeping in the same room is the fact that he is married and doesn't seem like the cheating type.

DigoDragon
2008-09-24, 08:08 AM
Unless one is planning on buying V some fancy undies I don't think gender really matters. :smallsmile: It never mattered with the old IRC RP group I used to be a part of.

FelixZ
2008-09-24, 08:10 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html

Silverlocke980
2008-09-24, 11:35 PM
Unless it's relevant to what its four words will be, probably not.

Dervag
2008-09-24, 11:52 PM
It's not important, but it's fun to think about.

Also, most people will think differently about a man who behaves exactly as V does and about a woman who behaves exactly as V does. V has a constant air of exasperated impatience. That fits slightly differently on female shoulders from the way it does on male shoulders, I think.

ref
2008-09-25, 06:03 AM
It doesn't matter in the slightest, but people insist on theorizing about it. Like the 4 words that he's supposed to say, or how Belkar will die, or why the Oracle isn't purple instead or some other random thing.

I can answer the last one. It's because Lickmypurpleballshalfling doesn't have the same ring to it. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Laurentio II
2008-09-25, 06:13 AM
think the reason haley does not mind him sleeping in the same room is the fact that he is married and doesn't seem like the cheating type.
Or, she was planing to wait for Vaarsuvius to make the first move, than frame him. Blackmail was not out of Haley modus operandi in first strips.

Jenx
2008-09-25, 09:35 AM
Or maybe the simple fact that V just doesn't seem to CARE about people's genders himself/herself. Haley could just be sure that V wouldn't get any ideas in his head, since he wouldn't care any more or less if Haley was female or not.

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-09-25, 01:00 PM
I think the question of V's gender is of such importance that it is on par with the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Coincidently the answer to both questions is 42.

mikeejimbo
2008-09-25, 02:25 PM
I think the question of V's gender is of such importance that it is on par with the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Coincidently the answer to both questions is 42.

If we could pack a reference to Star Wars and Star Trek in Dr. Cthulwho's Hitchhiker's Reference, it'd be the perfect nerd.

Underground
2008-09-26, 02:05 AM
I sincerly hope it matters to his/her marriage partner what gender V is.

Though they are separated for half an eternity, so one cant be sure of that, either.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-26, 11:55 AM
I sincerly hope it matters to his/her marriage partner what gender V is.Why? His/her partner could be Bi.

Jenx
2008-09-26, 02:03 PM
I sincerly hope it matters to his/her marriage partner what gender V is.

Or maybe it really doesn't matter at all. Sorry, but I can't help but post this:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7655/comiclotr143eh4.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=comiclotr143eh4.jpg)http://img88.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Iranon
2008-09-26, 03:03 PM
If you are a high-level wizard and live in a world where belts of gender changing litter the ground...

I'd say it doesn't.

Callista
2008-09-26, 08:10 PM
I don't know if V even has to have a gender. I don't see why it's so important that s/he should have one.

But then, I don't think my own gender is all that important, either. By my avatar (and in real life), I'm female, and look female; but I don't fit into male or female stereotypes, I don't particularly care whether I look feminine (nor do I try to look masculine)... I'm just me. I happen to be female; I happen to have brown hair; I happen to be 5'3" tall... There are a lot more important aspects to who I am than that.

Funniest thing: I took the MMPI (psychological personality test) and my score on one of the subscales--"gender"--put me smack in the middle between male and female. I guess I'm mentally androgynous?

Maybe, to elves (or at least to V) gender simply isn't that important. Maybe s/he's like me, and like many other people who are tired of being defined by whether or not they have boobs.

AceOfFools
2008-09-26, 08:22 PM
"Oh, when the Fool pisses,
Pray tell, what is the angle?
Did we take down his pants
Would he dimple or dangle?"

-Robin Hob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hobb).

Assassin89
2008-10-10, 09:43 PM
The only time gender would matter, is if the key to arcane power depends on a specific gender (female-only power) or the action in the second panel of 586 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0586.html) purely for comedic effect.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-10-10, 09:57 PM
It, in fact, does matter. At the end of the day, somebody has to go home saying "I'm right. You're wrong."
Human nature. I blame Thor.

Return of Lanky
2008-10-10, 10:12 PM
I think it matters to some people because, on some level and regardless of what we already know about a story, we always want to know more. Admit it. Any story, ever, that you've ever read, watched, played... Any story you've ever developed a genuine interest in, you'd be happier if you knew more.

I think the reason it garners so much ATTENTION is not necessarily the fact that the information is unknown, however, but because it's a piece of information which is normally taken for granted as being confirmed about a character.