PDA

View Full Version : limiting maximum page width?

three08
2008-09-23, 03:49 PM
in order to reduce my bandwidth consumption, so my corporate overlords won't block giantitp.com from work, i've turned off images, but it replaces them with their URLs which are often quite long. for whatever reason, line breaks are not inserted and so the page width adjusts to however long the longest image URL on the page is. when reading posts with a lot of text, this can be quite a hassle, as i have to scroll back and forth every time i'm done reading a line. is there any easy way to fix this?

Rawhide
2008-09-23, 03:58 PM
Try Firefox.

three08
2008-09-23, 05:43 PM
well i have that at home and it's going okay so far but the ol' corporate overlords kinda get all fire-y if you try to install applications or similar. if it's a client-side issue i'll try and poke around with the options in ie (at least, the ones that aren't locked to me).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-23, 06:15 PM
well i have that at home and it's going okay so far but the ol' corporate overlords kinda get all fire-y if you try to install applications or similar. if it's a client-side issue i'll try and poke around with the options in ie (at least, the ones that aren't locked to me).I've run FF off of a zip drive before, as well as Skype. Shouldn't worry the overlords.

Occasional Sage
2008-09-24, 12:39 AM
I've run FF off of a zip drive before, as well as Skype. Shouldn't worry the overlords.

Hmm. Depends on the overlords.

Mine won't allow zip drives and the like unless you're a Senior Vice President or above (a rough generality, but mostly accurate), in order to prevent theft of highly valuable confidential and/or proprietary data.

And yes, I can see all of the holes in their theory that you're about to point out to me.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-09-24, 05:49 AM
I have the same problem - I can scroll the window from side to side, but that gets a little tedious.

I've run FF off of a zip drive before, as well as Skype. Shouldn't worry the overlords.

It is the act of running the software at all that will get you in to trouble, not whether it is being run of an external device. Using an external device may hinder the overlords from discovering you, but will not save you when you get caught.

(And yes, I work for an IT company. They have to be strict with security for very good reasons...)

Edit: And we had someone thrown off the project (aka removed by security) for running skype.

Firestar27
2008-09-24, 06:42 PM
Try Firefox.

That's the answer to all computer problems. Firefox fixes all.

Neftren
2008-09-24, 07:26 PM
Are you allowed to tinker with your monitor's resolution...?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-24, 10:42 PM
Is this on your own computer, where you can set your own personal settings on the browser? If so, you could possibly use a personal stylesheet to constrain the image elements' size. That is, of course, assuming that the displayed link behaves as the image normally would.

Alternatively, you could save a javascript bookmarklet that does roughly the same thing, but you'd have to turn that on on every page you visit.

If I have the time, I'll see if I can whip something up.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-09-25, 03:40 AM
I am already running at the highest resolution available to me.

Most of the time it is not a major issue. It's just that the long concatenated addresses cause the occasional problem (If there was even a space between the image tags it would probably help)...

For the few threads where it is a huge problem I can always browse at home.

sonofzeal
2008-09-26, 01:20 AM
That's the answer to all computer problems. Firefox fixes all.
I thought it was "Google Chrome" these days.

Can't wait until they make an OS.... :smallbiggrin: