PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of an Inexperienced Dungeon Master

Ultima
2008-09-23, 05:32 PM
So, just this Friday I tried my hand at DMing. It didn't go so well, and I plan to hand all you guys my story and force you all to read it. Not really, but anyway, I'll post it on here.

Also, I'd be making a webcomic from this, but I am currently unable to harness my drawing skill in the way of cartoonism. Myself is epic flail.

I'll have you know I plan on doing this as often as I can get three different people to come over to my house. These should all be Friday nights, since it's convenient because of my personal life; this probably means if nothing impedes me I'll post updates on Sunday.

Anyway, first, let me introduce the "characters." They're actually actual people, but... anyway.

Me: I'm telling this story from a first-person view, as the DM. I've read through all of the Player's Handbook, familiarized myself with the format of the Monster Manual entries, and am making my way through the Dungeon Master's Guide. I've also read all of the Order of the Stick, which got me into this game. I haven't actually played the game but I am familiarized with the rules.

Dad: My father, who I buggered into playing after he read all of the Order of the Stick. He's probably the most informed about the system, and he's familiarized with World of Warcraft; he often compares different mechanics in the game to WoW. He's rolled a dwarven cleric; I believe of a god of nature, with his domains earth and fire. His character's name is "Shiintu Thundershield"

Brother (Also: Bro, Eric): My younger brother; age 10. He's hyperactive, doesn't pay much attention, and will probably want to kill every single squirrel I describe running across their path. He's a human fighter, only because he thinks it'll be most like World of Warcraft's Warrior. He knows very little of the game.

Jason: My friend; age 12. He is one of the two in the group that like to torture me. He told me beforehand he wanted to be an elf ranger. I'm not sure how he'll play, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a little bit on the munchkin side of the street.

Dakota (Also: 'Kota): My other friend; also age 12. He's proven that he's likely to be insane multiple times, and also takes joy in torturing me. He doesn't get along too well with Jason. I'm not sure how he's gonna play, but he's an elf wizard.

Amanda (Also: 'Manda): A childhood friend of mine; age 16. She's largely a roleplayer, and she's rolled a half-elven druid. My thoughts are that she's feeling a niche; or possibly a trope by being a female player who roleplays. Did I mention she's a druid?

Chapter 1: The First Session

The first session was uneventful: at first only four of the above were present; that being me, my dad, Dakota, and Jason. Dakota, Jason, and I began to play Castle Crashers together before Amanda arrived; Eric got home later, and then finally... I began getting my marbles together. With only a few hours left, we began making characters. With only a little experience, it was very cumbersome, especially since it was hard to get everyone's attention on the character creation. Session ends; we're almost done making characters.

Chapter 1a: The First Session Aftermath

Saturday afternoon, Dakota, Jason, Eric and I were at an event. Here I was informed by Jason that Dakota wanted his starting weapons to be a sap and darts. He decided his character is already useless in combat, so he should at least be able to auto-knockout some foes with his sap. I explained to him that wasn't how it worked; he explained he still wanted it. I sighed and said to leave it 'til next session.

I also have an interesting story to tell about darts. A while ago, we were all sitting around (excluding my dad, actually). Dakota was playing darts, my brother and Jason billiards, Amanda and I just sitting around. Well, Dakota throws a dart (miserably, may I add) and it hits a metal part of the dartboard. It bounces off, and in a stroke of unluckiness, it lands in Amanda's arm. Thus, I thought it interesting when he wanted darts as a weapon, seeing as he's already experienced with them.

Anyway, I hope for this to be more interesting later on. I'm off to play Spore, and halfway expect to come back to flaming attack dogs; and the other half of me wants to expect to come back to people saying they can't wait to hear about the next session.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-23, 05:58 PM
So, just this Friday I tried my hand at DMing. It didn't go so well, and I plan to hand all you guys my story and force you all to read it. Not really, but anyway, I'll post it on here.

Also, I'd be making a webcomic from this, but I am currently unable to harness my drawing skill in the way of cartoonism. Myself is epic flail.

I'll have you know I plan on doing this as often as I can get three different people to come over to my house. These should all be Friday nights, since it's convenient because of my personal life; this probably means if nothing impedes me I'll post updates on Sunday.

Anyway, first, let me introduce the "characters." They're actually actual people, but... anyway.

Me: I'm telling this story from a first-person view, as the DM. I've read through all of the Player's Handbook, familiarized myself with the format of the Monster Manual entries, and am making my way through the Dungeon Master's Guide. I've also read all of the Order of the Stick, which got me into this game. I haven't actually played the game but I am familiarized with the rules.

Dad: My father, who I buggered into playing after he read all of the Order of the Stick. He's probably the most informed about the system, and he's familiarized with World of Warcraft; he often compares different mechanics in the game to WoW. He's rolled a dwarven cleric; I believe of a god of nature, with his domains earth and fire. His character's name is "Shiintu Thundershield"

Brother (Also: Bro, Eric): My younger brother; age 10. He's hyperactive, doesn't pay much attention, and will probably want to kill every single squirrel I describe running across their path. He's a human fighter, only because he thinks it'll be most like World of Warcraft's Warrior. He knows very little of the game.

Jason: My friend; age 12. He is one of the two in the group that like to torture me. He told me beforehand he wanted to be an elf ranger. I'm not sure how he'll play, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a little bit on the munchkin side of the street.

Dakota (Also: 'Kota): My other friend; also age 12. He's proven that he's likely to be insane multiple times, and also takes joy in torturing me. He doesn't get along too well with Jason. I'm not sure how he's gonna play, but he's an elf wizard.

Amanda (Also: 'Manda): A childhood friend of mine; age 16. She's largely a roleplayer, and she's rolled a half-elven druid. My thoughts are that she's feeling a niche; or possibly a trope by being a female player who roleplays. Did I mention she's a druid?

The first session was uneventful: at first only four of the above were present; that being me, my dad, Dakota, and Jason. Dakota, Jason, and I began to play Castle Crashers together before Amanda arrived; Eric got home later, and then finally... I began getting my marbles together. With only a few hours left, we began making characters. With only a little experience, it was very cumbersome, especially since it was hard to get everyone's attention on the character creation. Session ends; we're almost done making characters.

Saturday afternoon, Dakota, Jason, Eric and I were at an event. Here I was informed by Jason that Dakota wanted his starting weapons to be a sap and darts. He decided his character is already useless in combat, so he should at least be able to auto-knockout some foes with his sap. I explained to him that wasn't how it worked; he explained he still wanted it. I sighed and said to leave it 'til next session.

I also have an interesting story to tell about darts. A while ago, we were all sitting around (excluding my dad, actually). Dakota was playing darts, my brother and Jason billiards, Amanda and I just sitting around. Well, Dakota throws a dart (miserably, may I add) and it hits a metal part of the dartboard. It bounces off, and in a stroke of unluckiness, it lands in Amanda's arm. Thus, I thought it interesting when he wanted darts as a weapon, seeing as he's already experienced with them.

Anyway, I hope for this to be more interesting later on. I'm off to play Spore, and halfway expect to come back to flaming attack dogs; and the other half of me wants to expect to come back to people saying they can't wait to hear about the next session.

I like that your family plays. Your Dad made a good Dwarven Cleric I think; that healing he can sub will be useful.

You have two friends that don't like each other/get along?

Funny thing is Jason plays a Ranger and you say he tries to be munchkin. Sadly, there is little to munchkin as Ranger.

Jason/Dakota tries to make his darts auto hit is a little munchkin. But then again, this would be his first Wizard. They aren't that weak if he picks the right spells. But a first time wizard can be intimidating.

A Druid played by a munchkin is scarier than much in D&D, but luckily it is played by your friend who you say is more a roleplayer.
Does he have an animal Companion?

I'm curious where your first adventure will lead you. What encounter ideas have you planned for first game?

Lycan 01
2008-09-23, 06:03 PM
I, for one, want to know what happens in the next session. :smalltongue:

Good luck, new DM! You'll need it, with a party like that...

DM Raven
2008-09-23, 06:16 PM
One thing to keep in mind, DMs will often be super critical of their work because they can see and know about all the mistakes they make during the game (much like a musician) and all the encounters they plan that don't go as they wanted.

Players, on the other hand, don't see most of this, and a lot of times they just have fun being able to play their characters in fantasy settings and survive dangerous encounters. As a player, I'm sure you know the excitement you feel when a battle begins and you begin going over your strategies in your head. Or when you get to use one of your skills to have a good non-combat encounter with an NPC, trap, or puzzle situation. Or that time you stepped up and said or did something really cool that may have very well saved your party or helped them gain access to something beneficial.

If you want your players to have fun, simply provide them with oppertunities for their characters to shine. This will cause them to grow attached to their characters and make gaming with them that much more fun.

So yeah...be flexible, tell a good story, and always listen to your players and I'm sure your games will be things of legend.

Good luck!

metalbear
2008-09-23, 06:29 PM
Having both played and DMed with two other players that could best be described as antagonistic to each other, I would recommend the best course of action is to just let them sort it out themselves and if they are overly immature about it, you take them aside and explain they either are going to get along or rocks will fall/rust monster attack/ ect. will happen. Good luck.

TheThan
2008-09-23, 06:34 PM
Yep Dms are their own worst critic.

Anyway if you didn’t notice there’s a wonderful little thread that’s been stickied up at the top of the page for how to be a Dm, or how to improve upon your already existing skills.

I’ve always found it easier to sit down with each player separately and roll characters. Walking each player through character creation really helps your players understand how to make characters. Another option you might want to consider is to run the players though what is called a “mock battle”. The idea is you throw a typical combat encounter at them and teach them the combat rules (or at lest the basics of it). Since combat is the most complex part of dnd it will help both you as DM and your players to understand how it works. Think of it as ironing out the kinks. Just make sure they know that it’s a teaching session and not part of the real campaign you have planned. That way they won’t get upset at not earning Xp for it (or you could be nice and give it to them anyway).

Good luck on your endeavor into the realm of DnD.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-23, 06:59 PM
I know from experience that character creation can be the longest, most boring part of D&D. My advice? If some of your players are there, and you're still waiting for the others, don't just goof off while you wait; instead, go ahead and start building the characters.

A few weeks back, I had a session with some new players. We started at seven-thirty, and it took two-and-a-half long, agonizing hours for the three to make their characters, even with the four more experienced players helping them out. Because it took so long to make the characters, we didn't wrap up the session 'til about three in the morning. That's how I learned another lesson: don't DM when you're tired. Trust me on this.

Ultima
2008-09-23, 07:22 PM
@ Starbuck_II: I believe you've made a mistake. I said I think that he'd play the game a little more like a munchkin, never that he was all-out munchkin. Also, Amanda is female: I believe you implied otherwise. Anyway, I think she plans on having an animal companion, but then again, I said she's a big roleplayer.

@ Lycan 01: Thanks for your good wishes, I'm sure they'll come in handy.

@ DM Raven: I'm trying not to be too critical on myself, but I've been rather unorganized. If all else fails, then I think I'm gonna pull out a premade adventure. That's some great advice, by the way- thanks.

General:

You should note that none of these people have even played a single game before.

Also, I have the concepts for two different adventures in my head, trying to get a grasp on reality, but... so far they're just ideas.

My first is that they're commissioned by the church (probably of Pelor) to kill a necromancer/dark priest in the forest who has been capturing people to sacrifice them to his dark god. He also would summon some demons for the fight, making for a good challenge.

My second idea was of a dungeon crawl in a monstrous humanoid race's home, where they rescue a prisoner, the only one alive. He pledges his life to them, with a sort of "what will you do with your new slave" connotation to it. I expect they'll have fun selling him into slavery... or whatever they choose to do with near-starved, dying old man.

Edit: Thanks for the advice, you two three who posted while I was typing this up.

Raz_Fox
2008-09-23, 07:24 PM
It's always great to hear about someone joining the hobby. I'll heartily echo the sentiments above - good luck to you and your game!

Starbuck_II
2008-09-23, 07:27 PM
Also, Amanda is female: I believe you implied otherwise. Anyway, I think she plans on having an animal companion, but then again, I said she's a big roleplayer.

Yeah, I did say he once. Hey, he/she is all the same save 1 letter.

Ultima
2008-09-23, 07:31 PM
Yeah, the only problem was it confused me. I thought you might have been talking about Jason, but then I realized that rangers get their animal companions at level 4, and so I assumed you were talking about Amanda instead.

Raum
2008-09-23, 07:34 PM

Also, I'd be making a webcomic from this, but I am currently unable to harness my drawing skill in the way of cartoonism. Myself is epic flail.Hardly. Just at character creation - you can't possibly be at "epic flail" yet. :) Don't feel too bad though, learning a new game almost always has a few bumps in the road. Besides, you haven't chosen the easiest game to master.

Saturday afternoon, Dakota, Jason, Eric and I were at an event. Here I was informed by Jason that Dakota wanted his starting weapons to be a sap and darts. He decided his character is already useless in combat, so he should at least be able to auto-knockout some foes with his sap. I explained to him that wasn't how it worked; he explained he still wanted it. I sighed and said to leave it 'til next session.You might wave proficiency requirements if you're feeling generous but I recommend sticking to standard combat rules otherwise - at least till you know what you're changing. Wizards in particular can be very powerful without auto-winning saps. Although you probably won't have to worry about overpowered wizards if he's already planning on melee combat.

One thing I recommend you do as a group - set expectations. Do you want to play a gritty game with characters dying left and right? An over the top heroic game where characters never die? Or something in between? Are you going to play an epic adventure of world changing events? A political power game between nations? A dungeon crawl of pure combat? Or something else? Are you playing a scripted plot where characters are expected to cheerfully follow given clues? Is the world a great big sandbox? Or something in between?

What ever your answers, make sure you and your players expect the same game. That will solve many issues before they happen.

Greenfaun
2008-09-23, 07:51 PM
...My father, who I buggered into playing...
:smalleek:
I'm assuming by context cues you meant "bugged" there. That's an important distinction. Then again, maybe you do things differently in your family, I'm not judging anybody... :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2008-09-23, 08:34 PM
My second idea was of a dungeon crawl in a monstrous humanoid race's home, where they rescue a prisoner, the only one alive. He pledges his life to them, with a sort of "what will you do with your new slave" connotation to it. I expect they'll have fun selling him into slavery... or whatever they choose to do with near-starved, dying old man.

I like this idea. Kobold lair, fill it full of the little buggers, and have a failed avdenturer locked up at the end of the cave. Dun dudda! Players get to learn via hacking through easy enemies, and they get a nice little moral delima at the end! :smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2008-09-23, 08:47 PM
Let me outline a couple of my early mistakes, to help you not make them too.

First, don't make BBEG's at constant levels, assuming your PC's will only face them when they reach that level. That's not good. That's not a BBEG, that's a standard encounter.

Also, even if you want to level your PCs up before they reach something important, never force your PCs to fight three sets of Scorpians in a row (or 3 sets of any monster in a row), since that tends to get boring. Send something new at them as often as you can, while being reasonable.

Furthermore, your PCs should not be in a city after every battle, allowing them to totally restock all their health. Plus, if you don't want to give them a certain magic item from the DMG, but they want it... guess what? The item either a) doesn't exist, b) isn't in that shop, or c) needs a quest to be found (whatever suits you best).

Sorry if I sound forceful or something, I just know I made mistakes similar to those. These are just my (very small amount of) experience's suggestions.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-23, 09:17 PM
Plus, if you don't want to give them a certain magic item from the DMG, but they want it... guess what? The item either a) doesn't exist, b) isn't in that shop, or c) needs a quest to be found (whatever suits you best).

Nuh-uh. Magic items should not just be laying around in shops. If you have magic items on the shelves, PCs WILL try and steal them. Magic items are crafted-to-order by powerful spellcasters. Maybe a couple of the lesser ones are there for display, but they are carefully warded and guarded, if not outright trapped.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-23, 09:21 PM
Nuh-uh. Magic items should not just be laying around in shops. If you have magic items on the shelves, PCs WILL try and steal them. Magic items are crafted-to-order by powerful spellcasters. Maybe a couple of the lesser ones are there for display, but they are carefully warded and guarded, if not outright trapped.

That's not what I was talking about...

I was saying... let's say they want an Elven Double-Bow, but you know that's broken. They insist that, since it exists in a book, they should have it. You inform them that it doesn't exist in that world. That kind of thing.

It's common sense to not have high-level magic items sitting around in magic shops.
Sorry if I was too vague, though.

kjones
2008-09-23, 10:49 PM
Let me give you some unsolicited, free (and therefore worthless) advice:

You will make mistakes. Learn from them. When I look back on the first games that I ran "back in the day", I can't help but laugh... but oh, the fun we had.

Try to make sure that everyone has a good time and gets along. The rules come second.

chevalier
2008-09-24, 03:50 PM
More free (worthless) advice:

Remember Rule 0: What the DM says overrides anything in the RAW.

If you make a mistake, just keep going and act like you intended it that way all along. The players probably won't notice. If they do, refer to Rule 0 or make it a houserule.

If you make a really BIG mistake, you can always "rewind".

SoD
2008-09-25, 01:04 AM
Good luck, buddy. I'm running a campaign where two of the guys don't get along.

Heh, one of them is playing a CE character so he can 'kill the Captains character if he annoys him'. In their first meeting, the Captains character knocked him unconcious for over 25 non leathal damage...at first level.