PDA

View Full Version : 4th Edition D&D Klingons

Grynning
2008-09-23, 08:50 PM
So I linked a pic of a Bat'leth to prove a point in another thread, and it got me thinking, man, Klingons would be fun to play in a D&D game. Not sure how the hell you would ever work them into an existing campaign, although I suppose you could set a D&D game entirely on ancient Qo'noS, which would be interesting.

Anyways, just for fun, 4th edition Klingons:

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: tlhIngan Hol (Klingon, in case you don't know)
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate
Brak'lul (Redundant Anatomy): You gain a +2 racial bonus to death saving throws.
Thirst for Glory: You gain a +2 racial bonus on Initiative checks and to saving throws against fear effects.
Warrior's Anthem: You may use Warrior's Anthem as an encounter power, below.

Warrior's Anthem
When your enemy raises his weapon against you or your allies, you hear the voice of Kahless urging you to victory. You snarl a challenge and lunge forward, meeting the attack head on. Your opponent is startled by your ferocity.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits you or an ally with an attack
Effect: You have combat advantage against the enemy who hit you or your ally until the end of your next turn.

Anyways, just something I wanted to share. Feel free to comment or make suggestions. tlhIngan maH!

Ascension
2008-09-23, 09:02 PM
So I linked a pic of a Bat'leth to prove a point in another thread, and it got me thinking, man, Klingons would be fun to play in a D&D game. Not sure how the hell you would ever work them into an existing campaign, although I suppose you could set a D&D game entirely on ancient Qo'noS, which would be interesting.

This thread would probably be better suited for Homebrew. I can't say much about the mechanics, not being 4E savvy, but let me just say that an Qo'noS-based D&D game would be awesome.

If/when some of my current PbP games have dried up, I'm going to look into putting one of those together.

Grynning
2008-09-23, 09:08 PM
Is there a way to move a thread you created? I kind of meant to put this in homebrew actually, I just started writing it here...

Anyways, they wouldn't be hard to do in 3.x either. Stat bonuses would be the same, Init bonus and saves against fear could stay...save against death doesn't work the same in 3.x but you could give them the Diehard feat for free and that would be about it. Also make the Bat'leth a martial weapon for them (use the stats for a double sword).

Colmarr
2008-09-23, 09:22 PM
My $0.02:

Languages: tlhIngan Hol (Klingon, in case you don't know)

Should this be "tlhIngan Hol plus one other" like the PHB races or are you intentionally making them unable to communicate?

Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate

I think +2 Endurance fits better than +2 Athletics. They strike me as being "tougher" rather than being better climbers, jumpers, and lifters. But I'm not a huge Klingon buff, so you're opinion might be closer to accurate.

Thirst for Glory: You gain a +2 racial bonus on Initiative checks and to saving throws against fear effects.

I don't see Klingons as naturally quick so I don't think the Initiative bonus fits thematically. I'm also not sure that it's something supported by another race. Are there other 4e races with an initiative bonus?

Warrior's Anthem
When your enemy raises his weapon against you or your allies, you hear the voice of Kahless urging you to victory. You snarl a challenge and lunge forward, meeting the attack head on. Your opponent is startled by your ferocity.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits you or an ally with an attack
Effect: You have combat advantage against the enemy who hit you or your ally until the end of your next turn.

I really like this one. It's fitting and doesn't strike me as at all over -or under- powered.

Colmarr
2008-09-23, 09:24 PM
Is there a way to move a thread you created? I kind of meant to put this in homebrew actually, I just started writing it here...

I think you need to PM a board moderator and ask them to move it.

Grynning
2008-09-23, 09:29 PM
You could add another language, but in Star Trek, everyone uses universal translators, so they don't have to learn other languages. If you were porting them to D&D, you could give them another language, but I was kind of thinking of them as existing in a vacuum from the other 4th ed. races.

I gave them an Athletics bonus because the Con bonus and the Death saving throw already adequately represent their toughness, and Endurance isn't a terribly important skill. However, Klingons are supposed to have a terrible medicinal system because they expect a warrior to conquer sickness on their own, so Endurance may be more appropriate, it's a tough call. The Intimidate should definitely stay though.

As for the Initiative bonus, I stole that straight from Hobgoblins, another proud warrior race, which also receive a +2. I also added the +2 against fear since Klingons are generally thought of as fearless. The Init bonus doesn't represent physical dexterity so much as an eagerness to rush into battle at any moment (hence the name).

KillianHawkeye
2008-09-23, 09:40 PM
And here I expected this to be a thread about Dragonborn, LOL. :smallamused:

Asbestos
2008-09-23, 10:41 PM
And here I expected this to be a thread about Dragonborn, LOL. :smallamused:

Nah, Hobgoblins. Always have been, always will be the D&D Klingon.

Ascension
2008-09-23, 10:44 PM
I'd change the stat adjustments to CON +2 WIS -2 for 3.5 in order to avoid LA.

Or maybe CHA -2.

Or maybe STR +2 CON+2 WIS -2 CHA -2.

Dunno. Some combination of the above.

RTGoodman
2008-09-24, 12:01 AM
One of my friends ran a d20 Modern or just regular 3.x Star Wars Trek game several years ago (before I met him, sadly), and I'll see if I can get in touch with him and see if he's still got the racial stats. I know he had basically all the races, and I KNOW he had to have Klingons.

amanamana
2008-09-24, 12:40 PM
You mean he used the star wars D20 to run a star trek game or you just mixed up the two universes and made a lot of fanboys to scream in horror?
:smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2008-09-24, 01:19 PM
You mean he used the star wars D20 to run a star trek game or you just mixed up the two universes and made a lot of fanboys to scream in horror?
:smallconfused:

Ach, no - I typed "Star Wars" when I meant "Star Trek." It's been edited.

FoE
2008-09-24, 01:36 PM
They are already have Klingons in 4E. They're called dragonborn. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProudWarriorRaceGuy) :smalltongue:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-24, 02:40 PM
They are already have Klingons in 4E. They're called dragonborn. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProudWarriorRaceGuy) :smalltongue:

But Klingons with a CHA bonus? :smallconfused:

Yeah, the Dragonborn do get the Proud Warrior Race Guy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProudWarriorRaceGuy) thing though.

The real question is: are Tieflings Space Jews (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceJews)? Discuss :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2008-09-24, 03:39 PM
The real question is: are Tieflings Space Jews (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceJews)? Discuss :smallbiggrin:

Of course not. Tieflings are from eastern Europe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo) Dwarves, on the other hand ... :smallwink:

Grynning
2008-09-24, 11:19 PM
umm...what?

I'm not sure what you meant by that, but there are a fair number of Jews from Eastern Europe.

Also, Dwarves are based (originally) on creatures from Scandinavian myth and have absorbed a lot of that culture, and really aren't negatively stereotyped in most D&D material. WoW Dwarves, on the other hand, are all Violent Glaswegians (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViolentGlaswegian).

Anyways, I'm not sure that this sidetrack is going in a positive direction, so let's get off of it.

Klingon Weaponry:

Bat'leth = Double Sword
Mek'leth (Worf's short blade) = Kukri
Duras's Sword (don't think they gave it a name) = Falchion
Dk'tagh = Dagger

Anything I'm leaving out (excluding high tech things like disruptors and pain sticks)?

FoE
2008-09-24, 11:51 PM
@V: Ah. Very well, then. Carry on, and let us never speak of the shortcut again. :smalltongue:

Grynning
2008-09-25, 12:08 AM
I have read TV Tropes extensively, I assure you, but it wasn't clear what you were trying to say.

Lert, A.
2008-09-25, 12:24 AM
I'd change the stat adjustments to CON +2 WIS -2 for 3.5 in order to avoid LA.

Or maybe CHA -2.

Or maybe STR +2 CON+2 WIS -2 CHA -2.

Dunno. Some combination of the above.

4th Ed.

Maybe add Klingon weapon proficiency (pick two)

+2 Endurance does fit better than Athletics

Ascension
2008-09-25, 07:35 AM
4th Ed.

Maybe add Klingon weapon proficiency (pick two)

+2 Endurance does fit better than Athletics

I read that. But he said that for 3.5 he'd leave the stat adjustments the same. I said that if I were doing a 3.5 version I'd change them. I admitted in my first post in this thread that I'm not 4E savvy.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 07:37 AM
I kept reading "Klingon" as "Kimono" and this topic was very confusing to me.

bosssmiley
2008-09-25, 08:17 AM
Nah, Hobgoblins. Always have been, always will be the D&D Klingon.

There is only one possible response to the above statement: "Qurplah!" :smallbiggrin: