PDA

View Full Version : Amazingly bitter...

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-23, 10:37 PM
I just read The Last Days of FOXHOUND. And the first thing to go through my mind was...THAT'S IT?!

The entire cast, who spent 500 pages endearing themselves to me, all die (except Ocelot), and the final panel is Big Boss chuckling to himself menacingly...and it ends?! How could the writer be so cruel?! GAH!

Okay, that's out of my system now.

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-23, 10:41 PM
Well, I think the authors did say that they would be using the cannon ending of the game. On the other hand, damn, that was a good kick to the emotional balls.

ninja_penguin
2008-09-23, 10:41 PM
Okay, just to quick check: You're aware that the Last Days of Foxhound is a parody of the Metal Gear Solid videogame, and that he followed the actual plot of the game with his own twists on it? It was pretty well known that everybody was going to get wasted.

Also, It's both Liquid and Big Boss posessing Ocelot at the end. A lot better reason then

the bloody nanomachine tomfoolery

that seems to be used to explain everything in MGS4.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-23, 10:55 PM
Yeah, it's sad. Sadder if you haven't played the game because you don't see it coming, but still sad if you have played it because it brings you back to all the speeches the FOXHOUND members gave as they died (look them up on youtube).

It would be nice if he made some kind of followup, like Last Days of Dead Cell, Last Days of the Cobras, etc., but after MGS1 the boss characters have less personality.

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-23, 10:55 PM
Okay, just to quick check: You're aware that the Last Days of Foxhound is a parody of the Metal Gear Solid videogame, and that he followed the actual plot of the game with his own twists on it? It was pretty well known that everybody was going to get wasted.

Also, It's both Liquid and Big Boss posessing Ocelot at the end. A lot better reason then

the bloody nanomachine tomfoolery

that seems to be used to explain everything in MGS4.

Yeah, I'm aware. And I saw it coming right from the start. Still, it hurts you know? Especially what happened to berthold.

ninja_penguin
2008-09-23, 11:13 PM
I suppose that it's probably more traumatic when you read it all at once. I dunno, it was just my standard neutral acceptance of what was going to happen because I knew about it in advance.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-23, 11:15 PM
Me? I laughed, and then I saluted their memory. Bastards they may have been, but they were soldiers too, dammit.

averagejoe
2008-09-23, 11:57 PM
Dude, spoiler? This was my first introduction to the comic...

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-24, 04:22 PM
Oh, well...since it follows the plot of MGS it's not that surprising when you think about it. Still, I'd recommend it if you're put off.

I guess I shouldn't complain since it gave them all some personality.

averagejoe
2008-09-24, 04:29 PM
Oh, well...since it follows the plot of MGS it's not that surprising when you think about it. Still, I'd recommend it if you're put off.

I guess I shouldn't complain since it gave them all some personality.

Ah. Well, I've never played MGS either, but I have been enjoying the comic. But, basically we knew that they were all going to die from the start, in theory?

(Liquid Snake just seemed too much like a joke, by the way.)

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-24, 04:31 PM
Ah. Well, I've never played MGS either, but I have been enjoying the comic. But, basically we knew that they were all going to die from the start, in theory?

Where are you(plot wise)? They give explanations for why he's that way, and he does become more impressive later on.

averagejoe
2008-09-24, 04:37 PM
Where are you(plot wise)? They give explanations for why he's that way, and he does become more impressive later on.

Nah, I've actually read most of it, I was commenting on the name "Liquid Snake" more than the character.

Turcano
2008-09-24, 04:56 PM

"So then where is Gas Snake? Plasma Snake? Bose-Einsteinium Condensate Snake?"
"Shut up! My name is cool!"

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-24, 04:58 PM
Nah, I've actually read most of it, I was commenting on the name "Liquid Snake" more than the character.

Ah. Well, its not any better than Solid Snake. Or Solidus Snake. Or, heaven help us, Naked Snake.

averagejoe
2008-09-24, 05:24 PM
Ah. Well, its not any better than Solid Snake. Or Solidus Snake. Or, heaven help us, Naked Snake.

Well, there's nothing too bad about Solid Snake by itself; however, when you give him a brother named "Liquid Snake" it starts to get excessively silly.

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-24, 09:41 PM

I figured as much considering the name of the comic in the first place. Heh.

I think that Kojima made their names like that on purpose actually. From what I hear he likes messing with gamers.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-25, 05:28 PM
@^: You heard right (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MGS2Ending).