PDA

View Full Version : What are ways to improve my Turning Check?

Frosty
2008-09-24, 01:53 AM
Higher Charisma obviously helps, as does that one crown that adds 3 to all your charisma checks. what else can I do to increase my Turning checks so I can get a 22 or better most of the time?

kenjigoku
2008-09-24, 01:59 AM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has a ring that improves turning checks.

Dode
2008-09-24, 02:01 AM
Glory Domain is another +4

Talic
2008-09-24, 02:02 AM
There's an amulet in the SRD that gives you +4 levels for turning checks, which is essentially the same as rolling a 22+.

Dode
2008-09-24, 02:02 AM
There's an amulet in the SRD that gives you +4 levels for turning checks, which is essentially the same as rolling a 22+.
I'm pretty sure Frosty is monkeying with Divine Spell Power.

Frosty
2008-09-24, 02:04 AM
Being in a Consecrated Area also gives a +3.

That amulet will not actually help me, because I want to roll a check of 22 or higher, not turn as if a cleric of 4 levels higher.

I just checked the Glory domain. It's only a +2 bonus as stated in the Spell Compendium. Wierd.

I'm pretty sure Frosty is monkeying with Divine Spell Power.

That is correct, although it also helps that this particular campaign may have lots of vampires to dust. I'm thinking Cleric6/RsoP1/Sacred Exorcist10/RsoP3.

Dode
2008-09-24, 02:14 AM
Talisman of Undead Mastery (MiC page 188) allows you to spend up to 3 charges/day to boost your undead turning check in increments of +2

jcsw
2008-09-24, 02:27 AM
Get a marshal cohort to motivate your charisma!

TheSerenity (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Serenity,Dragon) feat from Dragon Magazine makes your turning use wisdom instead of charisma, reducing the MAD so you can focus on boosting one stat.

only1doug
2008-09-24, 05:12 AM
5 ranks of Knowledge religion gives a +2 bonus on turning checks to turn undead (right at the bottom of the turn undead description on page 33 of PHB)
(something i never noticed until yesterday)

Hal
2008-09-24, 05:48 AM
Ephod of Authority (MIC) raises your cleric level by one when turning undead.

It's not much, but what do you expect for 800 gp?

namo
2008-09-24, 09:21 AM
1) Go to the Handy links (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=482636).
2) Search for "Turning"
3) ??? (ok, a hint: click on the link)
4) Profit.

Now, it is missing on the more recent books: Ephod of Authority from the MIC and Ring from EtCR as mentioned ; there are also spells in Complete Champion.

Frosty
2008-09-24, 10:02 AM
Ephod of Authority (MIC) raises your cleric level by one when turning undead.

It's not much, but what do you expect for 800 gp?

I'll need to check those out. Of course, if we use the Turning Check variant from UA, then some of this is moot, but...

Say, besides Holy Word, how many other cleric spells really benefit from having a high CL?

jcsw
2008-09-24, 10:19 AM
I'll need to check those out. Of course, if we use the Turning Check variant from UA, then some of this is moot, but...

Say, besides Holy Word, how many other cleric spells really benefit from having a high CL?

Twenty or so.

Ba-dum-diish.
---
Try Footsteps of the Divine, level 3, from Comp. Champion. It gives you either a new movement mode, or bonus speed, depending on your deity. But you can end the spell (the effects fade at the end of your turn) to gain +10ft speed PER ROUND REMAINING. It lasts 1round/CL.

Keld Denar
2008-09-24, 10:20 AM
Circlet of Persuasion, (Greater) Choaker of Eloquence, and Armor of Command add bonuses to cha based ability checks, and would thus apply to turn undead checks. Unfortunately, Circlet takes up your headband slot, which typically is devoted to Phylactery of Undead Turning, Choaker of Eloquence takes up your neck slot, which for clerics is a already filled with your Periept of Wisdom (or Amulet of Health, or both :smallwink:). Armor of Command is decent, but pretty expensive for the bonus. If you could get Sacred Armor of Command (A&EG + DMG), you'd get a +2 to your turn check and a +2 to your turn level. Using the ability score stacking rules in MIC, you could have a (Greater) Choaker of Eloquence of Wisdom, though, for no extra investment other than the base cost of the +wisdom. You are kind of out of luck for the Circlet though, since adding a non-stat ability to a magic item causes the more expensive one to cost 150% the base cost to tack on (DMG). That's an extra 5,500 for the Pylactery + XXXX for the Circlet, but might be worth it if you have Craft Wonderous Item.

If I was you, I'd take a looksie at your build. You are missing out of RSoP5 which gives a tastey bonus domain. Consider Cleric6/RSoP5/SE9. This still gets you your permanent Consecrate aura, albeit a little later, but RSoP is stronger mechanically than SE anyway.

As long as you are pimping out your turn check for DSP and turning, you might want to look into Complete Champion. The 2nd level spell there called Turn Anathema allows you to turn outsiders like undead. For a NG cleric, this means you can turn all evil outsiders. Unfortunately, you can't use Greater Turnings on them, but turning is still a no-save disable, and outsiders tend to scale in HD slower than undead anyway, so your chance to affect them is much higher. I have an 11th level cleric who can turn a Balors! Through the employment of either the Quickened Spell feat, or the Quickened Turning feat, or a Lesser MM Rod of Quicken, you can cast Turn Anathema AND turn in the same round, making it a combat ender as soon as you start.

EDIT: As for your question, Frosty, spells like GMW and Magic Vestaments benefit from higher CL if you aren't capped at 20 already. Greater Dispel Magic is great too, if you don't have it capped. If you really want to abuse GDM, check out the spell Battle Magic Perception from Heros of Battle. 120' radius spell sense, and you can end the spell early to counter a spell being cast provided you know the appropriate counter (GDM is ALWAYS an appropriate counter!). Since your CL is tweaked due to DSP (and I assume a +1 IWIN stone and possibly the Purification domain (+1 to all Abjurations), your odds of countering are good. Cap that off with a pair of Rings of Greater Counterspelling (DMGII) with GDM prepped in them, and you can stop the first 3 spells cast against your party per day, and a little downtime allows you to refill your rings and recast Battle Magic Perception. Rings of Greater Counterspelling are WAY better than regular Rings of Counterspelling, since you don't have to be the target, and with GDM in it, you can counter EVERYTHING, instead of just the spell you cast into it.

Other spells like Shield of Faith and Convicition, including the mass versions, have level dependant effects, and would recieve a significant boost from DSP, provided you aren't level capped on them too (level 18 for +5).

Frosty
2008-09-24, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, and also spells like Mass Spell Resistance. 12 + your CL SR right? Coolness.