PDA

View Full Version : I'm concerned about V for a different reason

aldeayeah
2008-09-24, 07:07 AM
S/He hasn't had his wounds cured.

And if V's still under the effect of Mass Bear's endurance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bearsEnduranceMass.htm) (see OOTS #585 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html)), s/he's going to lose at least 26hp when the effect ends.

Which might happen in any moment.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-24, 07:15 AM
V. dying would actually make a lot of sense. That would, among other things, allow her to meet Roy and start making the realizations that are needed to rez him, lose a level(the 'great sacrifice' mentioned by the Giant needed to retrieve Roy), and escape punishment by misguided paladins. It would work.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-24, 07:17 AM
V: Right, so now we can finally get on with the task at hand. I am SO damned tired of lousy sideplots like this. ... Did I just hit negative? That felt like I hit negati-

Nerdanel
2008-09-24, 07:44 AM
I don't think V is in that bad a shape. I can see two tiny scuffmarks on his robe which I think amount to maybe a handful of hitpoints each. I think we would see big scratches if V were seriously hurt.

Spiky
2008-09-24, 07:46 AM
How can you tell? Durkon can't even tell if he's hurt or not.

Niley
2008-09-24, 08:00 AM
V. dying would actually make a lot of sense. That would, among other things, allow her to meet Roy and start making the realizations that are needed to rez him, lose a level(the 'great sacrifice' mentioned by the Giant needed to retrieve Roy), and escape punishment by misguided paladins. It would work.

I agree, although I've never thought of this possibility before... Losing a level IS actually an ultimate sacrifice for a character. Just when everyone thought about a member of the OotS dying, you come up with this idea, and... Well, it seems very, very likely!

Lunaya
2008-09-24, 08:05 AM
I don't think V is in that bad a shape. I can see two tiny scuffmarks on his robe which I think amount to maybe a handful of hitpoints each. I think we would see big scratches if V were seriously hurt.
Actually, I think those scuffmarks have been there as long as V's mussed hair. Just another sign of hir not caring too much about hir appearance.

Still, I hadn't thought of what might happen once Durkon's buff wears off. :smalleek: We'll just have to hope for the best.

Llaqus
2008-09-24, 08:21 AM
nevermind.

Belkster11
2008-09-24, 08:30 AM
V wasn't hit with Mass Bear's Claw. Durkon was powering his mace/hammer. See the aura around it?

At least that's what I assume it is, and that wasn't the answer to Lein's question.

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-24, 08:33 AM

Except he can't meet Roy, because he's not LG.

Nerdanel
2008-09-24, 08:41 AM
Actually, I think those scuffmarks have been there as long as V's mussed hair. Just another sign of hir not caring too much about hir appearance.

Then it's possible that V is at full hitpoints despite everything.

Liches have damage reduction, you see, although I would have thought a pit fiend would have managed to do more than 15 points of damage at once. And I suppose the health of undead creatures could be hard for Durkon to judge.

Belkster11
2008-09-24, 08:43 AM
Are we forgetting that the last time we met Roy, he was hanging around with his dad in the clouds that I forgot the name of? (Y'know, the clouds where one has to be questioned to determine where you'd go in the afterlife).

I'm probably taking Eugene's "Everyone that dies are questioned here on this cloud..." too literally, but if V was a Northerner, then that means if he died, he'll appear on the clouds with Roy and Eugene.

But then again, V's an elf, so who knows.

But why doesn't Roy try to ghost himself down to where V, Durkon and Elan are?

Doopliss
2008-09-24, 09:46 AM
Liches have damage reduction, you see, although I would have thought a pit fiend would have managed to do more than 15 points of damage at once. And I suppose the health of undead creatures could be hard for Durkon to judge.

If V was already using Illusions to keep his voice bubble white, why doesn't she make himself look like she got a few hours' trance in so Durkon would leave him alone?

lord of kobolds
2008-09-24, 10:59 AM
Are we forgetting that the last time we met Roy, he was hanging around with his dad in the clouds that I forgot the name of? (Y'know, the clouds where one has to be questioned to determine where you'd go in the afterlife).

I'm probably taking Eugene's "Everyone that dies are questioned here on this cloud..." too literally, but if V was a Northerner, then that means if he died, he'll appear on the clouds with Roy and Eugene.

But then again, V's an elf, so who knows.

But why doesn't Roy try to ghost himself down to where V, Durkon and Elan are?

He could, but he wouldn't be noticed. If people who are hanging around his corpse can't hear him, what chance would anyone else, except perhaps Julia, have?

Shpadoinkle
2008-09-24, 11:08 AM
(Mass) Bear's Endurance wears off after a few minutes. It's probably been at LEAST half an hour since Durkon cast it, and I don't think Durkon's epic just yet.

Kaytara
2008-09-24, 11:18 AM
(Mass) Bear's Endurance wears off after a few minutes. It's probably been at LEAST half an hour since Durkon cast it, and I don't think Durkon's epic just yet.

The events on the boat obviously run parallel to what is happening on the island. There's no way those 3-4 strips of dialogue took half an hour.The spell could indeed wear off any minute.

In fact, it seems rather likely. V going wobbly and collapsing would make sense both to the DnD savvy readers - the spell finally wore off - and the none-savvy readers - the stress and injuries finally caught up with him.

And don't forget that we still have a loose ninja there somewhere...

FujinAkari
2008-09-24, 11:45 AM

No, but that doesn't matter. That is where -good- characters go to be Judged. V is Neutral.

Chronos
2008-09-24, 11:52 AM
V wasn't hit with Mass Bear's Claw. Durkon was powering his mace/hammer. See the aura around it?

At least that's what I assume it is, and that wasn't the answer to Lein's question.Mass Bear's Endurance is a spell that increases the Con scores (and hence HP, some saving throws, and a few other benefits) for multiple targets. At Durkon's level, he can affect over a dozen people with it, so it's safe to assume that he's targetting everyone on his side within range. Unlike most other means of increasing HP, a temporary increase to Con can leave you dead or dying after it wears off, if you taken more damage than your normal maximum HP in the meanwhile.

aldeayeah
2008-09-24, 01:06 PM
Another interesting detail is that Elan has spent 3 potions in the last ~10 strips. Maybe that's just a coincidence. But if something happens to V and Elan runs out of bevvies, that's SO going to haunt him...