PDA

View Full Version : Assistance building a character

Triaxx
2008-09-24, 08:29 AM
So I'll be playing a campaign in a month or so, using this class:Cavalier Base Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34357)

I've already got DM approval, and rolled these stats:

We're starting at level four, and I've already been informed it'll be a mix of underground and overworld fighting, so I don't want to focus too much on one or the other. I'm leaning towards human, but I'm open to suggestions.

My equipment list, so far anyway:

Full Plate
Light Steel Shield
Heavy Warhorse
Scimitar
Lance
Military Saddle
Saddlebags
Explorer's Outfit
1954gp

Which leaves me some cash for magic items.

And as far as I know there are no banned books.

Unrelated question: The SRD states that weapons not primarily of metal cannot be Adamantine or other materials, but it lists ammunition. Are adamantine sling bullets possible?

JeminiZero
2008-09-24, 08:57 AM
Since there is actually a price listing for sling bullets (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sling_Bullets) made of adamantium, I would say yes.

Kaihaku
2008-09-24, 08:59 AM
Why would you want adamantine sling bullets? There aren't that many...

I'd say yes. Sling bullets can be made of metal. I think arrows are another story by the rules...though, really, they use metal in real life for arrows so...

Medic
2008-09-24, 09:01 AM
"mix of underground and overworld fighting"

This screams Gnome and tunnel fighting that way you can use your mount underground.

Eldariel
2008-09-24, 09:05 AM
I'd consider a Halfling of any variety simply to fit in Dungeons. Unfortunately, Horses are Large and thus simply don't fit in most underground locales, so unless your DM specifically convinces you there will be a chance to stay mounted underground, I'd consider a smaller race - not fitting around sucks (although I recall there are feats around this - allowing you and your mount to squeeze without penalties).

Anyways, you'll obviously want the Mounted Combat-feats not included in Cavalier - Spirited Charge and perhaps Trample. Also, I found the feat, it's called "Tunnel Riding" from Races of Stone and requires Tunnel Fighting. It would be fairly awesome for you - most of your class abilities are related to using a mount anyways so being denied that makes you a spiffed up Warrior.

I'd pick up Power Attack too - when off the horse, you'll probably want to dual wield a Morningstar (á la the actual Knights of the past), Greatsword or similar. Shield is very handy on a horseback as you can use Lance one-handed, but off the horse, two-handed Power Attacking is the way to go.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-24, 09:19 AM
So I'll be playing a campaign in a month or so, using this class:Cavalier Base Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34357)

I've already got DM approval, and rolled these stats:

We're starting at level four, and I've already been informed it'll be a mix of underground and overworld fighting, so I don't want to focus too much on one or the other. I'm leaning towards human, but I'm open to suggestions.

My equipment list, so far anyway:

Full Plate
Light Steel Shield
Heavy Warhorse
Scimitar
Lance
Military Saddle
Saddlebags
Explorer's Outfit
1954gp

Which leaves me some cash for magic items.

And as far as I know there are no banned books.

Unrelated question: The SRD states that weapons not primarily of metal cannot be Adamantine or other materials, but it lists ammunition. Are adamantine sling bullets possible?

If you are getting slings, wouldn't a halfing work best?

You can get as Riding Dog (meduim) if you are small.
Then, you can fit in almost any dungeon while riding.

Triaxx
2008-09-24, 02:09 PM
The sling question is because those rare occasions I've used one, stones were the ammo of choice.

Arrows get in under the fact that only the head is doing damage, though this shouldn't then preclude Scythes. *shrug* I was just curious.

---

I think I'll go human and fight on foot. The extra feat is worth it. So I'll pickup Ride-by and Spirited Charge, which leaves me with two to go. Power Attack is always a worthwhile choice.

Epinephrine
2008-09-24, 02:47 PM
The sling question is because those rare occasions I've used one, stones were the ammo of choice.

Arrows get in under the fact that only the head is doing damage, though this shouldn't then preclude Scythes. *shrug* I was just curious.

---

I think I'll go human and fight on foot. The extra feat is worth it. So I'll pickup Ride-by and Spirited Charge, which leaves me with two to go. Power Attack is always a worthwhile choice.

Someone in one of our games is playing a short human. She claims to have fey blood, but she might just have dwarfism of some sort. Basically wanted a small size human, and we figured it isn't exactly overpowered.

Prometheus
2008-09-24, 03:33 PM
If you went with Halfling you could always take some Halfling Outrider levels. I don't have the book in front of me so I forget how good it is.

Eldariel
2008-09-24, 03:48 PM
While it's setting specific, Strongheart Halfling could get you small size and bonus feat. The only real option though.

Triaxx
2008-09-25, 04:46 AM
My real problem with Halflings is the loss of strength for my Lance. That said I could see an Outrider mounted on a spider with a bow shooting from the walls.

+1 to hit, and +1 to AC? (WoTC would give out +3 LA :smallbiggrin:) Nah, not too overpowered.

Rad
2008-09-25, 04:56 AM
My real problem with Halflings is the loss of strength for my Lance. That said I could see an Outrider mounted on a spider with a bow shooting from the walls.

+1 to hit, and +1 to AC? (WoTC would give out +3 LA :smallbiggrin:) Nah, not too overpowered.

I thought mounted combat worked by charging the foe every turn (thanks to the feat who lets you continue your movement) and then you'd use the horse Str in place of yours.

Triaxx
2008-09-25, 05:31 AM
I'm playing it as Heavy Cavalry. Which means I charge at the biggest guy with my triple damage lance, and then use my sword to beat a path back out. Or overrun for another charge attempt. If I were going light cavalry, I'd be using Mounted Archery and Ride-by to shoot at them as I charged past.

BobVosh
2008-09-25, 06:11 AM
From human to SH halfling you lose:
1-2 dmg (depending on your previous strength)
Skill points (3+CL)

You gain:
+1 AC
+4 hide
Small Size (fit in dungeons while mounted)
Qualification for Halfling Outrider

I think that is worth it.

Also wild plains outrunner is a good class for mounted archery I believe.

I'm playing it as Heavy Cavalry. Which means I charge at the biggest guy with my triple damage lance, and then use my sword to beat a path back out. Or overrun for another charge attempt. If I were going light cavalry, I'd be using Mounted Archery and Ride-by to shoot at them as I charged past.

Why not spirited Charge+Rideby for 4x damage, and repeat next round?

Adumbration
2008-09-25, 06:13 AM
You might also want to consider the Wardog from Heroes of Battle as a mount, if you take the path of the halfling.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 06:34 AM
You might also want to consider the Wardog from Heroes of Battle as a mount, if you take the path of the halfling.A Fleshraker, any number of Dragons, quite a few Devils, and quite a few others can be broken to the saddle through a combination of skill checks and abuse of Planar Binding. Why ride a vicious dog when you can ride a fire-breathing guard beast ripped out of the bowls of hell and magically bound to bear you into combat and rip the throats out of the Devils that were it's former allies and masters? Teach them to call you short. :smallbiggrin:

In other news, I think this board needs a devil-horns smirking smiley.

BobVosh
2008-09-25, 08:54 AM
A Fleshraker, any number of Dragons, quite a few Devils, and quite a few others can be broken to the saddle through a combination of skill checks and abuse of Planar Binding. Why ride a vicious dog when you can ride a fire-breathing guard beast ripped out of the bowls of hell and magically bound to bear you into combat and rip the throats out of the Devils that were it's former allies and masters? Teach them to call you short. :smallbiggrin:

In other news, I think this board needs a devil-horns smirking smiley.

Fleshraker is too eberron for my tastes, I hate dragons and "fire-breathing guard beast" sounds too close. Plus probably >medium. Also what happens when its magical binding wears out in the night? Coup de'grace ftl.

Fostire
2008-09-25, 10:25 AM
Fleshraker is too eberron for my tastes, I hate dragons and "fire-breathing guard beast" sounds too close. Plus probably >medium. Also what happens when its magical binding wears out in the night? Coup de'grace ftl.

the fleshraker is a dinosaur from mm3 and doesn't have any firebreathing or require any bounding (just taming), I think the "fire-breathing guard beast" was referring to the bound demon

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 12:19 PM
Fleshraker is too eberron for my tastes, I hate dragons and "fire-breathing guard beast" sounds too close. Plus probably >medium. Also what happens when its magical binding wears out in the night? Coup de'grace ftl.Hell Hound is core and medium, and a properly worded Planar Binding should last for as long as you need it to.

Triaxx
2008-09-25, 08:28 PM
I see your point. I'm avoiding Archery on purpose though. Outrider would also require I take a level in tracking.

Because the class I'm using doesn't get that ability until 13. I think I'll go with the Strongheart Halfling, and if it doesn't work out, I'll die and get reincarnated until I get Human. :smallbiggrin:

I'll probably pick up a flying mount later on. I think the DM would kill me if I asked for a Dragon, so I'll see about a Wyvern.

So, going Strongheart and laying out the stats like so:

STR 16 (18)
DEX 15 (13)
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 14

I can snag Spirited Charge, Ride-By, Power Attack, which leaves me one feat free.

I know I'll be putting Max Ranks in Handle Animal and Ride, and reserve the rest until I see what the DM has planned for the world.

Is it better to use the Lance one-handed with a shield? Or Two handed for the Strength Bonus?

I qualify for Improved Smiting or Extra Smiting, but I don't know if those are any use. Thoughts on my last feat?

ocato
2008-09-25, 08:51 PM
While I'm often alone in this belief, I would call a "I'm fresh of out feat ideas" situation on a big multiplier setup a weapon focus time. +1 with a lance. Whoop-de-crap. But take away that one with power attack, apply lance/spirited charge whatever other crap (someone mentioned x4 damage I think) and that +1 is +8 damage. -1 attack = +2 damage x4 is 8. Uber optimal? Probably not, but an extra +1 isn't going to hurt either. If absolutely nothing else seems remotely usable at all...ever... maybe possibly consider it.

Triaxx
2008-09-26, 09:58 AM
Good Point. Plus I can pick up Power Critical later on for confirming my newly keen lance.

Do I need small size weapons for this character? I don't usually play with Halflings.

ocato
2008-09-26, 03:30 PM
Yeah, but dropping from a d8 to a d6 isn't a huge issue.