PDA

View Full Version : Character of strange race help needed

togapika
2008-09-24, 11:39 AM
The homebrew race I will be playing is called the vaught the info I have about it is this.
+4 LA
+6 Con
Immunity to fear
Regeneration 5
Medium Size
Darkvision 60 ft

The DM specifically stated that "there's more stuff, but I'm not going to tell you it" as well as "That's all you need to keep track of"

I was thinking of playing a knight but considering the party is full of full manifesters, I would be hard pressed to keep up with them.

Specifics you need to know:
It's a purely Psionic campaign (No magic)
Tob, Incarnum, or any other type of almost casting is not allowed
We have a VOP monk, Kinetecist/Psychic Churgeon, Telepath/Pattern Master, Psionic Artificer, and some wierd guy based on dreams

AstralFire
2008-09-24, 11:41 AM
Unless the entire party has this race or the stuff you don't know about is super-awesome-amazing, playing this guy is gonna suck, mechanically.

What level are you starting at?

togapika
2008-09-24, 11:43 AM
My character will come in at level 13 (13-4=9)

Eldariel
2008-09-24, 11:48 AM
Will the rest of the party be using that race, or are you the only one? LA+4 is really hard to deal with at any rate - good luck. But yea, a warrior class is really the way to go. Psychic Warrior isn't a horrible idea either, although I could definitely see Knight too. You'll want to ask if your DM would allow Practiced Manifester to include your ML up to your LAd HD - that would make Ardent an excellent choice and improve Psychic Warrior a ton too.

togapika
2008-09-24, 11:51 AM
The psionic artificer is a psiforged
The Kinetecist is a Blue with no LA
The Pattern Master is a duergar
The Monk is human
The last guy I have no idea

I don't have to play this race, I am simply deciding to do so because the mystery intrigues me.

Also I don't know what my regeneration is bested by and the DM won't tell me.

Keld Denar
2008-09-24, 11:51 AM
Do you have Dragon Magic? With that massive boost to CON, you'd make a decent Dragonfire Adept. Its an invocation based class similar to a warlock, and therefore almost exclusively supernatural rather than magical. DFA's have an at will breath weapon who's DC is based on CON. Take the Entangling Exhalation feat (almost a no brainer for DFAs) and you become an awesome controller, with the ability to hobble foes while doing moderate damage. At about your level range, you can have Flight all day, which, along with Flyby Attack and your breath weapon, will make you useful for controlling foes without much worry of retaliation.

Just a though.

AstralFire
2008-09-24, 11:53 AM
Do you have Dragon Magic? With that massive boost to CON, you'd make a decent Dragonfire Adept. Its an invocation based class similar to a warlock, and therefore almost exclusively supernatural rather than magical. DFA's have an at will breath weapon who's DC is based on CON. Take the Entangling Exhalation feat (almost a no brainer for DFAs) and you become an awesome controller, with the ability to hobble foes while doing moderate damage. At about your level range, you can have Flight all day, which, along with Flyby Attack and your breath weapon, will make you useful for controlling foes without much worry of retaliation.

Just a though.

I'd be willing to bet money that Dragon Magic is banned since it's an "almost caster." (If ToB gets hit, then yeah.)

The psionic artificer is a psiforged
The Kinetecist is a Blue with no LA
The Pattern Master is a duergar
The Monk is human
The last guy I have no idea

You're either about to get royally screwed or be teacher's pet.

Chronos
2008-09-24, 12:06 PM
This sounds to me like a case of the DM saying "I want to play an awesome character to lord over everyone, but I can't do it unless I'm the one making the rules to make it allowed. Here, hold this character sheet and sit there eating Cheetos while I play this character I write up for you.".

Of course, you know your DM better than we do, and if you trust him with this, go ahead. But I wouldn't.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-24, 01:38 PM
+6 Con and Regeneration 5? Yeah, you're the Designated Tank, which means Knight would be best.

togapika
2008-09-24, 02:34 PM
I figure I can mostly trust him, so I guess I'll just need to find a really good knight build. Anyone got one that's not race specific?

Frosty
2008-09-24, 02:38 PM
Is your race Medium or Large size? Large size means good things for you.

Eldariel
2008-09-24, 02:46 PM
Frosty:
Medium Size

And yea, even with the lost HD, you may make a decent tank. You'll need help hitting things though. Also, Con to AC or similar would be pretty nice (Fist of the Forests?).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Psychic Warrior may be better. It allows you to use natural weapons and first of all, that means you don't need to rely on BAB for iteratives, making life much easier. Second, Psy War is a frontliner so you should be able to reap the benefits for +6 Con. Third, Psionics may offer some protection from the annoying effects that would otherwise end your life (like Blasphemy-line). Fourth, you can make attack bonuses for yourself so you may have a chance of hitting things.

sonofzeal
2008-09-24, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Psi-war all the way. You could dip Knight at 1st level for an extra four HP, and get a few other goodies that way, but PsiWar->Warmind is probably your best bet.

togapika
2008-09-24, 03:07 PM
Even though warmind has it's own psi progression?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-24, 03:29 PM
The DM specifically stated that "there's more stuff, but I'm not going to tell you it" as well as "That's all you need to keep track of"

Warning. This is DM code for "bend over and lube up." Dollars to dimes the "more stuff" will come back to screw you.

sonofzeal
2008-09-24, 03:32 PM
Even though warmind has it's own psi progression?
You'll basically need a bit of PsiWar to qualify for Warmind, but that reduces the cost of knight dips. If you can get an Int of 14, you can qualify with Knight3/PsiWar2. You can substitute just about anything for Knight and still make the requirements though, so have fun and go for what fits best.

So... LA4/???3/PsiWar2/Warmind4. That's a pretty solid character right there, and those initial three levels will only make it better. Barbarian1/Fighter2 would be a terrifying combination there, netting you rage, fast movement (or pounce), and more feats than you know what to do with. Grab Deep Impact and Power Attack, and you'll be an absolute terror.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-24, 07:01 PM
Any chance of the DM allowing LA buyoff?

togapika
2008-09-25, 12:06 AM
I honestly don't know. It would be useful if you felt like offering advice for both situations.

sonofzeal
2008-09-25, 01:37 AM
LA+4 is too high to buy off effectively, you're more or less stuck with it unless you're expecting to end up epic.

togapika
2008-09-25, 02:37 PM
As far as I know he expects the campaign to resolve at around level 24

Glyde
2008-09-25, 02:41 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59097&highlight=Unstoppable+Force

BOOMBOOMBOOM

togapika
2008-10-04, 01:39 PM
More info I discovered in-game is that the vaut don't have power resistance, but some sort of selective resistance to psionics or summat
I'm attempting to use In-Game NPC's to find out more info. The vaut were originally created in a laboratory as an experiment or something. There's about 30 currently, but they seem to breed other vaut when they procreate.