PDA

View Full Version : Myawrr? ...4E Races [PEACH], Please!

Mando Knight
2008-09-24, 05:55 PM
I've been toying around with the mechanics of a catfolk-like race for 4E, to be implemented as a race in a custom campaign. I ended up with two subraces...

Felinian

Average Height: 5'3"-5'11"
Average Weight: 120-160 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Cat, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Perception
Natural Weapons: A Felinian has claws on each of her hands and feet, as described below. A Felinian may treat the claws as 1-handed daggers for the purpose of class features.
Cat-like Agility: You may ignore movement penalties from difficult terrain while shifting.
Leaping Strike: Once per encounter, a Felinian may use the Leaping Strike racial power.

Leaping Strike Felinian Racial Power
You leap towards your opponent, claws extended, intent on tearing him to shreds.
Encounter
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding two weapons.
Target: One creature
Special: You may move up to your speed before attacking.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC (main-hand weapon and off-hand weapon), two attacks
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage per attack. If both attacks hit, deal extra damage equal to your Strength modifier.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage per attack at level 21.

Pantheran

Average Height: 6'3"-6'7"
Average Weight: 200-250 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Cat, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate
Natural Weapons: A Pantheran has claws on each of his hands and feet, as described below.
Finishing Blow: A Pantheran gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls against bloodied enemies.
Killing Swipe: Once per encounter, a Pantheran may use the Killing Swipe racial power

Killing Swipe Pantheran Racial Power
Intent on the kill, you deliver a vicious blow to your foe.
Encounter
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage. If the target is bloodied, deal additional damage equal to your Constitution modifier.
Increase damage to 3[W] + Strength modifier damage at level 11, and to 4[W] + Strength modifier damage at level 21.

Natural Weapons:
{table=head]Weapon|Prof.|Damage|Group
Felinian Claw|+3|d4|Light Blade, Unarmed
Pantheran Claw|+3|d6|Heavy Blade, Unarmed[/table]

The claws may be enchanted as a pair (both hands), and take up the hand magic item slot. The character may not use her claws if she is holding something in the hand she is using to attack with, and attacking with a claw counts as holding a weapon in that hand (for Swordmage Warding or Ranger powers, for example). At the DM's discretion, the player may also use the claws on the feet as weapons, and if they are enchanted, they take up the foot magic item slot.

Feats:
Heroic:

Stealth of the Cats:
Prerequisite: Felinian or Pantheran
Benefit: Gain a +2 feat bonus to Stealth and Acrobatics.

Nocturnal Instincts:
Prerequisite: Felinian or Pantheran
Benefit: Gain Darkvision.

Paragon:

Felinian Claw Skill
Prerequisites: Felinian, Strength 15, Dex 17
Increase the damage dice from your natural weapons to d8s.

Pantheran Claw Power
Prerequisites: Pantheran, Strength 17, Dex 15
Increase the damage dice from your natural weapons to d10s.

Physical Description:

Felinians and Pantherans are both humanoids with distinctly cat-like features. They both have tails, muzzle-like faces, large ears on the tops of their heads, and a full coat of fur covering their bodies. Both grow long hair on their heads like elves, though some cut it shorter to match the rest of their fur.

The Felinian is smaller and more agile. Their fur tends to be a solid shade of gray, brown, tan, or black with a lighter streak running from the base of their tails up their front to their noses, though other patterns and colors are by no means uncommon, running from calico patches to tiger stripes to everything in between. Their eyes are most commonly shades of yellow or green.

Pantherans are tall, about as large as Dragonborn and almost as heavy. They usually have a coat of rusty-red and black tiger stripes with a white belly or a solid tan coat. Some others have leopard-like spots or white and black tiger stripes. In addition to their fur, some Pantheran males grow a lion-like mane across their neck and lower jaw. Their eyes tend to be shades of golden-brown.

Both subraces can mate freely with each other and most of the other humanoid races, usually humans and elves. When they mate with a "hairless" humanoid like the humans, the child may have any combination of the parents' physical traits. Sometimes a few of these traits may suddenly appear after several generations. For example, the child of a quarter-Felinian and a full human may have the tail and ears of a Felinan despite the "watered-down" bloodline.

Both Felinians and Pantherans have comparable life spans to Dragonborn, maturing faster than humans but living about as long.

Pantherans generally become Fighters or two-weapon Rangers, though some choose the path of a Paladin or Warlord. Felinians usually become Rogues or Rangers, with a few becoming clerics, usually of nature deities.

Shades of Gray
2008-10-23, 07:17 PM
Felinians moving through terrain perfectly is a bit too powerful, consider making them able to shift through terrain, similar to elves?

Mando Knight
2008-10-23, 09:13 PM
That's true... I'll change it.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-06, 03:11 PM
I've not got any experience with the 4th Edition, but both of these races sound neat. Assuming the claws aren't already enchanted can they use footclaws as weapons while wearing sandals, or do they need to be barefoot? (I'm assuming that closed-toe footwear stops them from using the footclaws, right?)

Athaniar
2009-01-06, 03:31 PM
Sounds good, mechanics are cat-like enough. Any specific fluff?

Mando Knight
2009-01-06, 03:51 PM
Assuming the claws aren't already enchanted can they use footclaws as weapons while wearing sandals, or do they need to be barefoot? (I'm assuming that closed-toe footwear stops them from using the footclaws, right?)

It's been a while since I made the race, so I've mostly forgotten what I intended. :smallsigh:

If they don't have enchanted foot-claws, then they probably won't be attacking with them after gaining enchanted footwear...

...however, their footgear probably takes a pointer from (4E) Dragonborn footwear, and leaves the feet open to the air anyway...

If I were the DM allowing this race in a game, then I'd rule that a member of one of these races wears such footgear and could attack with the feet regardless of the type of footgear they're wearing.

The only fluff I can recall is the stuff written down on the OP, *facepalms at self* but for now, take a look at your cat, and apply its personality to your PC...

...I need to get back to writing up that setting... :smallsigh:

Darth Stabber
2009-01-06, 04:45 PM
Depending on the fluff your pulling from, you might change the the felinian stat bumps to +2 dex, +2 cha, (as much as I hate how powerfull cha has gotten lately). Most people see cats would be more inclined see cats as cute possibly to the point of narcasistic, as opposed to particulary wise.

My 2cp

Lappy9000
2009-01-06, 04:50 PM
(as much as I hate how powerfull cha has gotten lately)

....but your avatar's a bard.....?

Darth Stabber
2009-01-06, 05:27 PM
....but your avatar's a bard.....?
No I'm a multiclass fight/rogue/sorcerer who specializes in enchantment spells
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-06, 05:33 PM
No I'm a multiclass fight/rogue/sorcerer who specializes in enchantment spells
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

Rogues and Sorcerers, you may have noticed, appreciate Charisma as well :smallamused:.

Erk
2009-01-06, 07:41 PM
Great scott, your felinian is quite similar to the Erraow I designed for a friend this morning. I guess the fact that we're on similar wavelengths suggests the design is sound. I gave my Erraow Acrobatics as a racial bonus and Perception as gained from a feat, but I set up my feats etc. very similar to how you did.

Looks pretty good. I can't critique much, as I just finished designing something so similar.