PDA

View Full Version : A few new media-inspired wondrous items

Icewalker
2008-09-25, 12:17 AM
Inspiration: Caprica Six, Battlestar Galactica:
http://pics.livejournal.com/own_the_sky/pic/0004xbrs

Mirrorshard Bracelet
This bracelet looks like it has been strung together from fragments of mirror. Every day it can reflect 15 spell levels worth of spells back at the caster, exactly as the Spell Turning spell.

Price: 96,000 gp

Mirrorshard Ring
This ring is similar to the mirrorshard bracelet, a large triangle of broken mirror fitted onto a silver band. Every day it can reflect 7 spell levels worth of spells back at the caster, exactly as the Spell Turning spell.

Price: 52,800 gp

Inspiration: Ms. Meers' ring from the movie Thoroughly Modern Millie.
http://www.darknessstudios.com/images/R96a.jpg
(Not from the movie, but a good picture for this)

Ring of Evil Trinkets
This ring has a huge black gem on top which can be flipped open to reveal a small chamber. Whenever the wearer opens this chamber, it has inside it whatever devious item the owner wishes, as long as it's general and intended use is of an evil purpose. Some good examples of things to be produced from the ring include poisoned darts or drugs and poisons of all sorts. The item must be small enough to fit inside the ring, and cannot be of magical nature. The ring can be opened to produce something five times per day.

Anything produced from the ring dissolves into staining black powder after 24 hours.

Price: 10,000 gp

[hr]
Thought of the mirrorshard items watching BSG a little while ago, and I just watched Thoroughly Modern Millie tonight and had to stat up that ring. Not sure what the price on it should be, and I'm not sure how accurate the prices on the mirrorshard items are...

(I based them off the reflecting armor enhancement: reflects one spell regardless of level, +5 bonus. +5 armor costs 25,000 gp.)

I also feel like these entries are incomplete. I haven't done items in a long time, what am I missing? (Other than the creation numbers, I just don't know those well enough to write them up)

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 06:56 AM
Well, the pricing does need a bit of work.

The Reflecting enhancement for shields is possibly slightly overpriced, but it gets overcrowded mostly because Fortification is a higher priority oftentimes. Since Reflection can effectively move 9 Spell Levels back while Mirrorshard Bracelet gets 1.5x that, the price should be at -least- 50% higher, and you can't really figure out a true GP price for most armor and weapon abilities like that since those have some very high opportunity costs. (Got Spell Reflecting? Well, you're not putting max Fort on that piece of armor.)

Then you also realize that it's essentially got a 24 hour duration version of Spell Turning since the levels can be split up, while the shield's can't.

So, using the normal wondrous item rules for a continuous item:
2000 GP x CL x Spell Level - we'll bump the level up to 8 instead of 9 for Empower.
2000 x 15 x 8 = 240,000 GP

Now, that's definitely too expensive. Since it's a long duration anyway, let's consider it to have two charges per day; not actually, but your chances of being dispelled more than once a day are pretty low, so that should cover its effective usefulness.

240,000x2/5 = 96,000.

The ring is actually minimized, so let's drop it down a spell level. It would be: 800x11x6 = 52,800.

Ring of Evil Trinkets has to be an artifact unless it gets a GP limit. Note as well that the item must fit in the ring.

Icewalker
2008-09-25, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the help with the pricing.

As to the ring, sure it'd be an artifact? I need to add that it can't be magical (and that it must fit in the ring, yeah). I suppose drawing things out of it indefinitely may be a bit much...maybe it can be opened to create something 5 times per day?

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the help with the pricing.

As to the ring, sure it'd be an artifact? I need to add that it can't be magical (and that it must fit in the ring, yeah). I suppose drawing things out of it indefinitely may be a bit much...maybe it can be opened to create something 5 times per day?

If they can't be magical and must fit, then it doesn't have to be an artifact and it can be fine. More importantly, limit the GP value - no more than 1k GP worth of stuff a day or something, and the items produced break apart into a filmy residue after a day. Off hand I'd say 10k GP since there's not a lot of mundane stuff usable.