PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good Weapon Enchantments for Siege Weapons?

jcsw
2008-09-25, 03:38 AM
Heroes of Battle has good rules for Siege Weapons

1. They can have any weapon enchantment that can be applied to ranged weapons, plus those in the book specially made for them.

2. The enchantments cost the same as those for normal weapons. Heheh.

So that said, I have a budget for one more +1 bonus... what are some good +1 enchantments for them?

Charity
2008-09-25, 04:23 AM
Don't adamantine weapons bypass hardness? In fact ammo costs are cheap, so just go with addy ammo and watch your missiles make swiss cheese of the castle... employ some (burly) ball boys to stand round the other side retrieving the ammo... better still fire at both sides and play trebuchet tennis.

Hal
2008-09-25, 04:27 AM
Aw, just +1? I'd have said a Brilliant weapon. How funny would it be to launch missiles at an enemy castle . . . only to watch it fly through the walls and pulverize the guys on the inside.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 04:39 AM
Aw, just +1? I'd have said a Brilliant weapon. How funny would it be to launch missiles at an enemy castle . . . only to watch it fly through the walls and pulverize the guys on the inside.Hold off on buying that until you also have a Trebuchet. Just for the lulz. I'd say buy something like Merciful, Mighty Cleaving, or the like. Don't go for enhancements that make you more likely to hit or deal more damage, go with the interesting ones.

jcsw
2008-09-25, 04:44 AM
Ahem. I have budget for SIX more +1s, for six (Large Mangonel) catapaults. And some commoners/warriors/mooks to man them.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-25, 04:58 AM
A Light spell put on a rock on a parachute would make a dandy flare for night time battles. Hmmm, how about a reversed enlarged (reduced) boulders? I don't mean boulders the size of pebbles, I mean hills the size of boulders. You could only have a few of these, but it would be basically a one hit kill siege weapon.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 05:05 AM
Ahem. I have budget for SIX more +1s, for six (Large Mangonel) catapaults. And some commoners/warriors/mooks to man them.In that case, a Brilliant Energy Catapult loaded with bags of shrapnel would rock, but it would take a good portion of your budget.

BobVosh
2008-09-25, 05:41 AM
Hmmm, how about a reversed enlarged (reduced) boulders? I don't mean boulders the size of pebbles, I mean hills the size of boulders. You could only have a few of these, but it would be basically a one hit kill siege weapon.
+

In that case, a Brilliant Energy Catapult loaded with bags of shrapnel would rock, but it would take a good portion of your budget.

= Win

After all you only need a wizard to cast shrink object, don't need a permant enchant. Bags of shrapnel, which expand when you shoot em, tearing through walls and being full sized boulders when they hit people.

:xykon: I think I just had an evilgasm.

Crazy Scot
2008-09-25, 05:50 AM
Save the money you spend on using seige engineers and such to load your weapons, save the money and get the +2 modifier enchantment Self-Loading [Heroes of Battle].

RTGoodman
2008-09-25, 12:37 PM
How about Splitting? There's a reason everyone suggests it for every ranged build (unless it's banned for being somewhere between unbalanced and VERY unbalanced).

A Light spell put on a rock on a parachute would make a dandy flare for night time battles.

Parachutes? Pshaw. If you want flares, why not just have a low-level Wizard or Cleric with wands of light and feather fall. That should be pretty cheap (compared to, you know, enchanted seige weapons), and would be pretty cool.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 12:47 PM
Parachutes? Pshaw. If you want flares, why not just have a low-level Wizard or Cleric with wands of light and feather fall. That should be pretty cheap (compared to, you know, enchanted seige weapons), and would be pretty cool."Now Dave, what we're gonna do is..we're gonna to launch you over the enmy's wall. Nono, don' worry, we'll have them casters make sure you take a long time to land, an' don' hit too 'ard. Now you'll be all nice and lit up purty-like, so'in you can see, an' ya can shout back where'n Jeb should aim them caterpaults, see. You'll be fine."

"Sure thing Bob. Hol' my sign, I don' wanta lose it."

:smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2008-09-25, 01:04 PM
Invest in returning boulders. That way you never run out. just make sure you hire some giants to catch them on the rebound.

XiaoTie
2008-09-25, 01:18 PM
"Now Dave, what we're gonna do is..we're gonna to launch you over the enmy's wall. Nono, don' worry, we'll have them casters make sure you take a long time to land, an' don' hit too 'ard. Now you'll be all nice and lit up purty-like, so'in you can see, an' ya can shout back where'n Jeb should aim them caterpaults, see. You'll be fine."

"Sure thing Bob. Hol' my sign, I don' wanta lose it."

:smallbiggrin:

Oh man, that was hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

OP: You could use:

Hmmm, how about a reversed enlarged (reduced) boulders? I don't mean boulders the size of pebbles, I mean hills the size of boulders. You could only have a few of these, but it would be basically a one hit kill siege weapon.
With elementals instead of boulders :redcloak:

Curmudgeon
2008-09-25, 01:35 PM
How about Splitting? There's a reason everyone suggests it for every ranged build (unless it's banned for being somewhere between unbalanced and VERY unbalanced).
All these theoretical builds overlook the cost, which is +3, and thus way outside of the OP's budget. I've found that Splitting tends to be great when you can first afford +5 cost weapons, and then suddenly everybody you're up against automagically has full cover/concealment available and ranged weapons aren't especially effective.

Burley
2008-09-25, 01:42 PM
Wanna know a free siege weapon? High level warlock with Eldritch Glaive, Hammer Blast, and Retributive Invisibility. So many d6s of damage on that full attack.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-25, 02:28 PM
That is only free if YOU are the Warlock. Such power would likely mean they would charge quite a lot of coin for their services.

Parachutes? Pshaw. If you want flares, why not just have a low-level Wizard or Cleric with wands of light and feather fall. That should be pretty cheap (compared to, you know, enchanted seige weapons), and would be pretty cool.
Yeah, but with a parachute (Leonardo De Vinci thought them up, so I bet Leonard of Quirm could) you only have to pay for the Light spell. Even cheaper.