PDA

View Full Version : Spelling-wise, Kubota is the new Xykon [silly, perhaps...?]

JoseB
2008-09-25, 04:03 AM
Reading through the flurry of threads spawned by the last two-three comics, I can't help but see that our poor late Daimyo Kubota is subjected to the posthumous indignity of having his name misspelled in a myriad of interesting ways (Kabuto, Kobota, Kobata, etc...). I have already lost count of the variations, but I think that I have seen more variants of "Kubota" on this board than there were of "Xykon".

Which actually surprises me, given that "Kubota" doesn't look as weird (spelling-wise) as "Xykon" does. Or maybe it is just me.

Oh, and to all the people who are using [sic] after they write the name of our disintegrated aristocrat to indicate that they can't be bothered to check the correct spelling: THAT IS NOT WHAT "SIC" MEANS IN THIS CONTEXT. You use the Latinate abbreviation [sic] when you are literally quoting something that someone else wrote.

Anyway: Ex-Parr... Ex-Daimyo Kubota, the new Xykon when it comes to Spelling Troubles (TM)? Discuss.

Just my 2 eurocent!

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-25, 04:08 AM
For some reason, I tend to get confused a lot with Asian names (I think I thought it was Kobuta for some reason).

Rad
2008-09-25, 04:09 AM
Reading through the flurry of threads spawned by the last two-three comics, I can't help but see that our poor late Daimyo Kubota is subjected to the posthumous indignity of having his name misspelled in a myriad of interesting ways (Kabuto, Kobota, Kobata, etc...). I have already lost count of the variations, but I think that I have seen more variants of "Kubota" on this board than there were of "Xykon".

Which actually surprises me, given that "Kubota" doesn't look as weird (spelling-wise) as "Xykon" does. Or maybe it is just me.

Oh, and to all the people who are using [sic] after they write the name of our disintegrated aristocrat to indicate that they can't be bothered to check the correct spelling: THAT IS NOT WHAT "SIC" MEANS IN THIS CONTEXT. You use the Latinate abbreviation [sic] when you are literally quoting something that someone else wrote.

Anyway: Ex-Parr... Ex-Daimyo Kubota, the new Xykon when it comes to Spelling Troubles (TM)? Discuss.

Just my 2 eurocent!

You, man are so right! Poor Kubota (the name itself, not the character).

And yes, people seem to love using Latin without knowing what it means...

Kato
2008-09-25, 04:44 AM
Agreed. I mean, omg, the name has 6 (six!!!!) letters, whats that hard to write down Kabu... Koba... Kubu... Kobuta! I mean, I don't mind a typo, happens to everyone, but people who just always write it wrong, that's... It's just annoying? What if everyone misspelled you name in all possible variants? What is so hard with it???

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 04:53 AM
Agreed. I mean, omg, the name has 6 (six!!!!) letters, whats that hard to write down Kabu... Koba... Kubu... Kobuta! I mean, I don't mind a typo, happens to everyone, but people who just always write it wrong, that's... It's just annoying? What if everyone misspelled you name in all possible variants? What is so hard with it???The misspelling in your post may be intentional, so I won't hold that against you, but don't call others lazy if you can't type out "Oh my god", let alone be bothered to use proper punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. For those who are even more pedantic than me, the error in the above post was intentional and is a political statement.

JaxGaret
2008-09-25, 06:15 AM
I'm fairly sure that the misspellings are usually a matter of plain not caring. Many of the Xykon ones (Xyklon is my favorite; where the heck did the L come from?) were literally within eyeshot of a correct spelling of his name.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 07:28 AM
I had to check on a near quarter-hourly basis for a while to see how to spell Kubota's name. It's just too close to Kabuto - who happens to be a pokemon (and google tells me a Naruto character) in addition to the semi-well known in the anime community "Kabuto helmets".

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/11154/images/kabuto.gif

At least we know why he got owned so early. Even his evolved form is UU!

http://tractor.t.r.pic.centerblog.net/gwurswiy.jpg

Similarly, Zyklon (pronounced the same as Xyklon) is a Metal band (and for some reason I will never understand, a lot of us nerds like metal) as well as a cyanide gas.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_05djRx5SQwk/R9re3EPKrUI/AAAAAAAAAEo/UwqPHuegwkA/s320/Zyklon-Disintegrate-Front.jpg

Connington
2008-09-25, 07:41 AM
Possibly, but Therkla holds the prize for the most consistent misspelling. I'm starting to think Thelkra is the star of a spinoff comic.

JaxGaret
2008-09-25, 09:16 AM
Similarly, Zyklon (pronounced the same as Xyklon) is a Metal band (and for some reason I will never understand, a lot of us nerds like metal) as well as a cyanide gas.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_05djRx5SQwk/R9re3EPKrUI/AAAAAAAAAEo/UwqPHuegwkA/s320/Zyklon-Disintegrate-Front.jpg

Wow, there's a metal band named Zyklon? That's in seriously poor taste, unless they are subverting it somehow.

Zyklon B (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyklon_b) gassing, in case anyone doesn't know, was the primary method used to exterminate prisoners by the Nazis in WWII.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 09:17 AM
Wow, there's a metal band named Zyklon? That's in seriously poor taste.

Well, they are a metal band. What's new?

Zolem
2008-09-25, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I keep wanting to call him Kabuto, mostly after, as AstralFire mentioned, the brillaint schemer from Naruto who managed to infiltrate a villaige of profesional spies sicne he was 5. He was discovered during a failed assasination attempt when he was 14 when Kakashi defeated him after he had taken out a squad of ANBU (read 'eliete special forces').

JoseB
2008-09-25, 10:34 AM
Interesting, see? "Kabuto" is more familiar to me from the character "Koji Kabuto", the protagonist of the anime "Mazinger Z" (which is known as "Tranzor Z" in the US, I think).

But even then... Kubota is a (relatively) well-known maker of tractors and earth-moving equipment; it is not as if the name is absolutely alien. No? No? *looks around* Anyone? Bueller?

Just my 2 eurocent!

JoseB
2008-09-25, 10:38 AM
The misspelling in your post may be intentional, so I won't hold that against you, but don't call others lazy if you can't type out "Oh my god", let alone be bothered to use proper punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. For those who are even more pedantic than me, the error in the above post was intentional and is a political statement.

I won't mention anything about punctuation, capitalization and the use of abbreviations, but regarding grammar, I would cut him some slack, given that English is possibly not his first language. He says he's based in Germany, after all.

Just my 2 eurocent!

Draz74
2008-09-25, 12:00 PM

So? There's no character named Xyklon to mix this up with.

:xykon: Xy-NO-'L'-kon. :xykon:

Back on the original topic -- I still don't think Kubota has caught up to either of his minions, Qarr or Therkla, in the misspelling issue.

paddyfool
2008-09-25, 12:10 PM
I confess, I had noticed the multitude of spellings of the simple-enough word "Kubota" with some confusion. But then I remembered about the constant (and to me, far more annoying) misuse of the term "Rouge"...

Eric
2008-09-25, 12:17 PM
Phonemes are the problem.

Kabuto is (for english-based phonemes) a LOT easier to remember.

Kubota (isn't it?) is harder to remember because it isn't using english-based phonemes.

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-09-25, 12:22 PM
I admit when I'm speed typing I pretty much always type Kobuta, so I try to be more careful.

I don't know why.

Darkhands
2008-09-25, 12:28 PM
I seriously thought that those name misspellings were some kind of running forum joke... I can't believe that many people would make that many misspellings!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-25, 12:41 PM
I seriously thought that those name misspellings were some kind of running forum joke... I can't believe that many people would make that many misspellings!The problem is that so many of the names sound more natural when mispronounced(other than ZykLon, I'm got no clue what's up with that). Kabuto rolls off of the tongue more naturally than Kubota, Qarr just looks wrong without a 'u'(and recently has had entire threads devoted to pronouncing it), and I am one of many that calls shim simply 'V'.

Fighteer
2008-09-25, 12:57 PM
Well, "V" is used by the characters themselves when they don't feel like saying "Vaarsuvius". Its use on these boards is entirely consistent with the usage in the comic.

What gets me is that the canonical source for the spelling of every name in the comic strip is literally a click on the sidebar away. If you have even the slightest confusion about how to spell a name, failing to look it up is a truly revealing statement about your own laziness.

Maybe some people are poor enough with language that they don't notice when they are misspelling character names. I don't know - I've spent so much time reading fantasy and science fiction that I don't give oddly spelled names a second glance. I'm as free from language-based prejudice as I think it's possible to get in this regard. If you've ever taken the time to study a second language or have read as much as a single full-length novel that isn't intended for eight-year olds, you have to have encountered the idea that they don't always spell things the way you're used to.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 01:13 PM
When I first started seeing people write "Kobota" or any of the other thousand misspellings, I suspected it was wrong, but didn't know for sure. I'd only breezed over his name, really.

And I don't think laziness now and again for spelling is a bad thing. Speaking as someone who has pretty good spelling and doesn't use spellcheck, too.

mikeejimbo
2008-09-25, 02:18 PM
The Asian names trip me up too, so I usually have to check before typing *checks* Kubota. I've mostly remedied this by not talking about him very often.

Vaarsuvius is easier for me. It's just Vesuvius with 'aar'.

Lissou
2008-09-25, 02:34 PM
"sic" means "I quote", basically. It's often used when you know there is a spelling mistake, but you're still spelling the mistake on purpose because the original person wrote it that way, (hence the "I quote") and you don't want people to think YOU made the mistake. It can also be used for a sentence that makes no sense, even if spelled correctly.

I think people just ended up associating it with a spelling mistake, but that's not what it means. You might want to try using "sp?" instead.

And yeah, Kubota's so easy to pronounce. Any of the variants would be pronounced completely differently, which isn't the case with Xykon.
Then again, I keep wanting to type "Ian" instead of "Elan", probably because I pronounce them almost the same way (except for the L).

nybbler
2008-09-25, 02:53 PM
Anyway, Xykon can tell when you're pronouncing his name with a Z. I think it was in Start of Darkness.

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 02:54 PM
Anyway, Xykon can tell when you're pronouncing his name with a Z. I think it was in Start of Darkness.

Then how do you pronounce his name? Is this one of those K'z'k things?

Fawkes
2008-09-25, 04:03 PM
Then how do you pronounce his name? Is this one of those K'z'k things?

The joke is that it sounds the same. Right-Eye calls him Zykon[sic], (THAT'S how you use it) Xykon corrects him, and Right-Eye wonders how he was able to tell the difference.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-25, 04:06 PM
Like how in a NCftPB bonus strip, Redcloak correct's MitD's use of "horde" to "hoard".

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 04:07 PM
The joke is that it sounds the same. Right-Eye calls him Zykon[sic], (THAT'S how you use it) Xykon corrects him, and Right-Eye wonders how he was able to tell the difference.

Okay, so it's a K'Z'K thing.

...Well, no, K'Z'K is just plain unpronounceable without vowel sounds, as far as I know.

The Extinguisher
2008-09-25, 04:08 PM
I had to check on a near quarter-hourly basis for a while to see how to spell Kubota's name. It's just too close to Kabuto - who happens to be a pokemon (and google tells me a Naruto character) in addition to the semi-well known in the anime community "Kabuto helmets".

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/11154/images/kabuto.gif

Well, at least I know WHY I've been mispronouncing it.

RTGoodman
2008-09-25, 04:13 PM
"sic" means "I quote", basically. It's often used when you know there is a spelling mistake, but you're still spelling the mistake on purpose because the original person wrote it that way, (hence the "I quote") and you don't want people to think YOU made the mistake. It can also be used for a sentence that makes no sense, even if spelled correctly.

Yeah, pretty much. The actual translation of sic is "thus," but yours gets the point across better.

More on topic, I think the random "L" in Xyclon might be some sort of confusion with Cylons or something, but I don't really know. The rest of the names, though, I haven't had a problem with, though for a couple of stips I was calling our late Daimyo "Kabuto" (based on the Pokemon name).

arkwei
2008-09-25, 10:32 PM
...There is only one person (I think) in the board that does the silly [sic] thing, and that is me, and you just felt the urge to start a thread about it and just can't simply post a reply in that thread?

You know, I actually know his name. I used quite some variations on his name, and I made sure it was wrong every time.

It would be wrong to use [sp?] because that is when you can't bother to check the spelling. In my case, I was intentionally misspelling it. Since [sic] would be closer in spirit (that the writer knows they used the wrong word) than [sp?] (the the writer is not so sure about the spelling), I chose to use [sic].

Also, you could note that there are usually very few spelling errors (of actual words) in my post.

Really, get over it, you don't seem to be mad about people misspelling real words in the posts, why so mad about something less serious and was more of a bad joke?

mikeejimbo
2008-09-25, 10:53 PM
...There is only one person (I think) in the board that does the silly [sic] thing, and that is me, and you just felt the urge to start a thread about it and just can't simply post a reply in that thread?

I thought you might have been trying to do something like that.

JoseB
2008-09-26, 04:05 AM

You know, I actually know his name. I used quite some variations on his name, and I made sure it was wrong every time.

It would be wrong to use [sp?] because that is when you can't bother to check the spelling. In my case, I was intentionally misspelling it. Since [sic] would be closer in spirit (that the writer knows they used the wrong word) than [sp?] (the the writer is not so sure about the spelling), I chose to use [sic].

Also, you could note that there are usually very few spelling errors (of actual words) in my post.

Really, get over it, you don't seem to be mad about people misspelling real words in the posts, why so mad about something less serious and was more of a bad joke?

Didn't post a reply on this thread? Posts #12 and #13 in this thread, check the author. Also, why do you think I am angry or making fun of your spelling errors in particular? I make the observation about how Kubota's name has been misspelled a lot (not just by you). Especially given that his name doesn't appear to be particularly weird-looking when compared to Xykon (or Therkla, or Qarr -if we want to look at other names often misspelled by posters).

Regarding the [sic] thing, I am sure I have seen it misused by other people, also not just by you.

Don't have a cow, man. I am not after you personally. I am not after anyone in particular. I am commenting on what appears to be a trend in this board.

Just my 2 eurocent!

arkwei
2008-09-26, 01:45 PM
Didn't post a reply on this thread? Posts #12 and #13 in this thread, check the author. Also, why do you think I am angry or making fun of your spelling errors in particular? I make the observation about how Kubota's name has been misspelled a lot (not just by you). Especially given that his name doesn't appear to be particularly weird-looking when compared to Xykon (or Therkla, or Qarr -if we want to look at other names often misspelled by posters).

Regarding the [sic] thing, I am sure I have seen it misused by other people, also not just by you.

Don't have a cow, man. I am not after you personally. I am not after anyone in particular. I am commenting on what appears to be a trend in this board.

Just my 2 eurocent!

Do a search on [sic], and you'll find out the only ones using it in September were SPoD and me. And SPoD used it only once, and it is used on Therkla. I mean, I think you started the post after me for a reason.

The "thread" I was refering to was the one I spammed [sic] in. I assumed you picked it up from there.

I understand you are not making fun of me, but this kind of thing feels uncomfortable regardless, and I felt the necessity to speak in this thread and explain myself, that's all.

As for why Kubota is easily misspelled - it's a Japanese name, where vowels could get easily switched and still look right to English-speaking (or rather, American) eyes. Linguistics have something to explain this phenomonon, I believe.

Lissou
2008-09-26, 02:26 PM
I had no idea who the "[sic]" thing was about...

I have to say I like how the Giant uses the misspellings in the comic. References to "Zykon", "Xyklon", "rouge", "Shinjo"....

I think the only mistake I made was Calling O-Chul O'Chul. Sorry about that, I stopped after being corrected >.>

AceOfFools
2008-09-26, 11:37 PM
Yeah, pretty much. The actual translation of sic is "thus," but yours gets the point across better.

More on topic, I think the random "L" in Xyclon might be some sort of confusion with Cylons or something, but I don't really know. The rest of the names, though, I haven't had a problem with, though for a couple of stips I was calling our late Daimyo "Kabuto" (based on the Pokemon name).

Never got into either the old or the new Battlestar Galactica, but that's what tripped me up (although I resolved that one before officially donnng my Ace of Fools cap).

With Kubota (or as I call him, Pinky), its because I think "Ku-boat-a" can't be right as it would be way to silly for Rich to use as name without someone mentioning it. Not to mention the fact that I associate names ending in "-a" with females.

And he wears Magenta. I mean was Pinky designed to have people accidentally associate him with the wrong gender?

Eric
2008-09-27, 05:16 AM
If anyone knows the shorthand to indicate you are intentionally misspelling a word, please let me know.

Don't.

Spell it properly. If you quote someone, use their spelling. No need to put even [sic] there because

a) it's quote
b) it's a smartarse thing to point out "and yoooou got it wrong" so don't do it

Blue Ghost
2008-09-27, 10:50 AM
I really don't see how people get the names wrong.
Kubota
Xykon
Therkla
Vaarsuvius
Tsukiko
Miko Miyazaki
I just don't get it.

Firestar27
2008-09-29, 04:14 PM
I seriously thought that those name misspellings were some kind of running forum joke... I can't believe that many people would make that many misspellings!

Welcome to the internets. Misspellings are common.

Prowl
2008-10-01, 04:26 AM
So? There's no character named Xyklon to mix this up with.

actually...

In OtOoPCs, there is in fact a "Xyklon" - this very misspelling is the subject of a joke which I won't further spoil for you.

B. Dandelion
2008-10-01, 04:51 AM
Don't.

Spell it properly. If you quote someone, use their spelling. No need to put even [sic] there because

a) it's quote
b) it's a smartarse thing to point out "and yoooou got it wrong" so don't do it
Word. Well, I do it on occasion, to people who a) make multiple spelling and grammar mistakes and b) are rude and deserve to be taken down a peg but most importantly c) post on other messageboards where flaming is not merely tolerated but actively encouraged, so you don't want to emulate me.

Rinquist
2008-10-01, 04:57 AM
I was once bit by a mosquito in Fayetteville. It was the size of a helicopter.

OmegaDonut
2008-10-01, 12:52 PM
actually...

In OtOoPCs, there is in fact a "Xyklon" - this very misspelling is the subject of a joke which I won't further spoil for you.

It's actually in SoD.

Noobfish
2008-10-01, 01:09 PM
I really like Kæbøtå.

I hope you can see those letters :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2008-10-01, 02:38 PM
To use his full name, Xyklon the Consequential :smallbiggrin:

pearl jam
2008-10-01, 05:41 PM
Phonemes are the problem.

Kabuto is (for english-based phonemes) a LOT easier to remember.

Kubota (isn't it?) is harder to remember because it isn't using english-based phonemes.

Considering that the phonemes (smallest distinguishable units of sound) in these 2 words are identical, simply reordered, this has nothing to do with the problem. It's simply lack of familiarity with the word.

What I find most amusing is the fact that 2 of the misspellings are real Japanese words.

KABUTO means helmet.
KOBUTA means little pig.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-10-01, 09:51 PM
What if everyone misspelled you name in all possible variants? What is so hard with it???

...Been there, done that, given up correcting unless absolutely necessary. Bridget Bridgett Brigit Briget Brigitte Bridgit Bridgette... need I say more? It's Brigette.

Eric
2008-10-02, 11:53 AM
Considering that the phonemes (smallest distinguishable units of sound) in these 2 words are identical, simply reordered, this has nothing to do with the problem. It's simply lack of familiarity with the word.

What I find most amusing is the fact that 2 of the misspellings are real Japanese words.

KABUTO means helmet.
KOBUTA means little pig.

Nice to know something new.

Is it

Ka boot oh?

That seems to be the only pronuncition that works for that.

Now the other one:

Kow But Ah?
Cob Ute Ah?
Kow Boo Ta?
Ko Boot Ah?
Ko Boot A?
Kow Boot A?

Eric
2008-10-02, 11:55 AM
...Been there, done that, given up correcting unless absolutely necessary. Bridget Bridgett Brigit Briget Brigitte Bridgit Bridgette... need I say more? It's Brigette.

I guess you should take blame though for picking a name.

Heck, I'm welsh (partly) and even I think "what the hell happened to the vowels???"

Caleniel
2008-10-02, 01:56 PM
Vaarsuvius is easier for me. It's just Vesuvius with 'aar'.

So... a pirate volcano? Fitting somehow, since s/he is onboard a ship and seems to be approaching some kind of major eruption...

:smallsmile:

[edit: Volcano. It's called volcano in English. Silly me.]

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-10-02, 08:14 PM
I guess you should take blame though for picking a name.

Heck, I'm welsh (partly) and even I think "what the hell happened to the vowels???"

How can I be blamed for my parents picking my name?

And Welsh makes more sense when you realize that y and w are vowels :smallbiggrin:

pearl jam
2008-10-02, 08:25 PM
Nice to know something new.

Is it

Ka boot oh?

That seems to be the only pronuncition that works for that.

Now the other one:

Kow But Ah?
Cob Ute Ah?
Kow Boo Ta?
Ko Boot Ah?
Ko Boot A?
Kow Boot A?

Pretty close, except that Japanese tends to have open syllables (ending in vowels, rather than consonants)

So it's closer to KAH BOO TOE and KOE BOO TAH

derfenrirwolv
2008-10-03, 01:50 AM
The dragon flew into her cave

Orange Rutebega Ottisville paint catharism mitichondrion

Which of those is easier to remember? For most people, the first one by a FAR margin even though they both have the same number of words. The difference is that the first group has an order, a sense, a pattern about it that makes it easier to remember. The second is essentialy random.

In english, vowels are, lets face it, almost random in which sounds they make. ough can be ought (aw) trough (of) or through (ew) . You can thank everyone for invading england over the millenia for adding their words to our language. Anyway, the vowel order in Kubota's name is hard to remember for bad speelings like myself because its essentialy random. Even looking at won't help in two seconds because the information simply doesn't seem important enough to register (kind of like the name of the middle girl in family matters)

Caleniel
2008-10-03, 07:43 AM
The dragon flew into her cave

Orange Rutebega Ottisville paint catharism mitichondrion

derfenrirwolv! You misspelled mitochondrion! Tsch!

In english, vowels are, lets face it, almost random in which sounds they make. ough can be ought (aw) trough (of) or through (ew) . You can thank everyone for invading england over the millenia for adding their words to our language.

Oh, you're welcome. We'd do it again, but viking ships just fail to intimidate anyone these days. :smallbiggrin: