PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Bane of Bovines!

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-25, 10:01 AM
Giant Cow Killer Wasp

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs17/300W/f/2007/177/8/7/The_Cows_will_be_Killed_by_mantispid.jpg

Medium Vermin
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (+12 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Agonizing sting, improved grab, tenacious
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, vermin traits
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int -, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: *Climb +10, *Survival +1 (+5 track)
Feats: Diehard(B), Track(B)
Environment: Temperate or Warm Desert or Forest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium), 7-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

This appears to be a great ant with a rigid exoskeleton covered in rough black and bright orange or red hairs in alternating stripes. Long black antennae extend from their heads, with gripping mandibles protruding below.

Also known as a giant velvet ant, giant cow killers are extraordinarily tough, wingless wasps. They gain their name from the tales that their stings are so painful they would kill a cow.
They feed exclusively upon nectar and honey, often stolen from giant bees with whom which they are mortal enemies. To lay their eggs they seek out giant bee hives, sometimes even Abeil, and hide relatively minuscule eggs within their nurseries to hatch. The tiny larvae then burrow into the bee eggs or pupae. They keep them alive until they are near maturity and then eat their host from the inside out, eventually emerging as a new giant cow killer. Otherwise they tend to be relatively docile, though if attacked they defend themselves well.

A giant cow killer wasp weighs around 200 lbs and stands 4 feet tall at their shoulder.

Combat
A giant cow killer wasp attacks by trying to grab hold of its victim and then sting it viciously. Few are the creatures that wish to attack it further after even one sting.

Agonizing Sting (Ex): A giant cow killer wasp has a stinger and a gland in its abdomen that produces an agonizing chemical. If it successfully grabs an opponent, it can attempt to sting each round (+4 attack bonus). A hit with the sting attack deals 1d4+1 points of piercing damage and the victim must succeed on a DC 15 fortitude save or become nauseated from the pain for 1 round and sickened for a minute afterward. Duration from multiple stings do not stack, though they do overlap. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a giant cow killer wasp must hit with its bite attack. A giant cow killer wasp that wins the ensuing grapple check establishes a hold and can sting.

Tenacious (Ex): A giant cow killer wasp continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying. As well, there is a 20% chance that critical hits are ineffective against them. They are not subject to death from massive damage.

Skills: *Giant cow killer wasps have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A giant cow killer wasp can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-25, 02:55 PM
Ooh, I just read an article on these. Nice. Giant parasites or predators that feed on other giant creatures are rarely done; this works great.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-25, 03:28 PM
Ooh, I just read an article on these. Nice. Giant parasites or predators that feed on other giant creatures are rarely done; this works great.
The things are nigh indestructible. You can stomp on them 20 times and they'll just pull themselves out of the dirt. Found out the reason they are like that is so they can withstand an entire hive worth of bee stings.

DracoDei
2008-09-25, 04:15 PM
Eh... needs to be a bit beefer I think for the role you describe. DR 1/-? Poison Resistance as a bonus feat?

Never mind, just noticed the AC...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-26, 07:55 AM
Eh... needs to be a bit beefer I think for the role you describe. DR 1/-? Poison Resistance as a bonus feat?

Never mind, just noticed the AC...
Darest thou question mine competence!? :smallyuk:

DracoDei
2008-09-26, 12:39 PM
Given what happened HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91925) :smallwink: , I dare, of course that was a fairly specific thing rather than an overall concept execution problem or whatever you want to call it.