PDA

View Full Version : [4e] damage in some powers

LeZebra
2008-09-25, 02:01 PM
Fiery Bolt for instance, does 3d6 + Con fire damage and then 1d6 + Con fire damage to all those enemies adjacent to the target. Now, one would normally add +2 damage from a +2 rod you were using, and let's say you have Hellfire Blood, so stack a +1 on there too. Would you add that combined +3 to the 3d6 + Con AND the 1d6 + Con fire damage to adjacent creatures? Or just to the main 3d6 + Con?

Dausuul
2008-09-25, 02:07 PM
Fiery Bolt for instance, does 3d6 + Con fire damage and then 1d6 + Con fire damage to all those enemies adjacent to the target. Now, one would normally add +2 damage from a +2 rod you were using, and let's say you have Hellfire Blood, so stack a +1 on there too. Would you add that combined +3 to the 3d6 + Con AND the 1d6 + Con fire damage to adjacent creatures? Or just to the main 3d6 + Con?

I haven't looked at the power to make sure, but generally the answer would be yes, it applies to both. The rod and the feat add bonuses to damage rolls, so you'd get the bonus any time you rolled damage for an applicable power (for the rod, a power with the Implement keyword; for Hellfire Blood, a power with the Fire or Fear keyword). Both 3d6 + Con and 1d6 + Con are damage rolls, so they both get the bonuses.

However, when an effect does not involve a damage roll, those bonuses do not apply. For example, Cleave does your Strength modifier in damage to the secondary target; if you have a +2 sword and Weapon Focus, you don't add those to the secondary damage of Cleave, because there is no roll involved.

LeZebra
2008-09-25, 04:50 PM
thanks! any chance you have a reference in the rules to that difference...between adding those extra damage bonuses to rolls, as opposed to static numbers (like in cleave)? that'd be nice, i can't find it anywhere.

Mando Knight
2008-09-25, 05:20 PM
thanks! any chance you have a reference in the rules to that difference...between adding those extra damage bonuses to rolls, as opposed to static numbers (like in cleave)? that'd be nice, i can't find it anywhere.

It says "damage rolls" in the text of the enhancement, which clearly defines it as damage that would be rolled. (Critical hits count, since they have a damage roll that automatically counts as maximized...)

LeZebra
2008-09-26, 08:14 AM
perfect, thanks