PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Monk

ThanatosOmnis
2008-09-25, 03:36 PM
If the DM changed the requirements for a barbarian from "any nonlawful" to "any chaotic", could a LE monk w/ the ordered chaos feat (Fiendish Codex I) take levels of barbarian?

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-25, 04:02 PM
What does the feat do?

Lyndworm
2008-09-25, 04:45 PM
Prerequisite: Non-chaotic alignment, base Will save +4.
Benefit: Your alignment is not affected by the Abyssal heritor feats you possess. Spells and effects that are keyed to alignment affect you as if you were chaotic, as well as your actual alignment. For example, you become immune to spells such as chaos hammer and word of chaos, you could wield an anarchic weapon without fear of gaining a negative level, and you could take the Primordial Scion feat despite its chaotic alignment prerequisite.

So...no. Any effect that depends on alignment treats you (lets say you're Lawful Evil) as Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil. So you're immune to effects that don't work on Lawful creatures and immune to effects that don't work on Chaotic creatures. You could also use items that require you to be Chaotic, despite being Lawful. It does seem to make you eligible for feats that require a Chaotic alignment, though.

Zack

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 04:46 PM
If the DM changed the requirements for a barbarian from "any nonlawful" to "any chaotic", could a LE monk w/ the ordered chaos feat (Fiendish Codex I) take levels of barbarian?

Wouldn't you just be better off asking the DM to change the Barbarian to "any"? There are tons of examples of very honorable barbarians.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-25, 04:52 PM
Thank you Lyndworm for that.

NO! It does not treat you as chaotic for benefitting from feats (Except the Abyssal Heritor feats) or gaining levels. So no. Although there is no reason why a DM wouldn't be willing to allow a lawful barbarian, or even a nonlawful monk. Seriously, give it Ki blast and you've done made a super saiyan. How can a DM say no to that?

AstralFire
2008-09-25, 04:53 PM
Thank you Lyndworm for that.

NO! It does not treat you as chaotic for benefitting from feats (Except the Abyssal Heritor feats) or gaining levels. So no. Although there is no reason why a DM wouldn't be willing to allow a lawful barbarian, or even a nonlawful monk. Seriously, give it Ki blast and you've done made a super saiyan. How can a DM say no to that?

The Lady of Pain dislikes Super Saiyajin. *smack*

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-25, 04:56 PM
The Lady of Pain doesn't smack me because she knows I like it, and she knows that my one weakness is irony. SO to punish me she has to not punish me by punishing me......The world just imploded...Twice.

ThanatosOmnis
2008-09-25, 05:56 PM
ok, here's another question: If i was a LG hellbred (Fiendish Codex II) with the ordered chaos feat, i would be treated as LG, CG, LE, and CE correct?

streakster
2008-09-25, 06:13 PM
For the monk/barbarian, just go chaos monk.

Kaihaku
2008-09-25, 06:26 PM
For the monk/barbarian, just go chaos monk.

Yes, failing strike has nice flavor... Though, the alignment requirements are kind of dumb regardless.

RTGoodman
2008-09-25, 06:27 PM
ok, here's another question: If i was a LG hellbred (Fiendish Codex II) with the ordered chaos feat, i would be treated as LG, CG, LE, and CE correct?

Not quite - it says that spells and effects affect you as if you were Chaotic as well as your actual alignment. That's it. You'd never be considered CE or LE, but you'd be considered LG and (if something has an effect based on your being Chaotic) also Chaotic.

Side Note 1: I've always wanted to play a Good-aligned Hellbred that had a bunch of those Abyssal Heritor feats. It's a shame I don't get to play as much as I'd like...

Side Note 2: For simple rules questions, check out the Simple Q&A by RAW (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87867) thread (or it's 4E counterpart (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321)).

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-25, 06:31 PM
I do not kno if this was said, but I recall a chaos monk variant.