PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Demonic Abyssal Chickens. (Need help making these things).

newbDM
2008-09-25, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I am currently getting some help stating out a chicken demon lord with her own abyssal layer on the Gaming board (see thread link below), and now I want to stat out her demonic chicken clutch.

Demon Lord Bock-Booock!!!'s thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91892

Now, I have a basic idea of these guys.

What I have worked out so far (mostly fluff on them, their abyssal layer, and Bock-Booock!!!):

Some background/ideas on Bock-Booock!!!:

Bock-Booock!!! is the demon lord of all chickens.
Her title is She who Clucks.
Her concerns are: Making the humanoid races suffer for the crimes committed against her race/children, Eternal torture and torment of those who harmed chickenkind in life, Overseeing chickenkind's rise as the dominant race in the multiverse.
She rules over layer 321 of the Abyss: The Deep Fryer of Men.
Her true form is that of a colossal sized chicken, with deep-black fathers which reek of brimstone, enormous hooked talons, and eyes that burn with an intense fiery red glow which could send shivers down the spines of the mightiest heroes.
Bock-Booock!!! detests all things not of chick origin, but especially despises the humanoid races for their crimes against her children and the enslavement of chickenkind. She plots endlessly against these "inferior" creatures.
She regularly sends forth legions of her elite feathered demon soldiers (see below) throughout the planes on missions to free their brethren, while at the same time bringing back prisoners to torment and punish.
Aside from her poultry minions, Bock-Boocks!!!'s only ally in the abyss is Pazuzu. Although not affected by his Aura of Servile Avians (chickens are flightless birds), she still feels a form of kinship to the Prince of the Lower Aerial Kingdoms.
Besides Pazuzu, Bock-Booock!!! considers all the other demon lords and powers of the abyss her natural enemies. For you see, although Bock-Booock!!! is a demon lord of significant power, she is convinced that they desire nothing more than to have her plucked and served at their table.
Not surprisingly, there might be some merit to her paranoia. According to ancient legends, her flesh is said to be the single most succulent and delicious substance in all of the multiverse. It is said that a single bite into one of her drumsticks will drive an individual into a trance-like state of unmatched pleasure, delight, arousal, and pure ecstasy (a Will save with a DC well into the 40s/50s). However, these rumors remain unconfirmed, for no one foolish enough to have attempted this still lives. But regardless, she would truly make for a feast worthy of the gods themselves.

Layer 321: The Deep Fryer of Men, and Bock-Booock!!!'s dark clutch:

For her layer of the abyss I envision slightly dark, but a bit more... humorous, light-hearted maybe? Have any of you evr played the original Disgaea? I know that this is a strange connection, but whenever I picture this Disgaea keeps coming to mind.
I even picture the chicken demons/minions as if they were sprites in that game, or in a similar Strategy RPG like FF Tactics. You know, marching in place and such. However, these monsters definitely have a Disgaea darkish feel. I think I get a lot of this inspiration from the Prinnies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prinny) actually.
I even want to stat out all the demons from her realm/layer as identical chickens with pitchforks, that have different colors (like in RPG pallet changes) depending on their rank (which also represents their power levels). Again, a lot like the Disgaea Prinnies, or the Modron.
Like the Modron and the Prinnies, there will be exponentially fewer of each color/level. The second highest level will be the Red level (I am thinking of calling them "Level VI Chickens" as a homage to 1ed D&D), which will consist of only four. (I want to make the Level VI/Reds equal to Balors, so if you experienced homebrewers have any ideas please go to the thread I will make in the Homebrew board.)
And like the Modron and Prinnies, the final level will be their "God" version (Bock-Booock!!! in this case).
However, Bock-Booock!!! will be the only chicken of bigger size. All the rest, even the balor level ones, will still be tiny (or maybe small?) sized. They will all still look exactly the same with their little pitchforks, except for their pallet changes.
I imagine layer 321 resembling the classic Christian/Jewish hell. Dark rock and brimstone everywhere, lava pools everywhere, bursts of fire randomly gushing all around, etc, etc, etc.
In addition, everywhere there will be chickens tormenting (or "punishing" as they think of it) people/humanoids/sentient creatures. However, even this is done slightly comical. Aside from individuals buried or chained up being eternally pecked by chickens (I'd imagine more annoying than painful...), you'll have people locked up in chicken coop-like cages with chickens throwing corn and rice at them for laughs, and huge fast food restaurant-like deep fryers which chickens with pitchforks use to show humanoids "how it feels".
I also imagine Bock-Boooock!!!'s personal area being at the center of her realm. Here she will rest atop her colossal sized "nest" made out of brimstone and bones/skeletons, in the center of a spacious dome like area. All around, and on the rocky ledges of the dome people are getting pecked, tortured, and fried. The four Level VIs/Reds are marching in place (again Strategy RPG style) around Bock-Booock!!!, with maybe eight of the levels Vs (I think I'll make them blue) marching in formation around the Reds, and perhaps twice as many of the level IVs marching around them.
Oh course when I finally run this I will be playing some appropriate music from an RPG while describing this.

Here are my little demon chicks:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/sc001d60cf.jpg

Here are the levels I am thinking up for them:

The Level Is:
They are colored White, and are practically indistinguishable from regular chickens. The pitchforks they always carry around kinda gives it away, though.

I am thinking the Level Is would be the basic low-level soldiers and grunts. I am also figuring that they would take care of most of the torturing and tormenting in The Deep Fryer.

The Level IIs:
Can't think of a color or role/duty for them. Any ideas?

The Level IIIs:

The Level IVs:

The Level Vs:
I am thinking blue for their color. Not too sure of their roles/duties.

The Level VIs:
Their feathers are a blood-red color. These are the highest ranking after Bock-Boock!!! herself. There are only four of them. I want to make them equal in power to the the balors.

They are usually found beside Bock-Boock!!! (marching in place Strategy RPG style).

There main roles will be to serve as Bock-Booock!!!'s personal bodyguards and assassins. However, I imagine that they would probably have a whole lot more duties than this, so I am open to suggestions.

If any of you have any name and role/duty ideas for each level/rank that would be great. The Modron and Prinnie hierarchies were cleverly named, detailed, and organized, so I would love something similar for my dark chickens.

I have never stated demons (or any outsiders before), so I have no clue where to start. And considering that I want the VIs to be balor level monsters/demons, I am completely out of my league. This is why I would appreciate any help and advice you guys would be willing to give me.

Maybe I should try altering the existing demons? I am thinking this would probably not work, since turning a Balor into a chicken sounds even more ridiculous than it is. Then again, this whole thread and concept is extremely ridiculous/stupid to begin with, so...:smallredface:

So, at the moment I only have their basic fluff and concepts. I am sorry about this, but I really don't know where to start or really how to stat out demons. I am still really new to making monsters. I have done a few races within the last two months, but those were pretty awful.

Again, any help, advice, ideas, critiques, etc would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I just got an idea for their pitchforks.

Maybe I can make each level's pitchforks unique in both colors and abilities?

Maybe each rank has a different colored pitchfork, which is made out of a different material and has different abilities, powers, etc? I am imagining they would all be magical, with the higher level ones being the strongest and most powerful.

I am thinking

Level Is: A copper pitchfork. Basically the lowest level.
Level IIs: Maybe a brass pitchfork? What would be the logical step up from copper?
Level IIIs: No clue what metal to use before silver and after (brass?).
Level IVs: A silver pitchfork.
Level Vs: A gold pitchfork.
Level VIs: Adamantine. The most powerful of all. Since there are only four of them, and they each belong to Balor level demons, I am guessing they would be extremely power magic item. Maybe near epic level items, or even actual epic level items?

p.s.2. Oh! And I forgot that I wanted them to be able to convert/transform regular chickens into their ranks.

I am thinking this will be a big part of their raids to "free their brethren". Some might be hauled back to be transformed in the abyss, but I figure that it would make strategic sense to convert as many new allies/troops during a raid/battle if you can.

This will give them sentience.

What do you guys think about this?

How would you make the conversion/transformation process work?

I am thinking of them simply needing to poke "normal" chickens with their pitchforks. If I go this route, should I make it that any level pitchfork can transform a chicken, or it take a specific level(s)?

Also, how long should the process take? Should it me an immediate affetc taking a single round, or should it be much longer? I imagine if it works as an immediate/1 round action it could be a big part of PC battles/raids.

Then I guess they get a pitchfork of their own once they go to their new abyssal home for the first time? Now that I think about it, I could make it a somewhat comical scene if the PCs decide to try sneaking around undetected in The Deep Fryer. They could come across what looks like a military enlistment line, where new "recruits" are lined up, there is a higher level chicken there in a large desk, when they come up he asks them to sign some paperwork, then he sends them forward where another slighty higher level chicken shoves a pitchfork in their hands (wings???) and points it to go through some doors towards basic training. (Jeez, how does my mind come up with thes ethings...:smalleek:).

Rei_Jin
2008-09-25, 08:53 PM
Okay, the easiest way to make demonic chickens is to stack templates.

1. Take a chicken (Use the stats for a Raven or something, it doesn't really matter)

2. Add the Half-fiend template

3. Add the Half-dragon template

4. Add hitdie (of the dragon type) until you are happy with its power level

5. Enjoy!

Doing it this way, you can have different coloured chickens based on the dragon that they've been bred with. Doesn't mean they don't have to have a fire breath though :smallwink:

Lappy9000
2008-09-25, 09:14 PM

1. Take a chicken (Use the stats for a Raven or something, it doesn't really matter)

5. ???

6. Profit!

Fixed it for you.

newbDM is gonna fit in here just fine :smallamused:

The Bushranger
2008-09-26, 08:49 AM
Shouldn't She Who Clucks also have a particular vendetta against the cows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIoYSurSrw)? :smallamused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-09-26, 08:58 AM
Well, lessee here. If you need something to base it off of, here is the Gamecock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2519985&postcount=3).

I also made a serious chicken-based outsider if it'll help with ideas:
Spitfire Cockerel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11033)

Zeta Kai
2008-09-26, 11:12 AM

There's no such thing, but that is one vicious-looking chicken you got there, VT.

Debihuman
2008-09-26, 12:42 PM
Hey VT shouldn't that be "Spirit Vessel" not "Spirit Vestle"? Anyhow, getting back to the original demonic abysaal chicken....

I have a few ideas that might be helpful [feel free to totally ignore them as well].

There should be a definite hierarchy for chickens and the whole idea of demonic poultrey is just too funny. This makes calling them a Brood of Hens much more interesting. For example, She-Who-Clucks could be Mother Hen to all inferior demonic chickens such as Chicks of Doom [who foretell bad fortunes to other] Chicks of Gloom [who spend much of their time in Hades and depress anyone around them] and of course, the Chicks of Destruction [calamity follows them like a bad penny] There could be other demonic chickens but my brain hurtz too much just thinking up this nonsense.

I would think the colors would match the color of eggs that they lay.

Death Throes (Ex): Killing a demonic chicken results in an explosion of sulfur and feathers. Everyone in a 20-foot radius takes damage [depends on what level you are making these but it should be unpleasant].

Debby

DracoDei
2008-09-26, 01:59 PM
I would go with Brass, and then Iron maybe... Pewter?

newbDM
2008-09-27, 03:42 AM

5. Enjoy!

Doing it this way, you can have different coloured chickens based on the dragon that they've been bred with. Doesn't mean they don't have to have a fire breath though :smallwink:

Well, I really don't consider that making a monster.

Also, I just don't like the idea of them simply being fiendish ravens with dragon HD, which I am pretending are not what they are. It also doesn't seem like it will give me the result I want.

Plus I have heard that stacking templates creates "glass canons".

You have a good point about using the raven as the base creature to make a chicken from. I just need to add a peck (bite) attack.

Base Raven:

Raven
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: ¼ d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —-

Here is my attempt at giving it a bite (peck attack):

Chicken
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: ¼ d8 (1 hp)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
or Bite (1d3-5)
Full Attack: Bite +4 (1d3-5) and 2x Claws -1 melee (1d2-5)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement:
Level Adjustment: —-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, after typing the above part I spent the whole night into these wee hours (4:31am here) rereading my MM1 trying to learn how to make monsters while experimenting with my Level Is.

Below is my first attempt ever making a monster from scratch. Please let me know what you honestly think. Feel free to tear it to shreds, because I am confident that it most be flawed in numerous ways. But hey, that is part of the learning experience, right? Hopefully I will learn from the pros here. :smallsmile:

Level I Chickens (Version 1)
CR: 2

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/sc001d60cf.jpg
Gender/Race/Class(es): Female/Abyssal Chicken/---
Alignment/Size/Type/Subtype: CN/Tiny/Outsider/Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil and Tanar'ri
Init: +7
Senses: Darkvision out to 60 feet. Listen +5, Spot +5
Languages: Abyssal, Chicken.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP: 11 (2HD)
AC: 19 (+2 size, +7 Dex), touch 19, flat 12.
Adjustments (Fast healing, regeneration, DR, etc.):
Immunities: Immune electricity and poison.
Resist: Acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +3
Weaknesses:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed: 20 ft
Base Atk: +2; Grp: -9
Special Qualities:
-Telepathy
Melee:
-Demon Chicken (Copper) Pitchfork¹ +10 (1d4-1/x2) or
-Peck +4 (1d3-1/x2) or
-2x Claws +4 (1d2-1/x2)
Ranged:
Atk Options:
Def Options:
Special Actions:
-Transform mundane chickens into Level Is using their pitchforks (see below).
Combat gear: Pitchfork
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 25, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Feats: Underfoot Combatᴮᴿ, Weapon Finesse.
Skills: Listen +5lSpot +5l Balance +12, Hide+13, Knowledge: (The Planes) +2, Move Silently +12, Profession: (Torturer/Tormenter) +5, Search +5, Survival +5.
Possessions: combat gear plus ---
Environment: The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: ???
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: 3-6 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: —

Sources:
Monster Manual 1lPlayer's HandbooklRaces of the Wildl

Notes:
ᴮ=Bonus Feat
ᴿ=Feat from Races of the wild.
¹= A unique item. See below.

The Level Is use a special Pitchfork crafted by males of their kind known as The Crafter *****. These pitchforks are made out of simple copper, though they are all maser work quality.

They posses the supernatural ability to transform any mundane chicken into a Level I. This is done by simply poking a chicken with the pitchfork. Once poked this transformation takes a full round to complete (Note: Although they are transformed, they do not suddenly posses a pitchfork from thin-air.).

Pitchfork:
Size Dam Crit Wig Type
Tiny 1d4 ×2 4 lb. Piercing

A pitchfork has reach. If you use a ready action to set a pitchfork against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

Abyssal Chickens threat pitchforks as light weapons for the purpose of the Weapon Finesse feat.

Notes I jotted down while making this thing during the night:

Notes on how I made my CR2 version.

-It's target CR is 2.
-I gave it the Outsider type. I adjusted it's stats accordingly.
-When choosing it's SIze I kept it as Tiny; however, according to p.296 of the MM1 "These are not hard and fast rules, and many monsters in this book do not adhere to this", so I chose to give it the Str stat of one creature bigger (Small sized). I feel this might give the players/PCs an unexpected surprise, since they would not expect a chicken that strong. I made it a Str 8.
-I made it Tiny sized.
-I gave it a Con 13.
-According to the guidelines, an outsider has the dexterity range of a creature two size categories smaller than their actual size. Therefore I gave it a Dex 25 .
-I gave it the Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil and Tanar'ri subtypes.
-I gave it 2 HD, since it's target CR is 2.
-I gave it straight 10s for it's Int, Wis, and Cha. I did this because they are meant to be low level "mooks". They are the basic (and most numerous) type of chickens in Bock-Boock!!!'s ranks, and is the bulk of the chicken armies.
-I gave it 20ft speed.
-I gave it a Peck (Bite) attack, and two Claw Attacks. Both are according to the recommendations for tiny creatures on p.296 of the MM1.
-I gave it Underfoot Combat as a bonus feat. I intended this to be a way to get past the stepping into enemy/PC squares problem.
-I stated out it's pitchfork (the weakest of the pitchforks, much like the Level Is are the weakest of the chickens) as a reach weapon. I based it on the trident.

I am kind of proud of this thing, even though I know it could be much better. Hopefully you guys (and gals!) can help me fix it.

One of the main things I am worried about is if I met the CR (CR2). Is it too powerful for a CR2 monster? Or did I actually make it too weak?

I was considering adding the Corrupted by the Abyss template from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits to it, which I felt was really fitting in both the title/theme and the boosts it gave. At least in my newb opinion, it seemed to be almost perfect for this. However, it said on the template that it would raise the creature's CR by +1, so I did not do it to keep them as a big military force/swarm type creature.

I also still need to figure out the organization part. The MM1 did not cover that I believe.

Please tell me what you guys think. As always any opinions, ideas, advice, or critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Once this first one is done, I will really need some help scaling all this up to the level IIs-VIs.

I looked through the Fiendish Codex I early today at my local gaming store, and I saw that it listed different roles/duties/jobs/whatever term they used for all demons in the abyss. I forgot the names of each rank, but I was surprised at how organized it all was for the Abyss. Anyway, do you think I should base the different levels of these guys on that? Or would making them all progressively more powerful, although extremely alike, military type troops be better for their fluff of going out into the planes on raids to "free their kind" and take prisoners/victims?

newbDM
2008-09-27, 04:06 AM
Shouldn't She Who Clucks also have a particular vendetta against the cows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIoYSurSrw)? :smallamused:

LoL.

What about a fierce rivalry between her and Baphomet?

Dude, that is a pretty cool idea. Maybe both bickering over who's minions should be the one butchered and consumed by the humanoids?

Well, lessee here. If you need something to base it off of, here is the Gamecock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2519985&postcount=3).

I like the gamecock. I will subscribe to the thread in case I can use it later.

Hey VT shouldn't that be "Spirit Vessel" not "Spirit Vestle"? Anyhow, getting back to the original demonic abysaal chicken....

I have a few ideas that might be helpful [feel free to totally ignore them as well].

There should be a definite hierarchy for chickens and the whole idea of demonic poultrey is just too funny. This makes calling them a Brood of Hens much more interesting. For example, She-Who-Clucks could be Mother Hen to all inferior demonic chickens such as Chicks of Doom [who foretell bad fortunes to other] Chicks of Gloom [who spend much of their time in Hades and depress anyone around them] and of course, the Chicks of Destruction [calamity follows them like a bad penny] There could be other demonic chickens but my brain hurtz too much just thinking up this nonsense.

I would think the colors would match the color of eggs that they lay.

Death Throes (Ex): Killing a demonic chicken results in an explosion of sulfur and feathers. Everyone in a 20-foot radius takes damage [depends on what level you are making these but it should be unpleasant].

Debby

Oh come on, how can I ignore someone who is so active on this board, and who obviously knows what she is talking about?

Also, I was thought it is wrong to be rude to women.

Anyway, I love those ideas for children of She-Who-Clucks. Thanks! However, I think I'll tweak it and make it so those types of chickens are the male roosters of this demonic species. I like the idea of the males being much rarer and somewhat more powerful on average (and probably much more humorous!), like those you described, but less involved in combat or the whole chain of command thing in general.

I am not too sure about the egg thing, though. I was thinking more on the lines of all the levels originally either being hatched as Level Is or having been "freed" and then working their ways up the ranks. Then again I guess She-Who-Clucks could always lay any kind of creature she wants.

Hmmm. Exploding chickens? Why did I not think of that?!

But then the PCs would not be able to have them for dinner as a reward. Plus would that not increase their CR?

I would go with Brass, and then Iron maybe... Pewter?

Then Brass it is for the Level IIs!

But I think I need something else for IIIs. I have a hard enough time photoshoping anything, so I think to many silver/metal colored ones will be a problem.

Debihuman
2008-09-27, 07:16 PM
I can't tell you how much I hate that "new" stat block for critiquing monsters. But from what I can tell it looks pretty good. Granted, I would have gone a slightly different route but this is your critter :smallsmile:

If you are going to use the Tanar'ri subtype then the chickens need all the features and traits that go along with it. [The Tanar'ri subtyp can be found in MM 3]. Right now you're missing the following:

Immunity to electricity and poison
Resistance to acid 10, cold 10 and fire 10
Summon (Sp): A Demonic Abyssal Chicken can summon a Fiendish Dire Chicken once a day
Telepathy (Su): Demonic Abyssal Chickens can communicate with any other creature within 100 ft. that speaks Abyssal or Chicken.

Fiendish Dire Chickens are slightly weaker:
Int 3, Darkvison 60 ft., no immunities, Resistance 5 only to cold and fire, spell resistance is equal to HD +5, but they get Smite Good (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD total (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Also, Demonic Abyssal Chickens can be found wandering the Prime Material Plane which is why they do not get all the subtypes of Demonic Abyssal Chickens. Fiendish Dire Chickens are simply: Magical Beast (Extraplanar). They have an evil alignment but do not get the Evil subtype. I thought they'd make good minions for Demonic Abyssal Chickens.

I found a dire chicken this posted a long time ago [on WotC's Chicken Challenge]. There were also some mistakes that I found and I'm correcting them as I go along. Eventually I'll just add the Fiendish Creature template.
I'm going over the Dire Template from Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors first. Here is the updated Dire Fighting Chicken.

DIRE FIGHTING CHICKEN
Medium-sized Animal (Dire)
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Speed: 30 ft., fly 15 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 natural armor, +3 Dex), Touch 13, Flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +2/+1
Attack: Claw with spur +5 melee (1d4-1 and 1d4)
Full Attack: 2 Claws with spurs +5 melee (1d4-1 and 1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: —
Saves: Fort +4, Ref + 6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +6
Feats: Weapon Finesse (claws), Flyby Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Any
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Level Adjustment —

Dire Fighting Chickens are fitted with metal spurs which cause an additional 1d4 points of damage.

And here is the Fiendish version as promised.

Fiendish Dire Fighting Chicken
Medium Magical Beast (Extraplanar) (Dire)
Attack: Claw with spur +5 melee (1d4-1 and 1d4)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +5 with spurs melee (1d4-1 and 1d4)
Special Attacks: Smite Good
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Resistance 5 to Cold and Fire, Spell Resistance 6
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 6
Environment: Any Evil Aligned Plane
Alignment: Any Evil
Level Adjustment —

Fiendish Dire Fighting Chickens are fitted with metal spurs which cause an additional 1d4 points of damage.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD total (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Design notes: You don't recalculate the skills for adding the Fiendish template even though the creature's Intelligence increases from 2 to 3.

I think it's complete now. What do you think?
Debby

Copacetic
2008-09-28, 04:21 PM
Right, seeing as I have as much crunch writing skill as a flea, I'll throw some ideas out for the different ranks of chickens.

Type I's: Seem good. Maybe give them the official title of She Who Cluck's Devoted? Or maybe just the Devoted, for short?

Type II's: Maybe an Orange color? And call them Tormentors, for good measure.

Type III's: Paint them black, and call them Pájaro de la muerte, the Birds of Death.

Type IV's: Green, and give them an acid attack. Destroyers?

Type V's: Maybe Overlords? I really don't have a good name for these chickens.

Type VI's: Seem good.

newbDM
2008-10-01, 05:39 PM
I can't tell you how much I hate that "new" stat block for critiquing monsters. But from what I can tell it looks pretty good. Granted, I would have gone a slightly different route but this is your critter :smallsmile:

What route would you have gone? I am sure your idea would be much better. Again, this is my first time homebrewing any montser, so I have no clue what I am doing.

I also realize that the way I stated it out it really doesn't seem demonish at all.

If you are going to use the Tanar'ri subtype then the chickens need all the features and traits that go along with it. [The Tanar'ri subtyp can be found in MM 3]. Right now you're missing the following:

Immunity to electricity and poison
Resistance to acid 10, cold 10 and fire 10
Summon (Sp): A Demonic Abyssal Chicken can summon a Fiendish Dire Chicken once a day
Telepathy (Su): Demonic Abyssal Chickens can communicate with any other creature within 100 ft. that speaks Abyssal or Chicken.

I thought I already added that?

The Tanar'ri are also in the MM1 if I recall.

Also, how do you decide how many other demons (and what type) a demon can summon when homebrewing one? It never went over that, or how to balance it to a CR in the MM1.

I was originally thinking of sidestepping the whole problem by making it so their forks can turn regular chickens. Was that a mad idea? Will having both abilities cause it to be too powerful?

And if I do large battles with them, and they each have the ability to summon another one chicken, would that uber unbalance things?

Fiendish Dire Chickens are slightly weaker:
Int 3, Darkvison 60 ft., no immunities, Resistance 5 only to cold and fire, spell resistance is equal to HD +5, but they get Smite Good (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD total (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Also, Demonic Abyssal Chickens can be found wandering the Prime Material Plane which is why they do not get all the subtypes of Demonic Abyssal Chickens. Fiendish Dire Chickens are simply: Magical Beast (Extraplanar). They have an evil alignment but do not get the Evil subtype. I thought they'd make good minions for Demonic Abyssal Chickens.

I found a dire chicken this posted a long time ago [on WotC's Chicken Challenge]. There were also some mistakes that I found and I'm correcting them as I go along. Eventually I'll just add the Fiendish Creature template.
I'm going over the Dire Template from Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors first. Here is the updated Dire Fighting Chicken.

DIRE FIGHTING CHICKEN
Medium-sized Animal (Dire)
Attacks: Claw +5 melee (1d4-1) and spur 1d4
Damage: 2 Claws +5 melee (1d4-1 and 1d4) and 2 spurs (1d4)
Special Qualities: —
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Environment: Any
Alignment: Neutral
Level Adjustment —

Dire Fighting Chickens are fitted with metal spurs which cause an additional 1d4 points of damage.

And here is the Fiendish version as promised.

Fiendish Dire Fighting Chicken
Medium Magical Beast (Extraplanar) (Dire)
Attacks: Claw +5 melee (1d4-1) and spur 1d4
Damage: 2 Claws +5 melee (1d4-1 and 1d4) and 2 spurs (1d4)
Special Attacks: Smite Good
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Resistance 5 to Cold and Fire, Spell Resistance 6
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 6
Environment: Any Evil Aligned Plane
Alignment: Any Evil
Level Adjustment —

Fiendish Dire Fighting Chickens are fitted with metal spurs which cause an additional 1d4 points of damage.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD total (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Design notes: You don't recalculate the skills for adding the Fiendish template even though the creature's Intelligence increases from 2 to 3.

I think it's complete now. What do you think?
Debby

Thank you so much for making this for me! Much appreciated.

So, you're saying make another level/rank of chickens below the level ones? And make them Fiendish only to represent their weakness?

I find it very interesting, but it kind of throws my whole rank system out of whack, since I was planning for the Level 1s to be the "minions" and low-level servents/soldiers.

Then again, I need to figure out what the Level Is can summon...

Debihuman
2008-10-02, 06:08 AM
I think you misunderstood me. Even level 1 are servitors but they would use the Fiendish Dire Fighting Chickens as fodder first.

Here is your Revamped Level 1 using the standard format. Unless they have the multiattack feat, the secondary attack is at -5. You have to decide which is the secondary attack. For this, I would guess the claws are secondary. They should be able to make a full attack with a peck and 2 claws at same time but they can't use their peck with the pitchfork as that is a reach weapon. The pitchfork should only be able to transform mundane chickens into fiendish dire fighting chickens. The various leveled chickens should probably have more power pitchforks.

I am under the impress that your chickens are ranked in power and that this is a caste-like oriented system. Level 2 chickens should probably have pitchfork that can transform any chicken into a Level 1 chicken. Is that what you had in mind? Perhaps your pitchforks should really be magical weapons rather than masterwork in keeping with standard item creation rules.

Level I chickens can be made by higher level chickens and from She Who Clucks but they shouldn't be able to make more of themselves. Since you already created craftercocks, it makes sense that they would make the spurs used by the fiendish dire fighting chickens. Also, chickens can fly just not well or far. I'm giving your chickens a fly of 5 ft. (clumsy) as a standard chicken ability.

As to the summon ability: I would simply have them summon a fiendish dire fighting chickens.

Here's to serendipity at work!

Level I, Female Abyssal Chicken
Tiny Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: 2d8+1 (11)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Fly 5 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 size, +7 Dex), Touch 19, Flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +2/-9
Attack: Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation¹ +10 melee (1d4-1/x2) or Peck +4 melee (1d3-1/x2) or Claw -1 melee (1d2-1/x2)
Full Attack: Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation¹ +10 melee (1d4-1/x2) or Peck +4 melee (1d3-1/x2) and 2 Claws -1 melee (1d2-1/x2)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft
Special Attacks: Transforms chickens into fiendish dire fighting chickens
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to electricity and poison, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10 and fire 10, summon Tanar'ri, Telepathy
Skills: Balance +12, Hide +13, Knowledge: (The Planes) +2, Listen +5, Move Silently +12, Profession: (Torturer/Tormenter) +5, Search +5, Spot +5, Survival +5
Feats: Underfoot Combat (B)[from Races of the Wild], Weapon Finesse (Pitchfork)
Organization: Solitary or with fiendish dire fighting chicken
Treasure: None (except for tiny pitchfork).
Alignment: Always chaotic evil

Level I demonic abyssal chickens appear as mundane white chickens but they each carry a tiny pitchfork under one wing.

Demonic abyssal chickens speak the language of chickens and Abyssal.

Summon Tanar'ri (Su): Once per day a demonic abyssal chicken can summon a fiendish dire fighting chicken.

Telepathy (Su): Demonic abyssal chickens can communicate telepathically with other creatures within 100 ft. that speak the language of chickens or Abyssal. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Sources:Monster Manual 1, Player's Handbook, Races of the Wild

Notes: The Level I chickens use a special Pitchfork crafted by males of their kind,the craftercocks. These pitchforks are made out of simple copper, though they are all masterwork quality. The pitchforks possess the supernatural ability to transform any mundane chicken into a Fiendish Dire Fighting Chicken. This is done by simply poking a chicken with the pitchfork. Once poked, this transformation takes a full round to complete (Note: Although they are transformed, they do not suddenly posses spurs from thin-air.).

Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation

Size Damage Crit. Weight Type

This masterwork copper pitchfork has the ability to turn a mundane chicken into a fiendish dire fighting chicken. These weapons are made by male abyssal craftercocks for use by level I demonic abyssal chickens. In the hands of anyone else, it is simply a Tiny masterwork pitchfork. A pitchfork has reach. If you use a ready action to set a pitchfork against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

Abyssal Chickens threat pitchforks as light weapons for the purpose of the Weapon Finesse feat.

What do you think?
Debby

newbDM
2008-10-06, 01:23 AM
First, let me say thank you for being so helpful and nice with my threads Debihuman. It is really appreciated!

Level I, Female Abyssal Chicken
Hit Dice: 2d8+1 (11)
Initiative: +7
BAB/Grapple: +2/-9
Attack:Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation¹ +10 melee (1d4-1/x2) or Peck +4 melee (1d3-1/x2) or Claw -1 melee (1d2-1/x2)
Full Attack: Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation¹ +10 melee (1d4-1/x2) or Peck +4 melee (1d3-1/x2) and 2 Claws -1 melee (1d2-1/x2)
Special Attacks: Transforms chickens into fiendish dire fighting chickens
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to electricity and poison, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10 and fire 10, summon Tanar'ri, Telepathy
Skills: Balance +12, Hide +13, Knowledge: (The Planes) +2, Listen +5, Move Silently +12, Profession: (Torturer/Tormenter) +5, Search +5, Spot +5, Survival +5
Feats: Underfoot Combat (B)[from Races of the Wild], Weapon Finesse (Pitchfork)
Organization: Solitary or with fiendish dire fighting chicken
Treasure: None (except for tiny pitchfork).

Level I demonic abyssal chickens appear as mundane white chickens but they each carry a tiny pitchfork under one wing.

Summon Tanar'ri (Su): Once per day a demonic abyssal chicken can summon a fiendish dire fighting chicken.

Telepathy (Su): Demonic abyssal chickens can communicate telepathically with other creatures within 100 ft. that speak the language of chickens or Abyssal. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Sources:Monster Manual 1, Player's Handbook, Races of the Wild

Notes: The Level I chickens use a special Pitchfork crafted by males of their kind,the craftercocks. These pitchforks are made out of simple copper, though they are all masterwork quality. The pitchforks possess the supernatural ability to transform any mundane chicken into a Fiendish Dire Fighting Chicken. This is done by simply poking a chicken with the pitchfork. Once poked, this transformation takes a full round to complete (Note: Although they are transformed, they do not suddenly posses spurs from thin-air.).

This masterwork copper pitchfork has the ability to turn a mundane chicken into a fiendish dire fighting chicken. These weapons are made by male abyssal craftercocks for use by level I demonic abyssal chickens. In the hands of anyone else, it is simply a Tiny masterwork pitchfork. A pitchfork has reach. If you use a ready action to set a pitchfork against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

What do you think?
Debby

One question, why are the claw attacks so low? I thought all natural weapons are considered light weapons for the Weapon Finesse feat?

And thank you for cleaning this up. That was nice of you to take the time for that.

I think you misunderstood me. Even level 1 are servitors but they would use the Fiendish Dire Fighting Chickens as fodder first.

Oh, I see. I guess I could always call them the Level 0s. That works.

And it gives a bit more diversity to the whole koop. I also really liked your idea of them roaming the material plane.

Here is your Revamped Level 1 using the standard format. Unless they have the multiattack feat, the secondary attack is at -5. You have to decide which is the secondary attack. For this, I would guess the claws are secondary. They should be able to make a full attack with a peck and 2 claws at same time but they can't use their peck with the pitchfork as that is a reach weapon.

Yeah, I meant for the peck to be the mane weapon. My bad.

And damn, I forgot that the pitchforks were reach when it comes to using them in the same square. However, since they are tiny size, and a medium sized humanoid would still be extremely tall compared to them, would it be a stretch to say/houserule that they can still use them while in the square of a creature two size categories bigger than them?

The pitchfork should only be able to transform mundane chickens into fiendish dire fighting chickens. The various leveled chickens should probably have more power pitchforks.

I am under the impress that your chickens are ranked in power and that this is a caste-like oriented system. Level 2 chickens should probably have pitchfork that can transform any chicken into a Level 1 chicken. Is that what you had in mind? Perhaps your pitchforks should really be magical weapons rather than masterwork in keeping with standard item creation rules.

That is a great idea. It works quite we in my opinion. Plus, this could explains how chickens go up in rank. When some die and leave a void in the ranks, the higher level ones right above them (going all the way up to the Level 6s if necessary) "promote" chickens from a level lower (than the dead one) by sticking them with their forks. It's brilliant!

As for why I did not want to make them magical, I really did not want my players to end up with a ton of magic weapons. Since even the low level ones have pitchforks, and since all magic weapons automatically resize for bigger or smaller creatures, they would end up with a ton of expensive +1 pitchforks (It says here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) that they would need at least a +1 enhancement bonus, so they would each be worth 2000gp). Plus I am playing in a militarish campaign where the PCs have a large number of followers, so their forces would get a serious boost from this.

Also, I kinda figured that it would not make sense for the average bottom rank soldiers to all have +1 magic weapons (I believe all magic weapons need to be +1 before having any other properties).

Was I wrong in my thinking?

Level I chickens can be made by higher level chickens and from She Who Clucks but they shouldn't be able to make more of themselves. Since you already created craftercocks, it makes sense that they would make the spurs used by the fiendish dire fighting chickens. Also, chickens can fly just not well or far.

I have been wondering, where can I find these spurs you equipped the fiendish dire chickens with?

As to the summon ability: I would simply have them summon a fiendish dire fighting chickens.

But since I plan on using them in numbers, will this unbalance things?

I would also like to know how to properly calculate this, since I still need to make five more monsters like this one, and since I will probably need to make new demons at some time in the future.

Also, chickens can fly just not well or far. I'm giving your chickens a fly of 5 ft. (clumsy) as a standard chicken ability.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.

I guess that means Bock-Boock!!! is subservient to Pazuzu after all?

Granted, I would have gone a slightly different route but this is your critter :smallsmile:

I would still love to now what route you would have taken for these guys.

I am starting to feel that these guys are not really demonish at all, and that I made them really substandard.

Plus, I still need to make five more levels of these guys, and I have no idea how to proceed.

p.s. Oh, and I just realized that no one has commented on their CR yet. Is it appropriate? Too low? Or maybe too high (I doubt this, though)?

newbDM
2008-10-14, 12:09 AM
I am really sorry to bump this thread, but I have not been able to go any further with this. I have no idea of where to go from this.

Anyone have some tips for enhancing these to the CR6 level? The whole monster creating idea confuses the hell out of me, and I have no idea how to just slap together a demon. Honestly, all I truly did with the one above (the only monster I have ever made) was make a tiny melee character/NPC/combatant. What really has me confused is how to assign abilities and specially qualities, and how to balance them to a CR (not very descriptive about that in the DMG). And I guess I really haven't been able to come up with a "concept" for the higher level critter to "describe in a few words/sentence to base the creature off", so I guess this is halting the process?

Baron Corm
2008-10-15, 10:52 AM
Demons don't always have to be all fire and skulls. Take arrow demons for example. All they are is 4-armed humanoids, but they seem demonic just because of their description.

Lean and wiry, this four-armed creature holds two powerful longbows in its left arms and draws the strings back in parallel with its right arms. The massive arrows notched in the bows draw the eye, and the emaciated limbs with which it holds its twin bows obviously conceal an abyssal strength. The creature's gray skin is oily and moist, and it is entirely hairless. The creature's long legs end in four-jointed toes, and it grips the ground as it walks.

It then goes on to describe how arrow demons are very useful in abyssal wars and as servants to demon summoners. Arrow demon abilities are solely archer-related, save for their basic tanar'ri traits. So basically, if you want a demon, give it tanar'ri traits, and describe it as foul (pun intended). If you want an easy way to make up a readable stat block go here (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php).

If you want your chickens to have abilities to make them all unique, I can't really help with helping you make them, but let me throw out some ideas:

Pitchforks (tridents):
Level I: +1 flaming
Level II: +2 unholy
Level III: +4 speed, returning
Level IV: +6 ghost touch, brilliant energy, spell-storing
Level V: +8 flaming burst, vorpal, keen
Level VI: +10 unholy power, wounding

Abilities:
Level I (tiny): All low stats; explode on death, dealing fire damage
Level II (tiny): All mediocre stats; explode on death, dealing negative energy damage, vile damage, or negative levels
Level III (small): High Dexterity; fast flying speed, like to throw pitchforks instead of melee
Level IV (small): High mental stats; incorporeal, spell-like abilities
Level V (large): High Strength and Constitution; damage reduction
Level VI (medium): All high stats; moderate flying speed, all unique individuals so you decide special abilities

Starting with Level IV they have epic weapons, but that doesn't necessarily make them an epic CR. They're CHICKENS for godssake, so they need the weapons to make up for that fact. Using the basic chicken template from Debi's, you'd just have to change the stats for each chicken to match what I said above, give them an amount of HD equal to their weapon's enhancement bonus (so 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20), give them those abilities, and then their CR should equal their HD. As Debi said it's your monster though so feel free to change any/all of this as you like :smalltongue:. Sometimes I get carried away.

As for why I did not want to make them magical, I really did not want my players to end up with a ton of magic weapons. Since even the low level ones have pitchforks, and since all magic weapons automatically resize for bigger or smaller creatures, they would end up with a ton of expensive +1 pitchforks (It says here that they would need at least a +1 enhancement bonus, so they would each be worth 2000gp). Plus I am playing in a militarish campaign where the PCs have a large number of followers, so their forces would get a serious boost from this.

Also, I kinda figured that it would not make sense for the average bottom rank soldiers to all have +1 magic weapons (I believe all magic weapons need to be +1 before having any other properties).

Was I wrong in my thinking?

Make the pitchforks attuned to the chicken. It has that power because it is with the chicken, not because it is that powerful. Any pitchfork that chicken picks up has that power. And that's how the pitchfork is automatically upgraded when the chicken is transformed to a higher rank.

Debihuman
2008-10-19, 06:06 AM
First, let me say thank you for being so helpful and nice with my threads Debihuman. It is really appreciated!

You're welcome. I had fun doing it.

One question, why are the claw attacks so low? I thought all natural weapons are considered light weapons for the Weapon Finesse feat?

Claws seemed like daggers. The penalty for Str applies to damage as Weapon Finesse only allows you to substitute Dex for Str on attacks.

And thank you for cleaning this up. That was nice of you to take the time for that.

Oh, I see. I guess I could always call them the Level 0s. That works.

And it gives a bit more diversity to the whole koop. I also really liked your idea of them roaming the material plane.

I had some ideas that I thought would work and I'm glad you liked them too.

Yeah, I meant for the peck to be the mane weapon. My bad.

Not bad at all, just inexperienced.

And damn, I forgot that the pitchforks were reach when it comes to using them in the same square. However, since they are tiny size, and a medium sized humanoid would still be extremely tall compared to them, would it be a stretch to say/houserule that they can still use them while in the square of a creature two size categories bigger than them?

Technically according to the Rules Compendium, Tiny creatures with reach weapons don't threaten on 5 feet so you don't need to house rule it at all. The DMG seems to differ on this but I think it wouldn't matter. I still wouldn't allow a peck and reach weapon even if the creature is Tiny.

I'm glad you liked the idea of promoting the chickens by using the pitchfork. I still think you should reconsider making the pitchforks magical and as far as I can tell magical weapons don't magically resize. At least not that I could see (unless I somehow missed it). Like other magical weapons, they aren't necessarily magical in the hands of just anyone. You can make them useable only by Demonic Abyssal chickens.

I have been wondering, where can I find these spurs you equipped the fiendish dire chickens with?

Since you made up the craftercocks, I just made that up. These are simply metal spurs which fit over the claws for additional damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfight

But since I plan on using them in numbers, will this unbalance things?

Not likely but you could see how they work as a swarm but that would definitely change the Challenge Rating.

I would also like to know how to properly calculate this, since I still need to make five more monsters like this one, and since I will probably need to make new demons at some time in the future.

I kinda guess and compare to other creatures whenever I make monsters since there really isn't a formula for it.

I guess that means Bock-Boock!!! is subservient to Pazuzu after all?

Only as far as hierarcy goes but realistically Pazuzu probably doesn't care what the chicken does as long as Bock-Bock doesn't interfere with Pazuzu's plans. It's kinda hard to see where that would happen much.

Debby

newbDM
2008-10-28, 06:17 PM
Demons don't always have to be all fire and skulls. Take arrow demons for example. All they are is 4-armed humanoids, but they seem demonic just because of their description.

It then goes on to describe how arrow demons are very useful in abyssal wars and as servants to demon summoners. Arrow demon abilities are solely archer-related, save for their basic tanar'ri traits. So basically, if you want a demon, give it tanar'ri traits, and describe it as foul (pun intended). If you want an easy way to make up a readable stat block go here (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php).

Thank you so much for this advice. I guess I was under the impression that creatures like demons/devils needed to fit a certain criteria to "fit".

If you want your chickens to have abilities to make them all unique, I can't really help with helping you make them, but let me throw out some ideas:

Pitchforks (tridents):
Level I: +1 flaming
Level II: +2 unholy
Level III: +4 speed, returning
Level IV: +6 ghost touch, brilliant energy, spell-storing
Level V: +8 flaming burst, vorpal, keen
Level VI: +10 unholy power, wounding

Abilities:
Level I (tiny): All low stats; explode on death, dealing fire damage
Level II (tiny): All mediocre stats; explode on death, dealing negative energy damage, vile damage, or negative levels
Level III (small): High Dexterity; fast flying speed, like to throw pitchforks instead of melee
Level IV (small): High mental stats; incorporeal, spell-like abilities
Level V (large): High Strength and Constitution; damage reduction
Level VI (medium): All high stats; moderate flying speed, all unique individuals so you decide special abilities

Starting with Level IV they have epic weapons, but that doesn't necessarily make them an epic CR. They're CHICKENS for godssake, so they need the weapons to make up for that fact. Using the basic chicken template from Debi's, you'd just have to change the stats for each chicken to match what I said above, give them an amount of HD equal to their weapon's enhancement bonus (so 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20), give them those abilities, and then their CR should equal their HD. As Debi said it's your monster though so feel free to change any/all of this as you like :smalltongue:. Sometimes I get carried away.

Make the pitchforks attuned to the chicken. It has that power because it is with the chicken, not because it is that powerful. Any pitchfork that chicken picks up has that power. And that's how the pitchfork is automatically upgraded when the chicken is transformed to a higher rank.

Those are some great ideas.

I really love the bomber chicken idea. Come on, I can even play old WW2 bomber sounds on my Mackbook. :smallbiggrin:

You're welcome. I had fun doing it.

Cool. :smallsmile:

Claws seemed like daggers. The penalty for Str applies to damage as Weapon Finesse only allows you to substitute Dex for Str on attacks.

Oops! My mad. I forgot about that.

Technically according to the Rules Compendium, Tiny creatures with reach weapons don't threaten on 5 feet so you don't need to house rule it at all. The DMG seems to differ on this but I think it wouldn't matter. I still wouldn't allow a peck and reach weapon even if the creature is Tiny.

Understood. I won't allow it then.

I'm glad you liked the idea of promoting the chickens by using the pitchfork. I still think you should reconsider making the pitchforks magical and as far as I can tell magical weapons don't magically resize. At least not that I could see (unless I somehow missed it). Like other magical weapons, they aren't necessarily magical in the hands of just anyone. You can make them useable only by Demonic Abyssal chickens.

Will do. I am gonna reread this thread, and make them magical.

And I will just make it as they don't resize, or if they do there will be soem restriction as to how to use them. I just added Chicken to my homebrewed in case a party member rolls.

Maybe to use a fork, you need to have consumed xlbs of chicken/fried chicken within the last 24 hours, so it is in your system?

I am quite certain one, possibly two, of my players are very likely to fry these guys (or should I say gals?).

Since you made up the craftercocks, I just made that up. These are simply metal spurs which fit over the claws for additional damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfight

Oh, I see. Sorry about that. I did not know what they were. I thought they were another for of pitchfork, or reach weapon for some reason.

Also, that is an awesome idea! I love it. Such an interesting way for a PC to go. :smallbiggrin:

Not likely but you could see how they work as a swarm but that would definitely change the Challenge Rating.

Hmmm. Maybe if a PC beats on a chicken for too long, which has an amazingly large number of XP for some unknown reason, a swarm of these guys suddenly appears from all angles to attack said PC?

And perhaps they only leave when you enter a building or a significantly different area?

I kinda guess and compare to other creatures whenever I make monsters since there really isn't a formula for it.

I see. I guess this will only come with time.

Only as far as hierarcy goes but realistically Pazuzu probably doesn't care what the chicken does as long as Bock-Bock doesn't interfere with Pazuzu's plans. It's kinda hard to see where that would happen much.

Oh, my bad. I was under the impression that he ruled and controlled all flying creatures in the abyss.

Or was it only the top/roof of each layer, which means all the creatures who spend time up there? I will try to research the guy a bit more to see what his goals are.

Anyway, I finally finished converting my test models for these fellows:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/MyLv1chickens.png
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/MyLv1chickens2.png

I need to find some better copper paint for the Lv.1 pitchforks, but other than that I like how they are coming out.

Debihuman
2008-10-28, 09:13 PM
I love the miniatures of the chickens with the pitchforks. They look great.

My own take wth demonic chickens would have followed adding templates at each level: chicken, dire chicken, fiendish dire chicken, Monster of Legend fiendish dire chicken (which gives the chicken the outsider subtype) and so forth. As long as the templates could stack, I would add them. I didn't really have much of a plan.

As for Panzuzu, you might want to look here:
http://marq.wikispaces.com/Pazuzu

"Panzuzu's goals are very different from most of his fellow demons. He does not share the common fascination with conquering the Abyss. His main concern is winning followers on the Material Plane by tempting those of good alignment. He aids any good creature that summons him in order to tempt them to do evil. He is said to be on good terms with the yugoloths and the Archdukes of Hell."

"Panzuzu is the lord of all evil flying creatures. He is usually worshiped by individuals rather than churches. His worshipers include kenku, harpies, gargoyles, wyverns, and sometimes evil fey and dragons. His temples are usually found in places accessible only from the air such as atop cliffs, in the middle of dense wilderness, or on mountain peaks."

Bock-Boock!!! probably acknowledges Panzuzu as Lord of evil flying creatures but chickens aren't the best flyers (usually) so they aren't much on his radar. Other bird-like races (harpies, kenku, etc.) probably don't take demonic chickens seriously until they reach significant power. Then it becomes a matter of "keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer" and it probably makes for some strange alliances.

Debby

aaron_the_cow
2008-10-30, 06:23 PM
maby you can have the chickens explode, but leave behind a floating fully cooked chicken. jucyness is determened by chicken level.

Debihuman
2008-10-31, 09:54 AM
If the chicken explodes, it doesn't leave behind a full carcass. The feathers might have a blinding effect.

Here is a Level II, Female Demonic Abyssal Chicken. It is only slightly stronger than a Level I but I added the Death Throes.

I think that the Level I should not advance unless it becomes a Level 2. Note that the pitchfork is magical now. What do you think?

Level II, Female Demonic Abyssal Chicken
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22)
Initiative: +11 (+7 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
BAB/Grapple: +4/-5
Attack: +1 Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation¹ +14 melee (1d4+1/x2) or Peck +6 melee (1d3/x2) or Claw +1 melee (1d2/x2)
Full Attack: +1 Pitchfork of Chicken Transformation¹ +14 melee (1d4+1/x2) or Peck +6 melee (1d3/x2) and 2 Claws +1 melee (1d2/x2)
Special Attacks: Transforms fiendish dire fighting chickens into Level I abyssal chickens, death throes, spurs.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +11, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 25, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +12, Hide +13, Knowledge: (The Planes) +10, Listen +5, Move Silently +12, Profession: (Torturer/Tormenter) +7, Search +7, Spot +7, Survival +7
Feats: Underfoot Combat (B)[from Races of the Wild], Weapon Finesse (Pitchfork), Improved Initiative
Organization: Solitary or with level 1 demonic abyssal chicken and fiendish dire fighting chicken
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None (except for tiny pitchfork)
Advancement: none or by transformation to level III.

Level II demonic abyssal chickens appear as mundane white chickens but they each carry a tiny pitchfork under one wing.

Death Throes (Ex): When a Level II demonic abyssal chicken is killed, it explodes in a cloud of feathers and sulfur, blinding everyone within 30 feet for 1d4 rounds (Reflex negates DC 15). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Summon Tanar'ri (Su): Once per day a level II demonic abyssal chicken can summon a level I demonic abyssal chicken.

Spurs: 50% of all Level II demonic abyssal chickens wear spurs on their claws. These spurs do an additional 1d4 points of piercing damage.

Sources: Monster Manual 1, Player's Handbook, Races of the Wild

Notes: The Level II chickens use a special +1 magical Pitchfork crafted by males of their kind, the craftercocks. These pitchforks are made out of simple copper, though they are all magical. The pitchforks possess the supernatural ability to transform any fiendish dire fighting chicken into a level I demonic abyssal chicken. This is done by simply poking a chicken with the pitchfork. Once poked, this transformation takes a full round to complete.

This magical copper pitchfork has the ability to turn a fiendish dire fighting chicken into a level I demonic abyssal chicken. These weapons are made by male abyssal craftercocks for use by level II demonic abyssal chickens. In the hands of anyone else, it is simply a Tiny +1 magical pitchfork. A pitchfork has reach. If you use a ready action to set a pitchfork against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.