PDA

View Full Version : Martyrdom, COD4

Stormthorn
2008-09-25, 08:54 PM
I dont own COD 4, but a i plan to, which means i research. Im looking online at perks and weapons trying to decide how i will play once i get the game.

And i came across a lot of people arguing about the perk Martyrdom.

I want the opinion of the Playground. For the purposes of this discussion i have included a real world example of what i dont want you to talk like. Talking like the below (either for or against the perk) will not help you get your point across.

LOL qq more you suck nuts then wtf if your the 95% of the that gets killed by martydom then put it in your sig because your a nub

P.S. Yes, he really typed that. A real person took the time to write this.

Prophaniti
2008-09-25, 09:18 PM
I played the game through a few times solo. Don't do multiplayer much, but I can see where that'd be annoying.

Really, I got all the amusement I'll ever need out of the game when I unlocked Ragtime Warfare.:smallbiggrin:

Neon Knight
2008-09-25, 10:05 PM
Martyrdom is a nasty little trick. When you die, you drop a live grenade. Occasionally, you can claim an opponent who was too close to you when you died.

The only way to escape is either a)kill him from far away, or b)sprint. You can escape the blast radius. Usually.

Sometimes you just can't help but get nailed by it. Explosions, enemy fire, the terrain, grenades, being out of sprint, and even other martyrdom grenades from multiple dead martyrs can create an inescapable death trap.

There is no shame in dying to martyrdom, unless you just stand there when you can clearly see and hear the grenade fall from his corpse. For the most part, CoD4 is a pretty tough game multiplayer wise.

Traikan
2008-09-25, 11:42 PM
I'm not a fan of martyrdom, if only because you can drop a grenade even if you're out of them. (And I find the fluff of it disturbing, "I'll keep this grenade ready in case I get shot!")

However, I don't have a problem with people using it if, and only if, friendly fire is disabled in the server. When one guy drops and half the team follows him it isn't fun.

Kane
2008-09-25, 11:59 PM
When my friends and I first started CoD4, I whored (read: abused endlessly) the grenadier, and the grenade launcher that came with that. Anyway, in the rare occasions that someone managed to kill me without dying. (I was REALLY GOOD with that grenade launcher), they would tend to run forward, try to get my gun, and die messily. Same for me if I killed someone else with the martyr ability. Anyway, it works, but it doesn't seem particularly effective to me. Except for say, shipment. [the map]

Shipment is god. Play that map with as many people as possible.
Do it.

Er, yah. Anyway, it's not horrible, though some of the others seem much better to me. The only one I don't think it's all that great for is the survivalist, who, I think, gets a shotgun and the martyr. If you can kill them with your martyr grenade, you really should have gotten them with the shotty...

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-26, 12:25 AM
Really, I got all the amusement I'll ever need out of the game when I unlocked Ragtime Warfare.:smallbiggrin:

Really the greatest thing ever. If you haven't unlocked this yet, YOU NEED TO.

RTGoodman
2008-09-26, 12:35 AM
Do it.

Indeed.

To be more on-topic, I hate Martyrdom and think it's for n00bs, but it and Shipment combine for my group of friends' favorite multi-player setting. (You see, since I don't have Live right now, and CoD4 is lacking in different game types that don't involve territories or whatever, we just pick various weapons, perks, and maps and try stuff out.)

Here's one of the most fun games ever. Get 4 players and go to Split-Screen and set the map to Shipment. Change Health and Regeneration to be Minimum and Off. Turn off Air Support, leave Perks on, and turn Sprint OFF. You'll probably want to turn the kills needed to win to a higher setting. When you start the game, everyone has to use the Defender class (with the M1014 shotgun and Martyrdom). The Rules: Everyone just walks around (no Sprinting, remember), using only the M1014 (no pistol, no thrown 'nades, etc.). It's CRAZY.

Other fun custom games - All Knives, All Pistols and No Health, All Rockets, All Knives and One Life Only, and a bunch of others. Shipment is the BEST map for any split-screen game.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-09-26, 10:33 PM
Eh, martyrdom is alright, but only useful if you're playing unskilled (or occassionally unlucky) players. Most people will kill a guy, wait the half second to see if they hear a grenade drop, and wait if they do. If you stab them or kill them from close range, the indicator will pop up and you can simply keep on running. Occassionally you will get caught inbetween 2 grenades or get caught on a wall but that's rare.

Kimusabe
2008-09-27, 06:37 PM
Martyrdom is quite good in my opinion, I haven't played much Online Multiplayed with COD4, but every time I have, scince I started using Martyrdom, I've gotten at least two kills each game from it, once I got eleven in one match :smallsmile:

But there are better skills, I can't actually remember which ones are the really good ones, but They all work better for different people and different playing styles.

Were-Sandwich
2008-09-28, 04:02 AM
Never saw the point of martyrdom. Why use up a perk slot on something that only works when you *die*, when you could use it on a perk that helps you kill people and therefore not die as often.

Studoku
2008-09-28, 07:12 AM
Never saw the point of martyrdom. Why use up a perk slot on something that only works when you *die*, when you could use it on a perk that helps you kill people and therefore not die as often.
Most of the tier 3 perks are either useless (iron lungs, extreme conditioning, eavesdrop) or annoying (last stand or martyrdumb).

evisiron
2008-09-28, 08:34 AM
Haha, yeah, unless you really want to tick people off, never take this while friendly fire is on!

Personally, I don't mind if people take it, buts its not for me. I prefer its cooler cousin, Last Stand, for the slot. There is something infinitely special about getting shot, dropping, and then nailing 3 players with as many head shots as they continue fighting over your body. :smallbiggrin:

DrizztFan24
2008-09-29, 03:41 PM
In my opinion, Martydom is good in only one ocassion...flag capture. If they ahve a bunch of guys holding the area and you run in with the sole purpose of dying for you martydom...then your set. Otherwise Last stand is far better and martydom grenades are easily thrown against oponents. Anyone is able to throw a martydom grenade with relative ease and safety.

late for dinner
2008-10-16, 11:46 AM
Not gonna lie, I absolutly despise martyrdom. It is so annoying and everyone and their mom takes it. I personaly really like Extreme Conditioning so I can run farther and get in the action faster...cause if there is one thing I hate more than martyrdom, its campers with snipers, which call of duty 4 is full of. they grab martyrdom, a .50 cal, claymores and take over a room with a good view. it's annoying and cheesy. Ak47 red dot scope all the way.

Mr._Blinky
2008-10-16, 02:27 PM
Most of the tier 3 perks are either useless (iron lungs, extreme conditioning, eavesdrop) or annoying (last stand or martyrdumb).

Um, Extreme Conditioning and Iron Lungs are actually both quite useful. Extreme Conditioning allows you to either run away faster, or get to the action quicker, which is especially useful on Domination when you need to run to keep the enemy from taking your control point.

Iron Lungs is extremely useful for sniping. If you've got an enemy ducking behind a wall, and you want to snipe him, Iron Lungs allows you to just keep zoomed on the exact spot that much longer to wait for the shot. Also, it gives you a lot more time to line up your shot, which is extremely useful if you're going for Expert challenges on that weapon.

Vazzaroth
2008-10-18, 05:29 PM
Do it.

Oh god, unless you are simply farming XP to level up, please dont. (But if you do want to farm XP, Get a LMG, BACK UP when you spawn, and you get millions of kills! Until Martyrdom pops up... which bring me to this point= ) I love Martyrdom. It's really, really good IMO, and, omg... BALANCED. No really. I believe it is because as pointed out it's really audible and not hard to out run. In Hardcore mode (I play there most. Why is everyone invincible in Standard! Regen-ing health = the worst thing I've ever heard of in an Online FPS. ) it's a bit more difficult, but you shouldn't be rushing in there anyway. Probably the cheapest way to die to Martyrdom is if you flashbang a room, get your hearing messed up, kill a blind guy with it, can't hear it drop, and therefor you don't GTFO. But if things didn't have counters, it's not really balanced.

Also, it appears a number of people are talking about the game on the consoles. :smallyuk: I have no idea how it is on PS3 or Xbox. I don't find it hard to sprint away from an Enemy I've knifed on the PC really quick when I hear the plink, but generally controllers a bit less responsive for snap-judgment things like that so I dunno.

The point is: Don't play shipment on PC. The smallest amount of people I've seen in a game on that map is like 20, maybe the consoles have a better player-number restriction or something.

Bigfreekb
2008-10-19, 04:02 PM
Martyrdom is generally frowned apon in hardcore mode, which is the only one I can comment on because it's all I play. I prefer last stand because unless you get sniped 4 or 5 times out of 10 you can take out the guy that shot you. And none of your allies die either which is always a plus, compared to Martydom where more often than not the people that get caught in the blast are the guys on your team. Bear in mind on hardcore all damage and blast radius are increased which means unless you are close to the edge of the radius you will get caught in it, especially if you knife the guy.

Of course, I don't claim to be the greatest player so maybe I just suck at hearing the grenade drop.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-21, 08:58 AM
Ak47 red dot scope all the way.

:smallyuk: Obviously religious....spray and pray :smalltongue:

I can't stand that gun...so inaccurate....it hurts....

but yea martydom is rather tough on Xbox...you barely have enough time to chuck the nade if you knifed the guy...it blows up about 10 feet away in the air....

and yes Xbox does have player restrictions, less than 20 too....