PDA

View Full Version : "We could barely see it as it moved, but it was horrific..." [Creature]

Icewalker
2008-09-26, 12:27 AM
Inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synovial_membrane)

"It was so fast. We could barely see it as it moved, but it was horrific...just flashes of white, sliding and slashing noises and the spray of my companion's blood as it moved past them."

Synovial Freak
Medium Undead
HD 6d12 (39 HP)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares);
Init: +11
AC 21; touch 18; flat-footed 13
(+3 Natural, +7 Dex, +1 haste)
BAB/Grp +3/+5
Attack Bone Blade +11 (1d8+2)
Full-Attack 3 Bone Blades +9 (1d8+2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Adrenaline Rush
Special Qualities Undead Traits, Synovial Fluid, Natural Haste, Blur
Saves Fort +2 Ref +10 Will +5
Abilities Str 14, Dex 24, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 12
Skills Escape Artist +27
Feats Improved Initiative(B), Two-Weapon Fighting(B), Dodge(B), Mobility(B), Weapon Finesse(B)
Organization Solitary or Joint Wave (3-12)
Challenge Rating 6
Alignment always Chaotic Evil
Advancement 7-10 (Medium), 11-20 (Large)

The creature before you is vaguely humanoid, extremely tall and thin, made of some white flesh brought to an animated form. It oozes a viscious liquid, and suddenly twitches, a flashing movement faster than your eye can follow. The ends of its arm-appendages are spikes of bone, sharpened to a gleam.

Adrenaline Rush: Once per day as a free action a Synovial Freak can activate it's Adrenaline Rush ability. This functions mechanically as if the spell Haste was cast on the undead. It lasts 6 rounds and stacks with the Synovial Freak's Natural Haste ability. This is not a magical effect, but a chemical shift in the creature's body.

Synovial Fluid: This undead's body drips with synovial fluid, one of the most slippery substances in existence. A Synovial Freak may has a natural +20 bonus on Escape Artist checks, and may automatically take 20 on these checks even if threatened or grappled.

Natural Haste: Synovial Freak's slide through the air at incredible speeds, with supernatural reflexes and attacks. Synovial Freak's function as if constantly under the effects of a Haste spell. This stacks with the Synovial Freak's ability Adrenaline Rush. The stat changes from Natural Haste are included in the statistics block.

Blur: Because of the Synovial Freak's speed and fluidity of movement, when moving at full speed they can barely been seen, making attacking them a challenging thing indeed. If a Synovial Freak moves at least 60 ft. during their round they are treated as having concealment.

[hr]
Physics inspired, actually. Learning about friction, it was referenced, got the inspiration. I'll likely be back tomorrow to add another creature here, Synovial Ooze.

Not sure about the CR, I got 5 and 2/3rds from VT's calculator.

Lappy9000
2008-09-26, 06:13 AM
Hey good job, that's pretty cool!

Organization Solitary or Joint Wave (3-12)

?

Icewalker
2008-09-26, 09:58 AM
I've always been fond of organization names. Synovial fluid/tissue is in all your joints, by the way. It's one of the most frictionless substances we know of.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-26, 11:18 AM
It's one of the most frictionless substances we know of.

Yeah, it's not quite Teflon, but it's kinda close.

As for the CR, I'd say CR6 is appropriate, given it's frightening speed, camoflage, & slipperiness, which largely prevents PC's from slowing it down with a grapple. Other than that, great job, Icewalker. This is one undead that belongs on the Elemental Plane of Flesh.

Icewalker
2008-09-26, 06:16 PM
That was one of my thoughts when I made it, yeah. Just gotta change the type to elemental. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, it has significantly less friction than teflon on teflon. That has friction coefficients of 0.04, whereas synovial fluid has 0.01 and 0.003.

Added another line to the description, because I didn't mention the bone blades.

afroakuma
2008-09-26, 06:20 PM
You should list the special abilities/qualities with their classifications (Ex) (Su) (Sp) and the like.

Icewalker
2008-09-26, 09:21 PM
Right, I never know what to do with those...I need to read into them some more.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-26, 11:45 PM
Right, I never know what to do with those...I need to read into them some more.

Here you go. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#specialAbilities)

Icewalker
2008-09-27, 02:11 AM
Ah, thank you.

SilentNight
2008-09-27, 10:11 AM
Very nice job. Amazingly original.