PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Temptation

LibraryOgre
2008-09-26, 12:40 AM
Ok, so I'm playing a wizard in Keep on the Shadowfell, and he's a bit of a jerk. Steals from the party, and a bit smarter about it than our thief (who, this game, attempted to hide a great axe in her backpack). However, I'vve been playing the jerk, and he's getting more and more jerky... so I'm playing with why. I figure the Big Bad of the KotS is influencing him... tempting him with offers of power and the like, if he betrays his friends companions.

This is entirely me-directed. The DM likes the idea, but he's leaving it up to me. Of course, one of my big criteria is "How likely am I to get caught?" If I'm going to get caught, or it will be pointless, well, I'm not going to do it (which is why I checked to see if the secret door could be opened from the inside before I shut them inside). However, I want to leave an element of chance to this... he's not going to be a jerk just for the heck of it, even if he's got a good chance.

Any suggestions on how I should randomize my betrayal of the party?

BobVosh
2008-09-26, 12:52 AM
You want to ...PLAN... your randomizing

LibraryOgre
2008-09-26, 01:12 AM
You want to ...PLAN... your randomizing

Precisely. I'm almost a rogue modron on this.

If I leave it solely up to me, my betrayals will be petty. If I put a bit of dicework into any time I see a possible trick, then it's less in my hands, and I'm more willing to screw them like a drunken sorority girl.

I wish I could pull off this level of bastardry, but I don't think I'll be able to. (http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php?date=2003-09-24)

Yakk
2008-09-26, 10:17 AM
If I'm going to get caught, or it will be pointless, well, I'm not going to do it (which is why I checked to see if the secret door could be opened from the inside before I shut them inside).
Strange. I'd take this as a chance to generate an opponent for the rest of your party to defeat, as a player.

Ie, work against your character -- your goal is to have your character be defeated by the party in an interesting way.

Done right, this should make everyone have lots of fun -- you have fun, because you get to arrange the downfall of your character. The party has fun, because they get a victory over the forces of evil. And your DM has fun, especially if you bring him in on the plan.

I see this as being a far cooler and more fun bit of plotting than "I screwed the other characters, and got away with it". :-) And the best part is, the rest of your party doesn't even have to know!

Hmm... if you can arrange it, having the incompetent thief be the key to foiling your attempt to bring darkness over the world would be even better.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-26, 10:21 AM
I agree with Yakk - if you're going to pull a Face Heel Turn, it's better to lose in a fun way than to win by a sudden, deus ex machina betrayal that will only cause frustration to the others.

I wish I could pull off this level of bastardry, but I don't think I'll be able to. (http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php?date=2003-09-24)

That bald guy would have a nose full of d4s if I was there.