PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] OOTS to B5 character parallels.

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-26, 09:11 AM
Okay guys, we know that Rich Burlew admits to being a fan of the Straczynskian mode of storytelling (as pioneered in Babylon 5), so let's try working out any and all parallels between characters in Babylon 5 and Order of the Stick...

Some basic suggestions for you:

Alfred Bester=Daimyo Kubota- both of these characters seem to work from within the rules to an extent, using a thin veneer of legality to cover over their shadier and less legal dealings.

Mr Morden=Redcloak- These guys both seem to function as a stereotypical 'evil number 2 dude', either marshalling their respective forces or acting as a go-between for their evil masters.

Okay, there's a start... knock yourselves out (not literally though)...

Chronos
2008-09-26, 10:34 AM
Eh, I'm not really seeing either of those. Bester was never ambitious: While he was working for the Corps, he was always looking out for the advancement of the Corps, not of himself. And when his personal priorities overrode his loyalty to the Corps, he was still able to ally himself with those with common (or at least non-conflicting) goals, and only sought personal power in so far as it would help his other goals. He never had any objection to anyone else achieving their goals.

And Morden was a Hollow Man. He has no real personality of his own; he's just a puppet of the Shadows. Redcloak may be under Xykon's control, but he's still no sycophant.

If I were to compare Redcloak to anyone from Babylon 5, it would be Londo. Both have sunk to unimaginable depravity, for the sake of what they think is the good of their people. It remains to be seen, however, whether Redcloak will see redemption.

MReav
2008-09-26, 10:40 AM
Yes, the Redcloak/Londo connection is big.

I just wonder if O-Chul is going to become G'Kar in that case.

Kato
2008-09-26, 11:02 AM
I just wonder if O-Chul is going to become G'Kar in that case.

Hehe, they already share some similarities. Just the awesomeness is enough.

Though, it's has been such a long time I can hardly remember much from B5... So no idea who might fit anyone... (Maybe one, will V gain ultimate power by being touched by the vorlons, as Lyta?)

Grey Watcher
2008-09-26, 12:03 PM
Hehe, they already share some similarities. Just the awesomeness is enough.

Though, it's has been such a long time I can hardly remember much from B5... So no idea who might fit anyone... (Maybe one, will V gain ultimate power by being touched by the vorlons, as Lyta?)

True, except Lyta... Hey, this oughta be spoilered in case anyon new to the series is reading... Lyta was touched by Vorlons first then went on to gain superpowers in their service.

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-26, 12:33 PM
Apologies for previous lack of spoilers.

Something of a more straightforward parallel now: Roy-Sheridan (both fit the epitome of the intelligent warrior)

Of course, that brings us onto an altogether more debatable parallel: Celia-Delenn.

SPoD
2008-09-26, 01:50 PM
I think Redcloak parallels to early G'kar pretty well, too. Leader of a historically oppressed people, willing to do anything to get back at his oppressors who seem, on the surface, to be the "good guys" but actually have committed terrible atrocities in the past. It remains to be seen whether he can be enlightened, as G'kar was.

But yeah, there's a fair bit of Londo in him too, especially if you equate Xykon himself with the Shadows.

Chronos
2008-09-26, 02:26 PM
Of course, that brings us onto an altogether more debatable parallel: Celia-Delenn.They both have a certain unearthliness to them (beyond the obvious fact that Delenn's (sort of) an alien), but Delenn is not at all an airhead. When Celia doesn't understand something, it's "Wait, what do you mean you humans can't shoot electricity from your fingers?", but when Delenn doesn't understand something, it's "There are many Great Mysteries in the Universe".

Are there any OotS analogues for Vir and/or Lenier? They're my favorite B5 characters.