PDA

View Full Version : Ever Make a Monster...? [4e, The Violet Dragon Strikes!]

Tequila Sunrise
2008-09-26, 01:18 PM
And wish you had a set of solid guidelines? Ever get bored because your PCs couldn't consistently hit high level monsters? Well I do, and that's why I've spent quite a bit of time studying monster design and then writing my Manual of Monster Creation (http://lucasbuchanan.com/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons) for 4th Edition. Inside you'll find detailed guidelines for making monsters from scratch that are both simple and better balanced than the DMG guidelines. Below is a dragon that I created using my own guidelines.

Okay now that I'm done tooting my own horn I'd be glad to hear what you think of my work.

TS

Ancient Violet Dragon
Tier and Role Epic Rank 5 (Solo) Skirmisher
Size and Type Large Natural Magical Beast (dragon)
Initiative 2 + (3/5 level)
Senses Perception 5 + (1/2 level); Darkvision
Hit Points [20 + (8.5 X Level)] X 5
AC 14 + (4/5 level; round up); Fortitude 10 + (4/5 level; round up); Reflex 14 + (4/5 level; round up); Will 12 + (4/5 level; round up)
Resist 35 thunder (this increases to 40 thunder at 26th level)
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6, fly 16 (hover), overland flight 24; see also flyby attack, flyby strafe, tornado and shifty tail slash
Action Points 2
Bite (standard; at-will) • Thunder
Reach 2; 5 + (level) vs. AC; 3d8 + 4 + (1/5 level) damage and 5d6 thunder damage. (This increases to 6d6 thunder damage at 26th level.)
Claw (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; 5 + (level) vs. AC; 3d8 + 4 + (1/5 level) damage.
Tail (standard; at-will)
Reach 2; 3 + (4/5 level; round up) vs. Reflex; 3d8 + 4 + (1/5 level) damage.
Draconic Fury (standard; at-will)
The dragon makes two claw attacks and one tail attack. The tail attack cannot target the same enemy as the claw attacks.
Flyby Attack (standard; recharge 5-6)
Flyby Attack (standard; recharge 5-6)
The dragon flies up to 16 squares and uses its draconic fury or breath weapon power at any point during the move without provoking opportunity attacks from the targets. The dragon must have its breath weapon power charged in order to use it in this way.
Shifty Tail Slash (immediate reaction, when an enemy moves into a position that flanks the dragon; at-will)
The dragon makes a tail attack against that enemy and then shifts 3 squares.
Breath Weapon (standard; recharge 5-6) • Thunder
Close blast 5; 3 + (4/5 level; round up) vs. Reflex; 4d8 + 6 + (2/5 level) damage and the target is defeaned (save ends) and pushed 3 squares. Miss: Half damage.
Bloodied Breath (free, when first bloodied; encounter) • Thunder
The dragon’s breath weapon recharges, and the dragon uses it immediately.
Thunder Clap (standard; recharge 5-6) • Thunder
The dragon flies up to 16 squares and cracks the air with its wings at the end of its move: Close blast 3; 3 + (4/5 level; round up) vs. Fortitude; 3d8 + 6 + (2/5 level) damage and the target is stunned until the end of the dragon’s next turn and defeaned (save ends). This attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Frightful Presence (standard; encounter) • Fear
Close burst 5; 3 + (4/5 level; round up) vs. Will; the target is stunned until the end of the dragon’s next turn. Aftereffect: The target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).
Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Acrobatics Dex + 10 + (1/2 level), Bluff Cha + 5 + (1/2 level), Diplomacy Cha + 5 + (1/2 level), Insight Wis + 5 + (1/2 level), Intimidate Cha + 10 + (1/2 level)
Str 18 (+4), Dex 24 (+7), Wis 10 (+0)
Con 10 (+0), Int 14 (+2), Cha 24 (+7)