PDA

View Full Version : Using GiantitP as a Template

ChubsMcGee
2005-08-21, 05:04 PM
I was wondering if there are any rules about using Giants webpage source as a template for my own web site?

RawBearNYC
2005-08-21, 07:09 PM
I guess, if I thought about it, the code for GiantITP belongs to me since I wrote it and was never paid. The graphics belong to Rich as he made them himself. I'm sure he won't permit his graphics to be used elsewhere. And, technically, you'd be taking money out of my pocket by using my code and not compensating me. So, I'd have to jump on the side of "no". Not that source code isn't stolen on the internet all the time.

ChubsMcGee
2005-08-21, 08:11 PM
Okay, thanks anyways.

WampaX
2005-08-21, 09:45 PM
Were you talking about the YaBB source?
If so, the link at the bottom of the page should give you what you want.

RawBearNYC
2005-08-22, 10:11 AM
Good point, Wampa, I hadn't considered that possbility. The YaBB software is liscensed to us through another agreement that you could get as easily as we did. If I recall correctly, the YaBB software is free for non-commercial uses (I can't remember if they require payment for commercial uses -- and I guess I'm too lazy to go check).

If what you wanted was the message boards as a template, then it would NOT function if you took the source code for the pages. You need the server side source.

ChubsMcGee
2005-08-22, 02:06 PM
I was looking for the source for the main GiantitP page, I had tried something along the same lines for my own webpage, but couldnt get it to work, things moved to the wrong place at the wrong time and such. But if you say no, i understand, and i have no problems with it.

RawBearNYC
2005-08-22, 04:42 PM
either post the url or PM me the url, and I'll be happy to glance at it to see where you're struggling and make a suggestion to help you out.