PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for Strip 600 [Spoilers]

DBJack
2008-09-27, 12:49 AM
3 more strips to go. I doubt that the comic will go back to Haley and Celia just yet. Instead, there is much to be done with Elan. Specifically, his discussion with Hinjo. A noble just disapearing, leaving behind dead ninjas and wounded witnesses (The Katos and escaping ninja) will require an explanation. And besides, the Katos saw Elan leap onto Kubota's boat. How much did they see and hear? Could they have seen V kill Kubota? If so, what would they say to Hinjo? Would they back Elan up in his lies because they were almost assassinated, or would they tell the truth, no matter what path that leads down? And I bet there will be more death in the next few strips. Hinjo may see through Elan's lies, and there may be a fight. I'm expecting Elan to be killed in 600, possibly in an accident caused by V, possibly causing her to realize how insane he has been acting. It doesn't seem like time to raise Roy yet, and it may take until 650, 700 or even beyond, as much as that may cheese many of you off. (I heard a prediction that it'll be in the 650's, due to the patterns of the books' splash pages) The 3 story arcs all have so much going on right now, and so much is at stake in each of them, that 600 will probably be pretty important, rather than a double-sized one.

All of this putting aside 600 being about the Linear Guild, Team Evil, or Roy in Heaven, any of which could be involved as well.

So, yeah, I'm predicting another characters (temporary at least) death on 600, someone involved in Elan's arc.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-27, 12:52 AM
Haven't most of the 'big' strips thus far (200, 300, 400, ect) been pretty normal strips, for the most part? There's not a whole lot of point (unless I'm wrong about that) in "predicting" one of those strips, since it would be just like predicting any any other strip... right?

MReav
2008-09-27, 01:08 AM
I think there's going to be a lampshade hanging about how nothing significant happened.

An Enemy Spy
2008-09-27, 01:09 AM
I think there's going to be a lampshade hanging about how nothing significant happened.

No, that already happened in strip 100

MReav
2008-09-27, 01:13 AM
No, that already happened in strip 100

And I think it's gonna happen again. Maybe even without the lampshading.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-27, 01:15 AM
I guess it's also possible that there's some gigantic part with a big picture with a bunch of stuff happening in it (like the OOTS crew standing on the beach as the boat sails away, for instance. I'm not suggesting that'll happen, I'm just saying LIKE that), and then they make some comment about how that's such a cliche.

FujinAkari
2008-09-27, 02:03 AM
Haven't most of the 'big' strips thus far (200, 300, 400, ect) been pretty normal strips, for the most part? There's not a whole lot of point (unless I'm wrong about that) in "predicting" one of those strips, since it would be just like predicting any any other strip... right?

Lets see...

Nothing... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html) much to Rich's chagrin according to his later commentary (100 was meant to be the introduction of Xykon)
The Introduction of Miko. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html)
Giant splash page of Xykon moving against Azure City atop an undead dragon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html)
Haley and Elan's first kiss (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0400.html)
The return to the main plot after Roy's heavenly subarc (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html)

Yeah... clearly nothing important happens at the hundreds :P

drengnikrafe
2008-09-27, 02:06 AM
Lets see...

Nothing... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html) much to Rich's chagrin according to his later commentary (100 was meant to be the introduction of Xykon)
Giant splash page of Xykon moving against Azure City atop an undead dragon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html)
The return to the main plot after Roy's heavenly subarc (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html)

Whoever suggested any of those are at all important?...

I give up. I just lost track of most strip numbers, I guess...

EDIT: In other news, it's midnight. I guess I should stop posting when midnight rolls around....

Helanna
2008-09-27, 07:58 AM
EDIT: In other news, it's midnight. I guess I should stop posting when midnight rolls around....

Oh yeah, I've been there.

I honestly have no idea what will happen in strip 600. I don't think we'll cut away from Elan's arc so soon, but there's not much that's super-important that'll be happening . . .

Oh wait. I've got it. V is going to snap. I doubt V will gain ultimate arcane power (though that would be awesome), but I think V will leave the group, or be kicked out after simply telling Hinjo "I killed Kubota." Hinjo will get angry at V, but V will refuse to admit that there was anything wrong with killing him, and then Hinjo will kick V out!

Well, I still don't know, but I think it'll have to do with V. Maybe something about V's apparent illness?

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-27, 09:34 AM
It would be awesome if V gained ultimate arcane power. If not, I bet he's going to snap somehow. I definitely agree something to do with V.
Probably 600 will just be the dramatic consequences of V's actions, like them being kicked off the boats onto an island somewhere.

DBJack
2008-09-27, 09:38 AM
On strip 503, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html) Hinjo expresses his extreme dislike and mistrust of Kubota, but is afraid to act because Kubota has so much support. So Hinjo might not be that upset. He might turn out to be a little bit more realxed about being a paladin than some of the other paladins we've seen, and let it slide because this Kubota's death was for the greater good.

Lamech
2008-09-27, 10:45 AM
200, 300, 400, have all been special. 200 being four pages, 300 having the giant Xykon splash page. 400 having the first kiss. 500 the end of the heaven arc. In strip 500 the attempt to have something special happen was evidenced by a triple length strip and the two before that were double length. So I do believe that the 100's are supposed to be special, if a major event is supposed to happen every 100 or so "strips" the Giant can probably manipulate the strip number by changing how long each strip is fairly easily.

Therefore I do think something special is going to happen. I'm guessing V turning into a lich or doing something else crazy.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-27, 10:47 AM
Definitely going to be something about V. There needs to be WAY more character development there. I'm guessing V will become a wanted criminal by Azure City. Either that, or the ultimate power.

Rad
2008-09-27, 11:07 AM
My money would be on the resurrection of Roy if only V could get a scroll of Teleport.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-27, 11:56 AM
Cut to Roy in the Pre-Processing Plane of Celestia:

Eugene: Well, I guess that conversation you just had takes care of any loose ends associated with that paladin chick.
:roy:Yes, every last one of them. And I'll probably never see her ever again or even mention what we just said...except for in bonus comics

It would really sell the next compilation...

Lowkey
2008-09-27, 11:59 AM
I personally thought 484 was a lot more important then 500, as it capped the Battle of Azure City. So I'm not sure 600 will be a big thing. However it may be if Hinjo decides to kick out the Order. I present as evidence 426 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0426.html) which shows there are wizards capable of casting teleport in the fleet. One of them could evict the Order.

That said, I still think a trip to the elf lands is coming up. Perhaps announcing that will be #600

Kato
2008-09-27, 12:13 PM
My bets are on a quick rezz of Roy. Rich could change back to Haley in 497 or 498, and maybe make some double page strips, to get in more content. Then it would be possible, as they already know someone to rezz him.
Otherwise, It might also be a cut to Team Evil again, but no idea what they might do. (O-Chul breaking free?) On the Elan part... not much idea, what might happen. Latest comics were so awesome, I don't think Rich'd put in even more important events there. But that's just my guess.

RMS Oceanic
2008-09-27, 12:19 PM
I'd rather like something like 298: something dramatic happens, then a gag kinda deflates it.

In this case, it would be cool if a really detailed form of Resurrection took place. A skeleton appears, then organs, then muscles, and finally the skin as Roy says something appropriately dramatic/awesome.

And then he realises he's naked.

Fitzclowningham
2008-09-27, 12:20 PM
600 will be the birth of the heir of House Kato.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-09-27, 03:38 PM
I'd rather like something like 298: something dramatic happens, then a gag kinda deflates it.

In this case, it would be cool if a really detailed form of Resurrection took place. A skeleton appears, then organs, then muscles, and finally the skin as Roy says something appropriately dramatic/awesome.

And then he realises he's naked.

I lol'ed. That would be...perfect. Especially if it includes Haley repeating the "Please cast Blindness (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html) on me" gag.

As would this. Awwww.

Shadic
2008-09-27, 03:43 PM
I think it is going to be Roy's Resurrection. I mean, all they've got to do is wait around for that one guy to show up, right?

And if that rattle in Roy's boot was indeed a bone left over, they could do it pretty easily. (And The Giant doesn't typically include little details like that for no reason)

Eric
2008-09-27, 04:05 PM
However it may be if Hinjo decides to kick out the Order. I present as evidence 426 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0426.html) which shows there are wizards capable of casting teleport in the fleet. One of them could evict the Order.

The only reason to cast teleport would be to get rid of people who don't want to go.

None of these members of OOtS would want to stay around if they're asked to leave.

Unless it's a level -1 teleport spell: Verbal component: "Can you leave, please?". Somatic: Wave of hand. Material: boat. Save: automatic if resisted.

Lowkey
2008-09-27, 05:07 PM
The only reason to cast teleport would be to get rid of people who don't want to go.

None of these members of OOtS would want to stay around if they're asked to leave.

Unless it's a level -1 teleport spell: Verbal component: "Can you leave, please?". Somatic: Wave of hand. Material: boat. Save: automatic if resisted.
No, the reason to cast teleport is because it is fast and easy. Putting them on a boat means giving them a boat and supplies so they can go on their way. The fleet is low on supplies as it is and to give away a boat would mean cramming the people jam packed onto the boats already even tighter on a smaller number of boats just to be rid of 3 people. Whereas all a teleport spell costs the fleet is the services of the wizard for the duration it takes to take those 3 ashore and teleport back.

Holammer
2008-09-27, 05:31 PM

Maybe a strip with nothing but Tropes references so people put a lid on it already. It was funny the first time, but now everything is magnificent bastards this or crowning moment of awesome that.

I want to say something happens to V, but for all we know the perspective might change to Roy or the Linear folks in the next few comics up to 600. *shrug*

Linkavitch
2008-09-27, 05:40 PM

Like in #100? Anyway, I hope(hope, not think.) that :roy:, :haley:, :belkar:(minus MoJ), and Celia will show up, and then the next 50 or 60 will deal with how this came about.(considering that Haley's storyline is {or at least was} a few months, at least behind Elan's.) Maybe with interjections from :elan:, :vaarsuvius:, and :durkon:. Either that, or something really anticlimactic, yet funny, about Kazumi having her baby. Or something with thte Linear Guild, possibly revealing they were in league with Kubota.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-27, 06:10 PM

I'd put money on this. Also, the Trial of V may be in the cards.

Red XIV
2008-09-27, 09:10 PM
She's six months pregnant now, isn't she? That'd be as big a time skip as we got after Roy's afterlife storyline.

I tend to think the birth of the Kato baby will be closer to strip 650 than to 600.

dps
2008-09-27, 09:30 PM
I predict that strip #600 will be followed strip #601.

:smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2008-09-27, 09:32 PM
I'm going to take a longshot and go with a filler strip. Perhaps one of those letter answering ones.

Liwen
2008-09-27, 09:57 PM
Time to predict a specific, awesome senario of mine which, if it happens, would generate thoudsands of posts in about a day:

V snaps, kills or severly wounds Hinjo then direct her attacks toward Elan and Dunkon. Suddenly, we hear someone in the backgroud casting holy word. V gets hit by the spell and is blinded, effectively putting him out of combat for at least a round, thus allowing Elan to espace certain death. Next panel we see a Half-celestialized Roy looking very mad. His first words seeing that Elan and the others can't believe what they are seeing : "Yeah, I kinda figured I was on my own on this one.

601 is a climatic battle between V and Roy, won with ease (but not too much ease) by Roy who is now uber badass. Strip 602 explains that Roy made a deal with the gods, allowing him to return in this form until he manages to save the world.

After that Haley ends her sub plot, and some deus ex machina brings the whole party together again :smallbiggrin:

Probably not, but THAT would be worth 600.

David Argall
2008-09-27, 10:08 PM
the main problem with this idea is that the strip would be over by 620, if not 605.

Liwen
2008-09-27, 10:19 PM
Why would you assume that? Roy would finnaly be a match in a one-o-one fight with Xykon?

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-27, 11:48 PM
Next panel we see a Half-celestialized Roy looking very mad.

601 is a climatic battle between V and Roy, won with ease (but not too much ease) by Roy who is now uber badass. Strip 602 explains that Roy made a deal with the gods, allowing him to return in this form until he manages to save the world.

What do you think this is? Dragonball Z?

nowiwantmydmg
2008-09-27, 11:59 PM
Time to predict a specific, awesome senario of mine which, if it happens, would generate thoudsands of posts in about a day:

V snaps, kills or severly wounds Hinjo then direct her attacks toward Elan and Dunkon. Suddenly, we hear someone in the backgroud casting holy word. V gets hit by the spell and is blinded, effectively putting him out of combat for at least a round, thus allowing Elan to espace certain death. Next panel we see a Half-celestialized Roy looking very mad. His first words seeing that Elan and the others can't believe what they are seeing : "Yeah, I kinda figured I was on my own on this one.

After that Haley ends her sub plot, and some deus ex machina brings the whole party together again :smallbiggrin:

Probably not, but THAT would be worth 600.

Lame. Deus Ex Machina.

I would appreciate any of: Roysurrection, V/Elan doing something cool/stupid, Hinjo being ursurped, Belkar and his MoJ, Haley having it out with the thieves guild/grubwiggler, something with Qarr.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-28, 12:25 AM

You forget something important. If it was Dragonball Z, the next 125 strips would be something like this....

Strip 600-607: "I"
Strip 608-622: "MM"
Strip 623-640: "ACH"
Strip 640-662: "ARG"
Strip 663-681: "INM"
Strip 682-699: "ALA"
Strip 700-725: "ZER!"

Then, a spell would be cast. Then, Roy would counterattack.......

SteveMB
2008-09-28, 08:49 AM
My guess is: some kind of major Vaarsuvius crisis/meltdown. S/he's clearly losing it, going beyond h** normal levels of arrogance and disconnect up to the point of killing someone whose continued existence is inconvenient.

Holammer
2008-09-28, 10:01 AM

It is if someone grows blonde spikey hair. Surely it would be a bold new direction if it turned into a shōnen comic? next 600 strips deal with V's struggle to attain ultimate arcane power!

:xykon: Redcloak, what does the scouter say about his power?
:redcloak: It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!
:xykon: WHAT?! NINE THOUSAND?!

... ugh, I feel all dirty. :smalltongue:

DBJack
2008-09-28, 05:33 PM
What can happen, and the chances of it (In my opinion, of course)

Roy getting rezzed - Low. In 3 strips, Haley and Celia are going to leave a basement in a city filled with people searching for her, to travel to a cleric who might raise Roy with the toe bone? Come on... In only 3 strips? That could take 50. Easily. Sorry, but Roy isn't coming back so soon... And the strip panning to him being alive and well? Come on. How anticlimatic would that be? It isn't time for Roy yet.

Birth of Kato Heir - Maybe. Who knows how far she really is into her pregnancy. It is possible. and it would be a good 600. But still, she is probably only 6 months in, as it has been stated.

Linear Guild Entrance - Actually, they might be possible. Blind Pete might invite in the son of an old friend, who turns out to be Nale. Or they could attack the ship. Who knows?

Team Evil Arc - It might swap to them. They won't attack the fleet or anything, but...

Roy in Celestia - Probably not. Roy is way to busy seeing what the hell Haley and Celia are going to do now that he is a golem. In fact, we haven't seen him at all since the golem. What happened to him in heaven? Could 600 explain that? Probably not. Sorry.

Joke that 600 passed without events, such as 100 - Unlikely. Every single arc is doing something cool. Roy is a golem, Redcloak is probably almost done fortifying Azure City and setting up supply routes, Kubota is dead, a guild is after Haley...

Haley and Celia get attacked by Crystal, Belkar dies saving them - I think this is going to happen eventually. Belkar dying nobly at least, which will be a fitting punishment for him: being thanked. Probably not by Crystal though. I don't think the arc will change just yet. There is still much to do on Hinjo's junk.

Witness of Kubota's Death - I bet there is one. Qarr might have been floating around invisible. The Katos might've seen V do the deed. They certainly saw Elan jump, and probably saw Elan capture Kubota. Could they have stuck around long enough to see the zap? Probably.

Hinjo finds out the truth - He will. There is no doubt that Hinjo will find out what happened. Elan can't lie well. But will this happen on 600? Probably 599, and his reaction is on 600.

Hinjo reacts well - Well, that pesky Kubota was trying to kill him. Maybe Hinjo will let it slide. But then, there won't be a fight!

Hinjo reacts badly - This is pretty likely. Hinjo is mad, mad enough to try to arrest V or Elan. There is a fight, and someone dies. I think it'll be Elan, although I won't count out Durkon. V will realize what V has done, and stop being obsessed, and start being a friend.

V's 4 Words!!! - No.

A multi-part strip where V, Durkon, and Belkar all die - It would be cool, but no.

And, what I think is going to happen absolutely - Elan will create an illusion of Kubota, and make him stand trial, and make the illusion plead guilty. The the illusion will escape, or die, or something. Qarr might try to interact with the illusion, which would be funny. So, if there is a Kubota illusion coming up, I called it. :smallwink:

Did I miss any plausible ones? I got all of the major things, at least.

Fish
2008-09-28, 06:29 PM
Maybe a strip with nothing but Tropes references so people put a lid on it already. It was funny the first time, but now everything is magnificent bastards this or crowning moment of awesome that.
Yeah, the more I hear about TV Tropes, the more I come to the opinion that it's a series of crutches for people who don't understand how to dissect a plot using their own knowledge and experience of literature.

gamerboy6000
2008-09-28, 07:15 PM
For 600 I think Julio Scoundrel returns, is killed by Nale, and cradled in Elan's arms as he swears revenge.

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-28, 09:26 PM
That would be hilarious.

Deepkicker
2008-09-28, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the more I hear about TV Tropes, the more I come to the opinion that it's a series of crutches for people who don't understand how to dissect a plot using their own knowledge and experience of literature.

Yes! YES!

Anyhoo...
Things really haven't gone as expected, so all my previous possibilities such as the Order reuniting or Roy being resurrected would probably be a bit premature. I honestly can't guess, which has me a little excited. But from what I've read on this thread, the Kato's kid being born seems most likely. Though I must question how much of a big deal that really is.

Sequinox
2008-09-28, 09:35 PM
I remember the 500 predictions. Roy gets rezzed! By Mr Scruffy! (My own guess)

My 600 prediction: Roy gets rezzed! By Mr. Scruffy! I mean... The cleric that they planned to visit. But somehow Mr. Scruffy gets mistaken for the caster!

Calinero
2008-09-28, 09:49 PM
I agree with the idea that something bad is going to happen to Elan or Durkon as a result of V's actions. And his four words? "What have I done?"

Deploy
2008-09-28, 11:10 PM
i have this nagging feeling that Elan will die, I don't know how it will happen he will die. Durkon will raise him easily, but he will die, dramatically!
(more likely than not at the hands of V)

Sergeantbrother
2008-09-29, 12:56 AM
I had a weird thought for what might be coming up

I wondered if perhaps Hinjo might try to have V arrested for Kubota's murder and then V disintegrates Hinjo.

Tirian
2008-09-29, 01:27 AM
Assuming that we're getting somewhat close to the end of the next book, I think that 599 is Vaarsuvius' first scry after the Cloister spell elapses and 600 is a tele-reunion between Elan and Haley. Then they port off the ship shortly thereafter and we see virtually no more of Azure City or the Sapphire Guild. Then the book ends with reclaiming Roy's body and rezzing him.

Enlong
2008-09-29, 01:32 AM

Could have fooled me, that battle took long enough... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html)

DBJack
2008-09-29, 01:52 AM
Remember, it all has to happen in 2 strips, with Elan about to tell Hinjo what happened. Like I said before, I'm expecting 599 to be the tattling, and 600 to be a big fight with a fatality of a major character.

I was wrong about the Kubota illusion. :smallfrown:

David Argall
2008-09-29, 02:04 AM
600 would be just about the right point for V to finally sucessfully contact Haley.

Greep
2008-09-29, 02:23 AM
600 would be just about the right point for V to finally sucessfully contact Haley.

^Agrees :smallamused:

Right timing, not sure if it'd be right dramatic timing tho. I don't think It'd be good for the comic for V to defuse.

Morgan Wick
2008-09-29, 02:46 AM
Lets see...

Incidentially, the main "big" thing that happens in 500 at first glance seems to be a wedding involving... somebody. It could be just about anyone under the sun, even Elan and Haley, or two people no one had even considered pairing before... and it turns out to be Kazumi and Daigo, and not much earthshattering has really happened.

Prowl
2008-09-29, 02:59 AM

Only problem with that is that Haley is currently in a scry-proof cellar as per strip #581, and the action doesn't seem to be moving fast enough to get back to her before #600.

Strips #598 and #599 will almost have to be a continuation of the current subplot, as we're nowhere near any good opportunity to segue into a different subplot.

So... my prediction for #600 is for relevations and events in multiple subplots that advance the story forward in a major way and reset the story's course towards reuniting the party.

Danukian
2008-09-29, 05:04 AM
After reading 597, my new prediction is Elan turning V in to Hinjo, and when the authorities close in on V, (s)he shouts "Don't taze me, bro!"

Ellye
2008-09-29, 05:09 AM
V will right now try to scry Haley again... and it would be successful this time. If she wasn't in a scry-proof room, of course. :smallannoyed:
This continued failure in scrying will make V "break" for real, whatever that turns out to mean. This will be 600, most likely.

But, personally, I just would prefer OotS to go back to what it was. Yes, it's nice to have a good plot, but I miss the light-hearted humor - and specially I miss the party being together.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-29, 05:18 AM
I've been going with the V becomes a lich argument for a while, but maybe his turn to the Dark Side is simpler than that. Maybe all that needs to happen is

for Qaar to contact V and offer him an Infernal pact of some sort, promising him great power at a seemingly low price, and at the end of 600 V saying "I accept your proposal".

Morgan Wick
2008-09-29, 01:58 PM
Remember, it all has to happen in 2 strips, with Elan about to tell Hinjo what happened. Like I said before, I'm expecting 599 to be the tattling, and 600 to be a big fight with a fatality of a major character.

I was wrong about the Kubota illusion. :smallfrown:

Keep in mind that Elan isn't telling Hinjo anything we haven't just seen, so 598 could cut straight to Hinjo's reaction.

Cutsleeve
2008-09-29, 03:06 PM
Rocks fall.

Blue Ghost
2008-09-29, 08:15 PM
I think (not hope) that something really bad will happen in #600. Or maybe several things...

My predictions:
The OOTS is banished from the Sapphire Guard
V is revealed to be a lich.
The Katos' child is born and revealed to be an Unholy Scion.
All of the above.

Wreckingrocc
2008-09-29, 08:23 PM
Thog falls from the sky, kills Xykon. Yay!

Greep
2008-09-29, 09:02 PM
I had a weird thought for what might be coming up

I wondered if perhaps Hinjo might try to have V arrested for Kubota's murder and then V disintegrates Hinjo.

Huh... you know that might actually happen. He'd be a REAL distraction, and what's one man to saving the world? I can actually see V doing this.

You totally ruined it for me if it happens tho lol.

David Argall
2008-09-30, 01:02 AM
600 will be a fine strip, but will be pretty much forgotten by 610.

Theodoriph
2008-09-30, 01:08 AM
I think (not hope) that something really bad will happen in #600. Or maybe several things...

My predictions:
The OOTS is banished from the Sapphire Guard
V is revealed to be a lich.
The Katos' child is born and revealed to be an Unholy Scion.
All of the above.

The Oots was never a part of the sapphire guard.

The other two are just bad storytelling, worthy of a crappy soap opera, but well below the general quality of Mr. Burlew's work.

V becoming a lich/baelnorn is a much better option than V being revealed to be a lich, since well...the latter would mean no one has noticed that V is dead and has committed some terrible act of evil (as well as made a phylactery off-screen). In short, it's just bad story telling. The former is a slightly better option in terms of plausibility, but I'm not sure that's saying much.

I'm not even going to address the unholy scion.

Shadic
2008-09-30, 01:11 AM
Prediction now is that it's going to be a semi-regular strip.. Likely focusing on those stuck on the boats.

And then somebody is going to mention Haley/Roy, and how dire their situation is.. And the last frame will show him resurrected.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-30, 01:11 AM
I'm not even going to address the unholy scion.

You mean Qarr's contingency plan?

Theodoriph
2008-09-30, 01:17 AM
I think my favourite theory is that V is finally able to scry on, contact, or get some information about Miss Starshine.

Kubota's been dealt with, so the order has no real reason to keep hanging around Hinjo.

Ragabash
2008-09-30, 02:15 PM
My prediction for 600 is:

it will be drawn in stick figure style.

Kaytara
2008-09-30, 03:49 PM
My prediction: Vaarsuvius completes a new spell. (It strikes me that Vaarsuvius may be additionally cranky in these last strips because he was interrupted just prior to what he had genuinely hoped would be a breakthrough.) Either this spell is so incredibly powerful and/or specifically designed to achieve this that it breaks through the lingering Cloister effect AND the runes in the basement Haley's in - not impossible, though probably tricky to justify from a technical perspective - or by this time Cloister has worn off, and the (probably not as advanced) ward in the basement is all that's keeping V from scrying on Haley.

Either way, the scrying spell completely shatters the anti-scrying enchantment. V can now see Haley. Unfortunately, so can the Thieves Guild's arcane trickster. The last thing V see is Haley being attacked and/or captured by her former guildmates.
Then, Hinjo and the others walk in to apprehend Vaarsuvius, who's low on hitpoints, has probably expended all high-level spells, but is now more desperate than ever to hurry to Haley's aid, and due to his wrecked nerves is unable to comprehensively tell Elan and Durkon of his recent success. Cue the drama.

batsofchaos
2008-09-30, 04:42 PM
The current events of Golem-ifying Roy's corpse and the midnight rendezvous of Elan and Therkla are occurring fairly concurrently; Haley/Belkar/Celia bunked down for the night just as Elan and Therkla were meeting. This is shown through the gag in 581 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html). Thus all these events are occurring on the same night. So unless there's any sort of time jump between the current point and page 600, I doubt we will see a Rezzed Roy (unless Haley's gang had as rousing a twenty minutes as Elan's has!), nor a functioning spell since Haley referenced the Cloister spell as still in effect (again page 581) a scant few hours previously, in addition to them being in Old Blind Pete's protected 'speakeasy.'

redzimmer
2008-09-30, 04:53 PM
I predict Qarr making a deal with a new mortal: :vaarsuvius:

And a big full-page image of her/him saying the four words at the right time.

Greep
2008-10-01, 01:03 AM
The current events of Golem-ifying Roy's corpse and the midnight rendezvous of Elan and Therkla are occurring fairly concurrently; Haley/Belkar/Celia bunked down for the night just as Elan and Therkla were meeting. This is shown through the gag in 581 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html). Thus all these events are occurring on the same night. So unless there's any sort of time jump between the current point and page 600, I doubt we will see a Rezzed Roy (unless Haley's gang had as rousing a twenty minutes as Elan's has!), nor a functioning spell since Haley referenced the Cloister spell as still in effect (again page 581) a scant few hours previously, in addition to them being in Old Blind Pete's protected 'speakeasy.'

Or Haley's lost track of time/forgot/is further in the past in the storyline >.> The cloister spell is DEFINATELY gone in Elan's story time-track, unless you think Xykon is level 30+

... Which makes me wonder what V is actually doing. Oh noes! lol

Finwe
2008-10-01, 01:48 AM
Or Haley's lost track of time/forgot/is further in the past in the storyline >.> The cloister spell is DEFINATELY gone in Elan's story time-track, unless you think Xykon is level 30+

... Which makes me wonder what V is actually doing. Oh noes! lol

I beg to differ: The cloister spell was supposed to wear off a 5+ weeks after Haley et. al. left Azure City. Since the distance to Cliffport is four weeks from Azure City, and Greysky City is in between, it's still got a few weeks left. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

Greep
2008-10-01, 02:03 AM
Ah so Haley's story is just behind then. Because it's been more than six months for Elan, which is >26 weeks.

Ridureyu
2008-10-01, 04:54 AM
What I think is going to happen? This is a condensed version of something I already posted.

-Roy will be ressurected.

-Roy will cure Belkar's Mark of Justice.

-Belkar will kill Celia.

-V will kill Elan and Haley.

-Roy will kill Miko (again).

-Durkon will become a paladin, and then a blackguard.

-Redcloak will kill Xykon.

-Goku will turn Super Saiyan.
[/quote]

AKA_Bait
2008-10-01, 07:38 AM
V will right now try to scry Haley again... and it would be successful this time. If she wasn't in a scry-proof room, of course. :smallannoyed:
This continued failure in scrying will make V "break" for real, whatever that turns out to mean. This will be 600, most likely.

Honestly, I think V is going to succeed at contacting or at least locating Haley. The room may be immune to scrying but is it immune to "V's superior super ultra mega enhanced by trance deprivation uberscrying"? Especially if he is revealed to have recently gotten help from Qarr (which I also think probable)?

DBJack
2008-10-01, 09:36 AM
Actually, V might die in the upcoming battle, if there is one. Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for him? She would be able to be told by a deva how insane he has been acting, and she would be able to peek on Haley as a ghost and figure out what was going on through their conversation in Pete' basement.

Although it would be a little bit difficult to kill someone that just took down
the gigantic demon...

batsofchaos
2008-10-01, 02:29 PM
Ah so Haley's story is just behind then. Because it's been more than six months for Elan, which is >26 weeks.

What evidence do you have the shows more time has passed for the ships than for Haley's group?

Note: I'm not trying to attack you, I'd just like to know if there's something I've missed. I think the narrative clearly points to Haley bunkering down in Pete's cellar at the same time as Elan was meeting with Therkla on the island.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-01, 02:56 PM
What evidence do you have the shows more time has passed for the ships than for Haley's group?

Note: I'm not trying to attack you, I'd just like to know if there's something I've missed. I think the narrative clearly points to Haley bunkering down in Pete's cellar at the same time as Elan was meeting with Therkla on the island.

Indeed. I also thought it equally clear that the months spent on the ship by V, Elan and Durkon were spent forming and working with Azurite Rebels left in the city by Haley and Belkar.

David Argall
2008-10-01, 05:01 PM

By our best estimate, Belkar bites the big one just about that time, and we have no reason to think Belkar is going to be written out that quickly. So it seems unlikely.

Jaltum
2008-10-04, 11:07 AM
Remember, V's last attempt to bypass Cloister and send a message did work. They just ate the messenger birds.

I think it's possible 599 will show V trying again, with an even-more-upgraded spell, shifting the scene to Greysky City. The cleric of Loki was a "local cleric" and it's now morning, so the timetable could be right for Roy to be back in #600.

Vim
2008-10-08, 09:04 AM
I'm just signing up to register my approval of this strip before the anticipation for the next one kills me. I can't wait to see how V's story turns out.

Abjurer
2008-10-08, 09:30 AM
Vaarsuvius's death. ...unlikely.

I like the Qarr making a deal with V thing.
Whatever it is, I am sure it will be awesome.

Bedinsis
2008-10-08, 09:55 AM
Vaarsuvius discovers Qarr, and gets an offer which would significally increase her power, but would make her more evil (lichdom or such).
Vaarsuvius rejects it, saying that the price isn't worth paying.
She puts it in such a way that Qarr attacks. A short battle ensues.
The battle gives Vaarsuvius the experience to gain another level.
This makes her remember why she originally started adventuring, and after some thought, she returns to the Order.
I dunno if it's that likely, though.

ericgrau
2008-10-08, 10:01 AM
Just guesses.
1. Qarr makes offer to V, V seems to consider it for a minute, then blasts the daylights out of Qarr and kills him - in a spectacular extra large panel - "that's for delaying my work... why'd he think I'd actually buy into such a thing?"
2. The right being for the 4 words. Possibly a deal.

Qarr's usefulness on the ship has passed. He either must die immediately or join up with someone else. I'm afraid it might be the latter.

Learnedguy
2008-10-08, 11:21 AM
Change of scenes. Heaven or Haley I guess.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-08, 02:27 PM
Gosh but the "Fall of V" seems incredibly likely for #600. Which means it's probably a fake-out :smallbiggrin:

Still, meditating on these two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html) strips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html) doesn't give me a lot of clues either. Qarr shouldn't have been spying randomly on V, so I don't know why he'd think that V would be open to an Infernal Bargain. On the other hand, Qarr can't seriously be thinking about killing V one-on-one... not only is it unlikely, but it's out of character.

In any case, #600 is definitely going to be a nice big page that deals with V. A scene change, though appropriate, would cut the dramatic tension of this sequence.

Perhaps the Death of V, then? Alone and far away, nobody would think to look for the body for a Rez, and Rich would no longer have to worry about V's mystic abilities screwing up the plot... not that he's had trouble so far. Still... the prophecy must be completed.

It really looks like The Fall of V is up for #600 - I can't see what else it could be :smallconfused:

Teatime
2008-10-08, 05:11 PM
I'm beginning to think that the entire introduction of Qarr was specifically for him to get close to Vaarsuvius to make a deal. Think about it. Kubota and Therkla could've easily caused the events of this storyline so far, without needing the added character of Qarr. Why throw him in? And we've never really learned his motives, either - why would he give a damn about who rules Azure City?

His line in the second to last panel adds to my belief that everything with Kubota was just to push V towards a breaking point and spring a deal on him. He doesn't just say, "Oh, look, someone who seems to be on the verge of insanity is flying by." He specifically comments that he was worrying about having to go back onto the boat, but now he doesn't have to. He was planning to go looking for V one way or another. This has been his plan for a long time now. Kubota was expendable - Qarr's got bigger fish to fry. Or, should I say, gates to find...

I HIGHLY doubt #600 will be Qarr getting blasted by V. That would make all this leading up completely useless and the last 5 or so strips might as well have been omitted. It may not be exactly as we suspect, but it won't be (at least I hope it won't be) Vaarsuvius realizing the error of his ways and turning back.

Max_Sinister
2008-10-09, 06:46 AM
At the moment it looks like Qarr wold approach V, and the magic four words might come up, but I guess the Giant is just yanking on our chain.

yrm2
2008-10-09, 08:08 AM
V is definitely going to blurt out something to Haley about "Elan's Girlfriend" and cause Elan to lose Haley, temporarily... which... in OOTS terms, will probably be like 200 strips of frustration.

I'd really love to see Roy raised and the group get back together in some form or another, even with Roy's sister being the wizard now.

This "group is split" multiple plotlines has been good but it's been going on for a bit long.

Laurentio II
2008-10-09, 08:30 AM
Too late to hope that 600th page will be about Vaarsuvius saying the four words, revealing accidentally his gender, and asking for all OotS characters to be conjured, alive and free of any affection or damage, while Qarr reveals Sabine nature and that Haley is just human and his father is prisoner in Elan's father hands, and showing a picture of the MitD without the darkness part? All while a sub text firmed by Mr. Burlew inform readers of every single character's alignment and stats.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-09, 08:40 AM
Ok, here's my guess:

Beginning of the strip:

First few panels: Qarr and V talking.
Next few panels: Qarr convinces V that with his help he will be able to scry on Haley (which s/he might well be able to do now anyway, but s/he doesn't know that).
Last few panels: V casts scry, which works, and tunes in as Rez is about to be cast.

Texas Jedi
2008-10-09, 09:16 AM
I'm beginning to think that the entire introduction of Qarr was specifically for him to get close to Vaarsuvius to make a deal. Think about it. Kubota and Therkla could've easily caused the events of this storyline so far, without needing the added character of Qarr. Why throw him in? And we've never really learned his motives, either - why would he give a damn about who rules Azure City?

His line in the second to last panel adds to my belief that everything with Kubota was just to push V towards a breaking point and spring a deal on him. He doesn't just say, "Oh, look, someone who seems to be on the verge of insanity is flying by." He specifically comments that he was worrying about having to go back onto the boat, but now he doesn't have to. He was planning to go looking for V one way or another. This has been his plan for a long time now. Kubota was expendable - Qarr's got bigger fish to fry. Or, should I say, gates to find...

I HIGHLY doubt #600 will be Qarr getting blasted by V. That would make all this leading up completely useless and the last 5 or so strips might as well have been omitted. It may not be exactly as we suspect, but it won't be (at least I hope it won't be) Vaarsuvius realizing the error of his ways and turning back.

Qarr is introduced long before Kubota knew about V. I think the imp is being very opportunistic and is going for a nice door prize after the main prize fell through. I doubt this was all one big plot by Qarr to get V to fall.

I can understand what you are saying but I don't think Qarr even knows about the gates existance.

I don't understand why every evil group in the OotS world has to be working together.

Great Dane
2008-10-09, 12:12 PM
Hell, alls I know is that my birthday is on Friday, Oct 10. #600 would be a kickass birthday present whether the outcome makes me smile or ache.

Liwen
2008-10-09, 04:10 PM
Happy birthday in advance Dane.

I too really wish for a comic by this hour tommorow, but the Giant might fell # 600 would first require some built up of tension.

I forsee that by the end of the next strip, we shall update the alignment grid of the main characters.

derfenrirwolv
2008-10-12, 08:24 AM
Scene: Old blind Pete's. Dawn. Crystal and another rogue knock on Pete's house, the other (smarter) Rogue asking

"Have you seen or heard Haley starshine?"

OBP "No"

Cue 20 parrots landing outside of OBPs . *CAW* Haley starshine, Varsuvius requests that you attend this avian messenger at once and send a reply detailing your current location and disposition.

deworde
2008-10-12, 08:35 AM
I'm going with the imp offering V a deal, and the last 4 panels being Vaarsuvius saying...
I.

Accept.

Your.

Terms.

deworde
2008-10-12, 08:44 AM
Qarr is introduced long before Kubota knew about V. I think the imp is being very opportunistic and is going for a nice door prize after the main prize fell through. I doubt this was all one big plot by Qarr to get V to fall.

I can understand what you are saying but I don't think Qarr even knows about the gates existance.

I don't understand why every evil group in the OotS world has to be working together.

Ah but see, here's a chain of events to be considered.
Sabine informs her dread masters of the OOTS' mission in 380 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html).

While at sea, Kubota summons an advisor, and they send Qarr.

While Qarr is ostensibly here to aid Kubota, he is also tasked with corrupting a member of the Order to aid them.

V is the obvious choice.

Sinewmire
2008-10-12, 09:08 AM
On strip 503, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html)Hinjo might not be that upset. He might turn out to be a little bit more realxed about being a paladin than some of the other paladins we've seen, and let it slide because this Kubota's death was for the greater good.

Doesn't seem at all in character for Hinjo. "The Greater Good" is a justifiction for The Lesser Evil. He's Lawful Good, remember, he can't be anything else.

As for "V standing trial" "V kills Elan/Hinjo/GwaH" - V has just flown away. Would seem a rather sudden reversal to have V fly back, randomly.

heroe_de_leyenda
2008-10-12, 09:16 AM
I have a prediction for Strip 600....

Maybe it will be up before Xmas... just maybe.

Sinewmire
2008-10-12, 09:19 AM
Dammit, you know Rich doesn't use anything he reads in the forums!

Niley
2008-10-12, 10:37 AM
I bet 10 posts on V making a pact with Qarr. Who bets more? :smallbiggrin:

Lowkey
2008-10-12, 10:46 AM
Quarr tries to recruit V, V kills him for the XP and keeps flying, ends with a splash shot of V flying into the elf lands major city.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-10-12, 11:06 AM
I've been going with the V becomes a lich argument for a while, but maybe his turn to the Dark Side is simpler than that. Maybe all that needs to happen is

for Qaar to contact V and offer him an Infernal pact of some sort, promising him great power at a seemingly low price, and at the end of 600 V saying "I accept your proposal".

I like this theory, however perhaps those last words will be in that kind of rectangle box thing which the Giant does, and the shot will be of elan witht he forboding thing he does

Nerdanel
2008-10-12, 11:19 AM
Qarr catches up with V. They talk for several panels and in the end V agrees to allow Qarr become his familiar. V has Qarr shake hands with him to seal the deal.

However, V then mentions that he doesn't actually have the Improved Familiar feat and moreover, that he finds Qarr annoying and untrustworthy. Qarr still looks happy.

:vaarsuvius: "Heh. Paralyzing touch."

V then does a villain monologue in which he explains to Qarr (and the reader) that he has become a lich and the reason he lied about making the deal was that he wanted to make sure that Qarr wouldn't escape this time. Ding! (Nobody got any experience for defeating the pit fiend since it was a summoned creature. Instead, its CR is baked in with Qarr's, and by defeating Qarr V gets all the experience from the pit fiend to himself and levels up.) V drops the helpless Qarr into the ocean and continues on his way, looking very ominous.

The strip ends with Lien finding Qarr on sea bottom along with Kubota's gear.

Teatime
2008-10-12, 11:26 AM
I just thought of something that would be pretty cool, and would probably have to be the single biggest/most epic update yet.

A side-by-side comic like this one, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html) with the wrapping up of both storylines at once. V & Qarr mirroring Haley & Crystal, Elan and Durkon mirroring Belkar & Celia, then a final large splash page on each side, one regarding the fall of Vaarsuvius and the other the resurrection of Roy.

I think, if done right, it could be more epic than rushed, but it would have to be a pretty huge update...

David Argall
2008-10-12, 01:27 PM
Ah but see, here's a chain of events to be considered.
Sabine informs her dread masters of the OOTS' mission in 380 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html).
Qarr is a LE devil, and Sabine is probably a CE demon. In any case, it is highly likely they have different dread masters.

While at sea, Kubota summons an advisor, and they send Qarr.
We hear Qarr in 484, so he clearly was not summonsed at sea.
Moreover, in 484, Qarr is practically ordering Kubota. We later see Kubota pretty much ignores these orders, but that ignoring shows the relationship was a long term one. Kubota is a proud noble, and would react badly to such "orders" at first. By 484 he is used to such language and Qarr has been his advisor for a considerable period of time, a period long before Sabine first heard of the gates.
Moreover, Kubota's behavior during the siege says he has no idea the Gate exists, nor had an advisor that knew of them. Instead he acts like a scheming noble with his highest ambition being to rule the city.

While Qarr is ostensibly here to aid Kubota, he is also tasked with corrupting a member of the Order to aid them.
But instead his actions are consistently attempts to kill them. If he wanted to corrupt them, he should have been encouraging Therkla.

V is the obvious choice.
V is now the obvious choice for Plan B. The plan to take over the fleet has totally failed, so he switches to the new idea of corrupting the mage.

ARMOURERERIC
2008-10-13, 10:15 AM
If it comes out today, I'll be looking for another boat, captained by "Chris" stopping to ask for directions :)

SteveDJ
2008-10-13, 11:03 AM
Another prediction - just 2 words:

Six Panels. :smallbiggrin: