PDA

View Full Version : Document contains no data

DeadlyGrim
2005-08-07, 10:14 PM
Using Firefox, when I post (or modify), I get an error message that says "Document contains no data" or something to that effect. The post is still posted (though it doesn't seem that the post is modified), but it stays on the same page without going to the posted post as normal. This doesn't seem to be a problem with IE. This hasn't happened until very recently i.e. today. Any ideas?

Winged One
2005-08-07, 11:33 PM
This is the third time I've told you, DeadlyGrim, that the new version of YaBB imposes a character per post limit for some reason.

DeadlyGrim
2005-08-08, 01:09 AM
No, that's not it. I heard that the first time. This is an actual error message, complete with yellow warning sign and ok button.

Winged One
2005-08-08, 01:52 AM
The error message just indicates that you went over the character per post limit, I believe. The thread at the top of this board has been threadjacked into a thread for telling about bugs in this version of YaBB, by the way.

Lilly
2005-08-08, 04:01 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1123515117

Well I managed to find a whole thread that contains no data.

WampaX
2005-08-08, 04:17 PM
That looks oddly familiar. :-/
Is that old thread bug back again?

Lilly
2005-08-08, 04:20 PM
But you're suspossed to be able to reply to a thread bug thread to fix the problem IIRC. Can't reply to this one.

So it's the next generation of thread bug! It's faster and stonger.

Sneak
2005-08-08, 05:54 PM
I saw that, and was really confused. If I remember correctly, I think it also said that 'N/A' (with no link to profile) posted last on it.

Peregrine
2005-08-13, 05:09 PM
That's all well and good, but the 'Document contains no data' error message is a browser error message, not a forum problem. As far as I know, it means, 'We got a response from the server but failed to receive the page.' In other words, the server is only responding intermittently if at all. (I forget what IE's corresponding error would be, but it is a server problem, not a browser one.)

The post you made goes through because you successfully sent data. You don't get redirected because the 'Document contains no data' error is saying that the attempt at redirecting you failed to cough up a new page. Hope that clarifies things. :)

EDIT: Actually, rereading the first post, I suppose it's possible that the new YaBB had some broken script that only behaved under IE. Possible, but doubtful.

RawBearNYC
2005-08-14, 01:58 PM
EDIT: Actually, rereading the first post, I suppose it's possible that the new YaBB had some broken script that only behaved under IE. Possible, but doubtful.
That was the case, Peregrine. Also, Links complained of a socket error on every page. That's why I rolled back :(