PDA

View Full Version : Free 4e Starting Character Generator Now Online

Brasswatchman
2008-09-27, 12:05 PM
Hello -

I'm proud to announce that the tinwatchman starting character generator for d&d 4th edition is now online (and available for free) at the following address:

http://www.tinwatchman.com/chargen/

Comments and feedback highly appreciated. Thanks.

Gorbash
2008-09-27, 12:13 PM
I noticed a bug. It seems this generator is for 4e. What's up with that?

TheOOB
2008-09-27, 12:20 PM
It's a cool little utility, but it should be noted that as of PAX WotC was saying the character builder on their site would be free when it's released.

One thing I noticed was that it doesn't support the spellbook or implement mastery wizard features.

Jayabalard
2008-09-27, 12:22 PM
You can advance past the first page without selecting a class, which causes most of the rest of the tool to be non-functional (skills, powers, etc).

Dragonborn can advanced past the 2nd screen without picking a breath type/stat

All classes (at least the ones that I checked) can advance past the 2nd page without picking their class specific choice (fighting style, weapon focus, deity, etc); backing up show that as undefined since the variable never gets set (which seems like it would be a problem)

Clerics should be able to write in Diety, not be limited to the combo box

The feat list isn't wide enough to read all of the feats.

On the powers page, you should disable the remove button when the selected power cannot be removed; as it is, you can click it but it doesn't do anything, which is not really good behavior.

If you pick items, and then go next, and then go back and remove stuff, it doesn't recalculate the money right; you don't necessarily get back to the starting money.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-09-27, 12:22 PM
Looks interesting, though I'd suggest the addition of the races from the back of the MM.

RTGoodman
2008-09-27, 12:23 PM
Seems pretty cool, though it doesn't (as far as I can tell) support higher level characters (unless I missed something).

Also, you might want to switch around the order of ability scores: in 4E, the preferred order is Str-Con-Dex-Int (to keep abilities that affect the same defense next to each other), instead of the 3.x norm Str-Dex-Con that you currently have.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-27, 12:28 PM
You can advance past the first page without selecting a class, which causes most of the rest of the tool to be non-functional (skills, powers, etc).

Dragonborn can advanced past the 2nd screen without picking a breath type/stat

All classes (at least the ones that I checked) can advance past the 2nd page without picking their class specific choice (fighting style, weapon focus, deity, etc); backing up show that as undefined since the variable never gets set (which seems like it would be a problem)

The feat list isn't wide enough to read all of the feats.

On the powers page, you should disable the remove button when the selected power cannot be removed; as it is, you can click it but it doesn't do anything, which is not really good behavior.

Crap. What version of the Flash Player are you running, Jayabalard, and in what browser? And how exactly were you advancing past the first page? Using the Next button, or the arrow keys?

Jayabalard
2008-09-27, 12:31 PM
I'm not trying to be negative... just I have both flash development and QA testing experience, so I do it kind of automatically.

browser shouldn't matter (there are only a VERY few browser specific bugs in flash)

Firefox 3, flash 9,0,28,0

from the first page:
1. Pick a race
2. Pick an alignment
3. Click random for stats
4. Click next.

just curious, did you build this with flex, or some other flash development tool?

Brasswatchman
2008-09-27, 12:34 PM
One thing I noticed was that it doesn't support the spellbook or implement mastery wizard features.

Yeah, I'm afraid that's right. Thanks for bringing it up; I'll have to add that to the list of things not currently supported at the end of the page.

It's a cool little utility, but it should be noted that as of PAX WotC was saying the character builder on their site would be free when it's released.

Hadn't heard that. Will that be just during beta testing, or on a permanent basis? Either way, sweet.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-27, 12:37 PM
I'm not trying to be negative... just I have both flash development and QA testing experience, so I do it kind of automatically.

No, no, in fact, thank you. I really appreciate the feedback! :) In that case, that's officially a bug. I'll try and get that corrected sometime today. Thanks again!

just curious, did you build this with flex, or some other flash development tool?

Flash CS3 with ActionScript 2. Thought about trying Flex, but I just don't know enough about it to really do that yet. Have heard good things, though.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-27, 12:43 PM
Seems pretty cool, though it doesn't (as far as I can tell) support higher level characters (unless I missed something).

That's right. The program's really just meant to simplify the process of making a first-level character. Past that, I'm afraid you're on your own when it comes to leveling up. That said, I figure that most of the really complicated stuff during 4e character creation happens during first level, so hopefully this will still be of use to people.

Also, you might want to switch around the order of ability scores: in 4E, the preferred order is Str-Con-Dex-Int (to keep abilities that affect the same defense next to each other), instead of the 3.x norm Str-Dex-Con that you currently have.

... you know, I got so used to the way things were arranged in 3.5 that it never really occurred to me to do things otherwise. :) My bad, then. Everybody, is the ability arrangement a big issue for you? How would you like things to be arranged?

TheOOB
2008-09-27, 01:20 PM
Hadn't heard that. Will that be just during beta testing, or on a permanent basis? Either way, sweet.

I talked to one of the designers at PAX, and he said that the character builder will be free even after D&D Insider changes to a pay service, however the character visualizer will require an account. They want players to be able to create power cards for their characters, and make official RPGA characters.

Of course, that was then, they still might change that before it's released.

Jayabalard
2008-09-27, 02:27 PM
Flash CS3 with ActionScript 2. Thought about trying Flex, but I just don't know enough about it to really do that yet. Have heard good things, though.Flex builder is very nice (though I'm kind of biased since I already do Java development using Exclipse), and the data loader mechanism for AS3 makes more sense to me than the one for AS2 does. Flex builder has a 60 day full trial, which is well worth it as free trials go.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-27, 02:55 PM

Okay, bug is now fixed. Everyone, please let me know if anything else comes up.

For the time being, have added in an option that allows clerics and paladins to leave their choice of deity blank. I'll have to see what I can do about the rest later on.

TheSaylesMan
2008-09-27, 05:21 PM
Might I suggest adding in the Races, Feats and Powers that have been presented in Dragon Magazine? You can get all of the articles for the all of the 4th edition Dragon Magazine issues for free on the Wizards website.

And if I'm not mistaken, Wizards' policy is that everything in the 4th ed. Dragon Magazines is official.

Suleman
2008-09-28, 07:26 AM
I can enchance my attribute scores to infinity by repeatedly going back to the first screen. Each time applies the attribute score modifiers again.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-28, 11:57 AM
I can enchance my attribute scores to infinity by repeatedly going back to the first screen. Each time applies the attribute score modifiers again.

Oof. Good catch. I'll fix that.

Brasswatchman
2008-09-29, 11:32 AM
Flex builder is very nice (though I'm kind of biased since I already do Java development using Exclipse), and the data loader mechanism for AS3 makes more sense to me than the one for AS2 does. Flex builder has a 60 day full trial, which is well worth it as free trials go.

Hm. I'll have to look into that. As for AS3, yeah, I'll probably make the jump to that sooner or later. For the time being, though, I'm just going with what I know. :)

Brasswatchman
2008-10-03, 12:47 AM
Hey, would it be cool with everyone if I quoted some of the feedback in this thread on the chargen page? If anyone doesn't want me using or referring to their stuff, let me know.

Colmarr
2008-10-03, 02:08 AM
It doesn't allow clerics to be equipped with javelins (they are simple ranged, right?).

It also doesn't allow a weapon to be selected that is not normally proficient for that class (even if the weapon proficiency feat is selected).