PDA

View Full Version : character challenge

Siy
2008-09-27, 01:27 PM
Heres a challenge for anyone:

Using the selection of DnD books of 3.5 and Iron Kingoms 3.5, what would be the most effective and or fastest development of a character that will make the most amount of enemies hit the floor to create the most amount of attacks of opportunitys?

I was thinking along the lines of fight for the 1st 4 levels for feats then rogue for sneak attacks thereafter alternate, involving feats of improved feint, rapid blitz (or any lower levels), whirlwind attack... but as you can probably tell this is going to be a very awkward character development...

If you are thinking "whats the point just be a fighter and kill them all not just knock them over" .. i was just trying to make something a little different that will help the other members of the team and help control the enemies actions in battle.

Thanks

sonofzeal
2008-09-27, 01:37 PM
Without IK....

Human Barbarian 1 with two flaws = 4 feats

1) Combat Expertise
2) Improved Trip
3) Combat Reflexes
4) Extra Rage

Pick up a Guisarme and bam, you're a trip-monkey. Take as much Rogue as you want after that, but Psychic Warrior/Warmind is also good for the "Expansion" power. (Maybe Barbarian1/Rogue3/PsiWar2/WarmindX). Pick up EWP:Spiked Chain, Extend Rage, and any IK feats you.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-27, 03:12 PM
Heres a challenge for anyone:

Using the selection of DnD books of 3.5 and Iron Kingoms 3.5, what would be the most effective and or fastest development of a character that will make the most amount of enemies hit the floor to create the most amount of attacks of opportunitys?

I was thinking along the lines of fight for the 1st 4 levels for feats then rogue for sneak attacks thereafter alternate, involving feats of improved feint, rapid blitz (or any lower levels), whirlwind attack... but as you can probably tell this is going to be a very awkward character development...

If you are thinking "whats the point just be a fighter and kill them all not just knock them over" .. i was just trying to make something a little different that will help the other members of the team and help control the enemies actions in battle.

Thanks

Wizzard using Widened Grease? Sudden Widen would make it cost same spell slot.

Dode
2008-09-27, 03:19 PM
Cleric or Druid casting a Widened Tremor

Dode
2008-09-27, 03:27 PM
Alternatively, a Permanently Enlarged Human can swing Knockback, EWP: Spiked Chain, Rampaging Bull Rush and Whirlwind Attack at level 9 (1 level needed to dip into Barbarian). If you feel really cheesy be sure to get the Lion Totem Barbarian so you can Whirlwind at the end of a charge.

sonofzeal
2008-09-27, 03:46 PM
For higher-level play, Crusader -> Deepstone Sentinel deserves a mention as well. It gets a plethora of abilities to knock people over, deny them movement, and gain extra AoO opportunities. It'll take a lvl15 character to get "Awaken the Stone Dragon" and really kick things up a notch though.

monty
2008-09-27, 04:01 PM
Master Thrower can get Trip Shot as one of their tricks. Combine with their Palm Throw ability to double your attacks, and take one level of Marshal and three levels of Factotum to get Int and Cha as well as Dex to the trip attempts, and knock everybody within range off their feet.

sonofzeal
2008-09-27, 04:20 PM
Master Thrower can get Trip Shot as one of their tricks. Combine with their Palm Throw ability to double your attacks, and take one level of Marshal and three levels of Factotum to get Int and Cha as well as Dex to the trip attempts, and knock everybody within range off their feet.
Spamming IP like that is going to cost WAY too many FoI feats. If you want to trip everyone in range with throwing weapons, I'd do it with Bloodstorm Blade's "Blade Storm" capstone.

monty
2008-09-27, 04:31 PM
Spamming IP like that is going to cost WAY too many FoI feats. If you want to trip everyone in range with throwing weapons, I'd do it with Bloodstorm Blade's "Blade Storm" capstone.

Brains over Brawn, the relevant ability, doesn't use Inspiration; it's passive. And Master Thrower is only a 5-level class, so you get the capstone (all throwing weapons as touch attacks!) a lot sooner.

Lemur
2008-09-27, 10:50 PM

Palm Throw doesn't actually double your attacks, it works more like Manyshot- its usefulness is in increasing damage in conjunction with Power Throw. Otherwise, MT is a solid option for battlefield control, especially with TWF feats and rapid shot. If you really want to eke out all the control you can, forgoing Palm Throw to use harpoons instead may be a better option.

monty
2008-09-27, 11:03 PM
It feels like a pretty vague wording to me. Looking at it in more detail, it says "may throw two of each weapon with a single attack roll," which seems to imply that if you have enough different weapons, you could throw dozens of them at once.

sonofzeal
2008-09-28, 01:50 AM
Brains over Brawn, the relevant ability, doesn't use Inspiration; it's passive. And Master Thrower is only a 5-level class, so you get the capstone (all throwing weapons as touch attacks!) a lot sooner.
I was under the impression he was going for Cunning Surge there, spamming Standard Action trip attempts. Brains over Brawn is awesome synergy though!

monty
2008-09-28, 01:56 AM
I was under the impression he was going for Cunning Surge there, spamming Standard Action trip attempts. Brains over Brawn is awesome synergy though!

No, I wasn't going for that at all. Besides, you don't get that until Factotum 8, and I only put in 3 levels.

Siy
2008-09-28, 05:06 PM
what about mixing the trip attempts between feints to increase the penalties for the enemy and giving them no dex ?

afroakuma
2008-09-28, 05:11 PM
Make sure this character is named Garland.

This is a must.

sonofzeal
2008-09-28, 05:12 PM
what about mixing the trip attempts between feints to increase the penalties for the enemy and giving them no dex ?
No synergy. Both require a lot of feats or class powers to do effectively, and the only time the feint would help is on the initial attack roll, which is against touch AC anyway. I mean, flatfooted touch attacks are always awesome, but hardly necessary most of the time. The hard part is the strength checks, and feint gives you no help there.

monty
2008-09-28, 11:40 PM
No synergy. Both require a lot of feats or class powers to do effectively, and the only time the feint would help is on the initial attack roll, which is against touch AC anyway. I mean, flatfooted touch attacks are always awesome, but hardly necessary most of the time. The hard part is the strength checks, and feint gives you no help there.

Master Thrower does it with a Dex check. And Factotum 3 adds Int, and Marshal 1 adds Cha. Since you're not getting your strength bonus to damage anyway, you can safely dump it.

chiasaur11
2008-09-28, 11:46 PM
Make sure this character is named Garland.

This is a must.

He has a point.

mabriss lethe
2008-09-29, 12:10 AM
binder with paimon and proficency with a trip weapon, preferrably guisarme.

ocato
2008-09-29, 01:48 AM
Again, I have to plug the man of fear, an idea I saw floating around the forums a while ago and really like.

Jotunbrud (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Jotunbrud,) from Races of Faerun if you're DM allows it, Imp Trip, EWP: Spiked Chain, Knock-down, combat reflexes, and all the other trip-monkey stuff.

Grab Improved Kiai Shout (from CWar I think) and go Fighter/Barbarian/Avenging Executioner (Complete scoundrel)

You leap into the fray, rage/kiai shout, everyone goes nutso scared, tries to run away and you start AoO sudden strike/tripping them as they try to leave your range. Every sudden strike sows more fear, every fear makes them run more, the more they run the more you sudden strike/trip them.