PDA

View Full Version : Double+ posting

Lilly
2005-08-02, 07:25 PM
I've noticed for the last couple of days that there has been a wave of double posting that there hasn't been in the past. In silly games there were at least two intances of posters posting the same message over 3 times.

I hope this will be taken care of with the new software, but please, just hit post once. Mutiple tabs/windows are your friend, and if you have double posted, you can remove your own mutiple posts.

Thanks for listening.

WampaX
2005-08-02, 07:43 PM
I've seen it on a few threads in Gaming and Friendly Banter and it is probably linked to the board problems that Rawbear will hopefully be correcting come Sunday.

RawBearNYC
2005-08-03, 11:48 AM
It's the result of impatience on the poster's part. As, I think, Lilly is alluding to. Hiting posting multiple times will often "post" the form data to the server several times, even if you don't get to the page you wanted, the data can still get written to the server. And when the server is slow, what we really don't need are multiple concurrent post operations from one user.

Patience is a virtue, embrace your virtuosity.

Sneak
2005-08-06, 03:06 PM
Just thought I'd add in that even if you do double post, you can remove one by clicking the Remove button, so as not to be spamming.

Arian
2005-08-06, 10:11 PM
When I double posted yesterday, I got a message the first time telling me that the message had not been successfully posted.

The second time, it sat there doing nothing for several minutes - I went away and read another webpage, and when I returned, it still hadn't gone anywhere, so I cancelled the attempt to post it.

Remembering this thread, though, I checked to see if it had posted either time, and found it had actually posted both times.

So there is something software-related going on - it's not only a matter of undue impatience on the part of posters.

Adghar
2005-08-07, 01:48 PM
Kinda the same thing that happened to Arian happened to me too. But instead of telling me it had not been posted, it said that the page could not be loaded, so I assumed that that meant it wasn't successfully posted.

RawBearNYC
2005-08-07, 02:02 PM
it neither means nor doesn't mean that. It means there was a problem downloading the data, but it neither guarantees that the data was posted or not posted.

Cougaar
2005-08-07, 06:25 PM
I've been having trouble getting my whole post to be accepted by the forum here:

Ever Dream Status Thread - Post #61 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=play;action=display;num=1117086607;s tart=60#60)

I keep getting the message "document contains no data" no matter what I try (reply->preview, reply->post, modify->preview, modify->post). Even waiting for 15 mins between trying doesn't help. I'll try again after I've slept a few hours, but it's kind of unnerving.

./edit
I guess it has to do with the character per post limit. If yes, I take my question back.