PDA

View Full Version : d4 dice

Linkavitch
2008-09-27, 06:10 PM
How do you tell which number on a d4 is the one on top? I'm just sayin'. . .

Teron
2008-09-27, 06:20 PM
Normally the numbers are in the corners, and whichever corner ends up pointing upward after a roll is the result. I've also seen some where the numbers are on the edges, so whichever number is upright along the bottom of the die is the result.

Here (http://dicepool.com/catalog/images/splats/pointy.jpg)'s an example of the first kind.

Here (http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/UVMaps/UVMapImages/UVTut2/D4Render.jpg)'s the second.

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-27, 06:20 PM
Roll a d4 and observe.

fractic
2008-09-27, 06:21 PM
Roll a d4 and observe.

Do you happen to be a scientist?

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-27, 06:24 PM
My initial assessment indicated that the possibility cannot be ruled out.

chiasaur11
2008-09-27, 06:25 PM

Only one way to test that.

Get the lightning machine.

Ricky S
2008-09-27, 06:28 PM
There are two types of d4 one of them has the number at the apex of the die on three sides of the die. The other has the number along the bottom of the die. personally i use the d4 with it along the apex as it is easier to read in a large fight.

Dode
2008-09-27, 06:33 PM
you use the number that is aligned perpendicular to the surface on which you are rolling

this is today's lesson on the "unintentional gamer caltrop" that is the d4.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-27, 06:45 PM
D4 is my favorite die - you can drop it on the floor as an impromptu caltrop, or shove it up the nose of an annoying player/DM. Endless fun at the table!

FMArthur
2008-09-27, 07:08 PM
I almost physically feel pain in my foot whenever the d4 is mentioned. Personally, I think I would prefer a d8 where every number from one to four is on two sides each. It's a d4, but easier to read and less of a painful surprise when missing.

Prometheus
2008-09-27, 07:46 PM
How do you tell which number on a d4 is the one on top? I'm just sayin'. . .
Usually it isn't time, because time is a non-spatial direction. Most people consider the "top" the normal vector to the Earth, that is the direction of the local gravitational potential gradient. However if we consider the solar system as a two-dimensional plane that rotates counterclockwise than the top part of our orientation must be North. Locating Polaris or using a compass is usually sufficient for these purposes. Of course if you are using spherical coordinates than top refers to a certain orientation rather than than a positional vector, and the most official answer would be the z-axis, or when the third value (fi if you are using mathematical notation, theta in physical notation) has the value of 0.

Thane of Fife
2008-09-27, 08:24 PM
D4 is my favorite die - you can drop it on the floor as an impromptu caltrop, or shove it up the nose of an annoying player/DM. Endless fun at the table!

Ah yes. I always enjoy a rousing game of "Find the d4." Grab some that match the carpet, scatter them across the floor.

Whoever has to go somewhere first loses.

Zocelot
2008-09-27, 08:42 PM

The world doesn't actually make sense. Science doesn't work. No one told you because you're so cute when you get into something.

chiasaur11
2008-09-27, 10:22 PM
The world doesn't actually make sense. Science doesn't work. No one told you because you're so cute when you get into something.

Now you're levitating!

ashmanonar
2008-09-27, 10:26 PM

*ZAAAPP*

Hmm, this button seems to zap me.

I wonder if...

*ZAAAPP*

Ahh, yes, it happened again.

Well, third time's the charm!

*ZAAAPP*

SoD
2008-09-27, 11:51 PM
*ZAAAPP*

Hmm, this button seems to zap me.

Normal person: "Hmm, I better not press that button again."

Scientist: "I wonder if it does that every time?"

*ZAAAPP**ZAAAPP**ZAAAPP**ZAAAPP**ZAAAPP*

Scientist: "It would appear so."

Normal person: "...idiot."

drengnikrafe
2008-09-28, 12:05 AM
What the normal person fails to understand, in this case, is that maybe the machine is designed with a random effect. For instance, maybe it rolls 1d8, and on a 1 it shocks you, and on a 2-7 nothing happens, and on an 8 it spits out a 100 dollar bill.

A scientist would make sure it didn't have such an awesome possible effect. A normal person would assume that, after 1 trial, you have all the possible effects. A 'normal human' would then think that Primtastic (or whatever) spray would ALWAYS have the effect it showed on the first time they saw it cast, in this mannor. A man of science (or someone who had heard of the spell) would know better.

magellan
2008-09-28, 07:41 PM
Also it is vitally important to ask every first time player for the d3 and then, when they hand you a d4 with pride, being able to discover it among the thousands of dice on the table, shake your head and let them keep looking.

Failure to do so ends the world or something like that.

Chronos
2008-09-28, 08:43 PM
Personally, I think I would prefer a d8 where every number from one to four is on two sides each. It's a d4, but easier to read and less of a painful surprise when missing.What I'd like, is a d120, with six numbers on each face in six different colors. The red numbers go from 1 to 4, and are repeated 30 times; the orange numbers go from 1 to 6, and are repeated 20 times; the yellow numbers go from 1 to 8, repeated 15 times, the green numbers go 1 to 10, repeated 12 times, the blue numbers go 1 to 12, repeated 10 times, and the purple numbers go 1 to 20, repeated 6 times. That way, you only have to roll one die ever, and you don't even have to decide which one you're rolling until after you do it.

Pie Guy
2008-09-28, 08:46 PM
I'm suprized nobody brought this in yet.
http://www.xkcd.com/242/

Collin152
2008-09-28, 08:46 PM
What I'd like, is a d120, with six numbers on each face in six different colors. The red numbers go from 1 to 4, and are repeated 30 times; the orange numbers go from 1 to 6, and are repeated 20 times; the yellow numbers go from 1 to 8, repeated 15 times, the green numbers go 1 to 10, repeated 12 times, the blue numbers go 1 to 12, repeated 10 times, and the purple numbers go 1 to 20, repeated 6 times. That way, you only have to roll one die ever, and you don't even have to decide which one you're rolling until after you do it.

This, sir, is genius.
You deserve a book, or maybe a trophy about you.

RTGoodman
2008-09-28, 08:50 PM
What I'd like, is a d120, with six numbers on each face in six different colors. The red numbers go from 1 to 4, and are repeated 30 times; the orange numbers go from 1 to 6, and are repeated 20 times; the yellow numbers go from 1 to 8, repeated 15 times, the green numbers go 1 to 10, repeated 12 times, the blue numbers go 1 to 12, repeated 10 times, and the purple numbers go 1 to 20, repeated 6 times. That way, you only have to roll one die ever, and you don't even have to decide which one you're rolling until after you do it.

I agree with Collin - that's the most ingenious thing I've ever heard. Somebody needs to get in touch with Kevin_Cook to make sure it hasn't been done (he'd know if it had), and then we need someone to start producing them ASAP.

FMArthur
2008-09-28, 08:53 PM
What, a d120 with 6 numbers somehow readable on each face is supposed to simplify your die rolling?

Collin152
2008-09-28, 08:54 PM
What, a d120 with 6 numbers somehow readable on each face is supposed to simplify your die rolling?

What does it matter?
It's cool.

Nohwl
2008-09-28, 08:55 PM
wouldnt that dice have to be sorta big to have all of those numbers on it?

Calinero
2008-09-28, 09:03 PM
I would definitely buy that d120. That sounds like a brilliant idea.

chiasaur11
2008-09-28, 09:11 PM
This, sir, is genius.
You deserve a book, or maybe a trophy about you.

Or a Pizza.

Maybe a Pizza Trophy.

Calinero
2008-09-28, 09:16 PM
Or a Pizza.

Maybe a Pizza Trophy.

But a Pizza Trophy would quickly be eaten, and its glory would no longer shine....

Unless....

A Pizza Trophy that is guaranteed to be replaced forever! An all you can eat Pizza Trophy!

RTGoodman
2008-09-28, 09:28 PM

Not really - just use smaller-sized numbers. :smallwink:

And they already make big dice anyway - I've got a countdown-style d20 like THIS ONE (http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/dice/byManufacturer/koplow/d20/v5748btpy781f) that'd be big enough if you used smallish numbers, and WAY big enough if you used normal-sized numbers like on standard-sized dice.

Glimbur
2008-09-28, 09:28 PM
Also it is vitally important to ask every first time player for the d3 and then, when they hand you a d4 with pride, being able to discover it among the thousands of dice on the table, shake your head and let them keep looking.

Failure to do so ends the world or something like that.

I actually have four d3. They were purchased by mistake for me as a gift.

Before you get all geometric on me, they're just six sided dice that go 1-3 twice.

Zocelot
2008-09-28, 09:31 PM

Thinkgeek sells dice the size of golfballs (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/745a/). I'd think that's big enough. They're $15 dollars each, but that's not too much more then a nice set of dice, and it would be totally awesome to have every single dice packed into one.

Edea
2008-09-28, 09:34 PM
http://dicepool.com/catalog/images/splats/pointy.jpg

Sums up the d4 nicely. Here's an example of an 'apex' d4.

kjones
2008-09-28, 11:30 PM
At my table, I threaten unruly players with the "walk of a thousand four-siders". The scary thing is, I probably have enough dice to pull it off.