PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's turn

Liwen
2008-09-27, 10:18 PM
Everything since the start of the azurite fleet storyline has been pretty much Elan and V based actions and sub plots. There was alos therkla for a while, which was a nice story of how some people try to get the best of everything and end up with nothing, but now she's dead. Kubota is dead too, Quarr is probably on the run, the PIt Fiend is stoned, the Katos are safe.

I think it's about time Durkon gets his turn at the table. He's been participating to battles, conducted a wedding and made a few jokes, but that's about it. Maybe he'll be to one who gives V a spark of sanity again? With his wisdom score, he could certainly expose her the wrong of her ways. Or maybe he just leveled up with the Pit fiend fight and can now cast True Ressurection? Nah that's wishfull thinking.

Anyway, it's been a problem since the very start of the coming, acknowleged by Rich himself that Durkon doesn't get enough prime star showtime. Mostly because his character is too stable and too normal to focus on. Sure he had a few moments, like in the Cliffport arc and back in the dungeon with that ohter cleric I can't spell the name, but can he have a twist? A feature that would make him stand out of the usual crowd of high level clerics?

basilisk 89
2008-09-28, 12:17 PM
I agree. I do believe that at one point we will get something for Durkon. He hasn't had a subplot-focus-thing since Cliffport, if you count that. Or the bandits, if you count that. Or if you really want to be specific, that time when he got separated from everyone else in the dungeon with Hilgya.

snowbard55
2008-09-28, 03:12 PM
This is a very good point. Durkon does need more screen time. I like the idea of him sort of reigning in V and her obssesion.

Warren Dew
2008-09-28, 03:22 PM
Everything since the start of the azurite fleet storyline has been pretty much Elan and V based actions and sub plots.

I think, more accurately, you could say "... has been pretty much Elan based actions and sub plots." There's an argument that Vaarsuvius has gotten even less screen time than Durkon, who has for example married the Katos and participated in the orc island arc.

I don't think spotlight time is really a matter of "taking turns", anyway. I'd rather see more of the characters working together, sharing the spotlight rather than taking turns with it.

I wouldn't mind seeing more illumination of Durkon's character, as we've seen with Vaarsuvius in the last couple of strips, but we already know quite a lot (especially if we've read On the Origins of PCs). I don't think Durkon needs to change the way Haley and Elan have; it's okay if some characters are stable.

I'd also note that in Origins, Durkon had already undergone significant changes in his relationship with the human lands to which he's been exiled, as a result of his partnership with Roy. I'm unconvinced that more is needed.

mockingbyrd7
2008-09-28, 04:51 PM
Durkon doesn't get a turn. Love him or hate him, you have to admit that he's the "6th character" of the group. If you took out just about any of the others, the story would be changed quite a bit. If you took out Durkon, the comic would be relatively the same.

We're almost 600 comics in and what has he had? In the early days, he got a 4 or 5 strip love subplot that went nowhere and showed off what a Vulcan he is. He blew up a druid in Cliffport. He was the resolution to the bandit subplot. Other than that, he's pretty much been atmosphere and healing.

To me, this either means that Durkon is going to get a HUGE turn at some point or no turn at all.

Axl_Rose
2008-09-28, 05:20 PM
Well, at least there was that bit with him and Hilgya, haha.

Flickerdart
2008-09-28, 05:41 PM
The druid blowing up was awesome, you have to admit. But yes, Durkon deserves the spotlight, even for a little while. Me, I'm holding out for a Vaarsuvius VS Durkon caster duel, where V gets his ultimate arcane power for the express purpose of Durkon-slaying. Ties up two of the prophecies, too.