PDA

View Full Version : Covers you'd like hear

Moff Chumley
2008-09-27, 11:01 PM
Basically, name a song, and a band that you'd like to hear covering it. For example; King Tubby covering Paranoid (Black Sabbath). Recently while jamming, we started playing a dub version of Paranoid, and it was unbelievably (alas, my poor spelcheck) awesome. That reminds me, include some form of justification. Anyway:
1) Spocks Beard (with Neal Morse) covering Roundabout (Yes). Neal's voice would be terrific on this track, and The Beards keybaord work would be terrific on this track. The intricate backup vocals The Beard can do are easily on par with Yes's, and Alan Morse's laid-back guitar would sound cool on this.
2) RHCP covering Its Different for Girls (Joe Jackson). It feels really right, and I think Anthony could do a great job on Joe's vocals. Flea's bass would be a cnice adition, as well.
3) Joe Jackson covering The Royal Scam (Steely Dan). JJ does lots of Steely Dan covers, but I think that his sparse style and powerful vocals would have a really chilling effect on this song, especially if he was only doing it with a bass and drum backup.
4) Dream Theater covering Southbound Pachyderm (Primus). I'd love to here DT do a jam on this; it would be such a cool change of pace from their usual stuff. I think that John Myung could pull off the bassline really well, and MP and John Petrucci would make up for Tim Herb and Larry LaLonde's lack of complete mastery. (Almost complete, but not to the level of DT.) I also want to hear what Jordan Rudess could do on this...

Thoughts?

streakster
2008-09-27, 11:32 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen! We now are proud to present The Seatbelts cover everything ever!

That's all I need.

DraPrime
2008-09-27, 11:47 PM
I'd live to hear Green Day attempt to pull off a cover of Painkiller by Judas Priest. For the comedic gold that would result from this.

doliest
2008-09-27, 11:52 PM
In order to meld some of my favorite bands into something hopefully awesome but likely crap-

Insane clown posse covering shut me up by mindless self indulgence.

RTGoodman
2008-09-28, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure why, but I've always thought Alabama's "I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6slibTD9MF0)" would be a cool song for Bon Jovi to cover.

Innis Cabal
2008-09-28, 12:20 AM
Barbie Girl- Cannibal Corpse

Moff Chumley
2008-09-28, 01:15 PM

No. You fail.

Also, Doliest, I could've guessed that you like Mindless Self Indulgence...

Innis Cabal
2008-09-28, 01:31 PM
Silly me, here I thought we were listing covers we wanted to hear....

TheBST
2008-09-28, 01:36 PM
Tom Waits doing 'Shiny Happy People'.

Vaynor
2008-09-28, 02:08 PM
Silly me, here I thought we were listing covers we wanted to hear....

Opinions have no place in a thread on opinion. You should know better.

MisterSaturnine
2008-09-28, 02:12 PM

Yay Tom Waits! I was just going to post my suggestion:

Tom Waits singing Put On a Happy Face (or Rosie) from Bye Bye Birdie.

Also, Conor Oberst or Damien Rice singing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For would be interesting.

doliest
2008-09-28, 02:19 PM
No. You fail.

Also, Doliest, I could've guessed that you like Mindless Self Indulgence...

Really? Why? Also I like ICP, in case you skipped that:smallamused:

SurlySeraph
2008-09-28, 02:54 PM

I support this. And I want to hear Miley Cyrus sing Dead Skin Mask.

On a more serious note, I'd love to hear a Rage Against the Machine cover of Dittohead (by Slayer).

Innis Cabal
2008-09-28, 02:59 PM
Opinions have no place in a thread on opinion. You should know better.

It was an oversight, I performed the pentiance by watching several episodes of Extreme Home Makeover

And I to would like to hear that Surly. Very much. There are some other songs by them I would like to hear by several of the popstars, but I'd get banned if I listed them

Stand(R.E.M) redone by Ablaze my sorrow's would be pretty good to

bosssmiley
2008-09-29, 03:45 AM

The Nick Cave version of "Numa Numa" would pwn it. :smallamused:

The infamous Innis Cabal beat me to the "Barbie Girl" ref. :smallcool:

Ascension
2008-09-29, 10:47 AM
The Nick Cave version of "Numa Numa" would pwn it. :smallamused:

I have no idea how or why, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read that line was Epica Caramelldansen.

Pauwel
2008-09-29, 12:54 PM
Jordan Rudess with a vocoder covering Queen's Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

Radiohead covering Opeth's Windowpane.

Tommy Emmanuel covering Nobue Uematsu's To Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X, providing he arranges it awesomely as an acoustic guitar solo.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-30, 06:34 PM
Jordan Rudess with a vocoder covering Queen's Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

Radiohead covering Opeth's Windowpane.

Tommy Emmanuel covering Nobue Uematsu's To Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X, providing he arranges it awesomely as an acoustic guitar solo.

Yay for DT! Jordan Rudess, Mike Portney and Tony Levin covering The Hut Of Baba Yaga by ELP would be epic.

Telonius
2008-10-02, 02:02 PM
Dave Grohl covering "Behind Blue Eyes."

One that deserves a cover, but I have no idea who would go with it - "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-02, 02:05 PM
A country cover of Black Rose Immortal - Opeth by Paul & Storm or Jonathan Coulton.

It would be awesome and hilarious.

Lorn
2008-10-02, 02:09 PM
Turisas covering One Nation, Trance Nation by Earthbound.

Battle metal cover of a trance song? They're epic enough to do it AND pull it off. They already did a cover of Rasputin...

Jenkins
2008-10-02, 02:50 PM
RHCP covers Time.

Actually, I don't even know that I would want to hear that. But just knowing that it exhisted would make me undiscribable amounts of happy.

Darth Mario
2008-10-02, 03:39 PM
RHCP covers Time.

Actually, I don't even know that I would want to hear that. But just knowing that it exhisted would make me undiscribable amounts of happy.

I'm thinking more a RHCP cover of Money. Epic baseline plus epic bassist equals epic win.

Hmm...

I'd like to hear a Dresden Dolls cover of Radiohead's "Karma Police".

bosssmiley
2008-10-03, 03:51 AM
Bjork covering Radiohead's "Creep". Dolphins would explode from the noises thus created!

Oh, and Aqua do "Hurt" (NIN/Johnny Cash).

Pauwel
2008-10-03, 07:20 AM
Actually, another thing that would be awesome and hilarious would be Dream Theater's In The Presence of Enemies by Alison Krauss & Union Station.

Seriously.

Telonius
2008-10-03, 08:44 AM
Blind Guardian covering "Carry On Wayward Son"

Arlion
2008-10-03, 01:29 PM
Metallica doing a cover of Deep Purple Highway star

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-10-03, 01:35 PM
Already found the best cover-ish piece EVAR:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=81gF4YSC0VI&feature=related

Gaelbert
2008-10-03, 02:13 PM
Celine Dion covering You Shook Me All Night Long.
Oh, wait. (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QjMOW0xeqUI):smalleek:

Oregano
2008-10-03, 02:23 PM
For some reason I want AFI to cover a Foreigner song, no idea why though.

I'd like a decent cover of Jesus Christ Pose by Soundgarden but I don't know who could do it justice, doubt there's many people who can equal Chris Cornell's vocals.

Cyrano
2008-10-03, 06:55 PM
Everyone covering everything else. Simultaneously.

Innis Cabal
2008-10-03, 07:06 PM
But...thats madness!

Raistlin1040
2008-10-03, 08:46 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers doing a real funky Train Kept A-Rollin'.
David Bowie doing a real glammed up (Ziggy Stardust era) Traink Kept A-Rollin'.

Really, anyone doing Train. It's my own personal Free Bird. I have Yardbirds, Aerosmith, and Motorhead all doing it on my Zune.

Also, Coldplay doing Heroes. Partly because I think Chris Martin could pull off the vocals, and partly because I think it would be right up their alley.