PDA

View Full Version : What to do with brilliant stats (or what to play, mindblank)

SoD
2008-09-27, 11:57 PM
OK, I'm soon starting up playing in a campaign (DnD 3.5). I was previously playing a Skarn Conjuror, but I've had to drop that, as I can't happily fit him into the starting area.

Dome City (not real name). An over ground city, run, ruled and inhabited by drow mainly. There's a magical dome over it, which nearly stops the sunlight, while still letting a small amount through. Basically, we still have the daylight cicle, and it's affected by clouds, but it's low light vision, which doesn't hurt the drows eyes. Magic is illegal by non-drows, but there's a sewer magic school hidden in the sewers for non-drow magic users.

The other players: C? Dwarven Barbarian, ?? (Probably CN/CG) something telekineticist, and ?? (probably C?) something phychic warrior, and a ?? something something (probably a something rogue). They all have good but not brilliant stats (like most PC's). Starting a ECL 1, all books 3.5 and 3e allowed, including monster races.

I have rolled, in order: 16 15 16 17 18 10. And don't know what to play(!). Any ideas?

Fax Celestis
2008-09-28, 12:00 AM
/me pimps the new class in his sig.

>_>

<_<

>_>

streakster
2008-09-28, 12:02 AM
Drow Warlock!

Seriously. You can even turn into a giant spider that that shoots eye lasers to turn people into swarms of spiders!

Tell me that's not cool. I dare you.

EDIT: Wait, forget that. Do what Fax says.

Breaw
2008-09-28, 01:05 AM
With stats like that you could take this opportunity to play a monk that didn't get walked all over by the other players... without even cheesing wands with 2 charges left and way too much UMD.

When I rolled the most ridiculous stats of my gaming career (18, 16, 16, 15, 13, 12) I made a cleric of Kord. 18 str, 16 dex, 16 con, 15 wis... he was a barrel of fun. I played him as a bit of an idiot who was always up for a good fight, but generally willing to follow what other people in the party wanted to do. In that way I prevented him from alienating the rest of the party with his metalocity.

God, just thinking about character gives me goose bumps. Domains luck and strength, Greatsword with a huge symbol of Kord on it... (Think Kronk from 'The emperors new groove').

Anyway, I recommend 1 of 2 things really. First is pick a class that generally has problems with MAD. If not that, then pick a class and have them doing something they generally don't do. You could play a bard with highest stats in Str/Con/Dex for instance and still have the cha and int to be a respectable bard in their standard roles. You nerf the power of your character a little, but it's a ton of fun to be effecting with typically very sub optimal builds because of stats to back you up. (A side note: Greatsword with 18 str is ridiculously awesome low level regardless of what class you're playing)

Kaihaku
2008-09-28, 01:41 AM
Well, it's a good opening to play a Monk that doesn't suck. If you want to own and not have a challenge, then any old MAD caster class.

ninjaed.

Gralamin
2008-09-28, 01:48 AM
/me pimps the new class in his sig.

>_>

<_<

>_>

Holy cow, its Fax!

Seriously, if you can get the ability to play his rogue, I'd recommend doing it.

sonofzeal
2008-09-28, 02:01 AM
My advice? "Anything you want to". This is your chance to, rather than try to figure out what class fits those rolls, just choose whatever appeals to you most at the moment. Whatever you do it's going to be pretty impressive, so do what you feel like. Play that "Hulk Smash" barbarian, or "legendary thief" rogue, or "kung fu master" monk. Be free!

Voyager_I
2008-09-28, 02:18 AM
It's practically a call to play either a Monk, Ranger, or Paladin that approaches the descriptions from the SRD.

RTGoodman
2008-09-28, 02:34 AM
I'd personally play a Paladin, Cleric, or some sort of Fighter/Cleric/Prestige Paladin. You don't even need to fully ClericZilla it up to do some damage with:

Str 17
Dex 15 (or 10)
Con 16
Int 10 (or 15)
Wis 18
Cha 16

You've got the Cha for a lot of DMM or Divine feats, the Str and Con for melee, and an 18 Wis, which always makes things better.

FMArthur
2008-09-28, 11:07 AM
Go chameleon! Do everything! Either do the normal factotum -> PrC chameleon, or the BC one in my sig!

wadledo
2008-09-28, 11:28 AM
Or a really stupidly nonsensical monster class.
Like Chain devil.

ocato
2008-09-28, 12:11 PM
Play Batman!

No, not that nonsense with the wizard crap. The Barbarian/Fighter/Avenging Executioner/(maybe ghostfaced killer?) with Kiai Shout and a bunch of chain tripping feats! You leap into the middle of a group of enemies, rage/Kiai Shout (GRARRR), they all piss themselves, and you suddenstrike/trip them as they try to run for their mommas. You have the stats to ensure a decently high save (charisma based) and still enough to make sure you get combat expertise and have a good dex and everything. It'd be oodles of noodles of fun! Add either a powerful build race or the Jotunbrud (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Jotunbrud,) feat from races of Faerun if you can get it and everything is easy-peazy. Please note that while not explicitly stated, some DMs allow you to use the Jotunbrud feat to wield a large weapon as well. I'd talk to your individual DM about this, as it's controversial and mildly epic.

Sidenote: This is not a specific or ideal representation of batman, it's just a fear-striking fight 5-6 guys by yourself type, which while batman-esq, is admittedly only one aspect of the Caped Crusader. Please do not PM, respond, or otherwise heckle me with "more accurate" batman builds because I neither care nor like you. Kidding about the second part, I like you. Let's be friends. For serious, when this is all over, we should get a place together or something.

Fax Celestis
2008-09-28, 12:46 PM
Sidenote: This is not a specific or ideal representation of batman, it's just a fear-striking fight 5-6 guys by yourself type, which while batman-esq, is admittedly only one aspect of the Caped Crusader. Please do not PM, respond, or otherwise heckle me with "more accurate" batman builds because I neither care nor like you. Kidding about the second part, I like you. Let's be friends. For serious, when this is all over, we should get a place together or something.

Oh, I did miss you.

Eldariel
2008-09-28, 01:56 PM
Play a Do-It-All Fighter.

Cha 15 gets you Imperious Command. Int 13 gets you Trip-chain and all that. Dex for AoOs, Str for all combat maneuvers and Con for life. Dump Wis.

Dr Bwaa
2008-09-28, 04:03 PM
I second the "put good stats in unlikely places" thought. It invariably leads to fun and games, especially if you play something tricky so your party members have no idea what you actually are.
Rogue: "I'm just an everyday fighter who picks locks, doesn't wear armor, can use magic wands and is just as good with a siangham as I am with a longsword. What's hard to understand?"