PDA

View Full Version : [4e Paragon Path] "Where in the Nine Hells did this blasted javelin come from?"

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 03:02 PM
Head Hunter
“A javelin in your head is a great way to start the morning”

Prerequisite: Weapon Proficiency with Javelins, Weapon Focus Spears

You focus on seeing and hitting your enemy before they hit you. In an ideal situation, you kill them before they can reach you. You are great at disengaging foes so you can throw your javelins from afar, as well as finding more and more creative ways to kill them before they can reach you.

Head Hunter Path Features
Disengaging Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra move action, you do not provoke opportunity attacks and your speed increases by 1 until the end of your next turn.
Head Hunting (11th level): You can score a critical hit with a javelin on a roll of 18-20
Head Shot (16th level): When you score a critical hit on an enemy with a javelin, the enemy is knocked prone.

Hamstring Shot Head Hunter Attack 11
“You aim your javelin with great precision, hamstringing your foe and preventing him from chasing you… or running away”“
Encounter * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a javelin.
Attack: Strength or Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + strength or dexterity modifier damage and the target is slowed (save ends)

Skirmish Head Hunter Utility 12
“You are quick on your feet, sacrificing defences in favour of mobility”
Daily * Martial, Stance
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You suffer a -2 penalty to all defences, but you gain a +2 power bonus to speed and can shift as a minor action.

Arc Lightning Head Hunter Attack 20
“Your javelin becomes a bolt of lightning, and it moves with great swiftness as it bounces among your dismayed foes”
Daily * Martial, Lightning, Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a javelin
Target: One creature in range
Attack: Dexterity or Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 3[W] + strength or dexterity modifier lightning damage.
Secondary Target: One creature within 5 squares of the primary target.
Attack: Strength or Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + strength or dexterity modifier lightning damage
Tertiary Targets: All enemies within 20 squares of the primary target
Hit: 1[W] + dexterity modifier lightning damage
Special: Any creatures you score a critical hit on with this power are also dazed (save ends)

Good thing these Paragon Paths only take like 10 minutes to whip up, or people might start thinking I don't have a life...
Anyways, some attention given to the ever lonely Javelin. Could work great on a Ranged Ranger, a Leader or even a Challenge Abuse Paladin.
PEACH!

Zocelot
2008-09-28, 03:10 PM
Javelins are normally heavy thrown, so I'd recommend switching the Head Hunting feature for something that lets you use your dex for other powers with Javelins.

Also, Rogues don't get sneak attack with weapons other then light blades, crossbows, or slings, and a javelin is neither.

Siegel
2008-09-28, 03:12 PM
I thought about playing a Javelin Warlord and call him a Elonian Paragon. This will help i hope.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 03:21 PM
Javelins are normally heavy thrown, so I'd recommend switching the Head Hunting feature for something that lets you use your dex for other powers with Javelins.

Also, Rogues don't get sneak attack with weapons other then light blades, crossbows, or slings, and a javelin is neither.

Some paragon paths, such as Angelic Avenger, Elemental Tempest and Silverstar gain 3 level 11 features, but one of them does not confer a huge mechanical bonus.

I think that letting head hunters use dex instead of strength for their other attacks using javelins would not be overpowered to add, but it certainly would not measure up to the value of Head Hunting. Also, you're right, they can't be an artful dodger. That's unfortunate, but w/e, they still make great rangers and challenge abuse pallies.

Rigon
2008-09-28, 03:36 PM
Head Hunter
Arc Lightning Head Hunter Attack 20
“Your javelin becomes a bolt of lightning, and it moves with great swiftness as it bounces among your dismayed foes”
Daily * Martial, Lightning, Weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a javelin
Target: One creature in range
Hit: 3[W] + strength or dexterity modifier lightning damage.
Secondary Target: One creature within 5 squares of the primary target.
Attack: Strength or Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + strength or dexterity modifier damage
Tertiary Targets: All enemies within 20 squares of the primary target
Hit: 1[W] + dexterity modifier damage
Special: Any creatures you score a critical hit on with this power are also dazed (save ends)

the primary does lightning damage (lightning javelin... clear)

the secondary does ?weapon? damage (lightning flushed on prim... javelin bounce... could work)
can the secondary hit the primary's target?

the tertiary does ?weapon? damage? and it's a burst?
i don't understand how a javelin could hit a giant group of enemies.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 04:02 PM
the primary does lightning damage (lightning javelin... clear)

the secondary does ?weapon? damage (lightning flushed on prim... javelin bounce... could work)
can the secondary hit the primary's target?

the tertiary does ?weapon? damage? and it's a burst?
i don't understand how a javelin could hit a giant group of enemies.

The second and tertiary do lightning. That was a typo.

The "every other creature within 20 squares" deal is to signify it bouncing to all of them without have to go through tetratary and pentiary attacks. 2nd attack cannot target the recipient of the first attack, and 3rd attack cannot target either the first or second target.

Rigon
2008-09-28, 04:16 PM
uhm... question: isn't 20 square radius too big?

that would be an area of R*R*PI... 20*20*3.14... above 1200 squares.
that is quite a minion sweeper... when we are in a war.
if it's intentional or i missed something (like something in the rulebook) then sorry.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 04:19 PM

if it's intentional or i missed something (like something in the rulebook) then sorry.

Chain Lightning, pg. 167 of the PHB. Wizard level 23 Encounter Power, for reference. I based the ability primarily off of this, and it has the bonus for critting them, but is 3 levels lower, but is a daily, so I figured it evens out.

Mando Knight
2008-09-28, 05:42 PM

You underestimate the full power of non-Euclidian geometry. It's actually 20^2 * 4 squares, or a 1600 square burst. Of course, Wizard powers aren't exactly the best baseline for a fighter or warlord's power, given that Wizard powers are meant for battlefield control rather than face-to-face combat...

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 06:19 PM
You underestimate the full power of non-Euclidian geometry. It's actually 20^2 * 4 squares, or a 1600 square burst. Of course, Wizard powers aren't exactly the best baseline for a fighter or warlord's power, given that Wizard powers are meant for battlefield control rather than face-to-face combat...

I know that it is a controller-ish move, but think of it this way: If you were being chased by an army, what would you want to do? I think slowing them down with a ricocheting lightning bolt that completely breaks the momentum of on average 3/20ths of them (critical Arc dazed + Head Shot knocked prone) would be a pretty good choice.

Plus, skirmisher is basically an excuse for having a martial controller/striker focused on mobility, so I figure it fits alright.

Zocelot
2008-09-28, 07:26 PM
I'd recommend lowering Head Hunting to 19-20, 18-20 at epic levels, if they take the appropriate feat.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 08:04 PM
I'd recommend lowering Head Hunting to 19-20, 18-20 at epic levels, if they take the appropriate feat.

It is exactly the same as the Daggermaster feature, except for javelins
They even have a 16 feature that gives them a bonus on criticals

Baretz Sonoc
2010-09-25, 10:37 AM
I agree with the lowered crit range. 19-20 is most common in epic, and 18-20 is because people have skills that let it. The rogues are strikers, and alot need the extra damage to fulfill that striker role of theirs. However, this does seem to be focusing on damage, but I think it could get a little imba with alot of attacks that swing a lot. Your call, of course, just adding my two cents.