PDA

View Full Version : Fulfilment of Prophecies

Lichtouch
2008-09-28, 03:27 PM
Somehow, I think the story isn't going as slow as you think it might. Every member of the party was predicted something and slowly but surely, these different things are going being fulfilled.

For example, V is going to acheive total ultimate arcane power by saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all of the wrong reasons. Right now, it seems to be approaching the stage where this might be fulfilled, as V slides further away from neutral and becomes more and more obsessed with its goal of contacting Haley.

Of course, some of the other prophecies might take some time - the story must end happily for Elan, the dwarf returns to his homeland after death and there's a small chance that Belkar might kill another character that we all love.

So, does anyone else think V's time is nigh?

Kaytara
2008-09-28, 03:36 PM
Counter-question: How can the Order stand a chance against Xykon & Co. without an arcane caster who is not a bard? Vaarsuvius leaving the picture at this point would make them need a replacement, and 13th level wizards willing to take up the cause of good aren't exactly in abundance. Not to mention that it would mean introducing a new character, and for that character to simply replace V in the Order would be lame.

Lichtouch
2008-09-28, 05:00 PM
I suspect that V would obtain this ultimate power and then attempt to use it on Xykon. Although, absolute power corrupts absolutely, so who knows what might happen.

gamerboy6000
2008-09-28, 06:53 PM
I think V won't achieve ultimate power until near the end of the comic, lest he/she become corrupted, and/or a magic wielding god.

EDIT: I was wrong! V has already gained ultimate power! Disintegrate, Gust of Wind, four words, wrong reasons.

Deepkicker
2008-09-28, 09:37 PM
Counter-question: How can the Order stand a chance against Xykon & Co. without an arcane caster who is not a bard? Vaarsuvius leaving the picture at this point would make them need a replacement, and 13th level wizards willing to take up the cause of good aren't exactly in abundance. Not to mention that it would mean introducing a new character, and for that character to simply replace V in the Order would be lame.

We should probably be open to the possibility that V gaining ultimate arcane power won't necessarily mean that he'll be 'leaving the picture'.
The prophecies, while seemingly direct, are in all likelihood extremely vague and misleading. It's all up in the air right now, including the nature in which V will gain the power.

Kaytara
2008-09-28, 11:07 PM
We should probably be open to the possibility that V gaining ultimate arcane power won't necessarily mean that he'll be 'leaving the picture'.
The prophecies, while seemingly direct, are in all likelihood extremely vague and misleading. It's all up in the air right now, including the nature in which V will gain the power.

I wasn't saying V would die as the result of gaining power. I was replying to the last two parts of the OP: "V's time is nigh" and Belkar possibly being the one to kill him.

However, I disagree with the idea that V can gain Ultimate Arcane Power for any extended period of time and still have the same role in the comic... It would be utterly unbalanced and would solve too many of their problems at this point. But as I said, the last encounters have shown how critical V's contributions are to the success of the team (and Haley's difficulties in Cliffport are also something that could easily be solved with a fireball or two), so I don't think V will be leaving the team either.

Finwe
2008-09-28, 11:22 PM

Yes, for example:

He may gain 'ultimate power' in such a way that he has the potential to wield infinite/ultimate power, but channeling the power has some drawback that prevents him from pressing the 'I win' button.

Or, given the oracle's penchant for twisting of words, he may mean 'ultimate' in the 'final' rather than 'unparalleled' sense.

Nibelung
2008-09-28, 11:29 PM
Or (s)he could just achieve level 17 and get acess to 9th level spells, which is the ultimate arcane power. Epic spellcasting is a way to bend this limit at will (almost), but talking in pure power, 9th level is the top tier.

Finwe
2008-09-28, 11:49 PM
Or (s)he could just achieve level 17 and get acess to 9th level spells, which is the ultimate arcane power. Epic spellcasting is a way to bend this limit at will (almost), but talking in pure power, 9th level is the top tier.

Epic spells are ultimate arcane power, not 9th level spells. 9th level spells are limited in scope just as every lower level spell is. Sure, they're incredibly powerful, but they're not ultimate arcane power. With epic spells, you can literally do anything. You can design an epic level spell to:

1. Kill/resurrect any being, anywhere on your plane, whenever you want (with arbitrarily high save DC and SR penetration).

2. Make your ability scores arbitrarily high.

3. Stop time. Forever.

You can't even come close to that with 9th level spells.

Nibelung
2008-09-29, 12:42 AM
But epic spells arent exactly "spells". They are more like rituals that you execute in specific times. Sure, there are some epic spells that have a casting time usable in battle, but they are few when you look at the options that epic spellcasting give you.

So, "spellistically" talking, 9th level is the top tier. Epic spellcasting is just power to move worlds and that are used one time each blue moon.

Setra
2008-09-29, 01:13 AM
What if Ultimate Arcane Power is just an item of some sort..?

Like a World Shattering Artifact...?

That V could obtain and yet not know about...?

David Argall
2008-09-29, 02:21 AM
If V gains untimate magic power any time in the next 400 strips, she will lose it one way or another before 10 more strips have focused on him.

Hippoboy
2008-09-29, 02:38 AM
V will gain ultimate power then have a epithany that her obessesion is driving her crazy/evil and gives it up.

That's just my idea though

Finwe
2008-09-29, 02:43 AM
But epic spells arent exactly "spells". They are more like rituals that you execute in specific times. Sure, there are some epic spells that have a casting time usable in battle, but they are few when you look at the options that epic spellcasting give you.

So, "spellistically" talking, 9th level is the top tier. Epic spellcasting is just power to move worlds and that are used one time each blue moon.

Wait, so a spell is only a spell if its casting time is a standard action?

And why do only 'spells' that fit your definition of spells count as arcane power? Isn't any manipulation of arcane energy a manifestation of arcane power?

aarondirebear
2008-09-29, 04:47 AM
I suspect that V would obtain this ultimate power and then attempt to use it on Xykon. Although, absolute power corrupts absolutely, so who knows what might happen.

Absolutely != 100% of the time.
Besides you're misquoting it.

Its power TENDS to corrupt, not that it always does.

Plus just because one anti power bozo said power always corrupts don't make it true.

DariusAPB
2008-09-29, 05:44 AM
Power corrupts, absolute power is even more fun....

What do you think about the four words? I am thinking that the obvious, and thus incorrect would be "I love you Haley".

hamishspence
2008-09-29, 01:56 PM
Jack Ryan novel The Bear and the Dragon "Power corrupts, and absolute power is actually pretty neat. So said a staffer for one of your predecessors"

I like the phrasing elsewhere (not sure where) "Power attracts the corruptible"

OmegaDonut
2008-09-29, 03:19 PM
The prophecy has already begun to fulfill itself.

V has said four words: Disintegrate. Gust of Wind.

At the right time: Just when Kubota boasts that he will be cleared by the magistrate. (Although, I admit, this is highly debatable.

Wrong reason: Elan thought V took out Kubota because he deserved it. V actually took out Kubota for the sake of expediency.

Droodle
2008-09-29, 03:28 PM
You know, it never said that V would get to keep the power once she gets it. He may only have it for a matter of moments, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about V leaving the strip after attaining ultimate arcane power.

Spiky
2008-09-29, 04:22 PM
Absolutely != 100% of the time.
Besides you're misquoting it.

Its power TENDS to corrupt, not that it always does.

Plus just because one anti power bozo said power always corrupts don't make it true.

What's an example of it not being true? Real life, of course.

Nibelung
2008-09-29, 06:02 PM
Wait, so a spell is only a spell if its casting time is a standard action?

And why do only 'spells' that fit your definition of spells count as arcane power? Isn't any manipulation of arcane energy a manifestation of arcane power?

Yes and no.

True, epic spellcasting is much more powerfull than anything that you even dream in non-epic levels. But it's "only" a single feat that allow you to create epic spells as a type of ritual. It's like if i say "i want to be the supreme warrior" and they tell me that i will get it when i choose the Dire Charge feat.

If a (dumb) caster dont get the Epic Spellcasting feat, he still is a epic spellcaster, but he cant cast nothing over 9th level. Maybe more powerfull versions of it with metamagics, but still 9th level spells.