PDA

View Full Version : To avoid 15 min adventuring day how over powered is this

Akisa
2008-09-28, 04:51 PM
When someone has a +2 Attribute item equipped it augments the level specific buff spell to 1 hr/ caster level.

For example someone with +2 str item casting on that person would change bull strength to 1/hr level on that person. However if the caster casts Bull Strength on someone without +2str item then it's still 1 min /level.

fractic
2008-09-28, 04:59 PM
It sounds totally unneeded.

Also casters with a +2 item now basically get +4 instead for only one level 2 spell slot. In return they get a bonus spell (of higher level probably) and higher spell DC's all day long.

RebelRogue
2008-09-28, 05:06 PM
I agree. Unneeded. Stat boosters are some of the stuff that is almost too good as is anyway, especially for casters.

Jack_Simth
2008-09-28, 05:07 PM
In my experience, that's not what makes for a 15 minute adventuring day.

What makes for the 15 minute adventuring day is the Full Casters running out of their top-tier spells and/or the non-casters running low on HP when there's not a lot of cheap healing available, and/or leaving terrain "quiet" enough that everyone simply walks from encounter to encounter.

Now, the Cleric with Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) applied to Mass Lesser Vigor, on the other hand, with a Wizard that uses reserve feats, THAT will get rid of the "15 minute adventuring day" - everyone can go all day, just taking a few minutes between fights to heal up.

Putting traps in random locations in hallways - that'll usually get rid of the fifteen minute adventuring day (you need to search all along the hallways - and at 1 full round action per five-foot square searched for traps, it can take a while to get from one room to another).

A little time-pressure so they really do need to get through four encounters in a day - that'll get rid of the 15-minute adventuring day.

Extending the 1 minute/level buffs? Not so much.

UglyPanda
2008-09-28, 05:07 PM
I think the problem is with the players, not the mechanics. It seems like this would only be a problem if the players flat out refuse to perform combat unless they're completely buffed. I don't get why this change would be needed.

Yakk
2008-09-28, 08:45 PM
Remove the "after a night's rest, X" from every PC power.

Rest:
Every night, you get back your con bonus in HP plus 1/10th (rounded down) your max HP. This amount increases by 1 HP, cumulatively, for every day past the first you rest.

Recovery:
In order for Priests to recover spells, they have to succeed at a significant quest that advances their dieties will.

In order for ToB/Barbarians to recover per-day powers, they have to have a significant victory against a sufficiently challenging opponent.

In order for Arcane Casters to recover per-day powers (such as spells), they need to find a source of 'unbound' arcane energy of sufficient strength, and drain it. (Some magical monsters contain such a source, and some locations contain such a source). Such sources can dissipate at any time, and are rarely if ever portable.

Priests can regain a level X spell by spending X days praying, sacrificing, and doing deeds their deity would want to reward. This can have a significant GP cost.

Arcane casters can regain a level X spell by spending X days reading, researching, and doing magical experiments. This can have a significant GP cost.

Martial combatants (barbarians, ToB classes, etc) can regain a power by spending a certain number of days resting, recuperating, and enjoying the finer things in life. This can have a significant GP cost.

In addition, characters who succeed at a significant task can have their HP increased to half of their max, as their morale is boosted by their successes.

---

This gives control of the regaining of powers to the DM. It can be paced in such a way that you get (gasp) 4 encounters before you get to recover your powers. :-)

Flickerdart
2008-09-28, 08:47 PM
Martial combatants (barbarians, ToB classes, etc) can regain a power by spending a certain number of days resting, recuperating, and enjoying the finer things in life. This can have a significant GP cost.
BoEF better have rules for that. XD

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-29, 01:53 AM
BoEF better have rules for that. XD

Ok, I'm going to have to confess that it creeps me out when I see someone with a lich/skeleton avatar referring to BoEF. And yes, I know about the section in BoEF with the undead though I really wish I didn't. Squick alert! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Squick)

jcsw
2008-09-29, 03:32 AM

Rest:
Every night, you get back your con bonus in HP plus 1/10th (rounded down) your max HP. This amount increases by 1 HP, cumulatively, for every day past the first you rest.

Recovery:
In order for Priests to recover spells, they have to succeed at a significant quest that advances their dieties will.

In order for ToB/Barbarians to recover per-day powers, they have to have a significant victory against a sufficiently challenging opponent.

In order for Arcane Casters to recover per-day powers (such as spells), they need to find a source of 'unbound' arcane energy of sufficient strength, and drain it. (Some magical monsters contain such a source, and some locations contain such a source). Such sources can dissipate at any time, and are rarely if ever portable.

Priests can regain a level X spell by spending X days praying, sacrificing, and doing deeds their deity would want to reward. This can have a significant GP cost.

Arcane casters can regain a level X spell by spending X days reading, researching, and doing magical experiments. This can have a significant GP cost.

In addition, characters who succeed at a significant task can have their HP increased to half of their max, as their morale is boosted by their successes.

---

This gives control of the regaining of powers to the DM. It can be paced in such a way that you get (gasp) 4 encounters before you get to recover your powers. :-)

Sounds interesting. But wouldn't that require you (as a DM) to place one of each of those things at least once every four encounters? Or perhaps slightly increase the number of lower level spells they get...

What about bards? They have to sufficiently wow someone with their display of music?

Muspelheim
2008-09-29, 04:05 AM
The problem is that there is a huge discrepancy between what the typical party is able to do with all their resources available, and what they are able to do when depleted.

If you enjoy throwing hard encounters at them, it would be natural that they become somewhat paranoid and don't want to continue until they are at full power again. That's perfectly reasonable - after all, in-game, it's the characters' lives we are talking about. So if there isn't any kind of pressure on them to press forward, well, then it would be somewhat dumb for them to do just that.

I have found that if I want to play the attrition game there need to be an in-game reason for that, be it time pressure, enemies hunting the PCs, a large-scale battle or something similar. In other words, there need to be some kind of consequence if the PCs decide to 'bow out early'. Sometimes they do that, sometimes they don't, depending on under how much pressure they perceive themselves to be in, and how important the in-game issues are to them. Of course, I don't really do dungeoncrawls all that much (and when I do, they are usually quite short), so that might reflect my take on this.

I've also houseruled healing between combat, because to me, there's no real reason to use that as a drain on ressources. So, unless two encounters are in immediate succession, they can pretty much just go back to full health, using a houserule that helps them to that, and wands of vigur/CLW.

lord_khaine
2008-09-29, 04:20 AM

Rest:

Recovery:

---

i must say this mostly sounds like a way to get stoned to death with your players dice collection

Talic
2008-09-29, 04:52 AM
Especially since wizards must plumb the deepest depths of magical studies to recover spells...

Clerics must attain a pureness and oneness with their deity based on great personal sacrifice...

Martial adepts, who hone their bodies to fighting form... Have to get a masseuse, a beer, and a day in the sun?