PDA

View Full Version : Doppleganger feats [4E, PEACH]

Mando Knight
2008-09-28, 06:02 PM
I was thinking of statting out a Doppleganger, but its lack of racial feats limits its power somewhat... these mostly focus on enhancing their shapeshifting powers. I'm not sure which tier these should be in, though Paragon seems likely.

Doppelganger Mimicry
Prerequisite: Doppleganger, Change Shape racial power
Benefit: When you shift into the form of another playable race, you may use its racial encounter power. You may only use one racial encounter power per encounter, even if you shift into a different race.

Doppleganger Cloth Shifting
Prerequisite: Doppleganger, Change Shape racial power
Benefit: When you use your Change Shape power, you may change any and all clothing or armor you are currently wearing so that they fit your new form. You may also choose to change the appearance of your clothing or armor, though you must know what you want it to look like.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 06:12 PM
Any chance you could think up some real PC stats for em'?

Most of the MM races haven't had fully developed stats for use as PCs (Drow and Warforged for example)

Mando Knight
2008-09-28, 08:05 PM
Most of the MM races haven't had fully developed stats for use as PCs (Drow and Warforged for example)

Wait... those are two races with full write-ups... Warforged in Dragon magazine and Drow in the FR PG.

What do you mean by real PC stats, exactly?

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-28, 08:11 PM
Drow and Warforged are MM races the fleshed out in the FRPG and Dragon Magazine. With this came a more complete set of abilities, and some modifications.

Warforged got some extra bonuses, and Drow got Trance and Fey Origin, They aren't huge things, but they balance out the races. Races with just a power and a random feature aren't as interesting, or as powerful, as the PHB races, or the Genasi, Warforged or Drow.

So by full PC stats, I mean not just +1 Will and Change Shape, but some other stuff for them to start with (since what they have is very underpowered compared to other races)

Mando Knight
2008-09-29, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure how broken this would be... but how about in addition to the current bonuses, Dopplegangers get the following:

Racial Imitation: Dopplegangers count as any other race when qualifying for feats. If a racial power or feature that a Doppleganger lacks is a prerequisite for the feat, then the Doppleganger does not qualify for the feat.

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-29, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure how broken this would be... but how about in addition to the current bonuses, Dopplegangers get the following:

Racial Imitation: Dopplegangers count as any other race when qualifying for feats. If a racial power or feature that a Doppleganger lacks is a prerequisite for the feat, then the Doppleganger does not qualify for the feat.

I think that's a bit overpowered, but how about this?

Racial Imitation:
Choose a Medium Human PC race when you create your character. You gain an additional +4 bonus to bluff checks while masquerading as this race, and you qualify for feats that have this race as a prerequisite, as long as you meet any other prerequisites.

OneFamiliarFace
2009-01-07, 12:56 AM
@OP: I like the idea of the Doppleganger Mimicry feat you have there. It seems quite a bit overpowered to me though. Even if the Doppleganger's is currently underpowered in most combats, it is still amazing outside of them. But that is a feat that gives someone an extra encounter power, which, I think, is too good.

The Doppleganger Mimicry feat should itself be a daily power, and even then, it should still be limited to paragon tier. Maybe an epic tier feat could use this first feat as a prerequisite and do what you currently have it as.

@Shadow_Elf: For an extra ability, I would recommend something like the shapeshifter feint ability that the monsters all have. That ability itself is too good, so maybe something like +1 to hit enemies against which the doppleganger has combat advantage (which might be slightly broken with some rogue and/or wintertouched combos), or +2 to bluff when feinting or something like that.