PDA

View Full Version : Good forgotten realms books?

Jayngfet
2008-09-28, 06:39 PM
I've been meaning to pick up some FR books, I bought a couple of drizzt books and thought they were okay, there are some others in the library so I might get those.

I was wondering what FR books were good, by which I mean.

No mary sues.

Things happen in a way that seems natural, as opposed to the plot needs it.

Similar to the above, characters aren't so stupid they take chapters to solve what should take five minutes.

That means no Elminster, Drizzt, Austrael, seven sisters, and war of the spider queen(or whatever series are based on it).

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-28, 07:09 PM
Huh...it just occurred to me that the only non-Salvatore FR books I've read has been the Moonshaes trilogy.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-09-29, 06:31 AM
Well, I rather enjoyed Azure Bonds and its immediate sequel The Wyvern's Spur. Elminster does appear briefly in the first of the two, but he is not a major character.

However, I cannot but feel that you are trying to set the bar a little high. I wouldn't pick up a FR book expecting great literature. However, they - at least, the ones I have read - are entertaining and occasionally amusing reads.

serok42
2008-09-29, 06:40 AM
I really liked the series about Liriel Banre by Elaine Cunningham

Daughter of the Drow
Tangled Webs
and Wind Walker

The books about Cadderly Bonaduce are pretty good as well (but since you don't seem to like Drizzt you may not like him either)
I can't remember the names of the books but they are published together in "The Cleric Quintet" and are written by RA Salvatore.

tetsubo
2008-09-29, 06:54 AM
I liked the Avatar trilogy and its subsequent books by various authors. Although I do not belive they lable it as a trilogy anymore.

Shadowdale
Tantras
Waterdeep

Are the orginal Trilogy and the subsquent books are

Prince of Lies
Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad

Gavin Sage
2008-09-29, 07:38 AM
Elfshadow and Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham are good FR books. The third in that series Silver Shadows is also pretty good, but took me a while to find. (There's two more in the series which are nigh impossible to find and not as good imo)

Still though if I may, I've yet to read an FR book I think I'd consider tremedously good literature. They can be fun and entertaining certainly, but aren't seriously good literature.

Pronounceable
2008-09-29, 09:06 AM
I was wondering what FR books were good

None.

AFAIK closest is a series named Magehound (or something like that, it's been a long time don't remember exact name) by Cunningham.

Starlight and Shadows (or something like that) series by Cunningham is also not bad. It's the one with the assasin elf girl and Blackstaff's bard nephew.

Daughter of the Drow is tolerable, as is its sequel. Last one is bad however.

War of the Spiderqueen I liked, though the latter books leave much to be desired. Still, has a good ending.

Avoid Avatar series. It's among the awfulest ones, even worse than Elmo books (which should've been burnt).

Saph
2008-09-29, 03:57 PM
Azure Bonds is actually pretty good. I'd recommend it, along with other stuff by the same author.

- Saph

Jayngfet
2008-09-30, 01:39 PM
However, I cannot but feel that you are trying to set the bar a little high. I wouldn't pick up a FR book expecting great literature. However, they - at least, the ones I have read - are entertaining and occasionally amusing reads.

How is wanting no mary sues and logic that isn't plot based asking too much?

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-30, 01:43 PM
Personally, I like The City of Ravens. Cormyr: A Novel is pretty good as well. Note that neither involves any of the major iconic Realms NPCs. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2008-09-30, 02:18 PM
Azoun and Vangerdahast are NPCs of some note in last edition, but not ones with massive serieses, the way The Chosen of Mystra, and Drizzt, are.

EvilElitest
2008-09-30, 02:25 PM
ironically enough, Salvatore writes the best FR books out so far sadly. Don't read of Ed greenwoods books through
from
EE

Pronounceable
2008-09-30, 02:29 PM
ironically enough, Salvatore writes the best FR books out so far sadly. Don't read of Ed greenwoods books through
from
EE

He happens to be the worst offender as far as I'm aware.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-09-30, 02:32 PM
I disagree that Salvatore is writing the best FR books so far. Try the Ring of Winter for one. Theres another about Thay that's pretty good, I think it's called 'Red Magic'.

Hrm...there was one last one that really felt like an actual D&D adventure in almost every way, but I don't remember the name of it. In any case the Horselords trilogy wasn't bad either. Especially the middle one. Dragonwall I think.

EvilElitest
2008-09-30, 02:36 PM
He happens to be the worst offender as far as I'm aware.

not really, his books aren't really that bad. The books taht copy him, certainly. Most FR books are trash, so that makes him one of the best. There might be a few that i'm unaware, but its like finding a good FR fanfiction. There are good ones, and plenty of bad ones
from
EE

hamishspence
2008-09-30, 02:38 PM
Given Ed's first book was also My first (Spellfire), I can tolerate his writing flaws a bit better. I though Tempation of Elminster was pretty bad though.

But then, my taste may not be the same as others. The Nobles book: War in Tethyr, by Victor Milan, I thought entertaining enough (orc paladin) but other people said it was awful.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-09-30, 03:07 PM
I liked both Prince of Lies and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad. Mostly they're about the politics and power struggles of the gods of the FR setting and the mortals who happen to get caught up in their machinations.

However, I couldn't much stomach the Avatar trilogy.

pendell
2008-09-30, 03:46 PM
I've been meaning to pick up some FR books, I bought a couple of drizzt books and thought they were okay, there are some others in the library so I might get those.

I was wondering what FR books were good, by which I mean.

No mary sues.

Things happen in a way that seems natural, as opposed to the plot needs it.

Similar to the above, characters aren't so stupid they take chapters to solve what should take five minutes.

That means no Elminster, Drizzt, Austrael, seven sisters, and war of the spider queen(or whatever series are based on it).

I would strongly recommend 'Horselords' by ... Cook, was it? Most of the story takes place in a magic-dead region, and I think the story benefits greatly from that. It's a fish-out-of-water story, showing a Khazari envoy to the Tuigan horde, as he tries to persuade them from their path of conquest.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Pronounceable
2008-09-30, 10:51 PM
^^I meant Greenwood, not Salvatore.