PDA

View Full Version : The Search for the Quasi-Naruto Ninja PrC

KingGolem
2008-09-28, 08:35 PM
Hey everybody, I'm getting a group together, and due to the poor attendance I've had the opportunity to speak to several of the players beforehand about what kind of characters they would like to play. I was talking to one of my friends, and he said he would like to be a ninja. Since he's into anime, I asked if he wanted to be a moderately historically accurate ninja (rogue, I don't have Complete Adventurer) or a flying, firebreathing Naruto ninja (swordsage :smallamused:). He asked if he could possible do both, so I thought I could try a multiclass rogue/swordsage build (starting at level four, by the way). However, I was wandering if anybody had heard of a prestige class that could combine the skill-monkeying rogue with the flying, firebreathing, quasi-Naruto swordsage, which would be a more elegant solution once he starts leveling past level four. Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate it if anybody could help.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-28, 08:54 PM
I hate to admit it, but this PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90835) has a bit of Naruto style to it.

JeminiZero
2008-09-28, 09:01 PM
Go human, assign Int a decent score (something like 14+ should do), at 1st level, grab a trapfinding skill monkey class and Able Learner (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Able_Learner,all).

After that, just take Swordsage. Swordsage comes with 6 skill points per level, add on human bonus and decent int, and he should be able to keep a good number of skills maxed out.

KingGolem
2008-09-28, 09:12 PM
I hate to admit it, but this PrC has a bit of Naruto style to it.

Well, that's a nice PrC, but I'm afraid that because it's aimed at swordsage-beguilers it doesn't really fit my purposes.

Go human, assign Int a decent score (something like 14+ should do), at 1st level, grab a trapfinding skill monkey class and Able Learner.

After that, just take Swordsage. Swordsage comes with 6 skill points per level, add on human bonus and decent int, and he should be able to keep a good number of skills maxed out.

Ooh, that should work beautifully, unless he picks some other race. Due to the nature of Japan-analog land in my campaign setting, it's possible he could be tiefling or a human, but not much else is really feasible (or his style, rather). So thanks for this solution, it should definitely work if he picks human, but just in case he doesn't the search is still on.

Fax Celestis
2008-09-28, 09:37 PM
If you'll forgive my further self-pimping, replacing "powers" with "jutsu" for this class would probably work well. Physical powers become taijutsu, mental powers to ninjutsu, social powers to genjutsu...

SurlySeraph
2008-09-28, 09:41 PM
There's this homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55645&highlight=chakra+ninja).

JeminiZero
2008-09-28, 10:00 PM
Ooh, that should work beautifully, unless he picks some other race. Due to the nature of Japan-analog land in my campaign setting, it's possible he could be tiefling or a human, but not much else is really feasible (or his style, rather). So thanks for this solution, it should definitely work if he picks human, but just in case he doesn't the search is still on.

It might work for other races provided the DM is willing to waive the human requirement for Able Learner, and Int is high enough to compensate for loss of human bonus skill points.

BobVosh
2008-09-29, 01:05 AM
Swordsage+Beguiler sounds like naruto incarnate...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-29, 01:28 AM
Hey everybody, I'm getting a group together, and due to the poor attendance I've had the opportunity to speak to several of the players beforehand about what kind of characters they would like to play. I was talking to one of my friends, and he said he would like to be a ninja. Since he's into anime, I asked if he wanted to be a moderately historically accurate ninja (rogue, I don't have Complete Adventurer) or a flying, firebreathing Naruto ninja (swordsage :smallamused:). He asked if he could possible do both, so I thought I could try a multiclass rogue/swordsage build (starting at level four, by the way). However, I was wandering if anybody had heard of a prestige class that could combine the skill-monkeying rogue with the flying, firebreathing, quasi-Naruto swordsage, which would be a more elegant solution once he starts leveling past level four. Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate it if anybody could help.Straight Swordsage does that just fine.

monty
2008-09-29, 01:29 AM
How about Factotum 1 / Swordsage 19 with Able Learner? Completely customizable skills, with most of the Swordsage fiery goodness.

KingGolem
2008-09-29, 06:20 PM
If you'll forgive my further self-pimping, replacing "powers" with "jutsu" for this class would probably work well. Physical powers become taijutsu, mental powers to ninjutsu, social powers to genjutsu...
A rogue...with powers? :smallconfused: That's an odd interpretation, and although it just might work I don't think I'll use that, since it clashes with my current choice of rogue (the PHB one). Nice class though.

There's this homebrew.
That class seems a bit incomplete, like he never got around to finishing the jutsus. And I was hoping to use the Tome of Battle, since I already told him about that.

It might work for other races provided the DM is willing to waive the human requirement for Able Learner, and Int is high enough to compensate for loss of human bonus skill points.
Well I thought that the Able Learner feat itself seemed like...a really good feat, thinly justified by the 1st level and race requirements. I might have to think of something else to balance it.

Straight Swordsage does that just fine.
The swordsage does not seem to have open lock on its class skill list, which is why I was looking for a good PrC in the first place. Although that might be fine if coupled with Able Learner.

How about Factotum 1 / Swordsage 19 with Able Learner? Completely customizable skills, with most of the Swordsage fiery goodness.
I don't use the factotum class, and I also said that it was starting at 4th level. Besides, I don't think the factotum fits in, since I generally consider ninjas and rogues to be expertly trained in their unique field of skills, and they don't put stock into heavy arms and armor or traditional spellcasting.