PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e PrCs] Magesworn Military

Fax Celestis
2008-09-28, 09:32 PM
Magesworn Military classes are prestige classes designed to be entered at a low level and utilized towards an army comprised of fighter-mages. Each is four levels long and has a particular focus in combat.

Abjurant Warrior
Prerequisites: Spell Focus (Abjuration) feat, Somatic Weaponry feat, ability to cast mage armor, ability to cast shield, ability to cast second level arcane spells.

HD: d8

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spellcasting
1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Enhanced Shield | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Enhanced Mage Armor | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Reflexive Spell | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Deflecting Shield | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (2+Int): Concentration, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Ride, Spellcraft

Enhanced Shield: An abjurant warrior adds his Charisma modifier to the AC provided by any shield spell he casts.

Enhanced Mage Armor: An abjurant warrior of at least second level may cast mage armor as a swift action as long as he does not apply any metamagic feats to the spell.

Reflexive Spell (Ex): An abjurant warrior who spontaneously casts spells may cast a touch-range spell with a casting time of 1 standard action or less as an immediate action when struck in melee. This requires the abjurant warrior to utilize a spell slot three levels above the spell's typical level.

An abjurant warrior who prepares spells may cast a touch-range spell with a casting time of one standard action or less as an immediate action when struck in melee by sacrificing an additional spell prepared in a third-level or higher slot.

Deflecting Shield (Su): An abjurant warrior of at least fourth level who has an active shield spell avoids a ranged touch spell by a margin equa lto or less than the shield 's AC bonus, he may deflect the spell to a new target. This deflection slightly weakens the spell: its effects are resolved as if they were cast by the original caster, but with a -2 penalty on the new attack roll, a -2 penalty to the spell's effective caster level, and to a maximum of half range. The spell's caster does not change: only the source and the target change.

Mageblade Skirmisher
Prerequisites: Dodge feat, Mobility feat, Tumble 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, ability to cast shield, ability to cast at least two ray spells, ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells

1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Spell Skirmish (1d6/+1), flame blade | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Fast Movement, Spring Attack | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Spell Skirmish (+2d6/+2+) | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Double Blade, Flame Shield | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (4+Int): Blaance, Climb, Concentration, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Religion), Spellcraft, Tumble

Spell Skirmish (Ex): Whenever a mageblade skirmisher moves at least 10 feet prior to casting a ray spell that deals damage, he adds an additonal 1d6 damage of the appropriate type and receives a +1 bonus on the attack roll. This ability increases to +2d6 damage and +2 on the attack roll at third level.

Flame Blade: A mageblade skirmisher utilizes a blade of flame for nearly any combat. He adds the flame blade spell to the spell list of the spellcasting class used to qualify for this class.

Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at second level, a mageblade skirmisher's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the mageblade skirmisher's speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Spring Attack: A mageblade skirmisher gains the Spring Attack feat as a bonus feat at second level.

Double Blade (Su): At fourth level, a mageblade skirmisher may create one blade per hand when casting flame blade. Other than creating two blades instead of one, the original spell remains unchanged.

Flame Shield (Su): A mageblade skirmisher usesu fire in offense, but at fourth level they also learn to use it defensively. When a mageblade skirmisher casts shield, it has its normal effects but also deals 1d6 fire damage (+1 per three caster levels) to anyone who attacks the mageblade skirmisher in melee.

Arcane Archer
Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot feat, Far Shot feat, proficiency with bows, ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells

HD: d6

1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Arcane Channeling, Magic Arrows | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Arcane Imbuement | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Bonus Archery Feat | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Tracking Shot | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (4+Int): Climb, Concentration, Hide, Knowledge (arcana), Listen, Move SIlently, Spellcraft, Spot

Arcane Channeling (Su): At first level an arcane archer gains the ability to cast any touch spell she knows through an attack with a bow as a standard action. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of one standard action or less. If the attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally, then the effect of the spell is resolved.

Magic Arrows (Su): An arcane archers arrows are magicallly imbued and overcome Damage Resistance as if they were magical even if they are not otherwise enhanced.

Arcane Imbuement (Su): At second level an arcane archer gains the ability to transform spells into elemental power and attack with it through a bow. As part of this ability, the arcane archer makes a single attack with a bow and sacrifices a spell as a standard action. Sacrificing a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The sacrificed spell increases the damage of the arcane archer's attack by 1d6 points of elemental damage (player's choice) per level of the sacrificed spell, and also adds a bonus to the attack roll equal to the level of the sacrificed spell.

Bonus Archery Feat: At third level, an arcane archer may obtain one feat that has Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite that she qualifies for.

Tracking Shot (Su): At fourth level, an arcane archer's arrows begin taking part of the archer's personality themselves. The arcane archer adds their Charisma modifier to attack rolls made with bows.

Mageblade Cavalier
Prerequisites: Mounted Combat feat, Mounted Spellcasting feat, Ride 6 ranks, abilty to cast 2nd level spells

HD: d8

1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Imbued Charge | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | SHare Spells | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Bonus Mounted Combat Feat | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Arcane Channeling | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (4+Int): Concentration, Handle Animal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Ride, Spellcraft

Imbued Charge (Su): A mageblade cavalier may expend a prepared spell or a spell slot to add 1d6 damage per spell level to her damage when charging.

Share Spells (Ex): At second level, at the mageblade cavalier's option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her mount. The mount must be within 5 feet of her at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the mount if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the animal again, even if it returns to the mageblade cavalier before the duration expires.

Additionally, the mageblade cavalier may cast a spell with a target of "You" on her mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. A mageblade cavalier and her mount can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the mount's type.

Bonus Mounted Combat Feat: At third level, a mageblade cavalier may obtain one feat that has Mounted Combat as a prerequisite that she qualifies for.

Arcane Channeling (Su): At fourth level a mageblade cavalier gains the ability to cast any touch spell she knows through a melee attack as a standard action. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of one standard action or less. If the attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally, then the effect of the spell is resolved.

Magesworn Scout
Prerequisites: Track feat, Spot 6 ranks, Listen 6 ransk, Ability to cast expeditious retreat, Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells

1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Burstcasting +5', Scout Familiar | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Fast Movement, Eagle's Eyes | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Burstcasting +10', Detect Magic | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Enhanced Spells | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (4+Int): Balance, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography), Listen, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim

Burstcasting (Su): A magesworn scout has learned to funnel the excess energies created by their magics: whenever a magesworn scout casts an arcane spell with personal range, he gains a 5' insight bonus to all modes of movement for one round. This ability increases to 10' at third level.

Scout Familiar: Levels in magesworn scout stack with any class that provides a familiar when determining the power of your familiar. A magesworn scout's familiar also gains an insight bonus on Listen and Spot checks equal to the magesworn scout's class level.

Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at second level, a magesworn scout's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing lgiht or no armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the magesworn scout's speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Eagle's Eyes (Ex): A magesworn scout of second level or higher gains an insight bonus on Spot checks equal to his class level and also gains low-light vision.

Detect Magic (Sp): A magesworn scout of third level can cast detect magic as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier. This effect has a caster level equal to his character level.

Enhanced Spells: A magesworn scout of fourth level learns how to cast certain spells more quickly: he may cast invisibility, expeditious retreat, and fly as swift actions as long as he does not apply any metamagic feats to them.

Arcane Subverter
Prerequisites: Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfidning, Hide 6 ranks, Move Silenty 6 ranks, ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells

1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Poison Use, Apprentice Assassin | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Sneak Attack +1d6 | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Stealthy | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Sneak Attack +2d6, Enhanced Spells | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (4+Int): Craft, Disable Device, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (Local), Move Silently, Open Lock, Search

Poison Use: An arcane subverter never risks poisoning himself when using poisons.

Sneak Attack: An arcane subverter obtains +1d6 sneak attack at second level and improves this ti +2d6 at 4th level. See the rogue ability of the same name.

Stealthy: An arcane subverter obtains the Stealthy feat as a bonus feat at third level.

Enhanced Spells (Su): An arcane subverter who casts invisibility or mage armor treats those spells as if they were cast using the Extend Spell metamagic feat, except he does not adjust their spell level.

Arcane Sniper
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (Ray) feat, Ability to cast magic missile, ability to cast at least one ray spell, Hide 6 ranks, Spot 6 ranks

HD: d4

1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Magic Missileer | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +0 | +0 | +0 | +3 | Missile Elementalism | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Ray Refraction | +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +1 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Ray Mastery, Missile Mastery|| +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (2+Int): Concentration, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Spot

Magic Missileer (Ex): An arcane sniper adds her arcane sniper class level to her caster level when determining the effects of magic missile.

Missile Elementalism (Ex): An arcane sniper of at least second level can alter her missiles on the fly to deal cold, fire, or electrical damage as she deems fit.

Ray Refraction (Su): An arcane sniper of at least third level can refract her rays as she casts them, allowing her to refract her ray to a second target after the first. This attack must make a second attck roll, but it is at -5. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.

Ray Mastery (Su): An arcane sniper of at least fourth level can widen her rays into cones. When casting a spell, she can alter the shape from "ray" to "30' cone". If she does so, it does not require a touch attack; instead, a Reflex save will negate the spell's effects.

Missile Mastery (Su): An arcane sniper of fourth level always treats her magic missiles as if they are under the effects of the Enlarge Spell metamagic feat without any level adjustment. Further, the shield spell and similar effects are no longer perfect defenses against her missiles: instead, her missiles are only reduced to 50% effectiveness.

ocato
2008-09-28, 09:41 PM
Good stuff, as always. I might consider changing Arcane Archer's name to something less likely to cause minor confusion (who uses that thing anyway?) and maybe give the Mageblade Cavalier some token bonus to checks to cast spells while mounted (maybe add their INT or CHA to it?) but that's just me. Quality work as always-- good to see you're back at the grindstone.

Lorien077
2008-09-28, 10:03 PM
I like them, like them a lot.
My only question is about the arcane sniper. Would the character add their arcane sniper levels to their caster level for magic missile anyway (except the fourth obviously) Or am I missing something here?

Fax Celestis
2008-09-28, 10:05 PM
I like them, like them a lot.
My only question is about the arcane sniper. Would the character add their arcane sniper levels to their caster level for magic missile anyway (except the fourth obviously) Or am I missing something here?

It doubles up.

dyslexicfaser
2008-09-29, 02:04 AM
Nice variety you got here, Fax.

Am I right in assuming that these PrCs are more for NPCs or cohorts or the like than PCs?

Adumbration
2008-09-29, 06:26 AM
Missile Mastery (Su): An arcane sniper of fourth level always treats her magic missiles as if they are under the effects of the Widen Spell metamagic feat without any level adjustment.
I don't think you can apply Widen to magic missile. And I can't see any use, even if you could.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-09-29, 06:37 AM
I don't think you can apply Widen to magic missile. And I can't see any use, even if you could.

Maybe Empower? That would be useful.

lord of kobolds
2008-09-29, 11:18 AM
How would imbued charge work with cantrips?

Magnor Criol
2008-09-29, 11:23 AM

I'm thinking ten-foot-wide missiles here. It brings me warm fuzzy feelings.
(Though in seriousness I agree, I don't know what Widen would do for Magic Missile.)

I really like these little classes, Fax. They've all got a great feel to them and add some great flavor without bumping up the power curve.

Also, good to see you back.

Fax Celestis
2008-09-29, 11:25 AM

I alwas confuse Widen and Enlarge. Fixing.

Fax Celestis
2008-09-29, 11:28 AM
How would imbued charge work with cantrips?

You'd burn a spell and get +0d6 damage.

Stycotl
2008-09-29, 12:56 PM
still reading, but...

second the idea of changing the name of arcane archer.

skirmisher doesn't have it dice listed as far as i can see.

more coming after class...

Human Paragon 3
2008-09-29, 01:30 PM
Maybe the sniper should get a 6th missile at level 4 as well. I say this because the sniper's missileer ability ceases to matter for #of missiles after level 3.

insecure
2008-09-29, 01:50 PM
I alwas confuse Widen and Enlarge. Fixing.

I suppose you meant Empower there.

Otherwise, it looks good.:smallsmile:

Human Paragon 3
2008-09-29, 01:59 PM
I suppose you meant Empower there.

Otherwise, it looks good.:smallsmile:

No, he meant enlarge. This increases the range of your missiles.

insecure
2008-09-29, 02:00 PM
No, he meant enlarge. This increases the range of your missiles.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.:smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2008-09-29, 04:50 PM
"Listen 6 ransk" should be "Listen 6 ranks"

Also I note that each of these classes is full caster progression except Arcane Sniper. Is that deliberate?

wadledo
2008-09-29, 05:02 PM
Apprentice Assassin where?:smallconfused:
Other than that, brilliant.
They fit the "needs to fill dead levels in base spellcaster classes" and "squieeeee! Gish!":smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2008-09-29, 05:14 PM
I don't know if it's intentional, but the Reflexive Spell ability of the Abjurant Warrior is extremely more beneficial to preparing casters than spontaneous ones. For a simple example, Wizard Alex gets it at Level 6, where Sorcerer Bob gets it at Level 7. Alex can, if he so chooses, use his shiny new class feature to cast Vampiric Touch on some poor mook who stabs him, though it takes both of his default 3rd level spell slots to do it. Poor Bob, on the other hand, can't even do that until he reaches Level 12 and has a 6th level slot to burn on Vampiric Touching that same mook. If this isn't intentionally biased against spontaneous casters, it'd make more sense to have the spontaneous caster burn an additional slot of 3rd level or higher.

It's also a bit odd that the Abjurant Warrior only adds its Charisma mod to AC for Shields instead of its primary casting modifier, since this make the class much better for spontaneous casters than prepared ones, but the Reflexive Spell makes it much better for prepared casters than spontaneous ones.
------------------------------------------------------------

Does Arcane Imbuement stack with the Arcane Strike feat?

Same basic note on Tracking Shot as Imbued Shields - it'd be more Wizard/Duskblade friendly if it added your primary ability modifier, and a Duskblade/Arcane Archer would actually make a very cool archer-type character.

Prometheus
2008-09-29, 10:29 PM
I really like this collection, they make for very nice interesting military mages (just like the title says). Really brings the tactics of war to something more interesting. I could imagine the a great use for almost all of these. Couple comments:
-Mageblade Skirmisher is missing it's HD
-Magesworn Scout has a nice capstone ability, but in the meantime it doesn't seem very interesting or valuable, at least, compared to the others.
-Arcane Subverter is missing the description for Apprentice Assassin. In addition, perhaps something that would allow it to conceal the fact that it is a magical person would be helpful to it, such as suppressing the aural of it's magic items or the auras of its spells.
-Arcane Sniper has to be my favorite. It'd been thinking that an Enlarge Magic Missile would make an interesting battlefield tactic for a while now, and I'm glad to see something further it. I think it is amusing to imagine an optical lens on the end of a staff through which rays are cast through.

Fizban
2008-09-30, 04:05 AM
The Abjurant Warrior gets to cast Mage Armor as a swift action, but Mage Armor should already be up due to it's long casting time. Shield, with it's short duration, still takes the normal standard action. Is this intentional to balance out the increased shield bonus?

While I can see increasing the Magic Missile range on the Arcane Sniper for sniping, it's a bit of a let down that they don't actually get any more missiles. I'd also change the energy substitution ability to Energy Missile, though I think it's taken by a power. I like the ray abilities, though they actually make the class less snipey by hitting multiple targets.

I'll ask about their use by PC's as well. Though you gave almost all them full casting, each seems to have at least one semi/useless feat prerequisite, two if it's got a larger hit die, and the sniper currently loses a spellcasting level. Is that enough to make up for the abilities granted, or did you figure they're already full casting so it doesn't much matter since it's only 4 levels. The special abilities I'd say are at least as good as two feats when you're done.

Magnor Criol
2008-09-30, 11:15 AM
While I can see increasing the Magic Missile range on the Arcane Sniper for sniping, it's a bit of a let down that they don't actually get any more missiles.

They do get to add their Arcane Sniper levels to CL. Higher CL = more missiles. Unless you meant they should be able to get more missiles than the spell normally allows, like removing the 5 missile cap.

Question: Do the benefits apply to magic missile-based spells, i.e. the Issac's Lesser and Greater Missile Storm spells (those appeared in later splatbooks, right?)?

Telonius
2008-09-30, 02:11 PM
A very minor tweak, but I'd allow the Missile Elementalist to use Acid as well, to give him all four of the classical elements.

Prometheus
2008-09-30, 02:27 PM
They do get to add their Arcane Sniper levels to CL. Higher CL = more missiles. Unless you meant they should be able to get more missiles than the spell normally allows, like removing the 5 missile cap.

Question: Do the benefits apply to magic missile-based spells, i.e. the Issac's Lesser and Greater Missile Storm spells (those appeared in later splatbooks, right?)?
Magic Missile maxes out at the equivalent level of 9. If a caster takes Arcane Sniper as soon as he is able, than he will receive the maximum number of missiles at the third level of this class, his 6th character level. However, to account for the fact that the last Arcane Sniper level does not grant an additional missile, the range is now doubled for free. I don't see a problem with it.