PDA

View Full Version : Heroes of Time / The Wizard on the Mountain [3.5 Campaign Diary]

drengnikrafe
2008-09-28, 09:36 PM
This is the results of my latest escapade: an 18th level, 1 shot campaign.
Please note, it contains a lot of houserules, so don't be alarmed to see very weird stuff.

Characters:

Rimoge
Half-Ogre Barbarian 15 / Frenzied Berserker 1
Size: Gargantuan
Str 34, Dex 20, Con 24, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8.
HP: 222 (286 while raging).
Init: +3
DR: 16
Speed: 45 ft.
Attack: 5d6 + 29 (+45 to attack rolls)
BAB 16/11/6/1
AC 30, Fort 18, Ref 10, Will 4

Skills:
Athletics: 10
-Climb 8, Jump 8, Swim 8
Detect: 10
-Spot 8, Listen 8
Self-Sufficient: 10
-Heal 0, Survival 7
Interation: 10
-Diplomacy 0, Gather Information 0, Intimidate 8, Sense Motive 0, Perform 0

Equipment:
ShimmerSpike, Belt of Giant Strength (+4), Bracers of Health (+4), Gloves of Dexterity (+4), +4 Flash Steel Chain Shirt, Headband of Slippery Mind, Ring of Sustenance
(ShimmerSpike: This Large +5 Ranseur deals a base damage of 4d6. Additionally, every time it strikes an opponent, the target takes an additoiinal 1d6 damage. All damage delt by ShimmerSpike is Sonic Damage. This Weapon multiplies the height of 4.)

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Sweeping Assult, Thicket of Blades, Devastating Assult, Deft Strike, Deft Assult, Toughness, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Natural Armor, Diehard.

Langages: Common and Giant.

Purpose in short: Stop 6 things from getting within 30 feet, and deal fair melee damage.

Savriel

Elven Bard 18
Size: Normal
Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 26.
HP: 102
Init: +4
Miss Chance: 50%
Speed: 30 ft
Attack: 1d4 + 8 and Trip (+24 to attack rolls. Touch AC)
BAB 16/11/6/1
AC 14, Fort 8, Ref 15, Will 12

Skills:
Athletics: 11
-Climb 8, Jump 8, Swim 8
Acrobatics: 11
-Tumble 5, Escape Artist 5, Balance 5
Stealth: 11
-Hide 10, Move Silently 10
Magic: 11
-Knowledge Arcana 4, Spellcraft 10, Scry 0, Concentration 10
Interation: 10
-Diplomacy 0, Gather Information 0, Intimidate 0, Sense Motive 0, Perform 10

Equipment:
Continuum Dust (10 doses), Cloak of Charisma (+4), Bracers of Health (+4), Gloves of Dexterity (+4), Cloak of Displacement (Major), +3 Sweeping, Disarming Whip.
(Continuum Dust: The Origin of this powder is a guarded secret that only Savriel knew during his mortal life. As a free action that does not draw an attack of opportunity, Savriel can create one round of time. Who is able to function in this alternate reality is entirely up to Savriel, and all aspects of reality can be manipulated while in this state, as long as Savriel allows. This effectively grants all allies 1 round of free action.)

Bardic Music: 10 uses per day, along with 1 per encounter.

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Sudden Shot, Ranged Flank.
Bardic Feats: Tempo, Andante, Allegro, Allegrissimo, Ritardando, Harmony, Chord, Dischord, Orchestrate, Jarring Note.

Languages: Common, Giant.

Spell Points: 343/day. 14/encounter.
Seeds: Transport 3.3, Afflict 3.3, Fortify 3.3, Destroy 3.1, Reveal 2.2, Heal 3.1.

Spells Known:
Accelerated Healing
Life Drain
Strength Leech
Clarity of Vision
Nerve Skitter
Aura of Timeleech
Timeleech
GO!
STOP!

Purpose in short: buff/debuff and harm/heal.

Astril Shide

Halfling Wizard 8 / Metamage 5 / Spellwarp Sniper 5
Str 10, Dex 26, Con 14, Int 24, Wis 14, Cha 12
HP 83
Init: +7
Speed: 15 ft
BAB: 13/8/3
AC 40, Fort 14, Ref 20, Will 19

Skills:
Knowledge: 11
-Religion 10, Planes 10, Others 0
Magic: 11
-Spellcraft 10, Concentration 10, Knowledge Arcana 10
Precision: 11
-Search 10, Decipher Script 10

Equipment:
Eye of Unfettered Sight, Headband of Intelligence (+4), Gloves of Dex (+4), Braces of Constitution (+4), Brooch of Shielding (+5), Amulet of Natural Armor (+5), +5 Magic Vestiment, +5 Cloak of Resistance
(Eye of Unfettered Sight: Many years before his death, Astril Shide lost his left eye in a fight against a magnataur. He then searched and studied for a way to replace it, finally finding a craftsmen fit for creating an eye, which he could then imbune with magical powers. Now, the prosthesis of an eye enables Astril Shide to see everything, at all times. His vision penetrates darkness, it penetrates invisibility, and it penetrates illusion, and can even detect ethereal creatures at all times. Additionally, this ability grants him improved aim with his spells, doubling the range that they can be cast at, and increasing his spellsnipe ability by 3d6.)

Feats:
Empower Spell, Splity Ray, Energy Admixture, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Sudden Shot, Manyshot, Ranged Flank, Improved Precise Shot.

Spell Points: 549/day, 18/encounter.

Seeds: 4.3 Transform, 3.3 Conjure, 3.3 Conjure, 3.3 Transport, 2.3 Compel, 2.3 Banish, 2.3 Forsee.

Spells:
Inferno
Greatest Orb of Fire!
(Unfinished, but unrequired beyond this point).

Purpose in short: Deal very mass damage with little to no save opportunities.

Intro
The PCs appear in the a plaza. There are people surrounding them, and loud cheering. "Yay, the mighty hero!" "The hero that will save us all!" "Hooray our saviour!" Then, the cheering dies down, as the people realize that there's 3 people, and not one. There is a short while of silence, then one person shouts "hooray for the THREE heroes of legend!". The cheering begins again, and lasts for a few more minutes. The crowd slowly disappates, and a regal looking man approaches them. "We have collected the three items of legend to bring forth you heroes. You are the most powerful warriors of time. We have revived your once-peaceful spirits to save us from a great evil. Atop a great mountain sits an evil wizard, who is summoning a being of even greater evil. This being will surely destroy us all, unless you can stop him. Have you any questions?" Says the regal man (who was identified as the king). "Yes," says Savriel, "which way is the mountain?" "To the north," says the king, as he points to the north. They can see a great mountain in the distance. "Have you any other questions?" The PCs have no more questions. "Then be on your way," says the king, "and good luck."

The First Encounter
The PCs head north towards the mountains. A few hours of traveling later, they feel like the mountain has not gotten any closer (when does one every), but what they do notice is that there are 10 chimeras approaching them. (The exact combat is fuzzy to me, but I remember some stuff) of the 10 chimeras, 6 were stopped at 30 feet away by Rimoge (that was his main effect), and the other 4 got close enough to bite. The six that were stuck, however, did an acid cone, hitting the whole party... and the other chimeras. The up-close chimeras tried attacking, but did little damage, and the far-off ones ended up blasted by some Ultimate Orb of Fire Rays from the Astril. There was actually one that got up close that rolled a 1 on it's attack roll, so I rolled a luck check on a d100... and got a 1. It killed itself. In one shot. That was funny. The whole party was close to death, but in the end they all pulled through... barely. (Astril had 1 HP left, Rimoge was down to around the 30's, and Savriel was also really low). 20 Minutes and several fast-healing spells later (per encounter spell points regenerate every 5 minutes), the party is back at perfect health, and they press on.

The Second Encounter
It's late, the sun has set, and they're right about to set down for camp. I have them all make spot checks, but due to it being so late, Rimoge and Savriel take penalties (Astril has the eye). Astril rolls poorly, so he doesn't see it, and, due to the heavy penalties for it being a monster of pure dark in pure dark, neither does anyone else. Of course, the monster is none other then a Nightcrawler. It gets a surprise action, and attacks Savriel (in order to keep the party moving at good speed, Astril rides on Rimoge's shoulders. Savriel, who can flank with Rimoge, walks alongside). Two attack rolls higher then Savriel's AC later, I ask whether he wants Evens or Odds to miss. He selects evens. 2 Evens later, they roll for init. It goes first, and attacks first, and gets two more successful, by AC, attacks. He selects evens again. One even, one odd. He avoids the main damage, but the poison is enough to render him with no strength, so he falls helpless. Rimoge's attack hits for pretty nasty damage (45ish), and Astril summons his rays (since that is the way he was working). The Nightcrawler attacks Rimoge, and hits for a pathetic amount of damage, but fails to poison him. He is promptly wiped out.

That Night
The party has two casters, and one non-caster, so in order to give themselves and adequite amount of sleep and regain their points, Rimoge decides to take an 8 hour watch, and then Astril will take a 4 hour one. After some paranoia over the fact that he saw and heard nothing (nothing happened...), Astril takes over. He sees a ghostly figure approach him. It appears to be a wizard. "I am the wizard from the mountain, which you seek. I must warn you, you must not come to slay me. I beg of you," says the wizard. "Why not?" Inquires Astril. "I.... cannot tell you," says the wizard, "but I beg you, you musn't try to stop me. Go home, please." Then, the ghost disappears. Rimoge rolled high enough on his listen that he was able to hear it, even in his sleep. When he wakes in the morning, he and Astril agree not to pay heed to the wizard, and press on.

A New Day, A New Monster Horde
The PCs travel forth in the morning. When they get close to the base of the mountain, they are suddenly surrounded by a group of Yrthak. 12, to be exact. They are all 80 feet away, but in a big circle. Nobody really moves (the monsters are all going last), except Astril, who does another spellwarp. They approach 40 feet. Rimoge moves towards one, and smacks it (instant destruction!), Astril blasts 4 of them (40d6 is a lot of damage. Like, enough to destroy some monsters), and Savriel hits one for enough strength damage to render it useless. All of the monsters do their sonic attack (6d6 each) on Rimoge, and give him a nice 100 damage. They then destroy them pretty quickly (AoO can be a dangerous thing). A quick heal later, they're on their way up the mountain...

Misconseptions
The PCs get to the top of the mountain, where they find the evil wizard sleeping (I didn't have enough time to stat him out). They decide they're best off sticking a large sword (or Ranseur, if you prefer it called that) in his eye (as in, Coup de Grace). As he lies, bleeding and almost dead, he looks up at the PCs. "Ahh... you didn't heed my warnings.... You know, the only reason I was summoning that monster... was to kill it. You see, I was taking it from the future, where it would proceed to destroy the world... and taking it to this time.... so that I could kill it.... but now, I... can't... Ahh... he's your problem now... heh..." Then he dies. A loud, rumbling noise comes from not too far away.....

The Final Battle
A great beast rises from the ground. It has a skull-like dome protecting something, and 8 tentacles sticking out in the 8 cardinal directions. It's 200 feet away. Init reveals that it goes Astril, Savriel, 'It', and then Rimoge. With really good knowledge checks, they realize that the shell is immune to magic. Astril prepares his rays, and Savriel sings 3 songs (because he can), and gives good bonuses to everyone. 'It' moves to 35 feet away (it's got a huge move), and then Rimoge takes a 5-foot step forward and hits it. Astril prepares more rays (since I rule that he can), and then... Savriel uses his Continuum Powder. All of it. 10 rounds of that thing not being able to move. Rimoge beats the crap out of it for 2 with rage and frenzy. It gets a crack. Magic starts flying with blades, and the crack turns to the entire shell breaking in another 2. Now it's a brain and tentacles (which expanded 10 feet in all directions). 2 more rounds of massive damage renders it out of health. It's now out of health, so I rule that the PCs keep beating it up like that for another 4 rounds (time is still stopped), and then it massively explodes. They're covered in blood, but take no damage... through the entire battle. This was supposed to be an epic final encounter, and they destroy it.

Conclusion
I ask them if they go back to town. They say that (since the Wizard was staying in a little mountaintop cabin), they live in that. A week later, the timestream no longer allows them to live in a world that was not of their own, so they are absorbed back into those among the 'dead', forevermore peaceful.

-The End